March 28, 2024, 02:36:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Katrina Smith, 30yr missing since 10/23/12 Machesney Park, IL(Body Found)  (Read 161329 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »

thanks Grace for the updates..

You're welcome, Cookie. 

There's a news conference this morning; maybe they will share some information that will encourage someone to call in a tip.   
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

http://www.gracefh.com/obituaries/Katrina-Smith/#/Obituary

November 13, 2012

Obituary for Katrina Ashley Smith
Katrina Ashley Smith, 30, of Machesney Park, Illinois left this world to be with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on October 22, 2012. Katrina was born July 16, 1982 in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. She graduated from Harlem High School in 2000 and attended Rock Valley College. Katrina was employed by Camryn Industries in Belvidere as a Human Resources Coordinator. As a member of Heartland Community Church, she loved working with children through Launch Ministries, volunteering, and helping others. Katrina was a warmhearted person who loved people, especially children. Her beautiful smile could light up any room and brought joy to all around her.

She had many hobbies and interests, including planning family gatherings, taking pictures of family and friends, and gardening (her favorite flowers were yellow carnations). Katrina also was an avid Chicago Bears fan, and enjoyed vacations at beaches and ocean fronts.

Katrina leaves many loving family and friends: husband Todd Smith, mother Vikki Nalevac, father Bruce Edlund, step daughters Paige, Devan, Sydnie, sister Miraynda Castro, brother Chad (Heather) Kaltved, grandmother Deloris Diventi and many aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, and close friends.

Visitations and Memorial Service will be at Heartland Community Church, 1280 S. Alpine Rd., Rockford, IL 61108. Visitations are Friday, November 16, 2012 from 5:00-9:00 pm. and Saturday, November 17, 2012 from 10:00am-11:00am. The Funeral Service will be held on Saturday, November 17, 2012 at 11:00 am. Pastor Gordy Smith of Heartland Community Church will officiate. Burial will be at Arlington Memorial Park, 6202 Charles St., following the funeral service. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Katrina Smith fund at Riverside Community Bank. Grace Funeral & Cremation Services is assisting the family. To share a memory or offer condolences please visit gracefh.com.
 ::snipping2::
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »

http://www.wrex.com/story/20083869/autopsy-completed-on-katrina-smith

Autopsy completed on Katrina Smith
Posted: Nov 13, 2012 10:34 AM CST

MACHESNEY PARK (WREX) -
The autopsy results are in for the woman who was found dead in the Rock River last Friday after being reported missing in Machesney Park in late October.

An autopsy was performed on the body of Katrina Smith by the Ogle County Coroner's Office on November 10. Results showed Smith suffered blunt force trauma. The case of her death is now being classified as a homicide.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »

Not much of a news conference... 

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582303003/Funeral-services-for-Katrina-Smith-this-weekend

Authorities rule Katrina Smith was a homicide victim
Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:09 AM
Last update Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

MACHESNEY PARK — An autopsy shows that Katrina Smith, 30, suffered “blunt force trauma” and her death was ruled a homicide.

That’s according to Winnebago County Sheriff’s Police who today released a one-sentence update of previous news releases
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »

A timeline for future reference.  Autopsy result on November 13, 2012.

http://rockrivertimes.com/2012/11/13/katrina-smith-case-ruled-a-homicide-after-autopsy-shows-she-died-of-blunt-force-trauma/

Katrina Smith case ruled a homicide after autopsy shows she died of blunt force trauma
Posted Nov. 12, 2012

Katrina Smith’s body was found around 1 p.m., Friday, Nov. 9, in the Rock River near the intersection of Route 2 and Townline Road, south of Byron, Ill. The Ogle County Coroner’s Office identified the body as Katrina Smith’s via dental records Nov. 10.

Rescuers who recovered the body said the body was covered in weeds and algae and had already begun to decompose. Her body was reportedly partially clothed, with the remaining clothes faded from likely being in the river for weeks.

Katrina Smith was last seen by her husband, Todd Smith, 45, at about 9 p.m., Monday, Oct. 22, at their Machesney Park residence at 8239 Tetterhall Lane.

