March 28, 2024, 06:20:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to upgrade to Windows 8  (Read 20768 times)
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »

I'm going to wait until one of my 4 computers die

I have the Samsung Galaxy tab and I love it when we travel and now my new phone in the Samsung Galaxy S 111 Love it
 I can't justify buying anymore unless my laptop dies then I will go get something but it won't be a Dell their tech support is in India I just don't understand them .

Dell Recalls Tech Support from India After Complaints (they didn't )

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »

Just finished downloading Windows 8

I don't have a touch screen or special mouse or anything.  So far so good.  Not hard to figure out and the desktop is really pretty, LOL.  You can switch to the old desktop any time you want.

Most of my programs and apps transferred over just fine.  I had it save all my settings.  As I play around I'll post updates! 
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 07:19:33 AM »

I don't have a touch screen or special mouse or anything.  So far so good.  Not hard to figure out and the desktop is really pretty, LOL.  You can switch to the old desktop any time you want.

Most of my programs and apps transferred over just fine.  I had it save all my settings.  As I play around I'll post updates! 

Klaas you are such a brave soul. I like my old dinosaur. Not one to get all the latest updates. Just thinking about having to get a new computer gives me hives. My cell phone is still a flip phone.   

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 07:36:24 AM »

Alrighty then!!  You've taken the plunge!     I'm looking forward to your updates.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »

Observations

1.  The Windows 8 desktop is really pretty 

2.  When you first start the download it first assesses your system and checks current programs and apps to see if they are compatible.  It also asks you what type of install you want, do you want to keep all your programs (I did)?  It then gives you a list you can print out that tells you what works and what doesn't.  Out of about 48 programs on my PC, 40 were fine and 8 weren't.  Of the 8 only 3 were ones I used and it told me I could update drivers and software from their sites.  I did that before finishing the install.  This all took a good hour.

3.  Then you do the actual install of the program which took for me another hour or so.  If you don't have a ton of programs and files that need to be saved it would take much less time.

4.  Finally, done!  Windows 8 desktop very pretty and you can "pin" different apps as you like.  Even without a Windows 8 Mouse, it's easy to navigate between the Windows 8 desktop and the old desktop.  I do not have a touch screen so much of the abilities of Windows 8 are not usable for me at this time.   

Computer runs faster.  I didn't lose any emails or settings that I can see, even my current pinned tabs in Firefox remained.  For $40 it's worth it even if I don't have a touchscreen or special mouse, just by how much faster my computer runs. 

NOTE:  I did unplug my external hard drive prior to installing just in case.  I didn't want to lose years of files.  I haven't tried plugging my external drive in to check for compatibility yet but I'm sure it will be ok.

DID I MENTION I LOVE THE WAY THE WINDOWS 8 DESKTOP LOOKS?   
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »

Green Eyes - I'm not brave, I just hate for technology of any kind to pass me by.  It's the "geek" in me! 
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »

If that's the case I don't have an ounce of "geek" in me. Because most of the time I want it to pass me by.     Sounds like you think windows 8 is REAL PRETTY.....

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »

Wow what did you have before the upgrade Vista or windows 7?

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »

Wow what did you have before the upgrade Vista or windows 7?

Windows 7

Not sure what it would be like upgrading from Vista or XP
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »

Even though Windows 8 is built to work best with Touch Screen technology, I have no problem without touch screen.  The biggest thing I notice is that everything is running better and faster (besides the really pretty Windows 8 desktop  )

I'm using an old "corded" optical mouse and it works just as it did before.   
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »

Just wondering what kind of a PC do you have
 My daughter bought a new Dell with windows 7  last year  cost $1000.and it got a virus in one hour of being on line  with the virus protection that it came with  Dell.
 Dell gave her so much shit cost her $300 to get  the virus out because it kept  coming back.. now it fried so she bought a HP its doing good so far cost her $500.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »

Just wondering what kind of a PC do you have
 My daughter bought a new Dell with windows 7  last year  cost $1000.and it got a virus in one hour of being on line  with the virus protection that it came with  Dell.
 Dell gave her so much shit cost her $300 to get  the virus out because it kept  coming back.. now it fried so she bought a HP its doing good so far cost her $500.

