March 28, 2024, 06:48:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THYROID SURGERY  (Read 9674 times)
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: November 28, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »

I have had 2 biopsies done this summer on my thyroid with the fine needle.
The radiologist at Case Western in Clev. is recommending a complete thyroidectomy.
YUCK !!!! Anyone have this done & what was it like ? I am scared to death !

Yup.....I been a lurker for many weeks here !

Why do people kill people,who kill people, to show people that to kill people is bad ?
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »

LEP  I am sure you are worried about the surgery. One of our Monkeys husband had his nuked many years ago. He is doing fine. I know he has to take meds. but not sure right now what they are.

I will talk with the monkey and have her come here and share with you what she knows.

Please let us know how you are doing.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:11:06 AM »

LEP  I am sure you are worried about the surgery. One of our Monkeys husband had his nuked many years ago. He is doing fine. I know he has to take meds. but not sure right now what they are.

I will talk with the monkey and have her come here and share with you what she knows.

Thank u for your respone ! I do appreciate it !
I must have a complete thyroidectomey 1st to remove ALL active nodules cells on the left,
afterwards he said they could remove any remaining live malignant cells there. My prognosis is great, but it is
Christmastime & he said I must have this done pronto, & I am scared to death to have a major surgery.

TURNING 60 I FOUND OUT IS NOT 4 WIMPS !

Why do people kill people,who kill people, to show people that to kill people is bad ?
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:28:39 AM »

Lake Erie Princess

I'm sure that you are worried, but you will be all right.  My neighbor had the surgery.  She goes for regular checkups and takes meds--Synthroid.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!  an angelic monkey

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

Thank u for your respone ! I do appreciate it !
I must have a complete thyroidectomey 1st to remove ALL active nodules cells on the left,
afterwards he said they could remove any remaining live malignant cells there. My prognosis is great, but it is
Christmastime & he said I must have this done pronto, & I am scared to death to have a major surgery.

TURNING 60 I FOUND OUT IS NOT 4 WIMPS !

LEP  Any one of us that has had or going to have surgery has been scared or will be scared. Any surgery small or big is scary. And it's normal to be scared. Your doctor sounds like he/she knows what they are doing. Yes it's Christmas time and a busy time of year. But look at like this having a quiet low key Christmas this year to enjoy many future Christmas's with you family. Prayers and hugs headed your way.

Yep you are right turning 60 is definitely not for wimps. I have found getting older is a real challenge. Please let us know how things go. God Bless

GOD BLESS AMERICA
ospainter
Monkey Junky

Grandson in Ireland

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:32 PM »

Hi Lake

I had my left side removed in the early 90's. For me the biopsy was worse than the surgery except for the fear of having it done. I put it off for months due to fear and that was not wise.

I had it done at Univ. of MD hospital, was in the hospital for 2 days, don't remember much of hospital stay, came home without any pain meds (my choice due to allergies) no sutures, just tape. I did have to sit with my head still for a few days. Other than that nothing remarkable.

My sister had both sides removed and said she felt much like I did. The fear is the worse part imo.

I found out last month I have multiple nodules on the right side, had biopsy, One is 1/2" Dr said he is 95% sure it's not malignant, will watch for 6 mths for growth, have ultrasound, if growth will remove if not will redo ultrasound 6 mths later, then 1 once yr after. I am not looking forward to having this done again but at least I know what to expect this time around. Dr (ENT) did tell me, thyroid cancer spreads faster than any other cancer, I had never heard that before.

I know and appreciate your fear, wish there was something I could compare it with but just can't think offhand.

I will be thinking and praying for you. Try to be calm but I know it's tough.
Also I got a blessing from my church and feel that helped me so much.

Also agree about the 60's, boy it sure piles on when you hit em..

Take care, hope I have helped in some way. (((Hugs)))

Os

It's their lie they can tell it anyway they want.
Who, What, Where, When, How and Why
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »

Hi Lake

I had my left side removed in the early 90's. For me the biopsy was worse than the surgery except for the fear of having it done. I put it off for months due to fear and that was not wise.

I had it done at Univ. of MD hospital, was in the hospital for 2 days, don't remember much of hospital stay, came home without any pain meds (my choice due to allergies) no sutures, just tape. I did have to sit with my head still for a few days. Other than that nothing remarkable.

My sister had both sides removed and said she felt much like I did. The fear is the worse part imo.

