April 19, 2024, 05:33:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Aflatoxin Corn Given the Ok by FDA and USDA"  (Read 1355 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 02, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

Aflatoxin was a reason to recall food.  Any less dangerous?  I don't think so.

Deadly aflatoxin contaminated corn in two states have been given the ok by federal authorities to be mixed with non-contaminated corn and fed to animals, another state has applied for approval.  Here's the risks ignored by federal authorities - risks to both humans and animals. (Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska)

From the FDA website "Aflatoxins are toxic by-products of mold growth on certain agricultural commodities.  Since their discovery in the early 1960's, aflatoxins have been shown to be carcinogenic to laboratory test animals."

Numerous pet food recalls in the past have been due to high aflatoxin levels.  The deadliest in 2005 by Diamond Pet Food - the most recent less than a year ago by Cargill Animal Nutrition.

FDA allows human food to contain less than 20 parts per billion (ppb) aflatoxin, however some animal foods are allowed to contain up to 300 ppb (in corn for feedlot beef cattle).  Pet foods must contain less than 20 ppb.

read more here - http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/aflatoxin-corn-given-the-ok-by-fda-and-usda.html

The rest of the article is pretty scary.  Be careful of what you eat and what you feed your pets. 

Their was an article I read last month about the Russians refusing GMO corn due to cancer and other health risks.  I wonder if it had a aflatoxin problem too.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.