March 29, 2024, 03:43:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 45792 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

impasaible s/b impassable

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »

My daughter and grandson are on Long Island, worried here in Ohio.  Prayers please?   

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »

My daughter and grandson are on Long Island, worried here in Ohio.  Prayers please?   

You got 'em Dihannah1.  Prayers going out for your daughter and grandson. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »

http://t.news.msn.com/us/what-caused-frankenstorm-to-form  1 Day ago

The storm that is threatening the east coast is worse than sum of its nasty parts. A mix of many conditions that are making this a perfect storm.

WASHINGTON — The storm that is threatening 60 million Americans in the eastern third of the nation in just a couple of days with persistent high winds, drenching rains, extreme tides, flooding and probably snow is much more than just an ordinary weather system. It's a freakish and unprecedented monster.

::snipping2::

Start with Sandy, an ordinary late summer hurricane from the tropics, moving north up the East Coast. Bring in a high pressure ridge of air centered around Greenland that blocks the hurricane's normal out-to-sea path and forces it west toward land.

Add a wintry cold front moving in from the west and colliding with that storm. Mix in a blast of Arctic air from the north. Add a full moon and its usual effect, pulling in high tides. Factor in immense waves commonly thrashed up by a huge hurricane plus massive gale-force winds.

Do all that and you get a stitched-together weather monster expected to unleash its power over 800 miles, with predictions in some areas of 12 inches of rain, 2 feet of snow and sustained 40- to 50 mph winds.

"The total is greater than the sum of the individual parts" said Louis Uccellini, the environmental prediction chief of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration meteorologists. "That is exactly what's going on here."

This storm is so dangerous and so unusual because it is coming at the tail end of hurricane season and beginning of winter storm season, "so it's kind of taking something from both — part hurricane, part nor'easter, all trouble," Jeff Masters, director of the private service Weather Underground, said Saturday.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »

Thanks Ms. Bee. I know I can always count on the Monkeys!  an angelic monkey

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 01:35:50 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57541978/how-to-keep-your-food-safe-if-hurricane-sandy-cuts-electricity/
How to keep your food safe if Hurricane Sandy cuts electricity
October 29, 2012

With Hurricane Sandy threatening to cut power, many people are worried how long their food can last in the refrigerator and freezer without electricity. But, there's other food safety issues that people should be concerned about.
The USDA has compiled a list of tips to help you sort through what is safe to eat in order to avoid food poisoning and other foodborne illnesses in the event of a power outage.

The top three things to remember are:

Meat, poultry, fish and eggs should stay at or below 40 degrees F and frozen food should remain below 0 degrees F.

If you keep your refrigerator, you will be able to keep your food cold for up to four hours. A full freezer will keep its temperature for at least 48 hours if full, 24 hours if half full.
Putting food together in your fridge and freezer can help keep it cold, the FDA points out.
The FDA also said coolers can help keep refrigerated food keep cold once the power cuts out.
Make or buy dry or block ice while you can. Fifty pounds of dry ice should keep an 18-cubic foot full freezer for two days.
You'll have to discard most foods in your fridge, but hard cheeses -- including Cheddar, Colby, Swiss, Parmesan, provolone, Romano - butter or margarine; opened fruit juices; opened can fruits; Fresh fruits, coconut, raisins, dried fruits, candied fruits, dates; most spreads that do not include milk products; breads; pies; and raw vegetables may be safe even if not kept cold. For a full list of foods, check out FoodSafety.gov's list.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »

Dihannah ... your daughter and grandson have both been added to our ladies' prayer chain ... a prayer chain that includes 15 churches in western Canada and south to Portland, Oregon.

It is sometimes very difficult to completely "give it over to God" and experience His peace when our immediate loved ones are involved in situations we acknowledge we have no control over.  The upholding of others in prayer on our behalf is where it is at.

With Love

Janet

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »

http://t.news.msn.com/us/what-caused-frankenstorm-to-form  1 Day ago

The storm that is threatening the east coast is worse than sum of its nasty parts. A mix of many conditions that are making this a perfect storm.

WASHINGTON — The storm that is threatening 60 million Americans in the eastern third of the nation in just a couple of days with persistent high winds, drenching rains, extreme tides, flooding and probably snow is much more than just an ordinary weather system. It's a freakish and unprecedented monster.

Start with Sandy, an ordinary late summer hurricane from the tropics, moving north up the East Coast. Bring in a high pressure ridge of air centered around Greenland that blocks the hurricane's normal out-to-sea path and forces it west toward land.

