April 26, 2024, 02:16:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMBER ALERT for Missing 10 YO Jessica Ridgeway, Westminster, CO(BODY FOUND)  (Read 871477 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1400 on: August 19, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »

Thank you for the updates, texasmom!  What a beautiful, colorful park!  I can't wait for the children to come and play and laugh at Jessica's park in October!
 Our angel, Jessica, must be looking down with approval and a smile on her face!  an angelic monkey

Video at the link

Volunteers finish construction on Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park
Posted on: 6:52 pm, August 17, 2013
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1401 on: August 29, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Jessica-Ridgeways-Accused-Killer-Back-In-Court-Ahead-Of-Upcoming-Trial-221645161.html

Jessica Ridgeway's Accused Killer Back In Court Ahead Of Upcoming Trial
Posted: Thu 9:04 AM, Aug 29, 2013

The brutal murder of a little girl shocked the state and rattled the community of Westminster last year.

As the year anniversary approaches, Jessica Ridgeway's alleged killer is preparing to stand trial for her murder.

Austin Sigg, who was 17 at the time of Jessica's death, is accused of abducting Jessica on the way to home, then mutilating her and discarding the body on the side of the road. Sigg has pleaded not guilty to the murder.

Sigg returns to court Thursday for a motions hearing.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1402 on: August 29, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »

http://kdvr.com/2013/08/29/prosecutor-siggs-lawyers-building-mental-trauma-defense/

Prosecutor: Sigg’s lawyers building mental trauma defense
Posted on: 11:59 am, August 29, 2013

GOLDEN, Colo. — Following a court appearance for the 18-year-old accused of kidnapping and murdering Westminster 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway, prosecutors asserted that Austin Sigg’s lawyers are attempting to build a mental trauma-related defense.

That is what Jefferson County Deputy District Attorney Hal Sargent deduced from the motions hearing Thursday, at which the defense introduced a University of Colorado-Boulder psychologist, Dr. Mari Banich, as an expert in neuroscience. Banich testified Thursday that adolescents with lesser-developed frontal lobes have a more difficult time planning and executing a plan than adults.

Though Banich has never evaluated Sigg, she is testifying as an expert in brain development — hence the reason for Sargent’s assertions.

“We are expecting the defense will introduce evidence of trauma,” Sargent said. “Not physical trauma, but mental trauma.”

Sargent went on to say the defense is not expected to make an insanity defense. Instead, it appears likely Sigg’s lawyers will argue that their client was not able to appropriately perceive his actions as criminal.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1403 on: September 01, 2013, 08:32:51 PM »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/justice-for-jessica-judge-agrees-to-allow-expert-on-brain-function-in-austin-sigg-murder-trial

Justice for Jessica: Judge agrees to allow expert on brain function in Austin Sigg murder trial
Posted: 08/29/2013
Last Updated: 3 days ago

The judge in Austin Sigg's murder trial agreed Thursday to allow testimony from an expert on the difference in brain function between adolescents and adults.

Marie Banich, Ph.D. is a professor of Psychology at the University of Colorado Boulder. Dr. Banich has not examined Sigg and will not testify specifically about him.

While questioning Dr. Banich, prosecutors said the defense is going to introduce "evidence of trauma" at the trial.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1404 on: September 01, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/08/29/judge-jury-pool-from-jeffco-ridgeway-murder-case/

Judge To Take Jury Pool From Jeffco In Ridgeway Murder Case
August 29, 2013 8:30 PM

GOLDEN, Colo. (CBS4)- The judge in the murder trial of Jessica Ridgeway will take a jury pool from Jefferson County in the high-profile case.

The judge decided to defer a change of venue decision and plans to bring in 800 men and women to screen for a jury panel. Then he will decide if Sigg can get a fair trial before making a venue decision.

The judge also allowed testimony from a defense witness who is an expert in childhood brain development. Prosecutors said the defense plans to introduce evidence that Sigg suffered a brain trauma.

The judge also denied the defense’s motion to continue the trial. That means jury selection will begin Sept. 20 with the trial scheduled to begin Oct. 3.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1405 on: September 02, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/08/29/judge-jury-pool-from-jeffco-ridgeway-murder-case/

Judge To Take Jury Pool From Jeffco In Ridgeway Murder Case
August 29, 2013 8:30 PM

GOLDEN, Colo. (CBS4)- The judge in the murder trial of Jessica Ridgeway will take a jury pool from Jefferson County in the high-profile case.

