April 27, 2024, 03:33:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 46004 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »

Glad to hear everyone so far is OK.

I haven't heard from San since later yesterday.  The tide was supposed to be higher and I'm hoping she didn't flood more.

More likely her generator is out of fuel and phone needs charging.  I wish I'd hear from her.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:21 AM »

Glad to hear everyone so far is OK.

I haven't heard from San since later yesterday.  The tide was supposed to be higher and I'm hoping she didn't flood more.

More likely her generator is out of fuel and phone needs charging.  I wish I'd hear from her.

Thinking of San and her family this morning, and I hope you hear some news today and can update us Klaas.  Also, Kermit told us in Natalee's thread she's still waiting to hear from her family and friends in the storm area.  http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=13361.msg1544770#msg1544770

I hope communications can  improve so folks can contact their friends and family, and they are safe and can start working toward recovery.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2012, 07:41:33 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/01/officials-search-for-2-missing-boys-swept-away-from-mother-during-sandy/
Officials search for 2 missing boys swept away from mother during Sandy
November 1, 2012
Police officers are searching for two brothers who were swept away from their SUV during Monster Storm Sandy Monday.

Connor and Brandon Moore were torn from their mother Glenda's arms by rising floodwaters as she desperately clung to them in a Staten Island street, The New York Daily News reports.

“The waves just came and started crashing on the car,” the woman's sister told the paper. “She said she got shoved, and then the wave just took the car and flipped it over. She was knocked down.”

The boys, who are 2 and 4, disappeared and their mother was forced to swim to save her own life.

She spent the night cowering in a doorstep until the storm passed, and eventually found her way to police. She had hypothermia, and said she had spent the night knocking on doors but no one was willing to let her in.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2012, 07:47:35 AM »

I heard on the televised news this morning there is limited service with free buses in NY.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57543458/new-yorks-subways-return-to-service-for-1st-time-since-superstorm-sandy/
New York's subways return to service for 1st time since superstorm Sandy
November 1, 2012

New Yorkers began lining up at subway stops by 5 a.m. Thursday, an hour before the subways were to resume limited service. The predawn commuters waiting at platforms included construction workers, shop owners and executives.

The decision to reopen undamaged parts of the nation's largest transit system came as the region struggled to find its way back from a storm that killed more than 70 people and left more than 5 million without power.

Two of the region's main airports opened Wednesday and officials promised that the third, LaGuardia Airport, would return to service Thursday. Actors and eager audiences brought darkened Broadway theaters back to life. And New Yorkers packed on to buses that returned for the first time to city streets since the storm, joining a throng of gridlocked traffic that navigated the city without working stop lights.

Across the region, people stricken by the storm pulled together, in some cases providing comfort to those left homeless, in others offering hot showers and electrical outlets for charging cellphones to those without power.
 ::snipping2::That was already beginning Wednesday, when masses of people walked shoulder-to-shoulder across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan for work, reversing the escape scenes from the Sept. 11 terror attack and the blackout of 2003. They reached an island, where many people took the lack of power and water and transportation as a personal challenge.

On Third Avenue, people gathered like refugees around a campfire. But instead of crackling flames, their warmth came from more advanced technology: a power strip that had been offered to charge cellphones.

At a fire hydrant on West 16th Street, 9-year-old Shiyin Ge and her brother, 12-year-old Shiyuan Ge, stood in line to fill up buckets of water. But unlike the adults, the two kids held plastic Halloween candy pails painted with grinning jack-o-lanterns.

"There's no water in our house," said Shiyin Ge, who had planned to dress up as a ladybug for Halloween.

After suffering the worst disaster in its 108-year-old history, the subways were to roll again — at least some of them. More than a dozen of the lines would offer some service, but none below Manhattan's 34th Street, a line of demarcation in the city separating the hardest-hit residents from those who escaped the brunt.
The biggest challenge remains pumping floodwaters out of tunnels, and the U.S. military is helping.

