April 27, 2024, 03:27:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 46003 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »

Nor'easter on track to hit weather-beaten New York, New Jersey
Published November 05, 2012

NEW YORK –  A week after Superstorm Sandy pummeled the East Coast, wiping out entire communities, residents were bracing for yet another potentially damaging storm.

A nor'easter taking shape Monday in the Gulf of Mexico was expected to begin its march up the coast, eventually passing within 50 to 100 miles of the wounded New Jersey coastline on Wednesday. The storm was expected to bring winds of up to 55 mph, coastal flooding, up to 2 inches of rain along the shore, and several inches of snow to Pennsylvania and New York.

<snipped>

Read More:
http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/11/05/noreaster-on-track-to-hit-weather-beaten-new-york-new-jersey/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »

Here we go again Nor'easter hitting us today
 rain sleet snow high winds up to 50 mph

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »

Stay safe Blonde, and please update us on conditions when you're able. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »

We have about 5 inches of snow now. The  wind is blowing about 25- 40 mph just watching all of my trees bend in half makes me nervous we have 67 trees around our yard . We have the pellet stove going. Now that hubby is home we I mean He need to bring in wood ASAP in case we loose power sighhh

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »

We have about 5 inches of snow now. The  wind is blowing about 25- 40 mph just watching all of my trees bend in half makes me nervous we have 67 trees around our yard . We have the pellet stove going. Now that hubby is home we I mean He need to bring in wood ASAP in case we loose power sighhh

That sounds like some very serious weather!  It's good your hubby is home, and can bring in wood. Hopefully your power will stay on.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »

Nor'easter bears down on Sandy-battered NYC and New Jersey
Published November 07, 2012

NEW YORK –  A nor'easter blustered into New York and New Jersey on Wednesday with rain and wet snow, plunging homes right back into darkness and inflicting another round of misery on thousands of people still reeling from Superstorm Sandy.

Under ordinary circumstances, a storm of this sort wouldn't be a big deal, but large swaths of the landscape were still an open wound, with the electrical system highly fragile and many of Sandy's victims still mucking out their homes and cars and shivering in the deepening cold.

As the nor'easter closed in, thousands of people in low-lying neighborhoods staggered by the superstorm just over a week ago were urged to clear out. Authorities warned that rain and 60 mph gusts in the evening and overnight could swamp homes all over again, topple trees wrenched loose by Sandy, and erase some of the hard-won progress made in restoring power to millions of customers.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/11/07/sandy-battered-nyc-and-nj-prepare-for-noreaster/

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »

What a nightmare!!

Take care Blonde.  Please keep up updated.

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »

With another Northeast storm, cancellations pile up as airlines take no chances
Published November 07, 2012

NEW YORK –  Major airlines scrapped flights in and out of the New York area Wednesday as the region was socked with the second significant storm in little more than a week.

United and American suspended operations in the region by afternoon, as white-out conditions developed. Other airlines have cancelled flights too. All are encouraging passengers to reschedule are allowing them to do it for free.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/11/07/with-impending-northeast-storm-cancellations-pile-up-as-airlines-take-no/?intcmp=related

_____

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2012, 05:39:36 AM »

That's a lot of trees to worry about!  Stay safe Blonde!   an angelic monkey
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »

We got 10'' of  powerd snow  so no power outages thank God .
Still cold and drifts up to the doors, school is closed roads aren't plowed good yet just 4x4 can get out .Remind me why I live here..

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »

Still cold and drifts up to the doors, school is closed roads aren't plowed good yet just 4x4 can get out .Remind me why I live here..

Brrr!  That's still a lot of snow and cold!  I hope you can stay in until the roads are plowed.  But how long might that be?   

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2012, 10:00:54 AM »

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »

Still cold and drifts up to the doors, school is closed roads aren't plowed good yet just 4x4 can get out . Remind me why I live here..

10" of snow!!

Think back two weeks hon.  My neighbour and her friend were in NY and their getaway was wonderful in every aspect.  Sights!  People!  Weather! Travel!

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

Forgotten by FEMA: Volunteers step up in storm-ravaged NYC borough
Published November 08, 2012

Volunteers and disaster victims have taken rescue, recovery and security into their own hands on New York's storm-ravaged borough of Staten Island, where they say FEMA has forgotten them.

Already without power for more than a week in the wake of superstorm Sandy, hard-hit residents of the borough's South Shore braved a nor'easter Wednesday night, many -- perhaps hundreds -- huddling in condemned homes and ignoring orders to evacuate out of fear looters would take what little Mother Nature has left them.

"FEMA packed up everything yesterday and left the area," said MaryLou Wong, whose home in the Midland Beach neighborhood was destroyed. "They haven't come back."

Punch-drunk residents' ire is also aimed at the city -- which is going door-to-door to order people out of their homes -- at the American Red Cross, which some say has not done enough and at police and firefighters. One group of residents, calling themselves the "Brown Cross," is patrolling the devastated streets, armed with walkie-talkies, and helping residents clear debris and pump water from their flooded homes. The group started with a dozen men, and has swollen to more than 100.

<snipped>

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/08/volunteers-step-in-for-fema-in-storm-ravaged-nyc-borough/

_____

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »

Thank-you, Janet! 

A picture is worth a thousand words Sad My heart hurts for them.

My heart also hurts for the Wounded Warriors, too.  an angelic monkey

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

FEMA to use manufactured housing in Sandy zones
By ALICIA A. CALDWELL | Associated Press – 1 hour 24 minutes

(estimated time) 3:00 P.M. November 08, 2012

WASHINGTON (AP) —

The federal government is moving manufactured housing into areas in New York and New Jersey that were hit hardest by Superstorm Sandy, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Thursday

::snipping2::

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fema-manufactured-housing-sandy-zones-184302507.html

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »

Janet - when you know, could you post what online publication or at least the location the photos were taken at (like Staten Island or New Jersey) etc.   Or a link back to where you got them? 

Thanks!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »

Janet - when you know, could you post what online publication or at least the location the photos were taken at (like Staten Island or New Jersey) etc.   Or a link back to where you got them? 

Thanks!

13 Incredible Pictures From the East Coast’s Second Storm in 10 Days
Posted on November 8, 2012 at 8:37am

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/13-incredible-pictures-from-the-east-coasts-second-storm-in-10-days/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

Forgotten by FEMA: Staten Island's Sandy victims vent over lack of aid
Published November 08, 2012

<snipped>

One group of residents, calling themselves the "Brown Cross," is patrolling the devastated streets, armed with walkie-talkies, and helping residents clear debris and pump water from their flooded homes.

“We’ve done more for our community than FEMA, the Red Cross and the National Guard combined, directly hitting houses and people in need,” Frank Recce, the 24-year-old longshoreman and Iraq Army veteran who organized the group, told FoxNews.com

<snipped>

FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said the agency is helping, and urged people to go to  www.disasterassistance.gov or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). He also said temporary, manufactured housing is on the way. Officials described the homes are trailers, but are different from those used to house victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans seven years ago.

<snipped>

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/08/volunteers-step-in-for-fema-in-storm-ravaged-nyc-borough/

_____

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.