May 28, 2024, 07:16:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Child Missing From Cancer Ward AZ. Emily 11/28/12  (Read 5751 times)
cw618
Monkey Junky

« on: December 02, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »

Child Missing From Cancer Ward
Dec 2, 2012 11:46am

(Image Credit: Phoenix Police Department

::snipping2::

The welfare of a missing 11-year-old leukemia patient who was taken from a Phoenix hospital by her mother the day before she was scheduled to be discharged is the prime concern for authorities, who fear a catheter in the girl’s heart could become infected and endanger her life.

The patient, who is known as Emily, recently battled an infection and had her right arm amputated. Surveillance video captured Emily, a young boy, and Emily’s mother, who police are only identifying as Norma, walking out of Phoenix Children’s Hospital at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
“In this particular case, we have again an 11-year-old girl who can’t really decide for herself,” said Sgt. Steve Martos of the Phoenix Police Department. “Her parents are now removing her from the hospital and putting her in danger by not providing that last bit of medical attention that she needs.”

The search has been difficult for officers, Martos said, since Emily and her family are from Mexico and have no locally listed records in Arizon
vid at link/more
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/arizona-police-searching-for-child-missing-from-cancer-ward/

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:14:13 PM »

I hope Emily can be found and receive the treatment she needs.  From the article above, it appears her mother removed her IV, and Emily went into the bathroom with no wig, came out with a wig on and covered her amputated arm to be able to leave the hospital and not raise suspicion.  Why leave like that?  Was her mother concerned about money owed?  Are they hiding from someone?  Even if Emily is found and receives treatment, there's going to be a big legal tangle, and it will put Emily through even more than she's already had to endure in her young life.  It's  so sad.  I'd really like to know Emily's mother's reasoning for fleeing. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

A child missing from the cancer ward of Phoenix Children's Hospital is feared to be in danger if she does not receive prompt medical care. The 11-year-old known only as Emily was seen leaving the hospital with her mother the day before she was scheduled to be discharged, and authorities fear that could leave her in danger.

Emily has leukemia and had recently had her arm amputated; she was hospitalized while fighting an infection. Doctors worry that she could be at significant risk for more health problems if she is not returned to the hospital immediately because Emily has a catheter in her heart that they fear could become infected if not properly attended to.
Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/child-missing-from-cancer-ward-could-die-in-a-matter-of-days-85951/#twlDl06i5fAUTPt1.99

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/03/cancer-ward-patient-missing-arizona-police-11-year-old-girl-hospital-mom_n_2228246.html

video
Cancer Ward Patient Missing: Ariz. Police Search For 11-Year-Old Girl Taken From Hospital By Mom

12-3-12

Arizona police are desperately searching for an 11-year-old leukemia patient who was taken from a Phoenix hospital by her mother a day before she was scheduled to be discharged.

According to AZ Central, authorities are concerned about the child's welfare as they fear that a catheter in her heart could soon become infected and endanger her life.

“We have been informed by medical personnel if the catheter is not medically removed the victim’s heart could potentially become infected resulting in the child’s death,” police spokesman Steve Martos told the news website.
 ::snipping2:: more

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »

Nut, cw618 started a thread for Emily yesterday, so I'll merge the one you've started today with hers.  I hope Emily can be found safe and soon!!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »

The search for Emily has been expanded from Arizona to California.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2007960275001/
Desperate search for child missing from cancer ward
December 3, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57556870/missing-ariz-girl-with-leukemia-could-die-if-not-found/
Missing Ariz. girl with leukemia could die if not found
December 3, 2012

PHOENIX Authorities in Arizona say a young girl with leukemia and a heart catheter could die if she is not brought back to a Phoenix hospital after her parents inexplicably removed her from the facility last week.

Phoenix police are asking anyone with information to come forward with any information about the patient, who is being called Emily, and her parents, who are being called Norma and Luis. Health privacy laws prevent them from releasing their names.

The 11-year-old girl had been receiving chemotherapy at Phoenix Children's Hospital for about a month, Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos said.
Martos said the family lives a "nomadic" life without a permanent residence, but they have relatives in Arizona, California and Mexico, none of whom have been able to provide police with information about their whereabouts. Authorities don't know why the child's parents took her from the hospital, but speculate they might have been concerned with paying the bill.

The girl's father is a Mexican citizen with a U.S. resident alien identification card. The child and her mother are U.S. citizens, Martos said.

While it is not against the law for a parent to remove their daughter or son from a hospital, it is breaking the law if the child needs medical attention for a life-threatening situation, KPHO said.
Neither parent has been charged with a rime yet.

