April 27, 2024, 01:18:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 46000 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »

At least 39 dead, millions without power in Sandy's aftermath
Published October 30, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/30/at-least-17-dead-millions-without-power-in-sandy-aftermath/

This photo certainly shows the power of the storm.  No words necessary.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/30/at-least-17-dead-millions-without-power-in-sandy-aftermath/
At least 48 dead, millions without power in Sandy's aftermath
October 30, 2012

NEW YORK –  The misery of superstorm Sandy's devastation grew Tuesday as millions along the U.S. East Coast faced life without power or mass transit for days, and huge swaths of New York City remained eerily quiet. The U.S. death toll climbed to at least 48, many of the victims killed by falling trees, and rescue work continued.

The storm that made landfall in New Jersey on Monday evening with hurricane force cut power to more than 8.2 million across the East and put the presidential campaign on hold just one week before Election Day.

New York was among the hardest hit, with its financial heart closed for a second day. The storm caused the worst damage in the 108-year history of the city's subway system, and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said it could be four or five days before the biggest U.S. transit system was running again.

"This was a devastating storm, maybe the worst that we have ever experienced," Bloomberg said.

But the full extent of the damage in New Jersey was being revealed as morning arrived. Emergency crews fanned out to rescue hundreds.

A hoarse-voiced New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie gave bleak news at a morning news conference: Seaside rail lines washed away. No safe place on the state's barrier islands for him to land. Parts of the coast still under water.

"It is beyond anything I thought I'd ever see," he said. "It is a devastating sight right now."
 ::snipping2::

Slide Show with 77 Images & Related Videos

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/crippled-crane-dangling-york-street-worries-company-expert/story?id=17598692
Crippled Crane Dangling Over New York Worries Company and Expert
October 30, 2012

A partially collapsed construction crane dangling ominously from the top of a unfinished New York City skyscraper is "stable," but the site's construction company and a crane expert worry that its heavy boom could smash to the street below.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said today that "the Department of Buildings has determined that the crane is currently stable," but winds remaining from superstorm Sandy remained too high at the top of the 90-story luxury high rise building for crews to work on it.

"The procedure there when the winds die down will be to get the boom and strap it to the building," he said, adding that "the contracting company will have to figure out ways to build a new crane on top and take that one down."
More...
(2 pgs)
Video

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »

Prayers CAN for your loved one in NY too!

Thank you Dihannah1 -  an angelic monkey

Heard from him today.  He tells me he is fine. 
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »

I haven't heard from daughter, but I know they have no power, so waiting anxciously.

Who would have thought I would have woke up to snow this morning, in Ohio.  It's freeeezzzzinggg.

Praying for all East Coast Monkeys who haven't checked in. Sure it's the power outages.

Have you been able to make contact with your daughter today?
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »

Just saw Nut on the forum!!   

an angelic monkey
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »

hey NE ohio,was with out power for a time,a lot of trees down,some roads blocked
2tree in my yard down crushed my shed,i have people in WVA,VA,NC, i cant reach
hoping all is well,hoping all monkeys are well

live
http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream1
http://www.youtube.com/embed/yXMU2qwCVag

Prayers for your famiy.  Hope you reach them soon.
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »

I'm at work but got an update from San.  She says in all her life she never saw things so bad.  About 3 feet of flooding in the downstairs of the house.  If they hadn't had a pump and a generator it would have been much worse.  They are still without power.

