March 28, 2024, 10:20:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Son Charged with Running Down His 72 YO Mom as She Lay on a Stretcher(LWOP)  (Read 5171 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: September 18, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »

He beat his elderly mother and then ran over her on the stretcher before being transported to the hospital.  He killed her.    He needs    He could have killed the emergency workers too.  

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/trial-opens-son-charged-in-moms-death
Trial opens; son charged in mom's death
Family had history of violence

September 18, 2012

Virginia Samuelson

Shaun David Samuelson

AUSTIN (KXAN) - A jury is in place and the trial under way Tuesday in the case of a 45-year-old man accused of running down his mother as she lay on a stretcher, about to be taken to a hospital.

The 72-year-old woman died that night, and her son, Shaun David Samuelson, is on trial, charged with murder - intentionally causing death.

On the evening of Sept. 29, Austin police and emergency medical workers were treating Virginia Samuelson at the intersection of Lamar Boulevard and Lamar Square Drive. Police said she was injured by her son, Shaun David Samuelson, at that location during a fight about money. She suffered injuries to her face and neck, according to Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services workers who responded to the scene.

EMS was taking photographs of Virginia Samuelson's injuries as she lay on a gurney, when they heard the sound of a truck accelerating toward them. The vehicle did not slow down and collided with the gurney, dragging the woman and the gurney beneath the truck for about 30 feet.

At the time, police said Shaun Samuelson got out of the vehicle and ran, but officers caught up to him.

::snipping2::

According to public records, the family had a history of violence. A protective order was filed in 2006 after an incident wherein Shaun Samuelson was accused of hitting his mother in the head with a metal rod after an argument concerning the remodeling of his condominium.

The case is before Judge Jim Coronado in the 427th Criminal District Court.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:00:51 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/courts/entries/2012/09/18/jury_watches_vidoe_of_killing.html
Jury watches video of killing as capital murder trial begins
September 18, 2012

A Travis County courtroom stood still this morning as a jury watched the rarest of evidence in a capital murder case: video of the killing.

It came from the dashboard camera of Austin police officer Joseph Hernandez, who had come to an Exxon station on South Lamar Boulevard last year after Virginia Samuelson called 911 to say she had been beaten by her mentally ill son.

Hernandez was heard on the video interviewing Samuelson, 72, about the incident. She told him that her son, Shaun Samuelson - who she said lived in Buda, had schizoaffective disorder and was “just plain mean” - had struck her in the face when she met him across the street earlier that evening to give him money. She told Hernandez that Shaun Samuelson drove a large black pickup.

Minutes later - at 7:18 p.m. on Sept. 29, 2011 — the loud screeching of tires rang out on the video.

Hernandez’s car had been pointed away from Virginia Samuelson so it did not show that she had been loaded onto a stretcher when a black pickup driven by her son came speeding at her, Hernandez testified.

The video did show the pickup come into view and drive onto nearby Lamar Square Drive. The stretcher was caught under the front part of Shaun Samuelson’s Ford pickup and a body fell into the road.

Moments later, an officer approached the body and repeatedly exclaimed: “Oh, my God.”

The body was that of Virginia Samuelson, who was pronounced dead by a paramedic moments later.

Two paramedics and police officers, including Hernandez, narrowly escaped being hit by the truck, Hernandez said.

Samuelson, 46, drove a short distance down Lamar Square Drive before he stopped, got out of the car and raised his hands in the air before being quickly arrested, Hernandez said.

Prosecutor Judy Shipway told jurors during her opening statement that after his arrest, Shaun Samuelson told police that he saw his mother drive to the convenience store and “realized that I was not going to see the light of day again.”

Quoting Samuelson, Shipway continued: “I was not going to let that bitch … get away with it — healthy, happy and free while I was in prison.”

Samuelson was temporarily declared incompetent to stand trial in November but later was declared competent. His mental health records are not publicly available.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »

From an earlier story, a little more background:
http://www.kvue.com/news/Neighbors-remember-Woman-killed-when-son-ran-over-her-stretcher-130891123.html

Neighbors remember mother police say was killed by son
by SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News
Bio | Email | Follow: @SheltonG_KVUE
kvue.com
Posted on September 30, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Updated Friday, Sep 30 at 10:11 PM

::snipping2::According to Austin police Virginia Samuelson and her son 45 year old Shaun Samuelson met in a neutral setting at an Exxon Station on South Lamar. Neighbors say that’s because Samuelson’s son had beaten his own mother on at least one occasion and she was afraid to let him inside her house.

The meeting took a turn for the worse around 7pm Thursday. Witnesses saw him reaching into his mother’s car window while he was beating her.

Shaun Samuelson took off before paramedics arrived to tend to his mother’s injuries. Police said he came back to the location and sped his truck toward his mother, who at this point was strapped onto a stretcher on her way to the hospital.  ::snipping2::

What a POS.  This "son" is evidently leaching off his mother, beats her as she is trying to give him money, and then runs over her as she is laying helplessly strapped to a gurney. 