I found out last month I have multiple nodules on the right side, had biopsy, One is 1/2" Dr said he is 95% sure it's not malignant, will watch for 6 mths for growth, have ultrasound, if growth will remove if not will redo ultrasound 6 mths later, then 1 once yr after. I am not looking forward to having this done again but at least I know what to expect this time around. Dr (ENT) did tell me, thyroid cancer spreads faster than any other cancer, I had never heard that before.

I know and appreciate your fear, wish there was something I could compare it with but just can't think offhand.

I will be thinking and praying for you. Try to be calm but I know it's tough.
Also I got a blessing from my church and feel that helped me so much.

Also agree about the 60's, boy it sure piles on when you hit em..

Take care, hope I have helped in some way. (((Hugs)))

Os

Thanks for taking out time in a busy season to contribute. I do appreciate it !

My thyroid showed severe hyperactivity in 2/2012
4/2012 much worse, so I was advised to have a biopsy by an endro.
He then sent me for a 2nd biospy in 9/2012. Between 4/2012 and 10/2012 the cells went from suspicious to malignant. WOW.
The surgeon has offered a good prognosis

to remove all cancer by removing all of the thyroid, completely & then
radiating any left, live cells.

So, here I go..........scared to death.
I am a smoker & have been for many years, so the anesthetic frightens me.
This is a 3.5 hour surgery ! Geeez !

Will I wake up ? Will I get pneumonia ? U know how the mind wanders.

Turning 60 this year has been shattering to me ! I was hospitalized in 2/12 and in 4/12 for a week each.
Just before going on a camping trip in early July, I wake up & cannot move my neck. It eased but returned & I
had it checked out. It turned out to be acute cervical osteoarthritis, with 3 herniated discs. I just had a nerve block done
last Fri., & I believe for now it is good. I do not think that surgery and the meds to put u under r good for anyone.
NO WAY I will do 2 surgeries in 1 year.

I am a practicing Catholic & made an appt. to see my parish Priest on Thurs.
I need a blessing, or dunked up & down in holy water  or something ! LOL My nerves are shot !

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »

I don't have any experience with thyroid problems and don't have much to contribute, but I wanted to give you a shout out, LEP.  I've been reading and will continue to read here as you navigate your way back to health.   We've both been posting on this forum  a long time now, and when one of our monkey family is ill, it affects us all.    Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and praying for you.  Muffy

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »

I don't have any experience with thyroid problems and don't have much to contribute, but I wanted to give you a shout out, LEP.  I've been reading and will continue to read here as you navigate your way back to health.   We've both been posting on this forum  a long time now, and when one of our monkey family is ill, it affects us all.    Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and praying for you.  Muffy
Muffy~ xoxo

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 10:10:44 AM »

I hope you are doing well.  For some interesting information and real life experiences on many subjects I find forums at yahoogroups.com to be helpful.

Just type something like ' thyroid ' into the " Find a Yahoo! Group" search box (middle left of page) and it will bring back many groups you can join. 

You many need an id and some of the groups require membership.  Lots of good reading and resources.  Lot of competing ideas.

Good luck.  I hope your holidays are excellent and that your recovery is speedy and complete.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

A big hello to everyone, here ! Christmas is a memory to us all now, & so is my life changing dilemma.
On 12/21/12 I had surgery. It was a complete thyroidectomy. Horizontally on my neck, I have a
scar which is about 7" long.

A nerve concerning my vocal cords is temporarily paraylyzed from the surgery, so I have a low pitched,
horsey voice, which will diminish they say by 8/13.

I got a lung infection from the tube & anesthetic, and had to take 2 courses of antibiotics and 1 of prednasone.

I rec. 2 rounds of chemo to attack any left living cells after the surgery.

I am still very tired. Major surgery is no picnic, especially when you reach 60 'ish !

The cancer was confined to my thyroid gland in the left lobes, thank God ! The lymph nodes were clear as was the parathyroid gland.
Soon the thyroid med. will decide to regulate in my body ! At night I wake up soaked with sweat, & during the day I freeze, & wear several
layers to cope. I have never had to change my bed linens daily !  Living in 8 degree temps currently, certainly is of no value to me ! LOL

I am so thankful that this was diagnosed & treated early. I am thankful to have such a wonderful outcome.

