March 28, 2024, 02:15:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 45783 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 28, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57541779/sandy-could-wreak-havoc-across-800-miles-of-u.s/
Sandy could wreak havoc across 800 miles of U.S.
October 28, 2012

Hurricane Sandy, the mammoth storm that has already claimed nearly five dozen lives in the Caribbean, could potentially affect some 60 million people in the Eastern United States, where it will meet with two other powerful winter storm systems, to create an even more threatening hybrid.

Sandy is expected to afflict a third of the country with sheets of rain, high winds and heavy snow, say officials who warned millions in coastal areas to get out of the way.

"We're looking at impact of greater than 50 to 60 million people," said Louis Uccellini, head of environmental prediction for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
 ::snipping2::
It's expected to make landfall early Tuesday morning around the coast of Delaware, with storm surges from 4 to 8 feet in some areas, meaning evacuations are likely.

Sandy is currently a Category 1 hurricane. At 8:00 a.m. Sunday morning Sandy was centered about about 260 southeast of Cape Hatteras, N.C., moving northeast at 10 mph. Maximum sustained winds were 75 mph.

Tropical storm warnings remains in effect in North Carolina from Cape Fear to Duck North, Palmlico and Albermarle Sounds, and in Bermuda.

Governors from North Carolina, where steady rains were whipped by gusting winds Saturday night, to Connecticut declared states of emergency. Delaware ordered mandatory evacuations for coastal communities by 8 p.m. Sunday.
Officials are particularly worried about the possibility of subway flooding in New York City, said Uccellini, of NOAA.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to prepare to shut the city's subways, buses and suburban trains. The city closed the subways before Hurricane Irene last year, and a Columbia University study predicted that an Irene surge just 1 foot higher would have paralyzed lower Manhattan.

Up and down the Eastern Seaboard and far inland, officials urged residents and businesses to prepare in ways big and small.
More...

2pgs

Video and maps at link.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nyc-subways-shutting-sunday-night-ahead-storm-17582561
NYC Subways Shutting Sunday Night Ahead of Storm
October 28, 2012

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered New York City's transit service to suspend bus, subway, and commuter rail service in advance of the massive storm expected to hit the eastern third of the United States.

Cuomo says the system will be suspended starting at 7 p.m. Sunday.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »

Thankgoodness Mayor Bloomberg finally GOT it!

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered the immediate, mandatory evacuation for low-lying coastal areas, including Coney Island, the Rockaways, Brighton Beach, Red Hook and some parts of lower Manhattan.

"If you don't evacuate, you're not just putting your own life at risk," Mayor Bloomberg said at a news conference Sunday. "You're endangering first responders who may have to rescue you."

Earlier, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the suspension of all MTA service--including subways, buses, Long Island Railroad and Metro North--beginning at 7 p.m. Sunday. New York City Public Schools will be closed on Monday, the mayor said.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/sandy-hurricane-east-coast-nyc-forecast-142549538.html
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20121028_As_millions_brace_for_worst__Hurricane_Sandy_takes_dead_aim_at_Jersey_Shore.html
As millions brace for worst, Hurricane Sandy takes dead aim at Jersey Shore
Posted: Sun, Oct. 28, 2012, 9:31 PM

Hurricane Sandy threatened to make a direct hit on the Jersey Shore near Atlantic City late Monday in what a meteorologist called a "once-in-50-years" storm that would disrupt the lives of millions of East Coast residents between Delaware and Long Island.

Already Sunday, the advancing storm had forced the evacuation of Shore towns, grounded hundreds of flights at Philadelphia International Airport, promoted SEPTA to suspend mass transit, and led school officials across the region to cancel classes. Governors in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware all declared states of emergency.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57541844/the-time-to-prepare-for-hurricane-sandy-is-about-over-fema-warns/
The time to prepare for Hurricane Sandy is "about over," FEMA warns
October 28, 2012  6:22 p.m.

