March 29, 2024, 09:27:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy 2012  (Read 45797 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »

Thanks Janet!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »

Thanks Janet!

YW

I should have known better.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »

Persistent gas shortage after Sandy prompts rationing plan in New York City area
Published November 08, 2012

NEW YORK –  With long gas lines persisting more than a week after Superstorm Sandy, New York imposed a gasoline rationing plan Thursday that lets motorists fill up every other day.

Police will be at gas stations Friday morning to enforce the new system in New York City and on Long Island. Gas will be available to drivers with license-plate numbers ending in an odd number or a letter on Friday. On Saturday, drivers with license plates that end in even numbers of zero can fuel up.

"It'll be bad. How am I going to get my jobs done?" said Parris Hancock, a driver for a Manhattan catering company who makes deliveries from morning to night. "I'll have to get up at 4 a.m. and just keep going back for gas and waiting in long lines."

Officials said something had to be done to ease the long waits for fuel, which they say has caused panic-buying and hoarding.

"This is designed to let everybody have a fair chance, so the lines aren't too oppressive and that we can get through this," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/08/persistent-gas-shortage-after-sandy-prompts-rationing-plan-in-new-york-city/

[imghttp://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/World/660/371/Superstorm%20Sandy_Angu%20(11).jpg[/img]

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »

Persistent gas shortage after Sandy prompts rationing plan in New York City area
Published November 08, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/08/persistent-gas-shortage-after-sandy-prompts-rationing-plan-in-new-york-city/

_____

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2012, 03:26:16 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1211/07/ddhln.01.html

DR. DREW

Sandy Hope & Help

Aired November 7, 2012 - 21:00   ET

PINSKY: Now, the -- we lost my connection with Cade. And before last break, I said he was going to give us the five must haves. I actually have them written down. He says have $100 in small bills available, at least one gallon of water per person per day. You can go three or four days without food but you cannot go a day without water, prescription medications at least two or three days, sealable plastic bag with passport, license, contact numbers, doctor.

And finally, he said flashlights with extra batteries and/or glow sticks to be able to see is a really important thing in the night. And again, in this case, it breaks my heart to think about what needs to happen. It was bad enough just to try to walk around your neighborhoods when it was sunny and cold out

He says have $100 in small bills one gallon of water per person per day. You can go three or four days without food but you cannot go a day without water.

Sealable plastic bag with passport, license, contact numbers, doctor.

And finally, he said flashlights with extra batteries and/or glow sticks to be able to see is a really important thing in the night.

Glow sticks? 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »

seahorse

GLOW STICKS!!  GREAT IDEA!!

A few of the little muchkins eho came to our door on the 31st were holding glow stick to light their way from house to house.

I think I will purchase a supply in preparation of the next power outage.  It beats hubby and I sitting for what seems like forever at the kitchen table in the dark winding our respective rechargable flashlight that Santa put in our stockings a couple of Christmas' ago.

Maybe it wasn't Santa's dpomg.  I think eldest son's wife who is in charge of recycling at our  grandson's school had something to do with the rechargeable flashlights.  She is referred to as the Green Queen in newsletters that are sent home to parents.  This gal is my conscience when I am tempted to sneak a tin can/plastic container into my regular garbage.

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »

Self-Edit

dpomg s/b doing

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »

175 Images

Superstorm Sandy's impact on East Coast

http://www.wptv.com/gallerys/news/news_photo_gallery/photos-east-coast-braces-for-hurricane-sandy_7963136

_____

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »

seahorse

GLOW STICKS!!  GREAT IDEA!!

A few of the little muchkins eho came to our door on the 31st were holding glow stick to light their way from house to house.

I think I will purchase a supply in preparation of the next power outage.  It beats hubby and I sitting for what seems like forever at the kitchen table in the dark winding our respective rechargable flashlight that Santa put in our stockings a couple of Christmas' ago.

Maybe it wasn't Santa's dpomg.  I think eldest son's wife who is in charge of recycling at our  grandson's school had something to do with the rechargeable flashlights.  She is referred to as the Green Queen in newsletters that are sent home to parents.  This gal is my conscience when I am tempted to sneak a tin can/plastic container into my regular garbage.

Janet

Hi Monkey's,

Janet the idea is "Cade Courtley", former Navy SEAL, author of "SEAL Survival Guide"

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1211/07/ddhln.01.html

CADE COURTLEY, FORMER NAVY SEAL: So much. I mean, it`s unfortunate. But, remember that you`ve made it this far. So, everything about survival begins with a mindset.

And, folks, your mindset right now needs to be "I`ve got a little bit further to go". Everything says that Friday the sun comes up and the weather goes away. The only goal right now is to get from now until Friday morning sunrise.