Add a wintry cold front moving in from the west and colliding with that storm. Mix in a blast of Arctic air from the north. Add a full moon and its usual effect, pulling in high tides. Factor in immense waves commonly thrashed up by a huge hurricane plus massive gale-force winds.

Do all that and you get a stitched-together weather monster expected to unleash its power over 800 miles, with predictions in some areas of 12 inches of rain, 2 feet of snow and sustained 40- to 50 mph winds.

"The total is greater than the sum of the individual parts" said Louis Uccellini, the environmental prediction chief of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration meteorologists. "That is exactly what's going on here."

This storm is so dangerous and so unusual because it is coming at the tail end of hurricane season and beginning of winter storm season, "so it's kind of taking something from both — part hurricane, part nor'easter, all trouble," Jeff Masters, director of the private service Weather Underground, said Saturday.

What a nightmare!!!

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/10/hurricane-sandy-in-photos/100395/?google_editors_picks=true
Hurricane Sandy in Photos
October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy, which has already claimed over 50 lives in the Caribbean, has traveled north. It will soon bring heavy winds and floodwaters to the mid-Atlantic region, combining with other weather systems to possibly become what some are calling a historic "superstorm." Gathered here are images from Sandy's story so far, from the Caribbean to preparations along the East Coast of the United States. In the next hours, as Sandy makes landfall, I will continue to update this post with new images from the newswires and elsewhere. [30 photos so far]

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 02:00:35 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/10/hurricane-sandy-in-photos/100395/?google_editors_picks=true
Hurricane Sandy in Photos
October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy, which has already claimed over 50 lives in the Caribbean, has traveled north. It will soon bring heavy winds and floodwaters to the mid-Atlantic region, combining with other weather systems to possibly become what some are calling a historic "superstorm." Gathered here are images from Sandy's story so far, from the Caribbean to preparations along the East Coast of the United States. In the next hours, as Sandy makes landfall, I will continue to update this post with new images from the newswires and elsewhere. [30 photos so far]

Thanks Muffy

I cannot comprehend that the worst is yet to come.

Thanks be to God for the technology that afforded residents of the affected states prior warnings that Hurricane Sandy was on her way.  When all is said and done the devastation takes a back seat to human lives whose value is beyond worth and cannot be replaced.

Janet

_____

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

Dihannah ... your daughter and grandson have both been added to our ladies' prayer chain ... a prayer chain that includes 15 churches in western Canada and south to Portland, Oregon.

It is sometimes very difficult to completely "give it over to God" and experience His peace when our immediate loved ones are involved in situations we acknowledge we have no control over.  The upholding of others in prayer on our behalf is where it is at.

With Love

Janet

God Bless you Janet. Thank you so much!

crazybabyborg
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »

Thanks Ms. Bee. I know I can always count on the Monkeys!  an angelic monkey

Coming your way with prayers, Dihannah! Please stay safe and check in whenever you can! This one really is a monster! As far away as I am, it's snowing because of it!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »

I'm wondering about San and Bearly..... there are many others. Check in when you can, monkeys! Prayers for all who are impacted by Sandy!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57541877/hurricane-sandy-speeds-towards-landfall/
Hurricane Sandy speeds towards landfall
CBS/AP/ October 29, 2012, 2:17 PM

NEW YORK A superstorm threatening 50 million people in the most heavily populated corridor in the nation gained strength Monday, packing winds of 90 mph and picking up considerable speed just hours before it is expected to make landfall, forecasters said.

The National Hurricane Center said Monday morning that the Category 1 hurricane is moving northwest at 28 mph - up from 18 mph a few hours earlier. At 2:00 p.m. ET the storm was centered about 175 miles south-southeast of New York City, or about 110 miles southeast of Atlantic City, N.J. Hurricane-force winds extend up to 175 miles from the storm's center, with tropical storm-force winds extended outward up to 485 miles.

Maximum sustained winds of 90 mph, with higher gusts, were measured.
Gale/tropical storm-force force winds were reported from North Carolina to southern New England.

Hours before the storm made landfall, high winds had already knocked out power to more than 100,000 customers in several states by mid-day Monday.

Sandy is expected to hook inland Monday, colliding with a wintry storm moving in from the west and cold air streaming down from the Arctic. Forecasters say the storm's center will make landfall along or just south of the Southern New Jersey coast Monday evening.
CBS News hurricane consultant David Bernard reports that wind gusts of 38 mph and 41 mph have already been reported in New York City and Boston, respectively.

Sandy is likely going to strengthen even more as it approaches the East Coast, Bernard reports, with hurricane-force winds reaching land by Monday afternoon. The storm's pressure is dropping, which means it's growing in strength.