The judge decided to defer a change of venue decision and plans to bring in 800 men and women to screen for a jury panel. Then he will decide if Sigg can get a fair trial before making a venue decision.

The judge also allowed testimony from a defense witness who is an expert in childhood brain development. Prosecutors said the defense plans to introduce evidence that Sigg suffered a brain trauma.

The judge also denied the defense’s motion to continue the trial. That means jury selection will begin Sept. 20 with the trial scheduled to begin Oct. 3.

not a physical trauma, but a mental trauma

this is a new one for me when they are not asserting mentally insane.

So much to put the loved ones of Jessica through.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1406 on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »

This might be helpful in understanding the strategy by the defense in bringing in their witness to testify...

http://kdvr.com/2013/08/29/prosecutor-siggs-lawyers-building-mental-trauma-defense/

Sigg’s lawyers arguing for venue change, building mental trauma defense
Posted on: 11:59 am, August 29, 2013, by Will C. Holden, updated on: 07:09pm, August 29, 2013

During an earlier recess in Thursday’s motions hearing, prosecutors asserted that Austin Sigg’s lawyers are attempting to build a mental trauma-related defense.

That is what Jefferson County Deputy District Attorney Hal Sargent said he deduced from the defense’s introduction of Dr. Mari Banich, a University of Colorado-Boulder psychologist, as an expert in neuroscience. Banich testified Thursday that adolescents with lesser-developed frontal lobes have a more difficult time planning and executing a plan than adults.

Though Banich has never evaluated Sigg, she is testifying as an expert in brain development — hence the reason for Sargent’s assertions.

“We are expecting the defense will introduce evidence of trauma,” Sargent said. “Not physical trauma, but mental trauma.”

Sargent went on to say the defense is not expected to make an insanity defense. Instead, it appears likely Sigg’s lawyers will argue that their client was not able to appropriately perceive his actions as criminal.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1407 on: September 13, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »

This might be helpful in understanding the strategy by the defense in bringing in their witness to testify...

Sigg’s lawyers arguing for venue change, building mental trauma defense
Posted on: 11:59 am, August 29, 2013, by Will C. Holden, updated on: 07:09pm, August 29, 2013

During an earlier recess in Thursday’s motions hearing, prosecutors asserted that Austin Sigg’s lawyers are attempting to build a mental trauma-related defense.

That is what Jefferson County Deputy District Attorney Hal Sargent said he deduced from the defense’s introduction of Dr. Mari Banich, a University of Colorado-Boulder psychologist, as an expert in neuroscience. Banich testified Thursday that adolescents with lesser-developed frontal lobes have a more difficult time planning and executing a plan than adults.

I have studied trauma to the brain.  When the frontal lobe is damaged, there is also no sense of caution.  For example, if you want to walk from point A to point B, you will not necessarily look to see if there is something in your path, ie icy conditions, objects, etc.  Also, you have a tendency to accept everything at face value, ie someone comes to your front door and knocks, you open it with thinking of danger.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1408 on: September 14, 2013, 12:59:12 AM »

Thank you for the explanation, sister!   

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1409 on: September 20, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/jury-selection-begins-in-murder-trial-of-austin-sigg-accused-killer-of-10-year-old-jessica-ridgeway

Jury selection begins in murder trial of Austin Sigg, accused killer of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway
Posted: 09/20/2013
Last Updated: 1 hour ago
Ashleigh Walters, 7NEWS 

GOLDEN, Colo. - Jury selection began Friday in the case of Austin Sigg, the accused killer of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway.

People in the pool of jurors started to fill out a questionnaire that will be reviewed by defense attorneys and prosecutors over the weekend. On Tuesday, attorneys in Jefferson County court will begin questioning potential jurors and selecting who will serve on the jury in the murder trial.

Defense lawyers have asked for a change of venue for Sigg's trial, arguing it is impossible for Sigg to get a fair trial in Jefferson County due to extensive media coverage. The defense will have to attempt to seat a jury before the judge will rule on the change-of-venue motion.

