April 27, 2024, 02:15:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 46002 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 12:31:32 AM »

Just heard from Blink - they are without power but they are all OK.  Everything outside is a mess of course.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »

I was at dinner but just see I got a message from San from about 2 hours ago.  She said it was BAD, they were flooded but they were still going to stay put.  Pretty sure her power is out.

She just texted me.  The house is a mess, power is still out, water starting to subside some.  Geez what a mess.

I'm so glad you heard from her and that she's coping OK! I just heard a little while ago about a woman all by herself that wouldn't leave but had a cell phone. The water was up to her waist and she was in a ranch style house in her attic. No way anyone can get to her now, but her family had begged her to leave. Also, they said that in the long island area, the water was not to be consumed, even if it was boiled.

The picture of the moon is absolutely breathtaking, Klaas! What a gorgeous view you have! I'd look at the moon if I could, Cookie! Way too much cloud cover here to see it!

Still nothing from Nut? I wish she would check in!
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:36 AM »

I haven't heard from daughter, but I know they have no power, so waiting anxciously.

Who would have thought I would have woke up to snow this morning, in Ohio.  It's freeeezzzzinggg.

Praying for all East Coast Monkeys who haven't checked in. Sure it's the power outages.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 08:45:56 AM »

Thinking of all our monkeys and hoping for the best. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 09:14:16 AM »

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/A-state-by-state-look-at-the-East-Coast-superstorm-3989826.php
A state-by-state look at the East Coast superstorm
October 30, 2012

The massive storm that started out as Hurricane Sandy slammed into the East Coast and morphed into a huge and problematic system, putting more than 7.5 million homes and businesses in the dark and causing at least 18 deaths. Here's a snapshot of what is happening, state by state.

CAROLINAS

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue expanded a state of emergency to western North Carolina, which could see a foot of snow. A woman who was pulled from the Atlantic after abandoning a tall ship died. Power outages: 6,600.

CONNECTICUT

The Long Island Sound flooded roads as the storm toppled trees and power lines Two people died, including an Easton firefighter who was killed when a tree fell on his truck. Power outages: More than 615,000.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Breezy-Point-Rockaway-Beach-Fire-Hurricane-Sandy-176370491.html
Firefighters Battle 6-Alarm Blaze in Breezy Point, 50 Homes Destroyed
Fire officials say the fire was reported at about 11 p.m. Monday

October 30, 2012

At least 50 homes have been destroyed in the Breezy Point section of the Rockaway peninsula in Queens, where firefighters battled a six-alarm fire early Tuesday.

Fire officials say the fire was reported at about 11 p.m. Monday and is located in a flooded Zone A area. City officials say it appears most of the area was evacuated prior to the fire and no serious injuries have been reported.

A fire department spokesman says nearly 200 firefighters were at the scene before 5 a.m. Tuesday.
 ::snipping2::

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »

http://lightbox.time.com/2012/10/30/in-the-eye-of-the-storm-capturing-sandys-wrath/?google_editors_picks=true
In the Eye of the Storm: Capturing Sandy’s Wrath
October 30, 2012

(Slide show with 26 images - one example below)

Benjamin Lowy—Reportage by Getty for TIME
The area under the Brooklyn Bridge during high tide

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/30/us-storm-sandy-canada-idUSBRE89S12Y20121030?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=71&google_editors_picks=true
Sandy leaves 145,000 Canadians without power, one dead
October 30, 2012

(Reuters) - Sandy toppled trees and power lines in the Canadian province of Ontario, leaving at least 145,000 people without power on Tuesday, including 55,000 in Toronto, the country's financial center.

Strong winds whipped up debris, killing a Toronto woman on Monday.

The Toronto Stock Exchange was set to remain open, making it a North American island of equity trading for the second successive day, with U.S. stock markets closed.

Numerous flights on Air Canada, WestJet Airlines, Porter Airlines and other carriers between the U.S. Northeast and Toronto's Pearson International Airport and Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport were canceled.
More...

