March 19, 2024, 01:43:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Wayne Gacy's Blood Could Solve Old Murders  (Read 11280 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: December 03, 2012, 05:03:01 PM »

CHICAGO December 3, 2012 (AP)

Detectives have long wondered what secrets serial killer John Wayne Gacy and other condemned murderers took to the grave when they were executed — particularly whether they had other unknown victims.

Now, in a game of scientific catch-up, the Cook County Sheriff's Department is trying to find out by entering the killers' DNA profiles into a national database shared with other law-enforcement agencies. The move is based on an ironic legal distinction: The men were technically listed as homicide victims themselves because they were put to death by the state.

Authorities hope to find DNA matches from blood, semen, hair or skin under victims' fingernails that link the long-dead killers to the coldest of cold cases. And they want investigators in other states to follow suit and submit the DNA of their own executed inmates or from decades-old crime scenes.

"You just know some of these guys did other murders," said Jason Moran, the sheriff's detective leading the effort. He noted that some of the executed killers ranged all over the country before the convictions that put them behind bars for the last time.
 ::snipping2:: ::snipping2:: more
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/john-wayne-gacys-blood-solve-murders-17865035

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »

Serial killer Gacy's blood may solve old murders

11 hr ago| By Don Babwin
Three forgotten vials of blood from executed serial killer John Wayne Gacy were discovered in a freezer.

::snipping2:: ::snipping2::

The Illinois testing, which began during the summer, is the latest chapter in a story that began when Sheriff Tom Dart exhumed the remains of unknown victims of Gacy to create DNA profiles that could be compared with the DNA of people whose loved ones went missing in the 1970s, when Gacy was killing young men.

That effort, which led to the identification of one Gacy victim, caused Dart to wonder if the technology could help answer a question that has been out there for decades: Did Gacy kill anyone besides those young men whose bodies were stashed under his house or tossed in a river?

"He traveled a lot," Moran said of Gacy. "Even though we don't have any information he committed crimes elsewhere, the sheriff asked if you could put it past such an evil person."

After unexpectedly finding three vials of Gacy's blood stored with other Gacy evidence, Moran learned the state would only accept the blood in the crime database if it came from a coroner or medical examiner.

Moran thought he was out of luck. But then Will County Coroner Patrick O'Neil surprised him with this revelation: In his office freezer were blood samples from Gacy and at least three other executed inmates. The reason they were there is because after the death penalty was reinstated in Illinois in the 1970s, executions were carried out in Will County — all between 1990 and 1999, a year before then-Gov. George Ryan established a moratorium on the death penalty. So it was O'Neil's office that conducted the autopsies and collected the blood samples.

But there was bigger obstacle....

::snipping2:: ::snipping2:: much more
http://news.msn.com/us/serial-killer-gacys-blood-may-solve-old-murders
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:08:18 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »

I watched a program with his sister about her brother.  Sorry I don't know how to show it.  It was on Discovery ID.
She said she forgave him right before he was executed.
 ::jeep2::

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hunt-john-wayne-gacy-victims-finds-long-lost/story?id=21264052
How the Hunt for John Wayne Gacy Victims Led to a Long-Lost Brother
December 19, 2013

(3 pg article)

A renewed probe into John Wayne Gacy, the infamous serial killer who shattered so many families four decades ago, recently helped put a California family back together.

Edyth Hutton was 24 when her younger brother, Robert, vanished in 1972. Just last year, she found herself trolling through nearly 500 profiles of unidentified bodies posted online by police from across the country.

"It was very sad and very poignant," she told ABC News.

Little things in photos, such as a belt buckle in Robert's style, made her think she could be looking at her brother's body. In all, she found six profiles she felt "were really likely," submitting contact information for each.

"I only heard back from one of them. And that was Jason Moran," she said, referring to a detective from the Cook County Sheriff's Office outside Chicago.
Moran's office reopened the Gacy case two years ago, hoping to identify the last of eight unidentified victims. And Moran, a 15-year veteran of the force, became the one-man Gacy squad.
Edyth Hutton's tip became Lead #68.

Her brother had disappeared during Gacy's reign of terror near Chicago, and Robert Hutton was the quintessential Gacy victim: young, white, a bit of a vagabond often looking for work at places like the construction company Gacy owned.

Last Edyth Hutton heard, her brother was shuffling his way from the East Coast toward California, potentially placing him in the Chicago area at the time.

By all accounts, the two had been close growing up and playing together in Lancaster, Calif., a small, desert town about 70 miles north of Los Angeles.

After high school, Robert Hutton excitedly joined his sister, her new husband and their new baby on a road-trip across the country, living out of a pick-up truck and finding flashes of work along the way. But when the group landed in Colorado, Robert Hutton decided to stay there.

That was 42 years ago, and the last time Edyth Hutton saw her brother.

In the years afterward, her mother "tried hard to find him," poring over old phone bills showing where his past collect-calls originated, and urging local authorities in those areas to help, according to Edyth Hutton.

"She followed the trail as far as she could" and "just came to the conclusion that he was dead," Edyth Hutton said. "It was a sadness that she carried to her grave" in 1989.

Edyth Hutton carried on the effort, taking advantage of the Internet boom in the late 1990s.

She collected the names and addresses of every "Robert," "Robbie" or "Bob Hutton" she could find, sending handmade postcards to nearly 400 of them across the country.

The postcards concluded: "If this is not you, please forgive the intrusion and disregard this card."

That's what all of the recipients did, and another decade of fruitless online searches followed.