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Oct. 3 and the trial is expected to last two and a half weeks.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1410 on: September 21, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »

an angelic monkey

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=662926710393221&set=a.510136749005552.85355785.504782636207630&type=1

Jessica Ridgeway's Legacy
September 19
WESTMINSTER CITY COUNCIL ANNOUNCES THE DEDICATION OF Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2013
10-10:30 A.M.
10765 MOORE STREET, WESTMINSTER

A brief ceremony is planned to officially dedicate the park in honor of Jessica.

The park is currently open and you may enjoy the park at any time.

If you plan to attend the dedication, please review the road closers, park access restrictions and parking locations listed below.

The park is small and access from the neighborhood is extremely limited. In expectation of a large crowd, please be aware of the following road closures and parking options if you choose to attend.

ROAD CLOSURES
To protect public safety, the following streets will be closed to traffic beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday, October 5:

108th Avenue - from Oak Street to Westmoor Drive
Lewis Street - from 108th Avenue to Moore Street
Moore Street - from 108th Avenue to 100th Avenue
107th Avenue - from Oak Street to 100th Avenue

PARKING OPTIONS
Signs will direct you to event parking at Westmoor Office Park, along Westmoor Drive north of 108th Avenue.

School buses will shuttle people from the parking lots to a drop-off site at 108th Avenue and Moore Street.

From the drop-off, it is a 0.2-mile walk to the park. Golf cart shuttles are available for those who require assistance to the park.

FB Event - www.facebook.com/events/1416537318561438/

Legacy Website - www.jessicaridgeway.com/2013/09/westminster-city-council-announces-the-dedication-of-jessica-ridgeway-memorial-park/ — at Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1411 on: September 21, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »

an angelic monkey

https://www.facebook.com/JessicaRidgewayLegacy/posts/654220147930544

Kari Thompson Blackman
It has been a week since they opened Jessica's park. I can't tell you how many children and families have come to enjoy it. It has been full of laughter and happiness all week. It makes my heart happy to see and hear the children playing there. At night I love to watch the purple lights reflect on the sculpture. This park is a step in the right direction of healing for this community. Thank you so much to the Ridgeway family...their strength to move forward each day is an inspiration to our neighborhood.  Also, thank you to the City of Westminster and all the donors who made this park possible. It is absolutely beautiful and a breath of fresh air. For you sweet Jessica..you will never, ever be forgotten!
September 2 at 12:08pm

Chris Ridgeway BIG DITTO!!!! I thank you all from the bottom of my heart, every time I am there I hear her laugh echo in all the laughter of the children playing there and I know she's joining them.
September 3 at 8:08am

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1412 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »

an angelic monkey

http://www.jessicaridgeway.com/2013/09/colorado-national-speedway-to-have-moment-of-silence-for-jessica/

Colorado National Speedway to Have Moment of Silence for Jessica
– POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 21, 2013
POSTED IN: EVENTS, FEATURED, FEATURED SLIDER, NEWS, TRIBUTE

Colorado National Speedway will be doing a Moment of Silence, a prayer and a special presentation to the Ridgeway Family to honor sweet ♥ Jessica ♥ during the Opening Ceremonies on Saturday, September 21, 2013.

Time trials start at 5:20 PM and the race will start at 6:30 PM, so be there by 5:15 PM so you don’t miss it!

For more information about the race this Saturday, go to www.coloradospeedway.com - it’s sure to be a great night at the races!

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1413 on: September 21, 2013, 11:53:37 PM »

an angelic monkey

http://www.jessicaridgeway.com/2013/09/colorado-national-speedway-to-have-moment-of-silence-for-jessica/

Colorado National Speedway to Have Moment of Silence for Jessica
– POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 21, 2013
POSTED IN: EVENTS, FEATURED, FEATURED SLIDER, NEWS, TRIBUTE

Colorado National Speedway will be doing a Moment of Silence, a prayer and a special presentation to the Ridgeway Family to honor sweet ♥ Jessica ♥ during the Opening Ceremonies on Saturday, September 21, 2013.

Time trials start at 5:20 PM and the race will start at 6:30 PM, so be there by 5:15 PM so you don’t miss it!

For more information about the race this Saturday, go to www.coloradospeedway.com - it’s sure to be a great night at the races!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=664180750267817&set=a.510136749005552.85355785.504782636207630&type=1

Jessica Ridgeway's Legacy
8 hours ago
It is with sadness and heavy heart I bring this news to you - CNS will not be honoring Jessica tonight at the race.