Martos says the catheter could cause a deadly heart infection if not removed properly or left in too long.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/Sick-girl-sought-after-mom-takes-her-from-hospital-181992991.html
Sick girl sought after mom takes her from hospital
December 4, 2012

PHOENIX (AP) -- Authorities are looking for an 11-year-old girl with leukemia and a heart catheter who they say could die in a matter of days if she isn't brought back to a hospital after her parents inexplicably took her out of the facility last week.
Authorities had been stymied by health privacy laws that kept them from releasing the parents' names, but police said Monday that U.S. Border Patrol stopped the girl's father, Luis Bracamontes, 46, as he crossed into Arizona from Mexico over the weekend.

Martos said the man provided no clues to the girl's whereabouts and denied having any involvement in removing her from the hospital. Police released his name, along with that of the girl's mother, Norma Bracamontes, 35, in hopes it will help locate the child.

Neither parent is charged with a crime yet, but authorities want the child brought back to the hospital before it's too late, Martos said.

He said the family lives a "nomadic" life without a permanent residence, but they have relatives in Arizona, California and Mexico, none of whom have been able to provide police with information about their whereabouts.

The girl's father is a Mexican citizen with a U.S. resident alien identification card. The child and her mother are U.S. citizens, Martos said.

Phoenix Children's Hospital spokeswoman Jane Walton declined comment, citing health privacy laws.

Authorities don't know why the child's parents took her from the hospital, but speculate they might have been concerned with paying the bill.

Surveillance footage shows the mother pushing an IV stand through a hospital hallway. The girl with her right arm removed above the elbow and wrapped in a bandage is seen walking beside her.

"We just don't know what their intent was," Martos said. "But this could become extremely serious if she contracts an infection ... Our primary concern is she get the proper medical care so we can prevent obviously the worst case scenario here."

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:22:22 AM »

if anyone sees Emily, and her parents,please explain to them that  Emily is a U.S. citizen,and a child,so her med costs are covered under a medicare program,they just need to see the social worker,at the hospital and file the paper work,to get the med costs taken care of, no big deal
the worker will help you with filling out the paper work too

http://www.kvue.com/news/Sick-girl-sought-after-mom-takes-her-from-hospital-181992991.html

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »

Nut, cw618 started a thread for Emily yesterday, so I'll merge the one you've started today with hers.  I hope Emily can be found safe and soon!!

oops---didn't see it

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »

oops---didn't see it

No biggie.    

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »

Search continues for ill Arizona girl taken from hospital
December 4, 2012, 2:42 p.m.

The story of the missing girl has gripped Arizona for days: how an 11-year-old with leukemia may die after her mother took her out of a children’s hospital.

Now police say this isn’t the first time that the parents of Emily Bracamontes have prematurely spirited her away from receiving medical care.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said Tuesday that the parents, Norma and Luis Bracamontes, did the same thing at least once in California. He could not provide more details

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-arizona-missing-girl-20121204,0,18398.story
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »

Police Considering Charges in Missing Sick Girl Case
10:20 AM, Dec 5, 2012

They're even considering criminal charges.

"Certainly, from our standpoint, we are looking at it thinking, is this negligence in failing to provide Emily the proper medical care that she requires?" Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos said Tuesday. "They should know by now what is required, what Emily needs, so it baffles us that anyone, any parent with a child like this, with leukemia and an amputated arm, and now you put them in this situation where it's potentially fatal, we just don't understand why they would not seek medical treatment."

Authorities speculate the mother might have been concerned with paying the child's hospital bill, but her motivation remains a mystery.

The family lives a "nomadic" life without a permanent residence, but they have relatives in Arizona, California and Mexico, none of whom have been able to provide police with information about their whereabouts, Martos said.

http://www.wltx.com/news/national/article/211435/142/Police-Considering-Charges-in-Missing-Sick-Girl-Case
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50084213/#50084213
TODAY   |  Aired on December 05, 2012

Dad of missing cancer patient, 11: ‘She’s in good hands’
As authorities continue to look for  Emily Bracamontes, 11, who is suffering from leukemia and was removed from Phoenix Children’s Hospital by her mother last Wednesday, her parents are saying they have no plans to bring her back and that she is “well.” NBC’s Miguel Almaguer reports.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »

http://www.key103.co.uk/news/uk-and-world/20121205-cancer-girl-safer-in-mexico-say-parents/
Cancer Girl Safer in Mexico, Say Parents
December 5, 2012

Video at Link

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50084213/#50084213
TODAY   |  Aired on December 05, 2012

Dad of missing cancer patient, 11: ‘She’s in good hands’
As authorities continue to look for  Emily Bracamontes, 11, who is suffering from leukemia and was removed from Phoenix Children’s Hospital by her mother last Wednesday, her parents are saying they have no plans to bring her back and that she is “well.” NBC’s Miguel Almaguer reports.
WTH?  Sounds to me like they heard doctors say something they didn't want to hear.  I have a child relative that has been suffering from leukemia for 4 of his 5 years.  Last year he underwent a cord blood transplant.  I've seen this child suffer in ways that would bring an adult to their knees and still he is ready to fight. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/emily-bracamontes-on-gma-missing-pch-girl-appears-on-abcs-good-morning-america
Emily Bracamontes, missing PCH girl, appears safe in 'Univision' interview
December 12, 2012