I hope he gets the needle and quick; but he will milk the system, just like he milked his mother.  RIP, Ginger.  an angelic monkey

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/courts/entries/2012/09/19/samuelson_guilty_of_capital_mu.html
Samuelson guilty of capital murder for driving into his mother while she was on stretcher
September 19, 2012

A Travis County jury today found Shaun Samuelson guilty of capital murder for driving into his mother with his truck while she was being loaded onto an EMS gurney in South Austin last year.

Samuelson, 46, received an automatic life sentence in the killing of Virginia Samuelson, 72. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty.

Prosecutor Judy Shipway predicted in opening statements that jurors would have no problem finding Shaun Samuelson guilty and she was apparently correct. The jury returned its verdict after deliberating about 30 minutes.

During one full day of testimony they saw video of Samuelson driving into his mother and of a police interview in which he said that he drove into her on purpose.

“I was trying to hit my mom,” he told Austin police detectives Chris Smyth and Will White. “I felt nothing but such great rage toward her at that point.”

Samuelson, who lived in Buda and had not worked since the early 1990s, said he suffered from a hypersensitivity to certain chemicals, did not work and received a government assistance check. He said his mother had supplemented that with about $300 a month but that she had always patronized him, didn’t take his illness seriously and had not purchased him some land to put his trailer on or a washing machine.

He met her mother in a parking lot near Lamar Square Drive and South Lamar Boulevard on Sept. 29, 2011, so she could give him money, according to evidence at the trial.

They got into an argument, part of which Samuelson recorded on his cell phone, and after Virginia Samuelson refused to give him money, Shaun Samuelson hit her repeatedly in the face and head. In the video, shown to jurors, Shaun Samuelson said: “I will admit that I have no respect whatsoever for you,” he told her, “but it is because you have not shown me the respect that every human being deserves.”

His voice was angry and he did not allow his mother to speak. It cuts off before she was attacked.
Shaun Samuelson admitted to police that he had beaten his mother.

“I attacked her I won’t deny that… I grabbed her head and pulled her over and she started screaming, and I hit her in the head several times with the back of my hand … and told her you horrible bitch, you horrible goddamn tormenting bitch.”

He explained to White and Smith that he had backed away because he had gotten his rage out, but then he saw her go to the convenience store at the gas station.

“I realized then I wasn’t going to see the light of day again… I wasn’t going to let that bitch get away with that. I wasn’t going to let her be healthy and happy and free while I was in prison.”

Samuelson was convicted of capital murder — committing murder in the course of committing the felony crime of retaliation, which makes it a crime to harm someone who has reported a crime.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/jury-mulling-sons-fate-in-death-of-mom
Son guilty in murder of mother, 72
Drove into her ambulance gurney after fight

September 19, 2012

AUSTIN (KXAN) - The man charged with killing his mother by running over her while she was on an ambulance gurney last year was convicted Wednesday of capital murder. Shaun David Samuelson will serve life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The verdict and sentence came down a short time after the case went to the jury. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty. The trial started on Tuesday.

flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/courts/entries/2012/09/19/samuelson_guilty_of_capital_mu.html
Samuelson guilty of capital murder for driving into his mother while she was on stretcher
September 19, 2012

A Travis County jury today found Shaun Samuelson guilty of capital murder for driving into his mother with his truck while she was being loaded onto an EMS gurney in South Austin last year.

Samuelson, 46, received an automatic life sentence in the killing of Virginia Samuelson, 72. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty.

Prosecutor Judy Shipway predicted in opening statements that jurors would have no problem finding Shaun Samuelson guilty and she was apparently correct. The jury returned its verdict after deliberating about 30 minutes.

During one full day of testimony they saw video of Samuelson driving into his mother and of a police interview in which he said that he drove into her on purpose.

“I was trying to hit my mom,” he told Austin police detectives Chris Smyth and Will White. “I felt nothing but such great rage toward her at that point.”

Samuelson, who lived in Buda and had not worked since the early 1990s, said he suffered from a hypersensitivity to certain chemicals, did not work and received a government assistance check. He said his mother had supplemented that with about $300 a month but that she had always patronized him, didn’t take his illness seriously and had not purchased him some land to put his trailer on or a washing machine.

He met her mother in a parking lot near Lamar Square Drive and South Lamar Boulevard on Sept. 29, 2011, so she could give him money, according to evidence at the trial.

They got into an argument, part of which Samuelson recorded on his cell phone, and after Virginia Samuelson refused to give him money, Shaun Samuelson hit her repeatedly in the face and head. In the video, shown to jurors, Shaun Samuelson said: “I will admit that I have no respect whatsoever for you,” he told her, “but it is because you have not shown me the respect that every human being deserves.”