So when, in October 2011, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart announced his office was looking for leads in a new effort to identify eight of Gacy's 33 victims, Edyth Hutton thought she may have figured out her brother's fate. She contacted the sheriff's office.

But when Moran, the detective, did a little digging, he determined her brother was anything but dead, recently living in Breckenridge, Colo., and then moving to an unknown place.

For Moran, one thing was clear: Lead #68 was not a Gacy victim.

Moran, though, said he felt compelled "to follow through," especially after hearing that Robert Hutton's father, living in Oregon, was desperately fighting cancer.
More...

Video:  Jan. 8, 1979: John Wayne Gacy Indicted

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »

Thanks Muffy---interesting

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/#!/missingkids?fref=nf

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/24/decades-later-john-wayne-gacy-probe-still-solving-cold-cases/

Decades later, John Wayne Gacy probe still solving cold cases
By Ruth Ravve
·Published September 24, 2015·
FoxNews.com

CHICAGO –  It’s been 36 years since Willa Wertheimer last saw the brother she knew as Andy.

Andre Drath was just 16 when he left home in Chicago for San Francisco and was never heard from again, leaving his loved ones in uncertain despair over his fate. But the mystery of what became of her brother was finally solved as a byproduct of an investigation into one of the most infamous serial killers the nation has ever known, John Wayne Gacy.

Of the 33 males found buried in Gacy’s crawl space, eight were never identified. When  Cook County Sheriff  Tom Dart reopened the case in 2011 with the goal of learning their names, his office sought DNA samples of family members of Chicago-area boys who vanished in the late 1970s. Wertheimer sent hers, and while Andy was not one of the eight, her sample matched one in the federal database from a John Doe gunned down decades ago on the streets of San Francisco.

“Although I’m terribly sad, the knowing is so much better,” Wertheimer, who still lives in Chicago, told Fox News. “It seemed like a long shot for a kid living on the fringe, after 35 years.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »

3rd from the top left identified as James Byron Haakenson

James Byron Haakenson, age 16, was murdered by the serial killer John Wayne Gacy in 1976. His remains were identified this week.

John Wayne Gacy Victim Is Identified After Four Decades
By LIAM STACK   JULY 19, 2017

James Byron Haakenson, age 16, was murdered by the serial killer John Wayne Gacy in 1976. His remains were identified this week. Credit Cook County Sheriff's Office Investigators have used DNA evidence to identify one of the seven remaining unknown victims of John Wayne Gacy, a 1970s serial killer who raped and murdered dozens of teenage boys and young men and was labeled “the killer clown” by the news media, the authorities said on Wednesday.

The Cook County Sheriff’s Department in Illinois said that the newly identified victim was James Byron Haakenson, a 16-year-old boy who ran away from his home in St. Paul in the summer of 1976. The police found his body and 26 others in the crawl space beneath Mr. Gacy’s home in December 1978.

Mr. Gacy was among the most prolific serial killers in American history. From 1972 to 1978, he lured or forced 33 teenage boys and young men — some of whom he employed at his construction business — to his home in suburban Chicago, where he murdered them. He sexually assaulted most of his victims as he tortured them to death and buried all but six of them beneath his house.

Neighbors in Norwood Park Township, Ill., knew Mr. Gacy for his appearances at children’s parties where he performed as Pogo the Clown, a character he later painted or sketched numerous times while in prison.

Mr. Gacy was convicted in 1980 of killing 33 people and was executed in 1994. But identifying the remains of his victims has been a decades-long process aided in recent years by advances in forensic technology and the use of DNA evidence.

The police notified Mr. Haakenson’s family on Monday that his remains had been identified.

“It’s not every day you heard this: A monster murdered your brother,” his sister, Lorie Sisterman, told a CBS affiliate in Chicago. “It’s just not an everyday, normal conversation that you have with a detective from a different state who tells you this awful news.”

Mr. Haakenson’s family last heard from him on Aug. 5, 1976, when he called home and told his mother that he was in Chicago, the sheriff’s department said. Investigators believe he crossed paths with Mr. Gacy soon after that call.

His body was found in Mr. Gacy’s crawl space in December 1978 in a make-do grave alongside two others. One of those bodies was identified at the time as Rick Johnston, who was last seen on Aug. 6, 1976.

The department said it believed Mr. Gacy murdered Mr. Haakenson and Mr. Johnston either at or around the same time based on the last time they were seen and their relative positions in the crawl space. Investigators have not been able to identify the third body in that grave, which is classified as Victim No. 26.

Thomas J. Dart, the Cook County sheriff, reopened the investigation to identify the remaining victims in 2011, when there were eight whose identities were not known. Since then, investigators have identified one other victim: William Bundy, a 19-year-old who disappeared in October 1976.

The department said Mr. Haakenson’s mother tried to determine in 1979 if her son’s body was among those found under Mr. Gacy’s house, but dental records, which were the primary means of identification at the time, were unavailable. She is no longer alive, the department said.

The authorities identified Mr. Haakenson’s remains by requesting DNA samples from two of his siblings and submitting them to the University of Northern Texas Center for Human Identification. They also reviewed the original missing person’s report filed by Mr. Haakenson’s family, information from the Social Security Administration and post-mortem reports.

Mr. Gacy’s unidentified victims were buried in 1981 under tombstones inscribed with the words “We Are Remembered.” The sheriff’s department said its investigation into the identities of the six remaining unknown victims was continuing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/john-wayne-gacy-victim-identified.html

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.