Tonight was to be a special night at the CNS to honor sweet Jessica. However, due to the loss of another beloved family member yesterday the Ridgeways will not be able to make it.

We thank you, the community, for all your love and continued support.

~ Angee

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1414 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Venue-Change-Denied-In-Trial-Of-Jessica-Ridgeway-Murder-Suspect-225024042.html

Venue Change Denied In Trial Of Jessica Ridgeway Murder Suspect

By: KKTV
Posted: Tue 8:18 AM, Sep 24, 2013

The suspect in the grisly murder of an elementary school student will be tried in the county where the crime took place.

A judge has denied a request for a change of venue in the upcoming trial of 18-year-old Austin Sigg.

Sigg is accused of abducting 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway while she was on her way to school last October, murdering her and then leaving her dismembered body on the side of the road near a Jefferson County open space. His attorneys argue that the high-profile nature of the case will prevent him from getting a fair trial in Jefferson County.

Jury selection is already underway for the trial. Jurors return to court Tuesday to be questioned by attorneys.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1415 on: September 25, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/justice-for-jessica-ridgeway-potential-jurors-in-austin-sigg-trial-face-questioning

Justice for Jessica Ridgeway: Potential jurors in Austin Sigg trial face questioning

Posted: 09/24/2013
Last Updated: 1 day ago

Deb Stanley Deb Stanley  | Email Me

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - Questioning began Tuesday for potential jurors in the trial of Austin Sigg.

Sigg, 18, is charged with the kidnapping, killing and dismembering of Jessica Ridgeway. The 10-year-old girl was kidnapped on her way to school on October 5, triggering a massive search. Her dismembered remains were found five days later in an open space field in Arvada.

People in the pool of jurors were initially called to court on Friday to fill out a questionnaire. Defense attorneys and prosecutors reviewed those forms over the weekend.

Sigg has pleaded not guilty. However, in a call to 911 last year, Sigg admitted to killing Ridgeway and to trying to kidnap the jogger.

"I murdered Jessica Ridgeway, I have proof that I did," Sigg is heard saying on the recording. "I'm giving myself up completely, there will be no resistance whatsoever."

When the dispatcher asked Sigg if he had a criminal history, he confessed to a second crime.

"The only other (incident) was Ketner Lake, where a woman was attacked. That was me," Sigg said.

Sigg is being tried for both cases.

Sigg's attorneys asked that the trial being moved away from Jefferson County saying in court documents that "massive" news coverage of the case had jeopardized Sigg's right to a fair trial.

However, our partners at the Denver Post reported that the judge denied the request to move the trial.

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Oct. 3 and the trial is expected to last two and a half weeks.

If convicted, Sigg faces life in prison with the possibility of parole after 40 years. Sigg, who is now 18, cannot face the death penalty because he was 17 at the time of the killing.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1416 on: September 27, 2013, 01:14:56 AM »

http://fox4kc.com/2013/09/25/jessica-ridgeways-family-prepares-for-colorado-murder-trial/

Jessica Ridgeway’s family prepares for Colorado murder trial
Posted on: 9:50 pm, September 25, 2013

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — It’s been almost a year since the body of Jessica Ridgeway was found dismembered in a Denver Colorado suburb. The man accused of killing her will soon head to trial.

Opening arguments are scheduled for October 3 in Austin Sigg’s murder trial in Colorado. Jessica lived there when she died, but has family in Independence, Mo.

They plan to travel to Colorado for Sigg’s trial.

Ridgeway’s family is still scraping together the money they need to make the trip. While they don’t think justice will truly be served in the case, they say they want to make sure Sigg won’t be able to hurt anyone else.

“It’s just been kind of numb. It’s like trying to put an end to it, and it just keeps getting brought back up,” said Angie Moss, Jessica’s grandmother

While 10-year-old Jessica was laid to rest in January, her family says they won’t have true closure until her killer is held responsible. In October of 2012, Sigg confessed to the kidnapping, murder and dismemberment of Jessica’s body.

According to reports, prosecutors in Colorado think Sigg’s attorneys may try for a mental state defense.