"We're bringing pumps in now," Lt. Gen. Thomas Bostick, commander of the Army Corps of Engineers, told "CBS Evening News" anchor Scott Pelley. "They pump out about 28,000 gallons per minute. To put that in understandable terms, it'll empty a pool, an Olympic-size pool, in about 20 minutes. We're trying to figure out how many pools we have in New York City."

The airports and subways weren't the only transportation systems returning to the region. Suburban trains started running for the first time on Wednesday, and Amtrak's Northeast Corridor was to take commuters from city to city for on Friday for the first time since the storm.

From West Virginia to the Jersey Shore, the storm's damage was still being felt, and seen.
Farther north in Hoboken, just across the Hudson River from Manhattan, nearly 20,000 residents remained stranded in their homes, amid accusations that officials have been slow to deliver food and water. One man blew up an air mattress and floated to City Hall, demanding to know why supplies hadn't gotten out. At least one-fourth of the city's residents are flooded and 90 percent are without power.
(2 pgs)

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2012, 02:01:15 PM »

I'm shocked we never lost power no trees down in my  house at all ..
My Daughter lives 20 minutes away and lost her power at 11:00 am Sunday and lost a lot of large trees.
They told her no power for two more days.

20 minutes from my house to the shore line is devastating  most of the places we go to eat  are gone friends home are gone  too ,how sad

I'm glad you checked in Blonde and have power and no trees down.  I remember before when you weren't so lucky and ended up staying in your recreational vehicle, which was a nice one, but not the same as being home in your own bed.  The weather can be so strange.  I guess it took a zig and and a zag and missed you but caught your daughter.  It's sad about her trees.   

I am glad you are safe, Blonde.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/about/tune_in.htm

Timex count down clock to the start of race.
Nothing stops the human spirit. an angelic monkey

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »

State troopers deployed as tensions boil at gas stations in Sandy's wake
By Greg Wilson
Published November 01, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/01/tensions-boil-over-at-gas-stations-as-pumps-run-dry-in-wake-sandy/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/news/local/hurricane-sandy

Hurricane Sandy

NYC, City, updated information, if anyone is interested.

Heartbreaking on NYC News: people with no water, no food or no electricity. Sad

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

Food, water centers set to open in Coney, Staten islands; NY-NJ ports open
Posted: 2:09 PM, November 1, 2012

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/food_water_centers_set_to_open_in_hfLynUnfzbq5odn0nZfHLI

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »

http://music.yahoo.com/news/nbc-hold-benefit-concert-sandy-victims-152129397.html

..NBC to hold a benefit concert for Sandy victims

Associated Press – November 1, 2012- 14 minutes ago (about, 3:45 p.m)

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC will hold a benefit concert Friday for victims of Hurricane Sandy featuring some artists native to the areas hardest hit.

Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi of New Jersey and Billy Joel of Long Island are scheduled to appear at the concert, hosted by "Today" show co-host Matt Lauer.

The telecast will benefit the American Red Cross and will be shown on NBC and its cable stations including Bravo, CNBC, USA, MSNBC and E! Other networks are invited to join in and the concert will be simulcast on Bruce Springsteen's E Street Radio on SiriusXM.

more...

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »

First the good news, SAN has power    Also, everyone in her family is safe 

Bad news, one entire floor of San's house flooded.  They have a lot of damage.  No heat yet the last I heard.  Please keep her and her family in your thoughts.  Not sure what their next step is.  Right now they are going thru and throwing away everything including furniture that is ruined.   

Keep in mind when this area floods it's not just sea water it's also sewage.   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »

First the good news, SAN has power    Also, everyone in her family is safe 

Bad news, one entire floor of San's house flooded.  They have a lot of damage.  No heat yet the last I heard.  Please keep her and her family in your thoughts.  Not sure what their next step is.  Right now they are going thru and throwing away everything including furniture that is ruined.   

Keep in mind when this area floods it's not just sea water it's also sewage.   

Thank you for giving us the update Klaas, and I'm glad to hear SAN has power and her family is safe.     I'm so sorry there was so much water damage.   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20171227
Sandy death toll hits 80 and keeps rising
November 1, 2012

More than 80 people are now known to have died in the US, 37 in New York City alone, and others remain missing.