Detectives have determined Katrina Smith was shopping at department stores in the area of North Second Street and Illinois Route 173 in Machesney Park between 7 and 8 p.m., Monday night, Oct. 22. She then reportedly returned to her residence in Machesney Park, and left around 9 p.m. to run additional errands.

Katrina Smith’s vehicle was found abandoned at Obispo and Ventura in Machesney Park at approximately 7:50 p.m., Oct. 23. Neighbors reported seeing the vehicle parked at that location earlier in the day, unoccupied.

Katrina Smith’s purse was recovered Wednesday, Oct. 24, a short distance from where the vehicle was located.

During a search conducted by family and friends Oct. 26, paper towels were recovered with a substance believed to be blood on them. These items were recovered in a field between Obispo and Ralston Road. Details about whether the blood on the paper towels belonged to Katrina Smith have not been released.

Katrina Smith’s cell phone was recovered in the 700 block of Ralston Thursday, Oct. 25.

Also Thursday, Oct. 25, Katrina Smith’s wallet was turned over to the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department. The wallet had been recovered by a citizen in the roadway of a Rockford street and turned in to a business as found property. Once it was determined the wallet was Katrina Smith’s, the business called the Rockford Police Department, which contacted the Sheriff’s Department. At this point, it is unknown if anything is missing from the wallet.

Tuesday, Oct. 30, police obtained a search warrant and searched the Smith residence on Tetterhall Lane.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2012, 04:12:01 PM »

blunt force trauma...being hit in the head with an object, having your head hit against a car by someone who is in a rage comes to mind...

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2012, 12:27:26 AM »

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/Katrina-Smiths-Death-Ruled-a-Homicide-179195221.html

Posted: Tue 5:15 PM, Nov 13, 2012
Reporter: Meghan Dwyer
Updated: Tue 5:41 PM, Nov 13, 2012

Katrina Smith’s Death Ruled a Homicide

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- There are new details in the case of a Machesney Park woman who was missing for nearly three weeks and whose body was found in the Rock River on Friday.

The autopsy showed that Katrina Smith died from blunt force trauma and police say that means Katrina was murdered. Today her family says they're willing to forgive whomever is responsible, but they're not giving up on justice.

Police aren't releasing any other details like where she was hurt or what might have been used at the murder weapon and they still won't say whether there are any suspects.
Today her brother Chad said even though the family saw it coming, they are relieved police are making progress but they're angry something so terrible happened to his sister.

“I can tell you right now that if you feel like you need to come forward we'd ask that that person does so,” said Chad Kalteved

The family has not said whether they have a suspect in mind. Before she was found they were really just focused on finding her and even now that they know it was murder, they are leaving the investigation to police and not pointing fingers.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2012, 12:42:32 AM »

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582303003/Funeral-services-for-Katrina-Smith-this-weekend

Investigators say Katrina Smith was beaten to death
Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:09 AM
Last update Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

ROCKFORD — Katrina Smith, 30, suffered “blunt force trauma,” and investigators believe she was a homicide victim.

Today was the first time authorities publicly classified the case as a homicide, but Sheriff Dick Meyers said, “We’ve treated it as a homicide from day one.”

Smith, a Machesney Park resident who had been missing since Oct. 22, was found Friday by an off-duty Byron firefighter fishing in the Rock River south of Byron.

An autopsy performed Saturday in Ogle County confirmed Winnebago County investigators’ suspicions that Smith’s disappearance was because of foul play.

“There were several points of blunt-force throughout the body,” Meyers said.
 As for how long Smith had been dead before she was discovered, Meyers said, “Every indication to us is she was in the river since the night she came up missing.”

Meyers said the next step entails awaiting analysis of evidence submitted to the Illinois State Police Crime Lab.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2012, 12:55:35 AM »

blunt force trauma...being hit in the head with an object, having your head hit against a car by someone who is in a rage comes to mind...

bbm^^^

Agree, cookie--"several points of blunt-force throughout the body"--beaten to death.   

