March 28, 2024, 05:07:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jovan Belcher (25) Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker Dead in Murder-Suicide  (Read 12452 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« on: December 01, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8697360/kansas-city-chiefs-jovan-belcher-kills-girlfriend-commits-suicide-police-say

Jovan Belcher kills girlfriend, himself
Updated: December 1, 2012, 3:17 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Ed Zurga/Getty Images
Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend early Saturday, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager, according to police.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend Saturday, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager.

Authorities did not release a possible motive for the murder-suicide, though police said that Belcher and his girlfriend, 22-year-old Kasandra M. Perkins, had been arguing recently. The two of them have an infant child.

Belcher thanked general manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel before shooting himself in the parking lot of the team's practice facility, police spokesman Darin Snapp said. Police had locked it down by midmorning and reporters were confined to the street just outside the gates.

The Chiefs were scheduled to play the Carolina Panthers on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. The Panthers were advised by the league to travel to Kansas City as planned, though no official announcement on the game itself had been made.

Belcher was a 25-year-old native of West Babylon, N.Y., on Long Island, who played college ball at Maine. He signed with the Chiefs an undrafted free agent, made the team and stayed with it for four years, moving into the starting lineup. He'd played in all 11 games this season.

"The entire Chiefs family is deeply saddened by today's events, and our collective hearts are heavy with sympathy, thoughts and prayers for the families and friends affected by this unthinkable tragedy," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement.

"We sincerely appreciate the expressions of sympathy and support we have received from so many in the Kansas City and NFL communities, and ask for continued prayers for the loved ones of those impacted," Hunt said. "We will continue to fully cooperate with the authorities and work to ensure that the appropriate counseling resources are available to all members of the organization."

Authorities reported receiving a call Saturday morning from a woman who said her daughter had been shot multiple times at a residence about five miles away from the Arrowhead complex. The call actually came from Belcher's mother, who referred to the victim as her daughter, leading to some initial confusion, police said.

Police then received a phone call from the Chiefs' training facility.

"The description matched the suspect description from that other address. We kind of knew what we were dealing with," Snapp said. The player was "holding a gun to his head" as he stood in front of the front doors of the practice facility.

"And there were Pioli and Crennel and another coach or employee was standing outside and appeared to be talking to him. It appeared they were talking to the suspect," Snapp said. "The suspect began to walk in the opposite direction of the coaches and the officers and that's when they heard the gunshot. It appears he took his own life."

The coaches told police they never felt in any danger, Snapp said.

"They said the player was actually thanking them for everything they'd done for him," he said. "They were just talking to him and he was thanking them and everything. That's when he walked away and shot himself."

Snapp said Belcher's mother told police the couple had recently been arguing.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Chiefs and the families and friends of those who lost their lives in this terrible tragedy," the NFL said in a news release. "We have connected the Chiefs with our national team of professional counselors to support both the team and the families of those affected. We will continue to provide assistance in any way that we can."

Belcher is the latest among several players and NFL retirees to die from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in the past couple of years. The death of the beloved star Junior Seau, who shot himself in the chest in at his California home in May, sent shockwaves around the league.

::snipping2::

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-undrafted-free-agent-turned-starter-nfl-maine-black-bears-120112

Jovan Belcher

Tragedy leaves more questions

UPDATED DEC 1, 2012 2:53 PM ET     

Just before Thanksgiving, Jovan Belcher spoke about how grateful he was for his family, friends and Kansas City Chiefs coaches — those who helped an undrafted free agent linebacker from Maine become an NFL starter.

“First and foremost, God. Family and friends just keeping me focused, coaches and just everyone,” Belcher said in an interview with KCChiefs.com, the team’s news website, on Nov. 21.

At 25, Belcher appeared to have achieved all his dreams, professionally and personally. Eleven days later, Kansas City police allege Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend before going to the Chiefs practice facility at Arrowhead Stadium and fatally turning the gun on himself as team personnel pleaded with him to stop.

According to the Kansas City Star, Police Capt. David Lindaman said Belcher and the victim, parents of a 3-month-old daughter, got into an argument around 7 a.m. Saturday at their home in the 5400 block of Crysler Ave. in Kansas City.

According to police, at about 7:50 a.m., Belcher shot the victim multiple times. The victim was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

A neighbor told FOXSports.com he was stunned by the tragedy. “There have never been any issues in the past,” said Freddie Sinclair, who lives next door to the site of the murder on the 5400 block of Crysler Ave.

Belcher left the scene and went to the Chiefs’ headquarters, police said, encountering general manager Scott Pioli, head coach Romeo Crennel and other team personnel at the Arrowhead Stadium facility. Police were summoned to the stadium at about 8:10 a.m.

It was there, police say, that Chiefs personnel worked to keep Belcher from committing additional acts of violence, to no avail. As police arrived, they heard a gunshot

“The coaches said when (the police) pulled up (that) they were never in danger,” Darin Snapp, a public information officer at the Kansas City Police Department, told reporters outside Arrowhead. “He never threatened them. They talked for a little bit.”

The Chiefs released a statement: “We can confirm that there was an incident at Arrowhead earlier this morning. We are cooperating with authorities in their investigation.”

