March 29, 2024, 08:47:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newton, CT - Multiple Deaths  (Read 276157 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »

When we allow the gov't to dictate what we can own we are in danger of falling off a freedom cliff that we won't be able to climb back up.  If Lanza had used a sword would we be banning all knives beyond a certain length?  If he'd used a metal bar would we ban all metal bars?  Its a slippery slope.

IMO, it boils down to mental health services.  We need a system that supports the ill and their families.  We need to have somewhere that families can go to when they've reached the limit of what they know to do.  We've gutted Mental Health Services to a point of hazard.  Banning guns is a band-aid approach to the real issue. 

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/mental-health-benefits-state-laws-mandating-or-re.aspx
State Laws Mandating or Regulating Mental Health Benefits
Updated: December 2011
Mental health services have been one significant part of medical care for a number of years. However, the costs, coverage and availability of such services have been the object of policy discussions and a variety of state legislation. There is not a general consensus that state government should require coverage for mental health.  49 states and D.C. currently have some type of enacted law but these laws vary considerably and can be divided roughly into three categories:

More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:42:15 PM by CBB » Logged
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/17/neighbor-describes-taking-6-young-sandy-hook-survivors-into-his-home/
Neighbor describes taking 6 young Sandy Hook survivors into his home
December 17, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121217/us-school-shooting-moment-of-silence/?utm_hp_ref=homepage&ir=homepage
Conn. gov calls for moment of silence Friday
December 17, 2012

HARTFORD, Conn. — Connecticut's governor is calling for a moment of silence and churches to ring bells exactly one week after the shooting at an elementary school.
 ::snipping2::
Malloy is asking churches ring their bells 26 times to honor the victims.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/17/neighbor-describes-taking-6-young-sandy-hook-survivors-into-his-home/
December 17, 2012

Thank you Muffy. I wanted to post an excerpt from the article linked to in your post.

"He says one little boy told him: "We can't go back to school. Our teacher is dead."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »

December 17, 2012

Thank you Muffy. I wanted to post an excerpt from the article linked to in your post.

"He says one little boy told him: "We can't go back to school. Our teacher is dead."

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »

Bristol student arrested for making school threat
Posted: Dec 16, 2012 9:05 PM EST Updated: Dec 17, 2012 7:34 AM EST
By Steven Yablonski, Managing Editor - email

BRISTOL, CT (WFSB) -

As if the state hasn't suffered enough after a gunman opened fire inside Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton on Friday morning, shocking news was released Sunday night of a Bristol student that was arrested for allegedly making threats against a school.

Bristol police released a statement Monday morning and said the threat was made against Bristol Central High School by an unnamed student.

Bristol police said no one was in any danger, but police took the threat seriously and arrested the juvenile on threatening and breach of peace charges.

Police said two additional officers have been placed within the school due to the tragic shooting in Newtown on Friday.

The student told police the threat was a joke. ::snipping2::

http://www.wfsb.com/story/20358667/bristol-student-arrested-for-making-school-threat

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #207 on: December 17, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »

This was today also

Suspicious man prompts lock downs in Ridgefield, Redding
Posted: Dec 17, 2012 9:17 AM EST Updated: Dec 17, 2012 11:45 AM EST
By WFSB Staff

RIDGEFIELD, CT (WFSB) -

A suspicious person near a train station in Ridgefield forced officials there and Redding to lock down schools Monday morning.

Ridgefield police said just before 8 a.m. they received word of a suspicious man wearing all black and may have been carrying a weapon near a local train station.

Police said schools in Ridgefield were locked down as well as in Redding.

Students en route to Branchville Elementary School were rerouted to East Ridge Middle School as a precaution.