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2012, 01:13:02 AM »

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582302977/We-want-justice-Siblings-talk-about-3-week-search-for-Katrina-Smith

'We want justice': Siblings talk post-search about Katrina Smith

MAX GERSH | RRSTAR.COM

Miraynda Castro listens as her brother, Chad Kaltved, talks about their late sister, Katrina Smith, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012, at the family's home in Rockford.

By Chris Green
RRSTAR.COM
Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:47 PM
Last update Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

ROCKFORD — What do you do with embarrassing pictures of your baby sister?

If you are Katrina Smith and your kid sister is Miraynda Castro, you cut them up, of course. Not to throw away, but to frame and encase them in coasters and offer them to family and friends to rest their drinks on.

“I was like, ‘Are you serious?’” Castro said.

Castro, 22, and Chad Kaltved, 38, said their sister, Katrina, definitely had a sense of humor.

The three-week search for the missing 30-year-old Machesney Park woman came to an end Saturday when an autopsy confirmed the body of a woman found the day before in the Rock River, just south of Byron, was that of Katrina.

Monday, Katrina’s two siblings gathered with others at a family member’s southeast side Rockford home and spoke at length about the woman who, on a daily basis, brought hundreds of people together for one cause.

They said Katrina was a wife and stepmother to three girls ages 21, 18 and 16. She worked with her husband, Todd, in insurance for seven years before working in the human resources department at Camryn Company in Belvidere.

When Katrina wasn’t working, she liked to take pictures and volunteer at Heartland Church and was an active participant in geocaching, a free community game that utilizes a GPS device to go on a treasure hunt.

Castro said her relationship with her sister was like that of many other sisters: shopping trips, going out to eat and simply talking anything and everything.

“She was always my rock and support system,” she said. “I’m going to miss her presence and her ability to make life easier.”

Kaltved, who is a member of the U.S. Army’s special operations and is on leave from training in Oklahoma, is stationed in Fort Bragg, N.C. He said Katrina traveled once a year to the East Coast to visit him, his wife and their five children. And when she wasn’t there, she was always a phone call away.

“She gave me good advice,” he said. “She was a good friend of my wife, too. She always was an ear that I could call to.”

While other family members in the home Monday wrote Katrina’s obituary, Castro and Kaltved thanked the community at large for their search efforts, supplies and prayers.

“We couldn’t have done this without them,” Kaltved said. “We just went out there every day thinking, ‘We’re going to find her.’ There were so many people who took charge. So many veterans came out. I even had a World War II veteran come out. There was just an outpouring of all the local businesses: Target, Panera Bread, Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Office Depot, Starbucks, FedEx. It didn’t stop."

Kaltved and Castro declined to talk about why, how or who caused their sister’s death, if indeed it was by foul play.

But until those questions are answered, Kaltved said there is no closure for the family.

“We want justice,” he said. “We’re not going to be happy until we find out who did this. ... We’re confident law enforcement is going to finish this thing.”

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:19 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/Findkatrinasmith

an angelic monkey

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2012, 01:19:24 AM »

::justice2NJ:: for Katrina!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »

Video at link

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=365202

Website Claims Katrina Smith's Husband Killed Her
By: Matt Mershon
Updated: November 15, 2012

MACHESNEY PARK - It's a provocative website which claims to know who killed Katrina Smith, even though its author claims he's never met her.  The website is called, ConvictToddSmith.com, which is practically self-explanatory.  The author of the website, Justin Raprager, is Todd Smith's estranged half-brother.

The website is full of allegations regarding Smith's past conviction on arson as a teenager and now his involvement in an insurance fraud case worth $45 million.  Raprager says he decided to create the website because Smith and his other half-brother, Dayne Coursey, were going to go to the press to blame him for the fire Smith set some 20 plus years ago.

"The minute that I heard he was trying to blame my father and they were trying to blame me for these fires, pushing the blame all around, I immediately felt very confident that he had something to do with this," said Raprager.

Court documents on the website reveal that Todd Smith, AKA Todd Raprager, set fire to his family's Machesney Park home back in 1985.  The documents say he confessed to having issues with his parents and set the fire to "scare" his mother.  Raprager says he was just 12 years-old when his brother Todd blew up the house, and he was inside while it happened.