NEW YORK - An 11-year-old girl whose mother took her from a Phoenix hospital where she was receiving treatment for leukemia appeared to be safe and healthy in an interview broadcast on Wednesday.
Emily's mother, Norma Bracamontes, appeared with her daughter in a Univision interview and blamed the hospital for an infection that led to her daughter's right arm being amputated. The family and Emily were being intimidated by the hospital over bills, she said.

"Emily, you're not going to go home because your mom and dad, they haven't filled (out) all the forms, so blame them that you're going to remain here stuck in the hospital," Norma Bracamontes said hospital officials told her daughter.

Emily underwent about a month of chemotherapy and had been treated for an infection that forced doctors to amputate her arm, police said. Her mother unhooked the tubing from an IV and left with the girl, leaving her susceptible to infection.

She appeared with her mother in what appeared to be a medical facility. The facility was not identified.

"I am here and it kinda feels good because the doctors really love me so much," said a bright-eyed and smiling Emily, who wore a pink knitted cap.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »

http://www.today.com/moms/mom-who-took-cancer-patient-hospital-speaks-out-1C7563683
Mom who took child with cancer from hospital speaks out
December 12, 2012

Two weeks after a woman sneaked her 11-year-old daughter with leukemia out of a Phoenix hospital, the girl's parents say she is safe and under the care of doctors in Mexico.

Wearing a hot-pink fuzzy hat, Emily said she has no regrets about leaving Phoenix.
“I wanted to get out,” she told TODAY. “I was happy that I’m going back home to see my doctors in Mexico.”n late November, police released as surveillance video showing Bracamontes and Emily leaving Phoenix Children’s Hospital, sparking a police search.

Before they got into a black van, the video shows Bracamontes and Emily walking into a hospital bathroom, where police say Bracamontes disconnected an IV from her daughter’s heart catheter and changed her clothes. Police said the girl’s life was at risk because the catheter wasn't properly sealed.

Emily’s parents say they took their daughter out of the hospital after she contracted a bacterial infection in her right arm, which had to be amputated, and that they were pressured over health insurance and mounting medical bills, according to TODAY.

Officials at the hospital said they couldn’t discuss Emily’s medical treatment, but released a statement saying: “We steadfastly disagree with the assertions brought forth regarding the quality of care Emily received. ... Emily’s health and well-being continues to be our primary concern.”

Police, meanwhile, are still investigating and said that Emily’s parents could face charges of child endangerment and abuse, TODAY reported.

“We have been unable to verify anything the family has said regarding medical treatment to Emily,” the Phoenix Police Department said in a statement. “The family has been uncooperative. “

Emily is said to be in remission, and her parents say they have no plans to bring her back to the U.S.
Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-phoenix-girl-cancer-mexico-20121212,0,2252382.story
Ailing girl who left Phoenix hospital says it 'feels good' in Mexico
December 12, 2012

An Arizona woman remains the subject of a police hunt after she unexpectedly spirited her ailing daughter, an 11-year-old leukemia patient, from a Phoenix hospital last month and apparently is now in Mexico.

A surveillance video showed Norma Bracamontes leading her daughter Emily out of Phoenix Children's Hospital on Nov. 28. The woman had previously unhooked intravenous tubing and left with the girl, rendering her susceptible to further infection, officials said.

Bracamontes on Wednesday told ABC's "Good Morning America" that she blamed the hospital for complications that led to her daughter's right arm being amputated. Adding insult to injury, she said she was being harassed by the hospital over unpaid bills.
Speaking from a medical facility that was not identified, Emily said on the ABC broadcast, “I am here, and it kind of feels good because the doctors really love me so much.”

Emily's father, Luis Bracamontes, had said last week in an interview with NBC News that his daughter was safe and being treated by doctors in Mexico.

Phoenix police would not comment on Wednesday's TV appearance other than to confirm they are looking for the girl and her mother.

A spokesman for Phoenix Children's Hospital told the Los Angeles Times that police have visited the facility looking for evidence and that the hospital would continue to treat Emily if she is returned.

Joe Kester, a marketing and communications manager at the hospital, said officials could not comment on the details of the case due to privacy laws. “But the safety and well-being of that child is our main and only concern right now,” he told The Times.

In a statement, the hospital defended its treatment of the child.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »

It would appear Emily Bracamontes is no longer "missing".  I'm not sure she's really "safe" though. 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.