After an investigation it was determined that there was no threat and the lockdowns were lifted before noon. ::snipping2::

http://www.wfsb.com/story/20361491/suspicious-man-prompts-lock-downs-in-ridgefield-redding

We have been getting a school lockdown a lot lately

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #208 on: December 17, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »

http://fox4kc.com/2012/12/17/westboro-meets-its-match-thousands-sign-retaliatory-petitions/
Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions
December 17, 2012

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Thousands have signed two separate petitions that would classify Topeka’s Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group and strip it of its tax exempt status. The petitions were started after members of Westboro announced plans to protest a Sunday vigil in Newtown, Conn.
After Westboro Baptist Church spokesperson Shirey Phelps-Roper tweeted plans to protest the vigil, “to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgement,” the hacktivist group known as “Anonymous” threatened the church via video.
In addition to the video, Anonymous hacked Westboro’s website and released personal information about church members including names, street addresses, phone numbers and email addresses according to CNET.
Anonymous didn’t stop there. Using its Twitter account, Anonymous has asked its followers to sign a petition that would investigate the IRS tax-exempt status of the church. As stated on the White House website, the petition claims: The Westboro Baptist Church is better-known for homophobic displays, suing people and picketing funerals than for providing Christian care to a community. Due to their harassment and politicking, their IRS tax-exempt status should be immediately investigated.
A total of 16,062 signatures are needed before the White House will review the petition. As of noon on Monday, nearly 10,000 people had signed it.
Another petition aims at stripping Westboro of its “religious” affiliation and classifying it as a hate group. As stated in part on the White House website, Westboro’s “actions have been directed at many groups, including homosexuals, military, Jewish people and even other Christians. They pose a threat to the welfare and treatment of others and will not improve without some form of imposed regulation.”
Over 108,000 people have signed this petition, which surpasses the 25,000 needed for the White House to review it.

There is a poll in the article, and you can vote yes or no to the question:

Do you think Westboro should be stripped of its religious affiliation and classified as a hate group?

This needs spread around more, for more sigs.  Maybe own thread?  The more the better

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »

OK, I am bout to go on one of Red's rants ... I realize that some may not agree, but there is a greater issue out there.

The situation in Newtown, CT  is a greater issue than taking away guns. I am sorry, but I think Our Founding Fathers knew more than us and the present day politically partisan hacks in Washington. They had a greater perspective as a whole of society and the formation of the United States and what was important. There is a reason why the 2nd Amendment, is just that, 2nd and the greatest right we have is Freedom of Speech, religion. If a right to bear arms was not all that important, it would have been #10. For those who say they were speaking about Muskets and not the guns of the 21st century, have little understanding of the work they did to form the US.

That being said, when you take away guns, only the criminals will have them. How you ask? I would ask the simple question, How's that War on Drugs going in America? It is obvious that we cannot legislate personal responsibility. Do you folks realize how many people own guns? Semi-automatics, hand guns, etc and none of them go out and kill people?

The fact that this sick kid had access to his parents gun is an issue. How do we stop a sick and twisted kid from taking his parent's legally registered guns? Say, he stole his mother's car and ran over 20 kids killing them ... would we be talk about banning cars? We already have laws on the books that prevent the mentally insane from legally purchasing guns. Am I in favor of a longer waiting period for a background check, sure. Do I believe  that gun owners should pass courses, yup. Maybe the question that needs to be asked on the gun back ground check is do you have an insane kid living in your home? But the guns are not the issue, in every case we have seen of a mass murderer, Columbine, VA Tech, Aurora CO, Gabby Giffords, etc ... we are witness to a nut job as the gunman.

I am a business project consultant by trade and work in the world of "root-cause" analysis. What this means is that when there is an issue, a team, department, business misses their goals, metrics or mission, its my job to figure out why. The #1 easiest and most common excuse why such things are missed is because they did not have enough employees. 99.9% of the time that is never the reason when applying root cause analysis. Thus, a knee-jerk reaction to just blame guns is about as productive as rasing taxes on the so-called rich is the answer for our spending problems in DC. (that story is for another day).

This is all going to be a part of my "What happened to my Country" post (novelette). There are so many things that are involved with these callous, desensitized, anti-social, psychopaths than just guns. We have always had guns in this country, something has happened lately that we are breeding some real whackos in these past generations.