And the way to do that is in little increments, OK? What we call little victories in POW training. That`s OK, I made it to noon. OK? I got a chance to eat something. OK? I made it to sundown.

Little victories like that. Like here`s a worst case scenario for that. The POWs in Vietnam, they said a really good day was when they got a cockroach and they were going to eat that later. That was a little victory for them. Some of them were doing that for seven years.

We may need his book, next, (if this silly weather pattern persists) Smile "SEAL Survival Guide" by Cade Courtley.  His idea is great and are the munhkins who used the glow sticks. 

Janet, thanks for keeping us updated with the recovery efforts and the struggles of the survivors.  The Pictures you post, confirm the print stories, seeing is believing., IMO.

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »

New York officials reportedly consider closed prison for displaced Sandy victims
Published November 09, 2012

Officials in New York are reportedly eyeing a recently-closed prison as temporary housing for people displaced by superstorm Sandy and this week’s nor’easter.

The New York Post reports that state officials are considering the Arthur Kill Correctional Facility on Staten Island to feed and house as many as 900 victims with nowhere else to turn.

“Our facilities staff have to go through it to determine what it would take to get it up and running for such a purpose,” Peter Cutler, a spokesman for the state Department of Corrections, told the newspaper. “Of course, the challenge is the fact that it was closed a year ago and all of the major infrastructure components, such as boilers and wastewater system, were deactivated.”

As many as 40,000 New Yorkers need shelter from extreme weather events, according to city estimates. On Staten Island alone, about 5,200 people applied for temporary FEMA housing, but only about two dozen people have been successfully placed, federal sources told the newspaper.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/09/new-york-officials-reportedly-consider-closed-prison-for-displaced-sandy/?test=latestnews

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2012, 07:50:57 PM »

Frustrations growing as victims of Sandy wait for help
Date Nov 9, 2012

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1959309204001/

_____

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »

Governor Cuomo   ::snipping2::

Colin Campbell 11/08 2:02pm

Snip

They ran of poles, believe it or not. They ran out of poles. Poles are something that a utility company would want to have, you would think, right? You look at what a utility does, it basically comes down to wires and poles and crews and trucks, these are things you would want to have? How can you run out of poles?”

http://politicker.com/2012/11/governor-cuomo-cursed-out-the-utility-companies/

I believe the poles need to be ordered. IMO

The Utility Pole Fan Page

Questions

The following are questions that I have about utility poles. Some questions here are more burning than others. There are some questions which may have obvious answers that I just thought were more necessary to bring up. Some of the questions are also based on search queries that people did at search engines, such as Google and Yahoo. There are also answers included that I have received from a few people regarding some of the questions.

http://oldgreypole.com/questions.html

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »

Lost and stray animals in wake of Hurricane Sandy need New Yorkers’ help
Friday, November 9, 2012, 7:10 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/sandy-displaced-animals-article-1.1199764

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2012, 11:46:08 PM »

Tonight I am thankful but I also feel guilty.  With temperatures dropping below freezing in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia ... two will be sleeping in a warm home with power ... running water ... three empty bedrooms and ... lots of food in the fridge and cupboards.

Janet

Tensions rise in cold, powerless communities two weeks after Superstorm Sandy
November 9th, 2012  07:45 PM ET

Nearly two weeks after Superstorm Sandy, frustrations are rising as temperatures drop across the northeast.

More than half a million households are still without power across New Jersey and New York, including 40,000 homes on the hard-hit Rockaway peninsula in Queens, as residents continue to clean up after the massive hurricane and this week's nor'easter.

<snipped>

http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/09/tensions-rise-in-cold-powerless-communities-two-weeks-after-superstorm-sandy/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2012, 12:45:33 AM »

A Storm-Ravaged New York Neighborhood Struggles to Survive
By Perry Chiaramonte
Published November 09, 2012

After traveling six miles by foot and by bus to bring food home to her five children in Brooklyn’s Coney Island neighborhood, Cherry Barnett broke down in tears.

"I've had it,” she said. “I don't want to live here anymore. We can't live like this."

Barnett’s apartment building, called Ocean Towers, was one of thousands in the path of superstorm Sandy, which tore up the Atlantic Coast, devastating homes, flooding basements, wiping out businesses and leaving millions without light or heat. While utility companies, aided by crews from out of state, have slowly gotten power back to much of the region, Barnett and her children endured 10 days in the dark.

The juice finally came back on three days ago, but only one elevator in the three-building complex works. Barnett can get up to her third-floor apartment, but her seven-year-old daughter, confined to a wheelchair, hasn’t been outdoors since the Oct. 29 storm. And there are countless older folks in the building who remain stuck in their apartments, dependent on neighbors and strangers to bring them food.