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »

I was at dinner but just see I got a message from San from about 2 hours ago.  She said it was BAD, they were flooded but they were still going to stay put.  Pretty sure her power is out.

She just texted me.  The house is a mess, power is still out, water starting to subside some.  Geez what a mess.

I'll say. I am glad to here she is safe.

I cannot even imagine the extent of the clean up from this storm.

Make sure all of you Carolina. Ohio Valley, NY-NJ and New England Monkeys check in. We are all concerned about you and our prayer go out to you.

Stay safe. I hear that the tides will be high again today so please, please be careful.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »

I've been watching the devastation when I can, this morning. What a tragic mess! 7 million people are without power and many will remain without power for days. I haven't heard a recent total on fatalities but my heart goes out to the families who have lost a loved one. Prayers to all who are still in the aftermath. I echo Red.... please check in when you can!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »

Just saw Nut on the forum!!   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »

Just saw Nut on the forum!!   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »

Is it still snowing in your neck of the woods CBB? 

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »

hey NE ohio,was with out power for a time,a lot of trees down,some roads blocked
2tree in my yard down crushed my shed,i have people in WVA,VA,NC, i cant reach
hoping all is well,hoping all monkeys are well

live
http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream1
http://www.youtube.com/embed/yXMU2qwCVag

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

I'm at work but got an update from San.  She says in all her life she never saw things so bad.  About 3 feet of flooding in the downstairs of the house.  If they hadn't had a pump and a generator it would have been much worse.  They are still without power.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »

I'm at work but got an update from San.  She says in all her life she never saw things so bad.  About 3 feet of flooding in the downstairs of the house.  If they hadn't had a pump and a generator it would have been much worse.  They are still without power.

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »

I'm at work but got an update from San.  She says in all her life she never saw things so bad.  About 3 feet of flooding in the downstairs of the house.  If they hadn't had a pump and a generator it would have been much worse.  They are still without power.

Thank you for the update Klaas.  I've been thinking of San and hoping she and her family are doing alright.  Besides the day to day living, my concern would be for the molds and bacteria and etc. some  may have to deal with that can result from the flooding.    Having no power would be depressing and difficult.  

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/30/at-least-17-dead-millions-without-power-in-sandy-aftermath/
At least 39 dead, millions without power in Sandy's aftermath
October 30, 2012

NEW YORK –  Millions of people from Maine to the Carolinas awoke Tuesday without electricity, and an eerily quiet New York City was all but closed off by car, train and air as superstorm Sandy steamed inland, still delivering punishing wind and rain. The U.S. death toll climbed to 39, many of the victims killed by falling trees.

The full extent of the damage in New Jersey, where the storm roared ashore Monday night with hurricane-force winds of 80 mph, was unclear. Police and fire officials, some with their own departments flooded, fanned out to rescue hundreds.

"We are in the midst of urban search and rescue. Our teams are moving as fast as they can," Gov. Chris Christie said. "The devastation on the Jersey Shore is some of the worst we've ever seen. The cost of the storm is incalculable at this point."

More than 8.2 million people across the East were without power. Airlines canceled more than 15,000 flights around the world, and it could be days before the mess is untangled and passengers can get where they're going.
More...

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »

Superstorm Sandy's toll: Mounting deaths, historic destruction, stranded residents

Editor's Note: Superstorm Sandy smashed ashore last night, triggering floods, fires and devastation. Twenty-nine people are known to have died in the U.S. and one in Canada, adding to the storm’s earlier toll of 67. Millions are without power. Floods have hit homes and the New York subway system. Here is the full story and below is the latest news as we learn it.

October 30th, 2012 02:43 PM ET

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/30/superstorm-sandys-wrath/?hpt=hp_t1

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »

At least 39 dead, millions without power in Sandy's aftermath
Published October 30, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/30/at-least-17-dead-millions-without-power-in-sandy-aftermath/

_____

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.