On a personal note, I had my first Daisy BB gun in the 1st grade, Cross-man Air rifle at age 9, .22 caliber rifle at age 11, 4-10 gauge shot gun age 12, .22 handgun age 12, 9mm hand gun age 13, .30-06 rifle 15. Not once during the use of any of these guns did I think of mass murder. Back in the day we were taught gun safety in Elementary school. I was considered a marksman status by the 8th grade. Would it surprise you to know that my friends and I over the years have owned AK-47's and AR-15, both semi-automatic assault weapons. Today, I am more into my Glock hand guns.

I believe in the 2nd Amendment and with the way the country has got, I am sorry but I would rather have the ability to protect myself than depend on others. Let's face it, if there is a robbery, assault, etc, what ever happens is going to happen until the police show. At that point the damage is done. Like what happened in Newtown, CT ... once the police showed on the scene, all the shoots had been fired and all had died.

There is a reason why I hold a carry and conceal permit and that is is God forbid I, my family, my friends or if I am out in public and am presented with a nutjob like Adam Lanza ... he would not be killing anyone.

The point I am trying to make here is that 99% of Americans are law abiding and responsible gun owners. We cannot compare the streets of Chicago and Philly and the gang violence to mass shootings in Newtown, CT or Aurora, Co. To do so is being completely ingenuous. You are never getting the guns out of the inner cities. It is too easy to get them illegally. However, if we really want to look at why such heinous acts of violence occurred in Ct that sadly killed 20 precious 6 and 7 year old's, then we need to be honest and take the politics out of the situation.

Its not about guns, its about the fact that we have raised a generation of troubled and disturbed boys that have mental illness and desensitized to killing where they think killing kids is like shooting inanimate objects. No one can tell me that the advent of VIDEO games like "Call of Duty" are not part of the problem. However, its not the only problem. It becomes a "Perfect storm" of disaster when you put a loner, anti-social, mentally-ill together with violent VIDEO games, no parental supervision, no sense of right and wrong, no moral compass, no religion and access to a gun because we either do not take mental illness serious in this country or we have apathetic people just standing by and calling someone a ticking time bomb and then say they are not surprised when they kill.

We cannot think that we can protect everyone from evil at the expense of our Liberties. This is much like terrorism. We have to be right 100% of the time, the sick SOB's like Lanza have to get it right just once.

Making a gun illegal is just not the answer. I believe that if we believe as a Nation that out children are our greatest national treasure, then we also need to protect them as such. Why do we have armed guards in banks and trucks that take $'s from one place to another? Because they are protecting assets. Our children are our greatest assets, its about time we start spending more money on them and less on Teachers Unions pensions. Its about time we spend more money on the protection of our children and less on buyer books like Heather has Two mommies, teaching elementary kids about sex ed and maybe teaching kids at a younger age that there is a such thing in life called failing and not getting an award for finishing 10th. We have created a generation of kids who cannot seem to cope with issues that confront them.

Its not about gun control, its about self control and what happened in our country to create so many boys with no souls and black hearts? No one can say that we have not had guns since the founding of our Country. What needs to be looked at is how we have developed a generation of sick and twisted males who have no regard for human life. And I thought that taking dodge-ball out of schools was the answer to not making people feel bad about themselves.

In a phrase ... What has happened to my Country?

I agree Red, great rant!   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »

'Mommy, I'm okay, but all my friends are dead': Pastor recounts horror of 6-year-old girl who survived by playing dead as Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza massacred her classmates: report

Newtown pastor Jim Solomon said the girl came out of Sandy Hook Elementary School after the massacre covered 'head-to-toe in blood.'

She lived by pretending she was dead.

A 6-year-old girl survived by playing dead as Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter Adam Lanza sprayed her classroom with bullets, killing everyone around her, a Newtown, Conn., pastor told ABC News. 