Down on Surf Avenue, businesses are shuttered, leaving local residents unable to get basic necessities like food, medicine, or even do laundry. Once the sun goes down, residents say it’s too dangerous to venture out anyway.

"It's very hard,” said Mary Edwards, 69, who lives in the complex. “There are no stores here anymore. There's nothing. We can even come out of our apartments at night. We need a curfew on Coney Island."

Next door to Ocean Towers, in the city’s Carey Gardens public housing project, Wanda Feliciano set up a relief center to help neighbors.

"A lot of us out here are fighting for our lives,” said Feliciano, 51. “A lot of people are desperate. They don't know where they are getting their next meal.

"We are fighting amongst ourselves here because we are tired. And we are frustrated."

About 479,400 New York and New Jersey utility customers were still without electricity Friday, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. Some 167,000 of those customers are on New York’s hard-hit Long Island, according to the Long Island Power. About 35,000 customers in New York City's boroughs of Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens were still without power, and ConEd said it was working with the New York City Buildings Department to speed up repairs at those properties.

Bonnie Kirshtein, 66, who lives in Ocean Towers, is handicapped and has been trapped in her home since the storm struck. Not only are the elevators not running, the stairs are strewn with garbage and human waste. She has been unable to go to her job at a court reporting agency in Downtown Brooklyn since the storm and has relied on neighbors and co-workers to deliver food and other items to her.

"I've never lived like this," Kirshtein said. "It's like Coney Island was forgotten about. We are desperate here.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/09/storm-ravaged-new-york-neighborhood-struggles-to-survive/

_____

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »

Post-Sandy relief for New York City as new supplies arrive, gas-rationing enforced
By JOE TACOPINO, FRANK ROSARIO and DAN MacLEOD
Last Updated: 6:28 AM, November 10, 2012
Posted: 1:04 AM, November 10, 2012

::snipping2::

And in another sign of hope, the Statue of Liberty last night was lit for the first time since the storm struck on Oct. 29. 

About 40 NYPD volunteers unloaded about 25,000 pounds of donated necessities from seven choppers that touched down at Staten Island University Hospital in the morning.

The items included diapers, juice, water, work gloves, pet food, first-aid kits, bleach, hand sanitizer, baby formula and paper towels.

Soon after, four truckloads of underwear donated by Fruit of the Loom were unloaded at the New York Container Terminal in Port Ivory.

The borough also received trailers of goods trucked in from upstate by the Punishers Law Enforcement motorcycle club.

“It’s finally getting better,” said Michael Lilov, 44, as he picked up toys, blankets and coats from a FEMA station on Father Capodanno Boulevard.

“They gave us new jackets and clothes to wear, and we have food to eat tonight. Now we’re just waiting for the power to come back. If we only had that, the future would look even better.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/silver_lining_at_ast_for_city_IipPr5mCaxQg28z4L5wVfJ

www.nypost.com/

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »

Not so bad her today it's been warm snow has already melted to about 4''
Its going to be in the upper 50's tomorrow 

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »

Staten Island picks up the pieces after Hurricane Sandy
Anna Kooiman reports from Staten Island, New York
Date Nov 10, 2012
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1960817441001/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »

Frustrated Long Island residents enter day 12 of no power
Published November 10, 2012

Hundreds of Long Island residents in the town of Oceanside turned out to express their frustrations at what they say is a lack of communication and action by the Long Island Power Authority.

"Enough is enough," Oceanside residents chanted during the protest Friday.

Oceanside is on the south shore of New York's Long Island, where more than 160,000 residents are preparing to enter a second week without power following superstorm Sandy.

Among frustrated residents were Long Island officials who also expressed anger.

Kate Murray, Town of Hempstead Supervisor told the crowds that it was "unacceptable," that the head of LIPA was unsure of the policy regarding electrical inspections for residents. LIPA did not attend the meeting.

LIPA is in the process of sending teams of inspectors to homes and businesses within flooded areas along the south shore to determine whether it is safe to turn power back on to the area.

Unfortunately, residents have had to rely on word of mouth from neighbors as to when the inspections are taking place in their area, because a resident must be home. The inspection cannot take place unless a homeowner is present, and residents are instructed to reschedule their appointment if they are not home. 

Residents displaced by Sandy or returning to work are frustrated with the process because it's not clear when inspectors will be in their area.

<snipped>

Video:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/10/frustrated-long-island-residents-enter-day-12-no-power/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »

'Convoy of Hope' helps victims of Hurricane Sandy rebuild
Nonprofit organization springs into action following super storm
Date Nov 10, 2012

Video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1960813149001/

_____

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.