I was pleased to be discharged on Christmas Eve afternoon. I jumped in the wheel chair & smiled all the way to the car
in my flannel, Superman, PJ pants !That night was very special to me with my family.My 32 yr. old son saw that dinner was made & we celebrated together as a family, just like the past 30+ years, but it meant a lot more THIS year !

I wanted to share this update with all of you. I'd love to advise if anyone EVER has to face this issue.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »

It's  so good to hear from you LEP!  I can't imagine what you've been through but I'm glad to know you're on the mend and it was so wonderful you were home for Christmas eve with your family.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »

Welcome back, LEP!   

Thank you for sharing the update with us.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery!  an angelic monkey
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »

Hi LEP Thank you for giving us an update. So glad you were able to be home Christmas Eve. Continued prayers for full and speedy recovery. an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »

Thank you all for your prayers and positive thoughts. It is so appreciated !

I arrived at the hospital at 6 am for my 7 am surgery. My 17 mo. old Granddaughter greeted
with a sock monkey for a gift. I have always been primate crazy ! After my surgery 1 of my sons
brought me a hand carved in Africa orangatan. He is a massive 18" at least !
Having surgery can have "some" benefits. LOL

I AM so blessed that the cancer was confined and had not moved into the lymph nodes, &
I will always rem. that !

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »

Thank you all for your prayers and positive thoughts. It is so appreciated !

I arrived at the hospital at 6 am for my 7 am surgery. My 17 mo. old Granddaughter greeted
with a sock monkey for a gift. I have always been primate crazy ! After my surgery 1 of my sons
brought me a hand carved in Africa orangatan. He is a massive 18" at least !
Having surgery can have "some" benefits. LOL

I AM so blessed that the cancer was confined and had not moved into the lymph nodes, &
I will always rem. that !

LEP, how are you doing now?  How is the voice coming along?

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 01:08:43 AM »

Thank you for asking ! I have been lurking here, but that is it !
I did regain my voice FINALLY in March. It took a long time.
The cancer did not make it to my lymph nodes, and my radiation treatments are completed, so
I AM CANCER FREE ! God is good and prayers were heard ! I am very grateful !

I read here, but have little time to do more. 2/17/13 my husband got seriously ill. Unknown
to us, why, he had to have emergency surgery on a Sunday pm to have part of his colon removed.
He suddenly got very ill, and had enormous pain. I thought !!! it was his appendix, but it was not.
When the surgeon opened his stomach, he had the nurse call me and tell me that a large area
HAD GANGRENE ! Can u even believe that !!!! He has had a long road to recover, and still
is not there. Poor guy ! He and I are here alone on Lake Erie, pretending that he is retired. LOL
He NEEDS to get more weight on, as he lost 40# since Feb.

I am thankful that he is getting stronger by the day, but I was very afraid that I would become a widow at age 60.
We are blessed to have raised 4 wonderful sons, who chose good wives. They told me that they would
take care of me, so I felt a lot of stress lifted. I am doing well now, and plan to stay in this house at least 30
years more......

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »

Thank you for asking ! I have been lurking here, but that is it !
I did regain my voice FINALLY in March. It took a long time.
The cancer did not make it to my lymph nodes, and my radiation treatments are completed, so
I AM CANCER FREE ! God is good and prayers were heard ! I am very grateful !

I read here, but have little time to do more. 2/17/13 my husband got seriously ill. Unknown
to us, why, he had to have emergency surgery on a Sunday pm to have part of his colon removed.
He suddenly got very ill, and had enormous pain. I thought !!! it was his appendix, but it was not.
When the surgeon opened his stomach, he had the nurse call me and tell me that a large area
HAD GANGRENE ! Can u even believe that !!!! He has had a long road to recover, and still
is not there. Poor guy ! He and I are here alone on Lake Erie, pretending that he is retired. LOL
He NEEDS to get more weight on, as he lost 40# since Feb.

I am thankful that he is getting stronger by the day, but I was very afraid that I would become a widow at age 60.
We are blessed to have raised 4 wonderful sons, who chose good wives. They told me that they would
take care of me, so I felt a lot of stress lifted. I am doing well now, and plan to stay in this house at least 30
years more......

That is great news LEP. So happy you have your voice back. So sorry to hear your husband got so ill. But thankfully he is on the mend. Prayers for you both. May he have a speedy recovery. an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »

LEP - glad you are back and doing well after surgery!  Sorry to hear about your husband, how scary that must have been!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.