"His 12 year-old little brother was in the house and he took a gas cap off and let it fill up," said Raprager. 

"This didn't just happen quickly, so he sat somewhere while the house filled up with gas knowing his family was about to die."

Raprager has no evidence to directly connect Todd Smith to the murder of his wife Katrina.  Police haven't named any suspects in the case yet either.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/Visitation-Tonight-for-Katrina-Smith-179734171.html?ref=171

Posted: Fri 5:12 PM, Nov 16, 2012
Visitation Tonight for Katrina Smith

The visitation is at Heartland Community Church and will continue until 9 o'clock tonight.

Funeral services will be held tomorrow at 11 a-m. In the meantime, the investigation into her death is still ongoing. Today, sheriff's deputies revisited the site where her body was found in the hopes of finding more evidence.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=365442

Hundreds Turn Out to Say Goodbye to Katrina Smith

By: Matt Mershon
Updated: November 16, 2012

ROCKFORD - Friends and family of Katrina Smith gathered Friday night to say goodbye to her, along with hundreds from the community who Smith had never met.  Her face became familiar to many when she went from being a missing person to a murder victim.

No one at Heartland Church wanted to be there on Friday.  It was the location of Smith's visitation and will be the location for her funeral on Saturday.  Smith went missing nearly three weeks ago on October 23rd and her body was discovered in the Rock River south of Byron.

Anybody with a connection to Katrina Smith came out to say goodbye  to her Friday night.  Many claimed their kids played sports together; some said they went to school with her.  Cynthia Abruzzo is a former neighbor of Katrina's family.

"Just a very sweet little girl, very neat, very girly," Abruzzo said as she described the little girl who grew up in the house next door.

Abruzzo says her daughter and Katrina used to play together when they were young.  She says they hadn't kept in touch with her family for decades, but she felt compelled to pay her respects anyway.

"I didn't even realize it was her," said Abruzzo.  "But every time I would see that picture in a lot of places that I went I would say, 'Have they found out anything about that?' because even before I realized it was Katrina it was still a heartbreaking story."

Many people in attendance didn't even know Smith, but all who said they've never met her say they wish that they had.

"We didn't understand the impact that it had on the community until the vigil," said Tammy English, a spokesperson for the family.

"A lady stepped forward and said she was just there.  She didn't know anybody in the family, she didn't know Katrina, and it was at that moment we began to realize that she was one of thousands."

Visitation continues on Saturday for Katrina Smith at Heartland Church at 1280 S. Alpine Road, Rockford.  Visitation is from 10:00 AM until 11:00 AM and a funeral to follow.  The family says the public is welcome.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2012, 11:38:31 PM »

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582305220/A-family-community-mourns-loss-of-Katrina-Smith

A family, community mourns loss of Katrina Smith

RRSTAR.COM
Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 08:58 PM
Last update Nov 17, 2012 @ 09:00 PM

About a week after Katrina Smith’s broken body was found in the Rock River south of Byron, hundreds gathered at Rockford’s Heartland Church to pay final respects Saturday to the beloved 30-year-old Machesney Park woman whose disappearance stunned a community and left her devastated family looking for answers.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/Findkatrinasmith

Findkatrinasmith
about an hour ago.

This Facebook page was started in an effort to find Katrina Smith who went missing on October 22, 2012. Katrina's story has united a community and impacted the lives of countless people. This page will continue to exist in honor of Katrina and as a reminder of what love in action looks like.

The family plans to begin a foundation for which a new Facebook page will be created in days to come. Please stay tuned for further details.

Thank you to the community, businesses, and organizations that poured out in an unprecedented way to be the strength and encouragement that supported the family.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

She goes shopping, returns home only to leave for an 'errand' and is killed from a beating.  I'd check the family finances and see if there were money issues.  Beating death tells me it was personal. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »

She goes shopping, returns home only to leave for an 'errand' and is killed from a beating.  I'd check the family finances and see if there were money issues.  Beating death tells me it was personal. 

Personal and from a person who was really angry.  RIP sweet lady.  My heart goes out to her family and all who love her.

an angelic monkey

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.