Jessica’s family hopes to be able to stay in Colorado long enough to see a finished playground be officially dedicated to Jessica. That’s scheduled for October 5, the one year anniversary of her disappearance.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1417 on: October 01, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/09/30/plea-deal-could-be-in-works-in-jessica-ridgeway-murder-case/

Plea Deal Could Be In Works In Jessica Ridgeway Murder Case
September 30, 2013 11:42 PM

GOLDEN, Colo. (CBS4) – There could be a plea deal just days before Jessica Ridgeway’s accused killer was to stand trial.

Ridgeway is a 10-year-old girl from Westminster who disappeared on her way to school last October and later found dead.

It was suddenly announced Monday afternoon that there would be a hearing for suspect Austin Sigg on Tuesday at 2 p.m. in Jefferson County District Court. The purpose is to discuss a possible plea deal in the very prominent case.

If the trial does happen, Sigg faces the possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison.

CBS4 legal analyst Karen Steinhauser is a former prosecutor. She says the victims and their families were consulted about a plea, but its unlikely they had the final say.

“That’s something that the prosecutors will listen to. It’s not going to be the deciding factor but there is the emotional toll in these kinds of cases. The emotional toll of trials is huge,” she said.

Sigg declined CBS4’s request to comment. There is a gag order in the case and none of the details of the possible plea deal have been made public.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1418 on: October 01, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »

(More pictures at the link)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jessica-ridgeways-legacy/jessicas-memorial-bench-dedication-speech/668810826471476

Jessica's Memorial Bench Dedication Speech
September 30, 2013 at 2:08pm
by Don Wick - Police Chief
Arvada Police Department

I think we all can agree that children are our most precious asset. I cannot imagine anything more difficult than the loss of a young child. It is difficult to comprehend how challenging this situation must be for the Ridgeway family and their friends. While the fact that we are together today is unfortunate, in its own way, it's a miracle.

Nearly a year ago when Jessica went missing, the Ridgeway family, friends, many people in the community and certainly police officers throughout the area, especially the Westminster police officers, began, in earnest, a frantic search for Jessica. This singular event brought a diversity of people together who had never met, some who hardly knew each other, and yet they came together for the common purpose of searching for Jessica. I vividly recall at every officer briefing after Jessica's disappearance, our supervisors talking wth our officers about the fact Jessica was missing, showing flyers of her, and encouraging them to get the posters out into the community. Community members volunteered their time to place flyers and posters throughout the community: inside stores, on sign posts, and on traffic signal lights. These flyers were everywhere. You could not help but know that Jessica was missing. To see a community come together in this way reinforces the belief that to all of us, children are our most precious asset.

I recall the afternoon that Jessica was found here in Arvada. Police officers, investigators, non-sworn employees, supervisors, and command officers immediately leaped into action. They all had one thing in common: they were collectively resolved to find and hold accountable the person or persons responsible. Every day, police officers see victims of crime, arrest suspects, handle cases, and otherwise deliver police services. Over time, officers don't remember all of the victims or specifics of the crimes they investigate, but on rare occasions, a crime is so difficult to comprehend, so difficult to understand, so difficult to get your head around, that you never forget it. I promise the Ridgeway family that none of us will ever forget Jessica. Jessica will live with every police officer, investigator, and all others who were involved in this case forever.

I stated earlier that the fact we are here together today is somehow in its own way, a miracle. I would like to talk about the miracle that Jessica has brought us. A miracle is an event not ascribable to human power or the laws of nature. If you are like me, you cannot begin to understand the how's and why's behind why we lost Jessica. It seems impossible to get your head around how something like this could happen. Our inability to comprehend such a thing makes it challenging to overcome and to find a way to carry on with our lives. I believe that herein lays Jessica's miracle.

Jessica's power brought her family, police investigators, commuity members, and others together in ways that would have been otherwise impossible. Jessica has made us all reflect upon our own lives, to reconsider what is important, and to once again recognize the value of life. Shortly after Jessica was found, a make-shift memorial was established across the roadway from where we are standing today. Who built this make-shift memorial? Of course the easy answer is everyone who visited the memorial. But is that true? Was Jessica's spirit guiding all those who visited? Over the course of several weeks, I visited the memorial multiple times. Each time, I saw the same thing: Moms and dads with their kids; business people all dressed up for work; hardened construction workers, bikers, and bicyclists riding along Leydon road. They all came for their own reasons, but what I saw was a community collectively weeping for the loss of this precious child. At the same time, every person was trying to make sense of this senseless act, and they were trying to learn for themselves how to overcome this and carry forward with their life. At Jessica's memorial service, there were probably a thousand people in attendance, and many thousands more who were there in spirit. While we all celebrated the life of this beautiful child, Jessica entered each of our hearts where she will remain forever.