About 4.5 million customers in 12 states are still without power, and chronic fuel shortages persist.

The National Guard is to deliver a million meals and bottled water to New Yorkers affected by the storm.

The number of dead in the US has exceeded the toll from the Caribbean, where 69 people were killed by Sandy.

The storm could cost the US $50bn (£31bn), according to forecasting firm Eqecat, doubling the previous estimate.
In New York, limited subway services returned on Thursday, though four of the seven train tunnels under the East river remained flooded.

Fares on commuter trains, subways and buses have been temporarily waived in a bid to entice commuters off the traffic-choked roads.

Many of the petrol stations in the city and the state of New Jersey remained closed, and fights broke out amid long queues on forecourts.

The city authorities are only permitting vehicles with three passengers or more to cross into Manhattan.

Amtrak plans to restart its East Coast service - the busiest train line in the US - on Friday.

In lower Manhattan, where Sandy brought a record 14ft (4.2m) tidal surge, subway services are still closed and hundreds of thousands of homes without power.
The death toll rose overnight as the extent of destruction became clearer in the south-western New York City borough of Staten Island, where at least 15 bodies have been recovered.

The storm, one of the biggest to hit the US in decades, swamped the low-lying district with tidal surges, lifting whole houses off their foundations.

Many residents in that community ignored official evacuation warnings and stayed behind to guard their homes.
 ::snipping2::Two boys, aged two and four, are missing after they were torn from their mother's arms by floodwaters, as they emerged from their vehicle.

Police searching the area found a body on Thursday morning, the New York Post reports.

An 89-year-old woman died after spending 12 hours in her deluged Staten Island home, reports the New York Daily News.
Her 65-year-old daughter was unable to save her. Helpless neighbours heard their screams for help but could not reach them.

Also on Staten Island, John Filipowicz, 51, and his 20-year-old son John were found dead under debris in the basement of their home.

Breezy Point, in New York City, where fire razed 111 homes, was described by one onlooker as resembling a war zone.

Emergency crews are working to reach the most badly hit areas.

In Hoboken, New Jersey, across the Hudson River from New York City, some 20,000 people were still trapped in their homes amid sewage-tainted floodwaters.

The National Guard is helping with evacuations and meal distributions.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »

So sad.

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/2-NYC-boys-found-dead-swept-away-by-storm-waters-4001817.php
2 NYC boys found dead, swept away by storm waters
November 1, 2012

NEW YORK (AP) — Two young brothers swept from the arms of their mother by the violent sea at the height of Superstorm Sandy were found dead in a marsh Thursday, a tragic exclamation mark on an epic storm.

The boys, 2-year-old Brandon and 4-year-old Connor Moore, were sucked into the swirling floodwaters as their mother, Glenda Moore, tried to escape her SUV after it stalled Monday in the deluge on Staten Island, one of the areas hardest hit by the storm that has claimed 90 lives.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/01/3-day-search-for-ship-captain-off-north-carolina-coast-halted/
3-day search for ship captain off North Carolina coast halted
November 1, 2012

ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. –  The Coast Guard is halting its search for the captain of a tall ship that sank off the North Carolina coast during Hurricane Sandy.

The Coast Guard said Thursday its search with ships, helicopters, and large planes failed to find 63-year-old Robin Walbridge of St. Petersburg, Fla.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »

OMGosh.  Some folks may have to go quite a while without power.   

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/nyregion/power-restoration-after-hurricane-sandy-may-take-longer-than-expected.html?google_editors_picks=true
Wait for Power May Linger for Some
November 1, 2012

::snipping2::Power companies in the region had been using the ballpark estimate of “at least a week” to signal how long it could take to restore all of the power knocked out by Hurricane Sandy. But as they have started assessing the situation more closely in many neighborhoods and suburban towns, they have begun trying to lower expectations.

Consolidated Edison, for example, tucked an especially dire note into a news release on Thursday afternoon. It said the “vast majority” of its customers in New York City and the northern suburbs should have power by Nov. 11, but a significant number could remain in the dark for a week or more beyond that.

