April 23, 2024, 10:11:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bubonic plague case in Colorado  (Read 3472 times)
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« on: September 06, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/09/05/colorado-girl-recovering-from-bubonic-plague/

Colorado girl recovering from bubonic plague

Published September 06, 2012

Associated Press

The parents of 7-year-old Sierra Jane Downing thought she had the flu when she felt sick days after camping in southwest Colorado.

It wasn't until she had a seizure that her father knew something was seriously wrong and rushed her to a hospital in their town of Pagosa Springs. She had a 107-degree fever, and doctors were baffled by the cause.

"I didn't know what was going on. I just reacted," Sean Downing said. "I thought she died."

The Downings eventually learned their daughter was ill with one of the last things they would've thought: bubonic plague, a disease that wiped out one-third of Europe in the 14th century but is now exceedingly rare -- it hasn't been confirmed in Colorado since 2006 -- and treatable if caught early.

Federal health officials say they are aware of two other confirmed and one probable case of plague in the U.S. so far this year -- an average year.  ::snipping2::

West Nile, Hantavirus and now this.  I am going to crawl into my nice safe plastic bubble for awhile!

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/girl-contracted-bubonic-plague-set-leave-hospital/story?id=17196696#.UE010qDBnIU
Girl Who Contracted Bubonic Plague Set to Leave Hospital
September 9, 2012

Sierra Jane Downing, the 7-year-old Colorado girl who contracted the bubonic plague while camping with her family, has now taken her first steps since fighting for her life in a Denver hospital and is expected to leave the hospital, and the rare disease, behind her.
More...

Video at link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/girl-contracted-bubonic-plague-set-leave-hospital/story?id=17196696#.UE010qDBnIU
Girl Who Contracted Bubonic Plague Set to Leave Hospital
September 9, 2012

Sierra Jane Downing, the 7-year-old Colorado girl who contracted the bubonic plague while camping with her family, has now taken her first steps since fighting for her life in a Denver hospital and is expected to leave the hospital, and the rare disease, behind her.
More...

Video at link

That is good news.  I read where her temp was 107 when she was admitted!  Can you imagine having that kind of fever?   

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »

Another case:

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/09/19/oregon-plague-victim-loses-fingers-and-toes/

Oregon Plague Victim Loses Fingers And Toes
September 19, 2012 10:03 AM
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon man who nearly died from the plague in June has now lost his withered fingers and toes to the disease known as the Black Death.

Doctors amputated the blackened extremities of Paul “Steve” Gaylord in an operation that lasted 2 1/2 hours Monday at the St. Charles Medical Center in Bend.

The 60-year-old Prineville man told The Oregonian the surgery was a success but painful.

Surgeons removed his fingers to his palms, leaving half of his left thumb and less of his right one. They also cut off his toes and the top part of his right foot.

“I’m very happy to be alive,” Gaylord said. “I can’t change it. I want to get out of pain and be able to walk again and do things for myself.”

Gaylord was infected in June when he tried to remove a mouse from the throat of a choking cat. The plague-stricken cat bit him and a family friend. The friend was treated with antibiotics and never developed severe symptoms.   ::snipping2::

His family is trying to raise money and collect supplies to build him a new house because the trailer in which he had been living was dilapidated and unsafe. The family has collected $16,000 so far.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.