Pastor Jim Solomon, who counseled the girl’s mother in the aftermath of Friday's horrific mass shooting, told ABC News that the unidentified first-grader was the first student to emerge from Sandy Hook after the massacre, her school clothes soaked in her classmates’ blood.

“Mommy, I’m okay, but all my friends are dead,” the little girl said, according to Solomon.

The girl was the only survivor in a class of 16 people, according to ABC News.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/first-grader-survived-playing-dead-article-1.1221997#ixzz2FMfVa06d

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

December 17, 2012

Thank God they found someone to take care of them and who could relate to the trauma they were dealing with.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »

http://fox4kc.com/2012/12/17/westboro-meets-its-match-thousands-sign-retaliatory-petitions/
Westboro Meets Its Match: Thousands Sign Retaliatory Petitions
December 17, 2012

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Thousands have signed two separate petitions that would classify Topeka’s Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group and strip it of its tax exempt status. The petitions were started after members of Westboro announced plans to protest a Sunday vigil in Newtown, Conn.
After Westboro Baptist Church spokesperson Shirey Phelps-Roper tweeted plans to protest the vigil, “to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgement,” the hacktivist group known as “Anonymous” threatened the church via video.
In addition to the video, Anonymous hacked Westboro’s website and released personal information about church members including names, street addresses, phone numbers and email addresses according to CNET.
Anonymous didn’t stop there. Using its Twitter account, Anonymous has asked its followers to sign a petition that would investigate the IRS tax-exempt status of the church. As stated on the White House website, the petition claims: The Westboro Baptist Church is better-known for homophobic displays, suing people and picketing funerals than for providing Christian care to a community. Due to their harassment and politicking, their IRS tax-exempt status should be immediately investigated.
A total of 16,062 signatures are needed before the White House will review the petition. As of noon on Monday, nearly 10,000 people had signed it.
Another petition aims at stripping Westboro of its “religious” affiliation and classifying it as a hate group. As stated in part on the White House website, Westboro’s “actions have been directed at many groups, including homosexuals, military, Jewish people and even other Christians. They pose a threat to the welfare and treatment of others and will not improve without some form of imposed regulation.”
Over 108,000 people have signed this petition, which surpasses the 25,000 needed for the White House to review it.

There is a poll in the article, and you can vote yes or no to the question:

Do you think Westboro should be stripped of its religious affiliation and classified as a hate group?

This needs spread around more, for more sigs.  Maybe own thread?  The more the better
I can't stand the wacko's of Westboro.  That said, once again, this is a slippery slope.  Who defines which 'church' is a hate group and which isn't?  Who updates the criteria?  We must be very careful to uphold the freedoms and rights that our forefathers set out years ago.  When we give those up, we are no longer the USA.  Westboro is a disgusting group.  But, even disgusting groups have rights and freedoms in this country.  You want to really hurt them?   Then go to the businesses that they use and boycott those businesses.  The banks, airlines, car dealerships, restaurants, clothing stores, the place that prints their disgusting signs.  To really hurt them you need to go after their wallets.  Who employs these cretins?  Go after those folks.  Take away their money and you take away their voice.

I've been told that the Patriot Riders will be guarding the funerals of the victims.  They've done it before and Westboro has backed down. 

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/nancy-lanza-peter-lanza-divorce_n_2316461.html

Nancy Lanza, Peter Lanza Divorce Documents Reveal Details About Adam Lanza's Parents

While she would not disclose details of their discussions, Levy wanted to make clear that the Lanzas were loving parents who wanted the best for their son.

"These people are soft-spoken, gentle, both of them saying, `What can we do to help him?'" Levy said.

What do you do when everything you do just isn't enough?

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #214 on: December 17, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »

Comfort dogs help ease pain of mourning Newtown community

Groups from across the country brought dogs, some of them therapy animals, some just caring pets, to help both young and old cope with their grief over the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.

By Jennifer H. Cunningham AND Adam Edelman / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, December 17, 2012, 6:47 PM

Dogs comfort a little boy Monday -- three days after the Newtown, Conn. shooting.