I have an HP all in one (there is no tower) and I got it about two years ago.   It was a super cheap deal online for less than $320.  I use AVG Free for my virus protection and never have problems with that.  My AVG software and almost all of my software converted seamlessly to Windows 8 retaining all of my old settings.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »

http://www.informationweek.com/security/vulnerabilities/windows-8-rt-get-first-security-fixes/240077527
Windows 8, RT Get First Security Fixes
Microsoft's first set of Windows 8 and Windows RT patches for critical vulnerabilities hits next week.

November 10, 2012

Windows 8 and Windows RT, released just two weeks ago, are about to receive their first security makeover.
Microsoft on Thursday said that it plans to release its first security patches for Windows 8 and Windows RT as part of its monthly patch cycle next week.
Six security bulletins are scheduled for release, addressing a total of 19 vulnerabilities. Three of the bulletins apply to Windows 8, each of which has been designated critical. Two of the bulletins apply to Windows RT, one of which is critical.
Microsoft won't disclose specifics about the flaws until the patch is released to the public, but the Windows 8 vulnerabilities all allow remote code execution. One of them also affects Microsoft .NET Framework.
More...

http://www.informationweek.com/software/windows8/windows-8-super-guide/232700509?itc=edit_in_body_cross
Windows 8 Super Guide
Windows 8, Microsoft's boldest operating system bet in years, poses crucial questions for enterprises. InformationWeek's super guide rounds up the news, expert analysis, and reviews that you need.

November 10, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »

Ok, being the "geek" I am, as Klaas, you have me convinced.  Windows 7 recently crashed and I had to reload it, so I haven't installed anything yet, so the install should go pretty smoothly for me. Better now than after reloading everything.  I love new technology! 

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »

My Vista crashes about 5 times a day now ..I'm just going to go to walmart and get a HP windows 8 for about $600. This Vista cost me over $1000. grrrrr

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »

Well, I made the jump.  I have mixed feelings.  It's not bad, but now have to take the time to figure out how to use it it.  I definitely miss the StartUp button.  I feel lost.  But sure I'll figure it out, when I have the patience.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »

No start up button how do you find your programs 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »

No start up button how do you find your programs 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/11/17/start-menu-windows-8/1708953/
How to add a Start menu to Windows 8
November 17, 2012
12:46PM EST November 17. 2012 -

Question: How can I add a Start menu, or something like it, back to Windows 8?

Answer: Much of Microsoft's new operating system will surprise or confuse users when they first boot into it, but its desktop's absence of a Start menu looks to be its biggest long-term annoyance.

Without that and its list of all of your installed programs, you have to go subject yourself to a form of computing whiplash to run an application that doesn't already have a shortcut on the desktop or the taskbar.

First you flip over to Windows 8's new-look Start screen (by clicking in the bottom-left corner of the screen or with a tap of the keyboard's Windows-logo key), then you can either start typing a program's name to launch a search for it or right-click on a blank area and select an "All apps" icon to see a screen listing all of your choices. To me, and most other Windows 8 users I've heard from, that's too much of a detour.

The simplest way to avoid that is to fill up the taskbar with shortcuts for all of the apps you run regularly. To do that, launch an app, right-click on its taskbar button and select "Pin this program to taskbar." (Don't forget to add one for the Control Panel too.)

Otherwise, you may want to install third-party software to recreate the Start menu in some form. I tried out four apps I saw recommended at the tech-help sites Lifehacker and the How-To Geek: Classic Shell, ViStart, Start8, Start Menu 8.
More...

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »

Well, I made the jump.  I have mixed feelings.  It's not bad, but now have to take the time to figure out how to use it it.  I definitely miss the StartUp button.  I feel lost.  But sure I'll figure it out, when I have the patience.

All of your programs can be found on the Windows 8 main desktop start page.  They will be on the right hand side of your screen.  You can also see ALL of them by right  mouse clicking on that same Windows 8 start page then you can "pin" any of them you want to your start page. 

It takes a little getting used to but they are all there, just looks different to find them. 
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »

Ok, I'm not sure I'm ready, nor have the patience right now to figure it out.  I can't even find MS Office.  I want to go back to 7 by using my HP recovery and can't even figure that out.  So much for being a geek, I think I'm getting too old and no patience left.  Aaarrgghhh!

Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.