May 28, 2024, 05:40:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Canada adds whopping 52,100 jobs in September"  (Read 1930 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 07, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »

Obama added 114,000?

The Canadian economy added a thumping 52,100 jobs in September, almost all of them full-time, defying expectations and bolstering the Bank of Canada's case for an eventual interest rate rise.

However, the unemployment rate rose modestly to 7.4 percent from 7.3 percent in August as more people participated in the labor market, Statistics Canada said in its release on Friday.

The economy has added an average of 21,600 jobs per month in the past six months. September saw 44,100 new full-time jobs and 8,000 part-time.

The median forecast in a survey of analysts was for 10,000 new jobs, and even the most optimistic forecast was only for 28,000, after August's rise of 34,300.

All the figures are seasonally adjusted...that did not appear to be an explanation for this September's overall job growth, as "educational services" saw 13,600 fewer positions during the month.

read more here - http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCABRE8940LC20121005?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

~~~~~~~

While it's true that few of the 770,000 new jobs created since the recession have been in the manufacturing sector, it is a myth most are low-paying service jobs, he said.

About 90 per cent of the new jobs pay above-average wages in fields such as construction, utilities and health-care and in professional, scientific and technical services.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/business/Economy+will+skilled+workers/7356263/story.html#ixzz28e2L1vlZ

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »

I don't understand, what is your point?
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »

I don't understand, what is your point?

Thank you for asking!

The population of the US is about 315 million and created 114,000 new jobs in September.  The population of Canada is about 35 million and they created about half as many jobs, 52,100 in September. 

Canada has about 11% of the US population and created half as many jobs.  Imagine if the US had created 500,000 jobs last month?  Most of them full time and good paying? 

I believe the US has the highest rate of business taxes.  No one else comes close.  Is this important?  I believe it is.

"Canada's business taxes are top notch"

If there’s ever a time to judge whether lower business taxes spur bigger investments, now is it.

In a thorough study of the world’s most developed economies and biggest emerging markets, Canada’s business tax regime ranked first for established countries, and second only to India when analyzing the whole group...

Overall, India ranked first, with a total tax index of 49.7, which means its total tax costs are 50.3 per cent lower than those in the U.S. Canada’s was 59.1, or 40.1 per cent lower. The next best developed economy was the United Kingdom, ranking sixth

read more here - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investment-ideas/streetwise/canadas-business-taxes-are-top-notch-globally/article4566317/

When I look at countries that are growing and creating jobs, I have to wonder why.  Lower taxes?  Lower costs?  Why is the US going into deeper debt and higher taxes?  Why would anyone want to +++++ growth in the US?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »

In my opinion, those reports are just not reliable.  There are too many uncontrolled variables that can impact the outcome of the reports.  Just the fact that political parties use such reports is enough to devalue them, imo.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »

And Canada has publicly funded healthcare!  How can they possibly do it?   
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:39 PM »

And Canada has publicly funded healthcare!  How can they possibly do it?   

Apparently it needs revamping -

"Fixing a Chevrolet health-care system that comes at Cadillac prices"

...Simpson points out that at an average annual compensation of $390,000, Canadian doctors rank in the top five globally. He argues that over the next decade physician compensation needs to be capped at the rate of inflation and suggests that user fees should be considered as a strategy to reduce demand. On the issue of a fee-for-service model, he quite rightly points out that the long delays patients experience could be addressed by more doctors working in group practices.

User fees?

Perhaps the greatest contribution Simpson makes in this book, though, is in defining “private.” In the phony war that occupies far too much of the health-care debate in our country, foes of change like to pretend that private means two-tier. It doesn’t, and Simpson persuasively distinguishes one from the other.

Chronic Condition is a great guide to models from around the world to be considered for reforms in Canada. Readers will find the lessons of history, global comparisons, abundant domestic data sets and the wisdom of one of Canada’s foremost commentators to guide them.

Two tier sounds like the US...the haves and have nots. 

read more here - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/book-reviews/fixing-a-chevrolet-health-care-system-that-comes-at-cadillac-prices/article4591508/?cmpid=rss1

I wonder what is in the book.  How do they do it?  Do they have open borders and amnesty?  Medicaid for illegal immigrants?  I don't think so.

The comments suggest there needs to be more privatization to improve access.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »

[Despite claims that Canada has the best health care system in the world, the truth is our government monopolies produce mediocre results at best, and at very high per capita costs. The problem? Canada is the only country in the developed world that forbids its citizens to buy private health insurance. This three-part series will examine what models there are other than the two extremes -- ours v. U.S. -- that permit a blend of public and private choices while ensuring everyone is covered regardless of their ability to pay.]
  There is a quiz about healthcare you can take at the site.

Our politicians are afraid to say so because medicare advocates and many voters insist that faith in our system be seen to be complete and enthusiastic, but we have among the longest waits for specialized treatment in the world. We are slow to approve the use of new technologies and drugs, and slower still to implement them because of bureaucratic central budgeting. We have 25% fewer doctors per capita than most Western nations and fewer nurses and other health workers, yet far more health bureaucrats — as many as 10 times more than Germany, for example.

According to the most recent Euro-Canada Health Consumer Index (ECHCI) published by Winnipeg's Frontier Centre for Public Policy and based on 2010 figures, Canada is fourth among developed nations in per capita spending on health, yet just 25th out of 34 countries in quality and accessibility of care. (The ECHCI does not include the United States because it has no universal health care system.)

read more here - http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/09/20/stop-the-fear-over-health-care

This article is from 09/2012 and is part one of a three part series.

Also from the article -
... that Canadians pay about 10% of their income each year for health care through their taxes. A family of four with an income of just over $100,000 pays about $11,400 a year in health care taxes. That is more than a comparable American family pays for private insurance since most Americans have all or some of their costs covered by employers.

I think a family of 4 would love to pay just $11,400 per year in health care taxes.  My experiences since Obamacare passed is that $11,400 won't buy you single coverage and that the cost of premiums is rising in double digits each year.  Many folks with insurance pay 20% - 100% of the cost.  Not sure where this guy is getting his information.  Americans also have deductibles, co-pays, and coinsurance.

The comments suggest readers want to know why other systems produce better results at lower costs.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.