March 28, 2024, 05:33:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to upgrade to Windows 8  (Read 20765 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 28, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57541490-285/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-8/
How to upgrade to Windows 8
Microsoft's biggest desire is to get you using Windows 8, and fast. Here's how to use that $40 upgrade to flip older versions of Windows to Windows 8.

October 26, 2912

The Windows 8 eagle has landed, which means that Microsoft's $39.99 in-place upgrade is now available. They've made it extremely easy to upgrade your computer from a Windows 7, Vista, or XP computer to Windows 8. Here's how it's done.
First, check out our CNET guide on how to prepare your computer for Windows 8. There's also instructions on how to restore your old system, which is important in case something unexpectedly goes awry, or you decide you don't like Windows 8, you can restore what you had before.
More...

Photos

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »

I'm tempted.  Have you done it yet Muffy?
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »

I haven't done it yet Klaas.  I'm running Windows 7 right now, and am mulling over changing.  I wonder if we should wait until others play the guinea pig?   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »

I haven't done it yet Klaas.  I'm running Windows 7 right now, and am mulling over changing.  I wonder if we should wait until others play the guinea pig?   

I have to look into it further.   
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »

Looking for reviews:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121028/MONEY/710289939/1697

Windows 8 review: Good for tablets, not for PCs

By Troy Wolverton
THE SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS
Published Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 1:00 am / Updated at 8:07 am
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012830/windows-8-the-official-review.html

Windows 8: The official review
Loyd Case @loydcase

Oct 25, 2012 3:00 AM

::snipping2::

Love it or hate it, Windows 8 is ushering in a new era of cloud-connected Microsoft services, a unified user interface, and more-robust social media interaction. Younger users may find Windows 8 more attractive than some old-school computer users will. It’s a risk that Microsoft needed to take to try to remain relevant in today’s connected, mobile world. Only time will tell whether it’s the right risk at the right time.

Windows 8 isn’t for everyone. If you’re mostly a desktop PC user comfortable with Windows 7, upgrading to Windows 8 is probably not worthwhile. If you’re a mobile user who needs easy access to the complete Microsoft ecosystem, including SkyDrive, Windows 8 is definitely a good fit. If your needs lie somewhere between those two extremes, give Windows 8 a close look; the cost is low, but you’ll need to learn your way around the new Start screen and make sure that your existing software runs well in the new OS.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »

http://gizmodo.com/5934932/windows-8-review-incredibly-innovative-incredibly-important-not-quite-incredible

Windows 8 Review: Incredibly Innovative, Incredibly Important, Not Quite Incredible
 Oct 25, 2012 10:37 AM
 Kyle Wagner   

Will Windows 8's New Look Actually Affect You?

No, not yet, not if you don't want it to. If you want, you'll be able to operate more or less as you have in Windows 7, with some minor changes, mostly for the better. That's what desktop mode is for. But the writing is on the wall. Nearly all of the features in need of upgrades that have been left largely untouched are associated with the non-Metro desktop and its structure.

Pros:

Metro redesign actually makes Desktop way more pleasant
    Two-display support is pretty solid, and useful for mixing Metro with desktop
    Real gestures on Windows. That work!
    The Metro Start screen is an awesome dashboard/app drawer
    Free streamed music through Xbox Music by default

Cons:

Limited selection of Metro apps in the Windows Store
    Simple actions in Metro apps, like searching, can be deceptively hard to complete
    Metro apps can be visually confusing when multitasking
    Laptop touchpads don't make the most sense
    Some apps, like Mail, feel unfinished
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/25/tech/innovation/review-windows-8/index.html

Windows 8 review: A big, beautiful, slightly shaky step forward

By Alexandra Chang
updated 11:58 AM EDT, Thu October 25, 2012

(Wired) -- The new version of Windows, which is available Friday, sees Microsoft tucking the old, desktop-focused Windows skin into its back pocket, and instead donning a colorful, touch-friendly suit of tiles. It's such a grand departure from Redmond's legacy Windows software that most users won't recognize it as Windows at all. And that's a beautiful thing.

I've been testing Windows 8 over the last few months, and I've come to really enjoy using it. Yes, it took a lot of re-learning and adjustment. Yes, I felt lost and baffled at first. And sure, I was a bit sad to see the Start Menu vanish. (There are others who feel the same way and have solutions.) Several small annoyances remain for Microsoft to work out. But if you're willing to put in a little bit of initial effort to learn the ropes, Windows 8 is definitely worth the upgrade.

The bottom line

Pros: Touch and trackpad gestures are intuitive and make navigating the Windows 8 environment a breeze. Snapping apps is useful for multitasking. Desktop gets its own improved tools like Task Manager and File History. Windows 8 is pushing touch and all sorts of new hardware experiences, which is good for consumers. Good price for online upgrades.

Cons: Windows Store is still relatively low on apps. Ambiguity between x86 and Windows Store apps in Microsoft messaging and when pinned on Start Screen. Windows 8 will take effort to get used to, and not all users want to learn a new operating system and interface. Microsoft risks alienating legacy users. Several feature details still need polish.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/science_tech/windows-8-review-my-thoughts-as-i-install-windows-8-on-my-pc-for-the-first-time

Windows 8 review: My thoughts as I install Windows 8 on my PC for the first time

Posted: 10/27/2012
Last Updated: 23 hours and 2 minutes ago

By: Kirk Yuhnke, ABC15 Mornings By: Kirk Yuhnke, ABC15 Mornings

Conclusion

Microsoft blew up the ship and started from scratch. It was needed,  necessary and a big bold move by a company that makes billions (with a b) on Windows every year. It’s smooth, innovative and perfect for touch screen devices of the future.