Today, we are here to dedicate this bench. This is not just any ordinary bench. This bench represents Jessica's spirit, and the gift she has given us. This bench became a reality through the actions of many including Jessica's family, public safety employees, parks and public works employees, community members, and others. This is another example of Jessica's miracle. It's about her ability to bring such a diverse group of people together for a common purpose.

As I look at the stone bench, I realize that this bench is more like Jessica than we might think. The stone demonstrates her strength and character. The solid nature of the stone demonstrates how she brought various groups of people together for a common purpose, for solidarity, to speak out against such atrocities. And the stone will outlast us all. It will outlast rain, snow, wind, and other storms. The engraving on the stone is not just an engraving. Jessica's hand held the hand of the person who held the sandblaster which in the end, created this living piece for us. Now and in the future as we all visit this park and this memorial, Jessica will be forever present. If you sit on the bench, Jessica will sit beside you. If you stand and observe the bench, Jessica will stand beside you. As you walk these trails, Jessica's spirit will be in the wind that accompanies you. Pascal Mercier wrote in his book Night Train to Lisbon, "We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there."

I would like the Ridgeway family and friends to know one final thing. The day Jessica was found, she was in the hands of the most caring and loving people, especially our animal management officer and the crime scene investigators. You could not have asked for a better team of people than those officers from the Arvada and Westminster Police departments. We recognize that many police agencies were involved in this investigation, but none were as personally touched by this as those who dealt directly with Jessica and her family. I hope this provides you some comfort.

Based on what I have witnessed during this investigation, these police officers and members of our community give me hope. As we stand here today, there are thousands of missing children in the United States alone. I have no doubt that not only our local police officers, but officers from across the United Stats are vigilant in looking for these children. Each of us must accept the responsibility to watch out for our children to ensure that Jessica's loss is not in vain.

At the risk of forgetting to mention someone, I would like to personally thank all of my staff who worked on this case for putting forth their best efforts. You have made us all proud, once again, of the Arvada Police Department. And on behalf of us all, to the Westminster Police Department for this tireless investigative work and for bringing to justice the person responsible. I would like to thank the District Attorney's Office ahead of time for the arduous task that is ahead of them. I'd also like to thank Mike McDonnell and Gordon Reusink and the Arvada Parks staff for completing the work attributable to this memorial, and finally I would like to thank Shane from Living Stone Custom Engraving for their support and contributions in making this memorial a reality.

In closing, while we all mourn Jessica's loss, and while we continue to find a way to heal, I believe that Jessica has taught us all to be strong, to realize what's important in life, and to never fail to be a community, to work together, and to realize that people from all walks of life can come together and accomplish something greater than ourselves. For this, we will always be indebted to Jessica and the miracle she has brought to us all.

an angelic monkey

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1419 on: October 01, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »

http://www.9news.com/news/article/357693/222/Accused-Jessica-Ridgeway-killer-may-plead-Tuesday

Accused Jessica Ridgeway killer may plead Tuesday
10:57 PM, Sep 30, 2013

DENVER - A possible plea deal is in the works for the teenager accused of kidnapping and murdering Jessica Ridgeway.

A plea deal in the Austin Sigg case is expected to be revealed Tuesday afternoon in Jefferson County court.

Sigg is charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual assault, among other charges.

Investigators say Sigg confessed to murdering the 10-year-old Westminster girl who was kidnapped on her way to school last October.

Jury selection has been completed and opening arguments were set to begin Thursday.

9news legal analyst Scott Robinson anticipates the plea could also involve charges tied to an attempted kidnapping involving Sigg and a 22 year-old woman at Ketner Lake in May of 2012, about five months before Ridgeway disappeared.

Robinson said the Ketner Lake case could add several years to Sigg's sentence. For prosecutors to accept a plea, they would want to assurance Sigg would be getting as much jail time as possible.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.