Thoughts going out for San and family.   an angelic monkey
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-30/evacuated-hospital-patients-find-beds-throughout-city
Evacuated Hospital Patients Find Beds Throughout City
October 30, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203880704578088391780439144.html#project%3DSLIDESHOW08%26s%3DSB10001424052970204840504578084550304936518%26articleTabs%3Dslideshow
Sandy Cuts Wide Swath of Damage
October 30, 2012

Slide show with 58 images.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2012, 09:02:31 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/30/health/sandy-hospital/index.html
N.Y. hospital staff carry sick babies down 9 flights of stairs during evacuation
October 30, 2012

At times with only flashlights to illuminate the way, NYU Langone Medical Center began evacuating about 260 patients, carrying some of them down 15 flights of stairs to ambulances ready to take them to the safety of other hospitals.
The hospital didn't anticipate such heavy flooding from Sandy, the superstorm that hit Monday, and chose not to evacuate all its patients before the storm, as it did with Hurricane Irene a year ago.
But between 7 and 7:45 p.m. Monday, the hospital's basement, lower floors and elevator shafts filled with 10 to 12 feet of water, and the hospital lost its power, according to Dr. Andrew Brotman, senior vice president and vice dean for clinical affairs and strategy.
Roof-mounted emergency generators did kick in, but two hours later, about 90% of that power went out, and the hospital decided to evacuate patients.
Four newborns were on respirators that were breathing for them, and when the power went out, each baby was carried down nine flights of stairs while a nurse manually squeezed a bag to deliver air to the baby's lungs.
The adult respirators had batteries, so those patients did not need manual respiration, he added.
Some 1,000 staff members -- doctors, nurses, residents and medical students -- along with firefighters and police officers evacuated the patients. Since about 10% of the backup power was working, there were a few lights on in the hallways. But still much of the work was done by flashlight.
he hospital usually has about 800 patients, but it discharged hundreds over the weekend in anticipation of the storm, he said.
But no one anticipated the high flood levels, or that the generators would get waterlogged.
Kenneth Langone, chairman of the hospital's board of trustees, said that regulations require the generators to be tested regularly and that they've worked every time.
Langone said the hospital is in the midst of an "enormous" building campaign. The generators are going to be replaced in a renovation, he said.
During Irene, only one building was flooded, and with just 2 to 3 feet of water. On Monday night, seven hospital buildings were flooded with 10 to 12 feet of water each, including the medical school and the Smilow Research Center, which was built about three years ago.
"It had a very sophisticated foundation that was built specifically to withstand a flood, but it flooded anyway," Brotman said. "That's just an example of how stunning and rapid this flooding situation was."
Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/10/30/among-the-patients-at-evacuated-hospital-a-benefactor/
Among the Patients at Evacuated Hospital: A Benefactor
October 30, 2012

Among the 300 patients receiving care at NYU Langone Medical Center when its power went out Monday night and then back-up generators failed: its board chairman and benefactor Kenneth Langone.

He had been at the hospital since Sunday, receiving treatment for pneumonia. From his 11th floor room early Tuesday, he said, he watched waves from the East River surge over the FDR Drive and into the medical center. Langone, an investment banker and venture capitalist who backed Home Depot HD -0.73%, said senior hospital officials, including the hospital’s chief and the head of nursing, plotted which hospitals would get which patients from an impromptu command center set up at a table in the main lobby. Meantime, nurses helped patients get down from high floors by using bobsled-like sleds that wound down stairways.
Langone said the center evacuated about 350 patients on Sunday, in anticipation of the storm. The power went out on Monday night, and generators supplied electricity until they went out sometime later, he recalled. About 4:30 a.m., a doctor told him that the hospital was evacuating its patients.

By 11 a.m. Tuesday, all 315 remaining patients had been taken to other area hospitals, NYU Langone said.

Langone said the hospital “frequently” tested its generators and they had passed the tests, and the hospital was prepared for a 12-foot storm surge. “We anticipated 12-foot surges, which we knew we could handle. We got 14-foot surges,” he said.

Some of the hospital generators were in the basement, which flooded.  Langone acknowledged that the generators were “not in the right location,” but that was  an artifact of aging facilities undergoing an extensive upgrade.
He said the flooding of the basements of the buildings composing the medical center remains an issue because the water can’t just be pumped out due to possible contamination from medical waste.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »

Is it still snowing in your neck of the woods CBB? 