The full moon will make storm surges worse, as high tides along the Eastern Seaboard will rise about 20 percent higher than normal.

Correspondent Chip Reid reports from Ocean City, Md., that sea levels could rise 8 feet above normal - enough to flood much of the city.

In addition to rains and flooding, about 2 to 3 feet of snow is forecast for mountainous parts of West Virginia.
More...

crazybabyborg
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »

Published: Oct 29, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT

::snipping2:: ::snipping2::

1: Sandy's Life-Threatening Storm Surge

Storm surge flooding is already occurring along a broad swath of the East Coast, from New England to North Carolina.  

The highest storm surge is expected along Long Island Sound and New York Harbor with high tide this evening.  Surge flooding will also reach its peak during high tide tonight along the Jersey Shore and the south coast of southern New England.  

In some of these areas, peak tide levels may top those from both Hurricane Irene by 2 feet!  Tide levels tonight in Sandy Hook, N.J. may top the previous record from the Dec. 1992 Nor'easter and Hurricane Donna in 1960!

Coastal flooding will continue through multiple tide cycles beyond Monday's peak into Tuesday afternoon, in some areas!

Senior Meteorologist Stu Ostro (Twitter | Facebook) said: "History is being written as an extreme weather event continues to unfold, one which will occupy a place in the annals of weather history as one of the most extraordinary to have affected the United States."

"This is an extraordinary situation, and I am not prone to hyperbole."

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/sandy-top-five-20121028
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »

I'm wondering about San and Bearly..... there are many others. Check in when you can, monkeys! Prayers for all who are impacted by Sandy!

CBB

San was on the forum this morning.

Janet

++++++

Name:  San
Position:  Super Moderator
Date Registered:  April 28, 2006, 07:49:37 PM
Last Active:  October 29, 2012, 03:32:39 PM

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

Bearly also logged into the forum this morning.

Janet

+++++

Name:  Bearlyhere
Position:  Global Moderator
Date Registered:  April 30, 2006, 01:36:03 PM
Last Active:  October 29, 2012, 09:45:11 AM

_____

crazybabyborg
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »

Published: Oct 29, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/sandy-top-five-20121028

Thanks, Janet! Good to know they were here! I'm where the little green star is. We'll be fine, but I guess it does sort of explain the snow in October!  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:12:00 PM by CBB » Logged
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »

The following article is a must read in its entirety.  IMO

I felt that the warnings in the past few days regarding the severity on so many levels encompassing this hurricane may have been an over reaction intended to error on the safe side.  I was sooo wrong.

Janet

+++++

Hurricane Sandy barrels toward East Coast, expected to bring 'life-threatening' storm surge
Published October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy picked up steam as it approached the Atlantic Coast, packing winds of 90 mph and pushing an 11-foot high wall of water, but its 6 p.m. landfall in New Jersey could be a break for the region as the monster storm will likely be well inland by the time the next high tide hits around midnight.

The 900-mile wide storm's front edge sent tide-enhanced surges over boardwalks from Delaware to New York a full 12 hours before Sandy's eye was to make landfall. Widespread evacuations along the coast were ordered, mass transit was shut down in major metropolitan areas and some 60 million people live in the path of the mega-storm and many likely face power outages in the coming hours and days.

The National Guard was deployed along the densely-populated Atlantic coast, and airports were expected to shut down by Monday afternoon as the massive system churned in from the sea. The hurricane is on a collision course with a winter storm and a cold front, and high tides from a full moon make it a rare hybrid storm that could be felt all the way to the Great Lakes.

<snipped>

Forecasters warned that the New York City region could face the worst of the hurricane. As of midday Monday, the storm was centered about 110 miles southeast of Atlantic City, N.J., moving northwest at 28 mph with hurricane-force winds extending an incredible 175 miles from its center. The National Hurricane Center said the storm has intensified, with top sustained winds of 90 mph and higher gusts. Sandy has already been blamed for 69 deaths in the Caribbean before it began traveling northward, parallel to the Eastern Seaboard.

<snipped>

Authorities warned that New York City could be hit with an 11-foot wall of water that has the potential to swamp parts of lower Manhattan, flood subway tunnels and cripple the network of electrical and communications lines that are vital to the nation's financial center.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/29/millions-across-east-coast-brace-for-uperstorm-sandy/

_____

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »

Talk about ironic, on Neil Covuto Fox News, he just mentioned today is the anniversery of the stock crash that began our Great Depression.      Stock exchange is closed today, due to Sandy.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.