March 28, 2024, 05:56:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Former Senator George McGovern Dead at 90 1922 - 2012  (Read 1429 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 21, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/george-mcgovern-dead-90-article-1.1188692
George McGovern dead at 90: Former senator and Richard Nixon presidential rival fought against Vietnam War
Spokesman says McGovern die

October 21, 2012

George McGovern, a longtime liberal icon whose run for the presidency against Richard Nixon in 1972 ended in a disastrous landslide, died early Sunday at a hospice in Sioux Falls, S.D. He was 90.

McGovern was a decorated bomber pilot during World War II, a liberal U.S. Senator from South Dakota, and a three-time candidate for president who became a crusader against world hunger later in his life.

“George McGovern dedicated his life to serving the country he loved,” said President Obama. “This hero of war became a champion for peace. ... George was a statesman of great conscience and conviction.”

But McGovern is ultimately best known for his worst defeat, the 1972 presidential election, when he lost 49 states to Nixon, who was not yet tainted by the Watergate break-in.
 ::snipping2::McGovern’s wife, Eleanor, died in 2007, and two of their five children have died. He is survived by his daughters Ann, Susan and Mary, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »

The 1972 Presidential Election was the first in which I was eligible to vote.  I was young, naive, and wanted to change the world.  McGovern, of course, was my choice.  I remember driving the the voting place and hearing that Nixon had already been declared winner even before I cast my vote.  Just to show the "establishment," I voted anyway.  I believe that was the only time I voted Democratic, but probably would have voted for JFK had I been old enough.   

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.