Updated 10:15 p.m. ET

NEW YORK From Washington to Boston, big cities and small towns Sunday buttoned up against the onslaught of a superstorm that could endanger 50 million people in the most heavily populated corridor in the nation, with forecasters warning that the New York area could get the worst of it -- an 11-foot wall of water.

"The time for preparing and talking is about over," Federal Emergency Management Administrator Craig Fugate said as Hurricane Sandy made its way up the Atlantic on a collision course with two other weather systems that could turn it into one of the most fearsome storms on record in the U.S. "People need to be acting now."Airlines canceled more than 5,000 flights and Amtrak began suspending train service across the Northeast. New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. began to shut down their subways, buses and trains Sunday night and announced that schools would be closed on Monday. Boston, Washington and Baltimore also called off school. And non-essential government employees in the nation's capital were told not to report for work in the morning.

Sandy, a Category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph as of Sunday evening, was blamed for 65 deaths in the Caribbean before it began churning up the Eastern Seaboard. As of 8 p.m., it was centered about 485 miles southeast of New York City, moving at 15 mph, with hurricane-force winds extending an incredible 175 miles from its center.

It was expected to hook left toward the mid-Atlantic coast and come ashore late Monday or early Tuesday, most likely in New Jersey, colliding with a wintry storm moving in from the west and cold air streaming down from the Arctic.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57541786/hurricane-sandy-storm-tracker-and-forecast-maps/
Hurricane Sandy storm tracker and forecast maps
October 28, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:14:03 AM »

I got up this morning to check on the storm's movements.  I hope any monkeys (and everyone else too!) will be safe as Sandy blows through. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-hurricane-sandy-20121028,0,4640311.story
Sandy strengthens as nears coast; Wall Street shut
October 29, 2012
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hurricane Sandy, the monster storm bearing down on the East Coast, strengthened on Monday after hundreds of thousands moved to higher ground, public transport shut down and the stock market suffered its first weather-related closure in 27 years.

About 50 million people from the Mid-Atlantic to Canada were in the path of the nearly 1,000-mile-wide (1,600-km-wide) storm, which forecasters said could be the largest to hit the mainland in U.S. history. It was expected to topple trees, damage buildings, cause power outages and trigger heavy flooding.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) said on Monday the Category 1 storm had strengthened as it turned toward the coast and was moving at 15 mph. It was expected to bring a "life-threatening storm surge", coastal hurricane winds and heavy snow in the Appalachian Mountains, the NHC said.

Nine U.S. states have declared states of emergency and President Barack Obama has warned the nation to brace itself.
 ::snipping2::Sandy killed 66 people in the Caribbean before pounding U.S. coastal areas with rain and triggering snow falls at higher elevations.

Forecasting services indicated early Monday the storm would strike the New Jersey shore near Atlantic City on Monday night. While Sandy does not yet pack the punch of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated New Orleans in 2005, it could become more potent as it approaches the U.S. coast.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/29/storm-sandy-bounty-idUSL1E8LT1Q320121029
UPDATE 1-Seventeen people abandon ship in path of Hurricane Sandy
October 29, 2012

Oct 29 (Reuters) - Seventeen people from the replica HMS Bounty abandoned ship while stranded at sea off North Carolina in the path of Hurricane Sandy, the U.S. Coast Guard said on Monday.

"The 17-person crew donned cold water survival suits and lifejackets before launching in two 25-man lifeboats with canopies," the Coast Guard said in a statement.

The tall ship was built for the 1962 movie "Mutiny on the Bounty" and lost power while at sea on Sunday night.

The Bounty was about 90 miles (145 km) southeast of Hatteras, North Carolina, or roughly 160 miles (260 km) from the center of Sandy, a Category 1 hurricane bearing down on the U.S. East Coast, the Coast Guard said.

The three-masted, 180-foot (55-metre) vessel was believed to be taking on water and was without propulsion, stuck in 40 mile-per-hour (65 kph) winds and 18-foot (5.5-metre) seas, the Coast Guard said.