Belcher was in his fourth year with the Chiefs, joining the team as an undrafted free agent out of Maine in 2009. A special teams staple, he earned the starting inside linebacker job at the start of the 2011 NFL season. He recorded 87 tackles that season.

In the offseason, Belcher agreed to accept a tender offer and re-signed on March 22, 2012. He played in 11 games this season, starting 10, with 38 tackles and one pass defensed. He had no career interceptions.

He was regarded as a hard-working player, an overachiever, who rose from being a standout multi-position football player and wrestler at West Babylon High School in New York, in the heart of Long Island, to earn a $1.927 million base salary as an NFL starter in 2012.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »

http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/01/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide/

KC CHIEFS JOVAN BELCHER
Girlfriend's Family Never Saw Problems

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher and girlfriend Kasandra Perkins were an extremely happy couple ... this according to Kasandra's family, who says news of the alleged murder/suicide this morning came as an "utter shock."

Members of Kasandra's family tell TMZ ... Jovan and Kasandra always seemed to be in love. In fact, we're told when Kasandra got pregnant, she and Jovan were "ecstatic." The family says ever since the baby was born in September, the two couldn't have seemed happier together.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/jovan.belcher

https://www.facebook.com/kasandra.m.perkins

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »

Precious baby girl left without parents...   

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2493449073302&set=pb.1765069122.-2207520000.1354394869&type=3&permPage=1

Kasandra Michelle Perkins
Good morning! ♥ — with Janell Marie Fernandez and Jovan Belcher.
Share · November 16 via mobile
near Kansas City, MO

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

My sincere condolences to the families of Jovan and Kasandra...such a tragedy! 

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

MURDER/SUICIDE: NFL Kansas City Chief Player Commits Suicide at Arrowhead Stadium After Fatally Killing his Girl Friend (Update: Cheif LB Jovan Belcher Confirmed Dead in murder-suicide)

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2012/12/01/nfl-kansas-city-chief-player-commits-suicide-at-arrowhead-stadium-after-fatally-killing-his-girl-friend/

MURDER/SUICIDE AND THE NFL … The Kansas City Chiefs are having one of their worse seasons ever and it just got even worse.

As reported at ESPN, an unnamed Kansas City Chief player has committed suicide this morning at Arrow Head Stadium at approximately 8 pm central time. It is also being reported by According to KCTV-5 in Kansas City that the player who committed suicide is believed to have fatally shot his girl friend at her home in the 5400 block of Crysler around 8 am.  The player then drove to the Kansas City Chief practice facility, where he turned the gun on himself. He was pronounced dead shortly after. Police have not released the names of the girlfriend or the Chief player.

[...]

UPDATE III: Now being reported at multiple sources. Deadspin has pics from Facebook of Belcher, his girlfriend and their child, uploaded to this Facebook page. The caption reads, “Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours.” Sad, so very sad that it could come to this. What a complete waste. The motive for the shooting remains unclear.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »

Very sad.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »

http://www.kltv.com/slideshow?widgetid=68436&clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

CHIEFS FANS, PLAYERS FILL SOMBER ARROWHEAD STADIUM
Members of the Kansas City Chiefs and Carolina Panthers pray together following an NFL football game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., Sunday, Dec. 2, 2012. The Chiefs won 27-21.
(AP Photo/Colin E. Braley)

CHIEFS FANS, PLAYERS FILL SOMBER ARROWHEAD STADIUM
Against the backdrop of an unthinkable tragedy, the Kansas City Chiefs gave themselves a reason to be proud Sunday — and perhaps the impetus to let the healing begin.
(Bill Lindsay/KCTV)

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-14/jovan-belcher-autopsy-shot-girlfriend-drunk-kc-chiefs-murder-suicide?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D257123

Jovan Belcher autopsy: Chiefs LB shot girlfriend 9 times, was drunk

PUBLISHED 9 hours and 19 minutes ago

An autopsy shows Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot his girlfriend nine times before he killed himself.

A report from the Kansas City Star also states Belcher was legally drunk at the time, registering a blood-alcohol level of .17.

Jovan Belcher's autopsy reveals he was drunk when he murdered his girlfriend at their home before taking his own life at the Kansas City Chiefs facility. (AP Photo)

The Jackson County Medical Examiner released the results of autopsies performed on Belcher and his 22-year-old girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, following their deaths Dec. 1.

The autopsy report says Perkins was shot in the neck, chest, abdomen, hip, back, leg and hand. Belcher and Perkins had an infant daughter, and their families are fighting for custody of her.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:06 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/Medical-examiner-releases-report-on-former-Austinite-killed-by-NFL-boyfriend-186869442.html
Medical examiner releases report on former Austinite killed by NFL boyfriend
January 14, 2013

Monday the medical examiner in Kansas City released autopsy results for NFL linebacker Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins. They show Belcher was legally drunk when he shot Perkins nine times.

The report says Perkins was shot in the neck, chest, abdomen, hip, back, leg and hand.
Belcher then drove to the Kansas City Chiefs' practice facility and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager.

His blood-alcohol level was .17 -- more than twice the amount considered legally drunk. The medical examiner says it was probably even higher when he shot Perkins.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.