John Miksad, the company’s senior vice president for electric operations, said some “stragglers” might not get electricity again until the middle of this month. Those living through the worst-case situation may account for just a few percent of the 850,000 Con Edison customers who lost power, but their numbers could still add up to tens of thousands of households.

The customers’ plight is largely a function of circumstance, said Michael S. Clendenin, a spokesman for Con Edison. The company is planning repairs based on efficiency, he said. So repairs that will bring the most customers back go to the top of the list.

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »

They are forgetting about Staten Island.  They are known at the Forgotten Borough. Some areas are looking for the Red Cross and they were no where to be found.  It would have been a relief to people if they would have even seen a truck or something pass by and they didn't.  Only last night did they set something up for relief.  The Borough President called the Red Cross an Absolute Disgrace and he urged people to don't donate any money to them.  Do you think that is why something was set up so quickly.

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-si-borough-president-calls-red-cross-response-an-absolute-disgrace-20121101,0,2281357.story
crazybabyborg
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »

They are forgetting about Staten Island.  They are known at the Forgotten Borough. Some areas are looking for the Red Cross and they were no where to be found.  It would have been a relief to people if they would have even seen a truck or something pass by and they didn't.  Only last night did they set something up for relief.  The Borough President called the Red Cross an Absolute Disgrace and he urged people to don't donate any money to them.  Do you think that is why something was set up so quickly.

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-si-borough-president-calls-red-cross-response-an-absolute-disgrace-20121101,0,2281357.story

SAN!    It's so good to "see" you! You've been in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that you'll continue to get through this without too much duress! I've been seeing the problems on Staten Island. There are actually shelters closing and people are being displaced. One man from a shelter being closed was having to move into a high school gym and he had a liver transplant days before the hurricane and is having medical problems. Apparently some of the hotels, etc that have been made available to victims of the hurricane at reduced rates are being turned out for people coming in for the marathon. There is no power and many have lost their homes all together. There's no gas, and the streets haven't been cleared so mobility is impossible. They need a real police presence because looting is becoming a problem and I just saw one resident say there are still dead being found there. Theo Rossi, "Juice" on Sons of Anarchy, was on Staten Island when the storm hit and hasn't left since. He did a very telling article hoping to draw attention to their plight. Here's an excerpt and link:

“It’s so bad here, a lot worse than how its being portrayed by the media. They are finding bodies left and right, elderly people who don’t even watch the news or who knew the storm was coming. I was just with one of my best friends from high school and college, and his house is completely gone. One story I heard was about this one guy who evacuated his house during Hurricane Irene but then it got looted. So when they told him to evacuate for Sandy, he said, ‘I’m not leaving.’ Now they can’t find him, his 13-year-old daughter is dead, and his wife is in critical condition at the hospital. These are the stories. My stepfather and my mother, I love them to death. But when they heard the storm was coming, they said, ‘It’s not going to be that bad. Irene didn’t do anything.’ They had two flashlights and a couple of scented candles. Little did they know. It’s just not worth it. If you’re told to evacuate, you need to get out.

The one weird thing is how there is no power. The other weird thing is how there’s no gas. To get gas requires a three-and-a-half hour wait. It’s like this odd, post-apocalyptic kind of thing. Most trees are down. Power lines are down. It’s like a movie, or like The Walking Dead. You can’t believe it. Especially when you grow up here. I moved to Los Angeles in 1999, but this has always been my home. There’s the place I kissed a girl, that’s the place I played handball. I know this island in and out. To see it completely destroyed is bizarre.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/02/sons-of-anarchy-irene-staten-island/
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »

Hi Monkeys & San Smile

I was naive thinking the marathon was to help the human spirit.

Who is paying for the generators for the marathon, is it the runners-fee? TIA

Not sure, if this article is 100 percent accurate, tabloids, sometimes, exaggerate.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/this_is_no_way_to_get_us_up_running_egrMk4ukpzFCGhSF8oM5kN

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.