An HC-130 Hercules aircraft had been in contact with the crew while flying overhead, and the Coast Guard was determining which rescue vessel or aircraft was best placed to respond, Petty Officer David Weydert said.

"The crew is safe and accounted for. They have abandoned ship," said a posting on the ship's Facebook page. "They are in their sea survival suits and in a life boat."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/weather_wisdom/2012/10/major_storm_shutting_down_much.html
Sandy moves closer, weather deteriorates all day
October 29, 2012 7:50 a.m.

Sandy got a bit stronger overnight and winds are now over 85 miles per hour. The storm looks to have just made the turn towards the west and should hit the coast early Tuesday.
The storm continues to be historic and once it makes land fall later today will transition from a pure tropical system to a non-tropical one. That fact is simply semantics and for meteorologists to ponder as the affects will be the same. The big aspect to this storm for most people continues to be the wind. Those people who live and have businesses on or very close to the water will have storm surge as well. Winds will increase into early afternoon with the strongest gusts from about 2pm to 7pm. It will still be very windy thereafter, but ever so slowly becoming less intense. High tide is around noon and midnight and for those of you on the coast, the water may not retreat very much between tides today. I am updating on this storm and of course future ones on Twitter at @growingwisdom please follow me there and ask any questions. This is becoming a nowcasting storm. Nowcasting is really looking at the information hour by hour and then making any changes to the forecast as needed.
Some tips
Keep the fridge and freezer closed as much as possible if the power fails. You can put things in a cooler you might need frequently like milk and juice. They will keep for a while in the cooler. If you have a grill, don't forget that once the winds calm down you can cook that way. If you have power you can make a block of ice putting water in a freezer bag. A solid block of ice keeps things cold for a long time. That is why they use to call them "ice chests" after all. Generators must be vented outside, you can kill you and your family in minutes running them inside. Same tip goes for the car in the garage if you are charging your cell phone leave the door open while the car is running.
After the storm
When this is over there will be those who went to work, who had no damage and who didn't lose power. For them, they might say "that wasn't so bad". Others will have their lives turned upside down and still some may lose their lives. The nature of these storms is that they don't hit all of us the same, but are all going to go through it. I hope the blog has helped you prepare for the storm and will help you during it as well.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »

http://shrewsbury.patch.com/articles/how-long-will-food-last-in-the-fridge-if-you-lose-power
How Long Will Food Last in the Fridge if You Lose Power?
Here are guidelines from the USDA regarding the safety of food in a refrigerator without power.

October 29, 2012

The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service prepared a fact sheet for keeping food safe during an emergency, including losing power.

The USDA says to "keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature."

But, the refrigerator will only keep food safely cold for about four hours if unopened during a power outage, according to the USDA. A full freezer will hold the temperature for about 48 hours if full (24 hours of half full), the USDA says.

The USDA emphasizes "never to taste food to determine its safety" and says that you should "evaluate each item separately."

Generally, if the temperature in the thermometer in the freezer reads 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below, the food is safe and can be refrozen, according to the USDA. The USDA suggests obtaining dry or block ice to help keep refrigerated or frozen food cold if the power will be out for an extended period of time.

More information:  http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/keeping_food_safe_during_an_emergency/index.asp

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/10/28/dr-bessers-3-tips-to-ride-hurricane-sandy-out-safely/
Dr. Besser’s 3 Tips to Ride Hurricane Sandy Out Safely
October 29, 2012

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »

Here is a good storm tracker:

http://tinyurl.com/8lm4vpu

Everyone on the east coast please be careful and evacuate if you are ordered to do so.  This is nothing to mess around with. 
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »

Hurricane Sandy bears down on northeastern U.S., sending residents fleeing
The Associated Press
Published Monday, Oct. 29, 2012 6:31AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, Oct. 29, 2012 10:19AM EDT
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/hurricane-sandy-bears-down-on-northeastern-u-s-sending-residents-fleeing-1.1014597#