His voice was angry and he did not allow his mother to speak. It cuts off before she was attacked.
Shaun Samuelson admitted to police that he had beaten his mother.

“I attacked her I won’t deny that… I grabbed her head and pulled her over and she started screaming, and I hit her in the head several times with the back of my hand … and told her you horrible bitch, you horrible goddamn tormenting bitch.”

He explained to White and Smith that he had backed away because he had gotten his rage out, but then he saw her go to the convenience store at the gas station.

“I realized then I wasn’t going to see the light of day again… I wasn’t going to let that bitch get away with that. I wasn’t going to let her be healthy and happy and free while I was in prison.”

Samuelson was convicted of capital murder — committing murder in the course of committing the felony crime of retaliation, which makes it a crime to harm someone who has reported a crime.
More...

BBM

So let me get this straight, he kills her because his actions are going to send him to jail.  Did I get that right? 

What adult child expects his elderly mother to supplement his monthly income, buy him land, and household appliances?  What a whiney 3 year-old he is! 

Now he is going to live off of the taxpayers of the state of Texas for the rest of his miserable life.  I don't want to wish premature death on anyone, but he can feel free fall on a shank just any time soon.   

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/conviction-confirmed-for-man-who-killed-mother-on-/ng6mc/
Conviction confirmed for man who killed mother on stretcher
August 21, 2014

The Third Court of Appeals has affirmed the 2012 conviction of a man who was found guilty of capital murder for running over his mother with his pickup as medics were loading her onto a stretcher in South Austin.
Shaun David Samuelson, 48, had claimed that the trial court wrongly overruled his motion to suppress a recorded statement he made to police because he said police continued to question him despite his “unequivocal invocation of his right to counsel,” according to the appeals court opinion filed Thursday.
Samuelson also claimed that the trial court should not have overruled his objection to using as evidence video from the camera in a police officer’s patrol car that showed Samuelson’s mother saying that he had assaulted her.
“Even without considering the disputed evidence, there is overwhelming evidence to support the conviction of (Samuelson) for murdering his mother while she was reporting his earlier assault,” the opinion says. “EMTs and a police officer testified that they saw (Samuelson) drive his truck straight at his mother, killing her. (Samuelson) himself told police that he did it because she was talking to police and was going to send him to prison, which supports finding that he killed her in retaliation for her report. This evidence is more than sufficient to support the verdict.”
Samuelson was sentenced to life in prison on Sept. 19, 2012, after a jury spent about 30 minutes deliberating whether he was guilty of killing his mother, 72-year-old Virginia Samuelson.

After the assault, she crossed the street to an Exxon station and called police, according to testimony heard during the trial, and officers soon arrived with paramedics. She told an officer that her son had struck her in the head about 20 times and she was later loaded onto a stretcher.
Samuelson then drove into his mother with a pickup, according to testimony, and the officer and two paramedics narrowly escaped being hit.
The stretcher became stuck underneath the truck, and Virginia Samuelson was pronounced dead minutes later.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:47:32 AM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/conviction-confirmed-for-man-who-killed-mother-on-/ng6mc/
Conviction confirmed for man who killed mother on stretcher
August 21, 2014

The Third Court of Appeals has affirmed the 2012 conviction of a man who was found guilty of capital murder for running over his mother with his pickup as medics were loading her onto a stretcher in South Austin.
Shaun David Samuelson, 48, had claimed that the trial court wrongly overruled his motion to suppress a recorded statement he made to police because he said police continued to question him despite his “unequivocal invocation of his right to counsel,” according to the appeals court opinion filed Thursday.
Samuelson also claimed that the trial court should not have overruled his objection to using as evidence video from the camera in a police officer’s patrol car that showed Samuelson’s mother saying that he had assaulted her.
“Even without considering the disputed evidence, there is overwhelming evidence to support the conviction of (Samuelson) for murdering his mother while she was reporting his earlier assault,” the opinion says. “EMTs and a police officer testified that they saw (Samuelson) drive his truck straight at his mother, killing her. (Samuelson) himself told police that he did it because she was talking to police and was going to send him to prison, which supports finding that he killed her in retaliation for her report. This evidence is more than sufficient to support the verdict.”
Samuelson was sentenced to life in prison on Sept. 19, 2012, after a jury spent about 30 minutes deliberating whether he was guilty of killing his mother, 72-year-old Virginia Samuelson.

After the assault, she crossed the street to an Exxon station and called police, according to testimony heard during the trial, and officers soon arrived with paramedics. She told an officer that her son had struck her in the head about 20 times and she was later loaded onto a stretcher.
Samuelson then drove into his mother with a pickup, according to testimony, and the officer and two paramedics narrowly escaped being hit.
The stretcher became stuck underneath the truck, and Virginia Samuelson was pronounced dead minutes later.

Thank goodness!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.