March 28, 2024, 02:13:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulane University Safety Devon Walker Seriously Injured  (Read 28488 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 04:55:27 PM »

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2012/12/tulanes_devon_walker_is_home_f.html
Tulane's Devon Walker is home for Christmas
December 25, 2012

Devon Walker is home today. It has been a long way home and it the Destrehan native won't stay there - there is more work to be done in a rehab facility in Atlanta.

But he is home for Christmas.
 ::snipping2::

To donate to Devon Walker's fund, go to http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/.

More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »

http://www.thehullabaloo.com/news/article_53c9157c-6634-11e2-8e82-0019bb30f31a.html
Saints surprise recovering Devon Walker
January 24, 2013

Three months after his injury, senior safety Devon Walker left his rehabilitation center and returned to his New Orleans home for the holidays.
Before going home, however, he celebrated his 22nd birthday with a surprise visit by the Saints football team. Coaches and players on the New Orleans Saints visited Walker, including Quarterback Drew Brees.
 ::snipping2::
The Walker family continues to maintain its privacy. The extent of Devon’s injury and the location of his rehabilitation facility have still not been released.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/06/219692801/back-at-school-injured-player-fights-on-after-fateful-tackle
Back At School, Injured Player Fights On After Fateful Tackle
September 6, 2013

When Devon Walker returned to the Tulane University campus last week, he was greeted with kisses in the hallways. Students and faculty applauded him.

One year ago this weekend, in the second game of the football season, Walker, a team captain for Tulane, went in for a tackle and broke his neck. He was paralyzed from the shoulders down.

For months, he recovered far from home in two different hospitals. But now he's back in Louisiana and re-enrolling at Tulane, in New Orleans.

A year later, the football team still prays for Walker's recovery while Walker himself is working for it. He's bound to a wheelchair. Just leaving the house in the morning takes 90 minutes and the help of a nurse.

Still, three days a week, he's at a rehabilitation center at Touro Infirmary in New Orleans, pushing his therapists to push him.

"I'll put it this way: Sometimes I need a break before Devon needs a break," says Holly Pellerito, Walker's occupational therapist. She worries that Walker might be trying to do too much, too soon.

But this young man has goals. He wants to graduate, with a degree in cell and molecular biology, in the spring. And physically, there's at least some reason for hope. In Walker's arm muscles, Pellerito says, there's twitching.
"So there's something there. There's some connection being made," she says. "So we're not gonna stop until we can try to make something functional."

The football team isn't giving up on Walker, either. Just before the season opener last week against Jackson State University, coach Johnson addressed his team. Then he introduced the player in the fresh, new No. 18 jersey, given to Walker just that night.

With that, Walker began to speak.

"There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already, and there's not much more that I can do that I haven't done already," he told the players. "The fact of the matter is, my days are up on playing football. Y'all days are still in front of you all."

Walker talked about where he had come from and where they might still go. He asked them to play that night as if they might never play again — to play hard always. And then they took the field.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:05 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tommytomlinson/2013/11/28/tulanes-devon-walker-my-sportsman-of-the-year/
Tulane's Devon Walker: My Sportsman of the Year
November 18, 2013

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »

http://www.wwltv.com/news/A-ray-of-hope-Once-paralyzed-photographer-draws-inspiration-from-Devon-Walker-236036811.html
A ray of hope: Once paralyzed photographer draws inspiration from Devon Walker
Posted December 18, 2013, Updated December 19, 2013

In November 2013 the Regional Emmy Awards honored WWL-TV for a story produced on Devon Walker, an injured Tulane Football player. The story was produced by Reporter Juan Kincaid and photographer Brian Lukas. Drawing an assignment for a news photographer is mostly a game of chance, who is available and unassigned to another story. Most photographers at WWL were assigned to Super Bowl stories in February 2013. Brian Lukas was assigned to accompany Juan Kincaid on a non-Super Bowl story of Devon Walker. The story was a moving experience for Juan and Brian, but especially for Brian, who had fought some of the same battles Walker is going through now.

Story and photos...

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.