March 28, 2024, 08:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ---  (Read 6091 times)
Bill
Scared Monkey

---
« on: June 14, 2005, 09:53:36 AM »

---
mojo
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 10:21:45 AM »

couldn't agree more bill.

The state of the condition insults my intuition
Kelly
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 11:07:57 AM »

i agree

Kelly
westcoastguy
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 01:39:47 PM »

I hear what you're saying but when you've been online posting for several hours with the same people, it does tend to become very chatroom-like and saying g'nite and stuff like that tends to be the norm.
Whodini
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 09:40:40 PM »

Another hint.  When using the quote button, you don't have to quote the entire post of the user you are responding to.  The text can be edited so that if it is a really long post, you can reply to only the specifc portion of the posted comments.
Whodini
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 10:24:54 PM »

Quote from: "westcoastguy"
I hear what you're saying but when you've been online posting for several hours with the same people, it does tend to become very chatroom-like and saying g'nite and stuff like that tends to be the norm.

I hear what you are saying too.  BUT, you can also use the PM (private message) button.  That would keep the length down and for other people who do not know you (and who don't really care that you are going night night), it means they wouldn't have to wade through all that.

MODS, I think this thread (or a similar thread)should be a sticky.  Very Happy
Another K in Texas
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 11:45:02 PM »

I am a pro at forums, and most I visit have lots of chat among the old timers.  One is for a video game and the other is a texags.com.  

It is a huge site that can easily have a thousand people online at a time.
Chaumes
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 06:30:39 AM »

It's such a shame.  The breaking new threads in the last day or two are nothing like they were.
Curiosity
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 07:50:52 AM »

I think new members need to be reminded that there is a private message feature on this board. Since this is a phpbb, there should be a popup to alert members they have private messages. If it's not working it should be turned on in preferences. THe popup reminder about new messages should be reason enough to not have to tell someone that they have a private message. There is also a chit chat forum in General Discussions where such chatter should go. Maybe new members don't realize that or have forgotten.
LouLou
Scared Monkey

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 10:22:37 PM »

I just get tired ot scrolling through page after page of junk. Michael jackson jokes, eathquate stories, be right back, what I had for dinner, etc.

One lady remarked tonight something about her diet...so we had 3 pages of her diet new.  Another time it was, "gonna go take a bath"!

SUGGESTION: a daily limit on posts.  Even at 50 per day, it would greatly reign in some people who already have well over 1000 posts.  Apparently when you get to 999 the count resets to zero.

They should stop and remember that every time they posts they shove someone elses post in the background.  Many more deliberate people are no longer around.

SUGGESTION 2: AN ignore user button.

When you post everything you think, you are not thinking about what you are posting.
RB
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 10:29:27 PM »

Quote from: "LouLou"
I just get tired ot scrolling through page after page of junk. Michael jackson jokes, eathquate stories, be right back, what I had for dinner, etc.

One lady remarked tonight something about her diet...so we had 3 pages of her diet new.  Another time it was, "gonna go take a bath"!

SUGGESTION: a daily limit on posts.  Even at 50 per day, it would greatly reign in some people who already have well over 1000 posts.  Apparently when you get to 999 the count resets to zero.

They should stop and remember that every time they posts they shove someone elses post in the background.  Many more deliberate people are no longer around.

SUGGESTION 2: AN ignore user button.

When you post everything you think, you are not thinking about what you are posting.

Hi LouLou -

This has actually been discussed and we'll be working toward that, I think, in the next several weeks.  Right now we're tyring to get the forum organized so we can do this all more easily.  Thanks for your input though - your suggestions are terrific
GuyWdog
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 10:44:20 PM »

I operate a few web sites and message boards, and I know that all these Incesant "QUOTES" are killing the bandwidth on this site. I have grown so tired of seeing almost every post a quote of the same topic and in succession that I am staying away from this site. I too agree about the chat like feature. Maybe the Admins can start a Catagory Just for Chatting to other members....but that prob won't work either....I was coming to this site long before the Natalee issue, and to see the change is just QUIXOTIC...

GuyWdog
jenz
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 10:45:40 PM »

I agree. I come here when I can, and I click the last page of the post to see if anything has happened in the case, and most times it's stuff that has nothing at all to do with breaking news on the case. I have no problem with chatting on  message boards, but there is a place for that on here that no one really seems to use.
RB
Monkey Junky Jr.

---
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 11:21:31 PM »

Quote from: "jenz"
I agree. I come here when I can, and I click the last page of the post to see if anything has happened in the case, and most times it's stuff that has nothing at all to do with breaking news on the case. I have no problem with chatting on  message boards, but there is a place for that on here that no one really seems to use.

Guy and jenz -

We've been beginning to eliminate some of that, slowly but surely. I have been pruning stuff out of the threads last night and today, and we'll continue to do that.  Hopefully that should help everyone out.
Bill
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 11:31:17 PM »

---
RB
Monkey Junky Jr.

---
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 11:45:29 PM »

Bill, thanks Smile

I have just finished my first prune of the RBN thread and will continue to move stuff.  One thing I will say is that while I understand the idea of an "experienced" messageboard poster, some of these folks have had their own communities and there's a certain sense of comraderie they're accustomed to. That's not a bad thing, that's just the way it is.
Bill
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 11:51:59 PM »

---
RB
Monkey Junky Jr.

---
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 11:55:03 PM »

Quote from: "Bill"
Quote from: "RB"
...One thing I will say is that while I understand the idea of an "experienced" messageboard poster, some of these folks have had their own communities and there's a certain sense of comraderie they're accustomed to. That's not a bad thing, that's just the way it is.

I think that's about right.  Not a bad thing at all, my appreciation for the whole thing is so - um, there.

LOL yes I know...we understand people want to be active in that thread, but folks aren't on here 24 hrs a day (like those of us who need a labotomy) and ya'll want to catch up too. We want you to be able to see those posts relative to the topic at hand readily.
Elaine
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 02:26:42 AM »

RB   said :  We want you to be able to see those posts relative to the topic at hand readily.                                    AMEN!!! I couldn't agree more, and as was stated, there is the  pm feature, why don't they use that? Then they can chat away, lol., in private, lol.
GuyWdog
Scared Monkey

---
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 02:57:03 AM »

It appears that there are a few people that continually use the QUOTE feature and they USE it EVERY single post they make. And while they could just pick out the single line pr phrase that is petinent to their post they choose to quote 2-3-4-5-even 6 people in a row! check out page 34... It is Very distracting. Right now you can go look at the RBN forum and see 1 particular person that has quoted everyone and their brother-in-law. That one person is VEry distracting, and there are others that do this 2 but this 1 person does it every single post they make....there is a place tio use the quote feature but Not EVERY single time you post.

...just a thought...

GuyWdog
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.