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »

Storm Gains Strength as It Churns North
Published: October 29, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/us/hurricane-sandy-churns-up-east-coast.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »

Hurricane Sandy strengthens, remains on course to hit Canada Monday, bringing 7-metre waves to Great Lakes
Oct 29, 2012 9:41 AM ET
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-strengthens-remains-on-course-to-hit-canada-monday-bringing-7-metre-waves-to-great-lakes/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »

A man stands on the beach to watch the storm surf, kicked up ahead of Hurricane Sandy, in Southampton, New York October 29, 2012. Hurricane Sandy, the monster storm bearing down on the East Coast, strengthened on Monday after hundreds of thousands moved to higher ground, public transport shut down and the stock market suffered its first weather-related closure in 27 years.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-strengthens-remains-on-course-to-hit-canada-monday-bringing-7-metre-waves-to-great-lakes/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/29/storm-sandy-bounty-idUSL1E8LT1Q320121029
UPDATE 1-Seventeen people abandon ship in path of Hurricane Sandy
October 29, 2012

Oct 29 (Reuters) - Seventeen people from the replica HMS Bounty abandoned ship while stranded at sea off North Carolina in the path of Hurricane Sandy, the U.S. Coast Guard said on Monday.

"The 17-person crew donned cold water survival suits and lifejackets before launching in two 25-man lifeboats with canopies," the Coast Guard said in a statement.

The tall ship was built for the 1962 movie "Mutiny on the Bounty" and lost power while at sea on Sunday night.

The Bounty was about 90 miles (145 km) southeast of Hatteras, North Carolina, or roughly 160 miles (260 km) from the center of Sandy, a Category 1 hurricane bearing down on the U.S. East Coast, the Coast Guard said.

The three-masted, 180-foot (55-metre) vessel was believed to be taking on water and was without propulsion, stuck in 40 mile-per-hour (65 kph) winds and 18-foot (5.5-metre) seas, the Coast Guard said.

An HC-130 Hercules aircraft had been in contact with the crew while flying overhead, and the Coast Guard was determining which rescue vessel or aircraft was best placed to respond, Petty Officer David Weydert said.

"The crew is safe and accounted for. They have abandoned ship," said a posting on the ship's Facebook page. "They are in their sea survival suits and in a life boat."

UPDATE

Hurricane Sandy sinks Nova Scotia-built tall ship, HMS Bounty, fourteen sailors rescued, two missing
Last Updated: Oct 29, 2012 9:55 AM ET

<snipped>

Two sailors are missing after the crew of the Nova Scotia-built tall ship HMS Bounty was forced to abandon ship off of the North Carolina coast as Hurricane Sandy whipped up dangerously high winds and waves.

<snipped>

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-forces-crew-of-nova-scotia-built-tall-ship-hms-bounty-to-abandon-ship-amid-5-5-metre-waves/

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »

Thank you for the update on the "Bounty" crew, Janet.  I hope the two missing crew members can be found safe and found fast.  This doesn't look good at all.  

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »

Thankgoodness Mayor Bloomberg finally GOT it!

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered the immediate, mandatory evacuation for low-lying coastal areas, including Coney Island, the Rockaways, Brighton Beach, Red Hook and some parts of lower Manhattan.

"If you don't evacuate, you're not just putting your own life at risk," Mayor Bloomberg said at a news conference Sunday. "You're endangering first responders who may have to rescue you."

Earlier, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the suspension of all MTA service--including subways, buses, Long Island Railroad and Metro North--beginning at 7 p.m. Sunday. New York City Public Schools will be closed on Monday, the mayor said.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/sandy-hurricane-east-coast-nyc-forecast-142549538.html

NBC has just reported that this is currently happening.  Many who initially failed to heed the warning have had second thoughts and roads are impasaible.  First responders are doing their best to assist these late evacuees.

Janet

_____

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.