Occasionally, but not bad here. It's COLD, really cold! A little distance makes a huge difference. 2 people couldn't get to work today in Duffield, Va. but they drive from a little Northeast of the clinic. Last week, we were in the mid seventies, and I was sitting in the sun. This is like whiplash! The mountains (part of the Appalachians) are all white and I live at the base of them. I love looking at them and the changes each season brings, but this is just way too abrupt! Trick or Treating is going to be bone chilling. I bought stuff to make hot apple cider and stuff to decorate cupcakes. I'm hoping Waylon will be satisfied with just going to a FEW houses and then back home to have some "witches brew" and cupcakes!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2012, 03:02:20 AM »

I know that's a relief for you, Can! I'm so glad you got word and it was good!

I'm keeping San in my prayers and hope this ordeal will soon get better for her!
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »

Is it still snowing in your neck of the woods CBB? 

Occasionally, but not bad here. It's COLD, really cold! A little distance makes a huge difference. 2 people couldn't get to work today in Duffield, Va. but they drive from a little Northeast of the clinic. Last week, we were in the mid seventies, and I was sitting in the sun. This is like whiplash! The mountains (part of the Appalachians) are all white and I live at the base of them. I love looking at them and the changes each season brings, but this is just way too abrupt! Trick or Treating is going to be bone chilling. I bought stuff to make hot apple cider and stuff to decorate cupcakes. I'm hoping Waylon will be satisfied with just going to a FEW houses and then back home to have some "witches brew" and cupcakes!
Sounds great!
Happy Halloween Waylon!
May I suggest you treat yourself to a SPIKED witches brew, once Waylon is tucked in bed for the night.      
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »

I know that's a relief for you, Can! I'm so glad you got word and it was good!

I'm keeping San in my prayers and hope this ordeal will soon get better for her!

A great relief CBB.  Thank you. 
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »

I was at dinner but just see I got a message from San from about 2 hours ago.  She said it was BAD, they were flooded but they were still going to stay put.  Pretty sure her power is out.

She just texted me.  The house is a mess, power is still out, water starting to subside some.  Geez what a mess.

I'll say. I am glad to here she is safe.

I cannot even imagine the extent of the clean up from this storm.

Make sure all of you Carolina. Ohio Valley, NY-NJ and New England Monkeys check in. We are all concerned about you and our prayer go out to you.

Stay safe. I hear that the tides will be high again today so please, please be careful.

My daughter finally found cell coverage and pulled over to call me.  She's fine, but where she lives is alot of downed trees, damaged homes, no power, of course. But all are safe.  I'm in Ohio and woke up to snow yesterday!  It was unbelievable and freezing.   Tonight is Trick or Treat and I'm curious how many kids come out.  I woke up with really bad cold this morning, but if that's the worst of my experience in all this, I can live with it.

Glad to hear other Monkeys are ok.  Praying SAN gets her house back in order soon.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »

What a relief your daughter was able to contact you to let you know she's okay Dihannah.  I've read about snow falling in places early due to the storms.  Brrrr!  I hope you're able to stay inside and keep warm!

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »

I'm shocked we never lost power no trees down in my  house at all ..
My Daughter lives 20 minutes away and lost her power at 11:00 am Sunday and lost a lot of large trees.
They told her no power for two more days.

20 minutes from my house to the shore line is devastating  most of the places we go to eat  are gone friends home are gone  too ,how sad

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »

I'm shocked we never lost power no trees down in my  house at all ..
My Daughter lives 20 minutes away and lost her power at 11:00 am Sunday and lost a lot of large trees.
They told her no power for two more days.

20 minutes from my house to the shore line is devastating  most of the places we go to eat  are gone friends home are gone  too ,how sad

I'm glad you checked in Blonde and have power and no trees down.  I remember before when you weren't so lucky and ended up staying in your recreational vehicle, which was a nice one, but not the same as being home in your own bed.  The weather can be so strange.  I guess it took a zig and and a zag and missed you but caught your daughter.  It's sad about her trees.   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.