Problem is, you might hate it! A lot of people might hate it. It’s so different that you feel like you are converting to an entirely different operating system. I would say going from Windows XP/Vista/7 to Windows 8 is more drastic than going from Windows to Mac. It’s THAT different. Be prepared and be ready to spend a few hours understanding how the new version of Windows works.

If you hate change and are perfectly happy with your computer the way it is right now, sit tight. After all, change is easier on all of us if it comes at a slow pace.

If you’re ready for something fresh, clean and new and are willing to accept that you’re basically re-learning an entirely new operating system, join the Windows 8 club! It marks the beginning of a world where desktop operating systems and tablet operating systems are one in the same. I do believe this is the future of computering. Nobody ever said the future was going to be easy.

P.S. I still haven’t figured out how to get my built-in microphone working. If you have any ideas, hit me up on Facebook .

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411468,00.asp
Get Organized: Windows 8 Tiles
The visual centerpiece of Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system, Start screen tiles, puts a new burden on users: How should you organize them?

October 29, 2012

Microsoft last week officially released its newest operating system, Windows 8, which is a radical departure from previous versions of Windows. My colleagues have been writing about many of its unique features in-depth, such as How to Refresh or Reset Your PC and How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and 8, but here, I am concerned with only one aspect: the organization of tiles.
Even though I am not new to Windows by any stretch—it's an operating systems with which I've developed a deep and complicated love-hate relationship since the mid 1990s—I have been struggling with not only how to arrange the tiles on Windows 8 thematically, but also physically how to do it.
That's all to say that this article takes a pretty elementary approach. If you consider yourself a Windows power user, stop reading here and instead check out Michael Muchmore's Super Guide to Windows 8.
Windows 8 Tile Organization
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:58:10 AM »

I'm still reading and gathering information about Windows 8, so I haven't made the jump over.     O

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57541454-85/meet-the-real-windows-phone-8-join-us-monday-live-blog/?google_editors_picks=true
Meet the real Windows Phone 8: Join us Monday (live blog)
On Monday, Microsoft makes Windows Phone 8 OS official, and pulls back the curtain on even more features. We'll bring you live updates from the event.

October 29, 2012

With Windows 8 launched and the holiday shopping season upon us, the time has come for Microsoft to show the world all that Windows Phone 8 can do.
Back in June, Microsoft previewed a handful of Windows Phone 8 capabilities. Some were hardware-related, like NFC, multicore processing support, and the addition of HD screen resolutions.
Others were software-based: a new home-screen look with resizable widgets and much more space for all those live tiles, plus PC-level device encryption.

CNET will be on the ground on Monday, reporting and explaining every new twist and turn. Join us live! You can also follow us on Twitter:

Josh Lowensohn
 Jessica Dolcourt
 Lynn La

Videos at link.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57541918-75/poll-shows-tepid-interest-in-windows-8/
Poll shows tepid interest in Windows 8
A survey finds half of consumers haven't even heard of Windows 8. Microsoft will spend over $1 billion in advertising to alter that condition.

October 29, 2012

A new poll suggests that Windows 8 may be hampered by scant consumer interest.
Microsoft bills Windows 8 -- a world away from the familiar surroundings of Windows 7 -- as a "reimagining" of the PC operating system. It may indeed be that, considering Windows 8's touch capabilities and app ecosphere. But whether consumers will take to the new OS remains to be seen.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

I still haven't decided if I want to upgrade to Windows 8, but here's some tips and tricks for those that have, and just in case I decide to make the leap, it will be here.   

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012885/20-must-know-windows-8-tips-and-tricks.html
WINDOWS 8
20 must-know Windows 8 tips and tricks

November 2, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/windows-8-basics-tips-tricks-and-cures/
Windows 8 basics: Tips, tricks, and cures
How to abolish what you don't like and customize the rest.

November 3, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57544323-285/five-least-intuitive-things-about-windows-8/
Five least intuitive things about Windows 8
Especially if you don't have a touch screen, these Windows 8 quirks will drive you crazy.

November 2, 2012

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »

I'm likely going to upgrade to Windows 8 in the near future.  I'll wait until a good time as it will likely take a couple hours at least with all the programs I have.  Then, I'll probably ask Santa for a new Windows 8 keyboard and mouse. 

I do believe the touch screen and the look of the Windows 8 desktop is the technology of the near future and I certainly don't want to get left befind 

I don't necessarily want or need touch screen for my PC but I may prefer using the new mouse and keyboard designed for them 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »

I'm likely going to upgrade to Windows 8 in the near future.  I'll wait until a good time as it will likely take a couple hours at least with all the programs I have.  Then, I'll probably ask Santa for a new Windows 8 keyboard and mouse.  

I do believe the touch screen and the look of the Windows 8 desktop is the technology of the near future and I certainly don't want to get left befind  

I don't necessarily want or need touch screen for my PC but I may prefer using the new mouse and keyboard designed for them  

I would probably get the new mouse and keyboard designed for Windows 8 too.     The touch screen?  Maybe not. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57546387-292/windows-8-users-now-getting-how-to-e-mails-from-microsoft/
Windows 8 users now getting 'how-to' e-mails from Microsoft
People who set up a Windows 8 PC or tablet using a Microsoft account will now receive two e-mails with tips and tricks on using the new OS.

November 7, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »

http://www.zdnet.com/what-do-normal-people-think-of-new-windows-8-pcs-7000006863/
What do normal people think of new Windows 8 PCs?
Summary: Real people, the kind who don't read tech blogs and who buy PCs from shopping channels on basic cable, have finally got their hands on Windows 8. The early reviews will almost certainly surprise you.

November 5, 2012

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.