April 27, 2024, 10:40:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Why Congress Doesn’t Work: Undermining Self-government"  (Read 1108 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 16, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »

Our nation’s core political problem is a loss of self-governance, and the restoration of self-governance cannot come from the election of a single leader who will fundamentally transform America. It will only come from changing the way we think about political conflict, breaking the cycle of incumbency that has destroyed electoral accountability, dispersing power that has become too centralized, and re-engaging citizens in the political realm. The biggest impediment to these changes is not the president—it’s Congress.

I think a president that circumvents Congress is also a problem.   We don't need an emperor, a dictator, or a one man show.

Imagine how much money local government would have if it wasn't cycled through the federal monstrosity? 

Changing the narrative from left vs. right to centrocrats vs. citizens is a necessary step. But it is not sufficient: Congress will not happily give up its power. That power must be taken away. One way to do this is to turn one of their own advantages against them: primary elections.

The centrocracy is the enemy. Bring it down, move decision-making closer to the people, and the real policy debates between left and right can begin. But this time, those debates will take place where they should: in the hearing rooms of the state legislatures, in town-hall meetings, in city council chambers, in neighborhoods and living rooms.

read more here - http://www.imaginativeconservative.org/2012/10/why-congress-doesnt-work-lawmakers.html

This is a lot of good discussion about how control of the process for electing moved from local people to incumbants. 

The article takes on the following challenges -

campaign reform

incumbency

gerrymandering

enlarging the House

I enjoyed this article and I think it gives a lot of good ideas for returning American to the land of opportunity for people willing to work and rise above their circumstances.  Lots of things to think about.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.