A pack of sympathetic groups bearing supportive canines spent much of Monday with bereaved Connecticut residents affected by last week's Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, providing children and adults alike with the cuddly comfort that only a four-legged friend can give.

The "comfort dogs," or "therapy dogs" as they are sometimes called, were brought in by at least three groups late Sunday to help kids and adults alike cope with last week's horrific shooting in Newtown that left 20 first graders and six school officials dead.

Among the groups was the Hudson Valley Golden Retrievers Club, whose members spent the afternoon at a makeshift memorial near the town center, where both kids and adults in need of compassion stopped to pet and cuddle the dogs.

Mourning or otherwise devastated children and parents said that petting the dogs gave them relief from their sadness.

"I just love dogs, so whenever I'm around them, they make me feel better," said 12-year-old Ryan Williams. "When they come over and you pet them you kind of forget about what's happening for a little bit."

Jenna Stuart, a school bus driver from Newtown, said the dogs were an enormous help to her four-year-old daughter, Kylie, who attends preschool at the Children's Adventure Center in front of Sandy Hook Elementary and lost friends in the tragedy.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/comfort-dogs-helping-ease-pain-sandy-hook-tragedy-article-1.1222295#ixzz2FMvDDMLB

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #215 on: December 17, 2012, 11:10:55 PM »

Video at link
Two-page article

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-connecticut-shooting-mother-alimony-20121217,0,2535929.story

Upset by divorce? Outsider? Seeking clues in school shooter's past
December 17, 2012, 12:52 p.m.

Richard Novia, who formerly advised the Newtown High School tech club that was one of Lanza's few social outlets, said Lanza had been placed in a special program for students who were considered at risk of being bullied--though he had no recollection of Lanza ever being harassed.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Novia said he was told that Lanza had a medical condition that hindered his ability to feel pain, so that if he cut himself or stubbed his toe, he might not even know he was hurt, and could continue to cause harm to himself.

Novia described a nurturing environment at the high school where teachers and students were encouraged to be on the lookout for signs of abuse or emotional trauma, particularly in kids like Lanza.

“We had programs in place to identify the students who would be likely to have been bullied,” Novia said in a phone interview. “I don’t know that he was [bullied] but I do know that when he came to middle school and the high school level, he would have been the type to be a target.”

Even during her son's elementary school years, Nancy Lanza fretted about his schooling.

"She was concerned mainly that Adam wasn't fitting in well in his classroom," said Wendy Wipprecht, whose son had also been diagnosed with a form of autism. She said Lanza was exploring moving her son to a private Catholic school, or home schooling him, but did not attend sessions of any of the local autism parents' support groups in which Wipprecht was involved.

"She may have decided that there wasn't a support group that would fit," Wipprecht said. "Who knows. She may have been overwhelmed."
 There is no mention of Adam Lanza’s emotional troubles or any domestic strife in his parents' divorce papers. Last week, Ryan Lanza told investigators that the divorce could have had an impact on his younger brother.
Bergquist said her interest in shooting was not about self-defense. "It was mostly a hobby, a connection activity she could do with her son," he said. " Maybe, as disturbing as it seems now, it was something that he enjoyed and excelled and shared with his mother."

He said Nancy Lanza had been able to live comfortably with her alimony settlement, but said she had a strained relationship with her ex-husband, as did her sons.

"She never spoke very highly of her ex-husband," he said, describing the divorce as "less than amicable," although he wasn't sure why.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »

http://www.today.com/moms/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-another-moms-cry-help-1C7625059

'I am Adam Lanza's mother': Another mom's cry for help

Maggie Fox

Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM ET

Video: Liza Long, the mother of a mentally-ill teenager, writes that she worries some day, her son will also snap. NBC’s Lester Holt has more.

What is it like to live in fear that your child might hurt someone -- you, himself, or someone else?

No one can imagine what it must have felt like to be Adam Lanza’s mom, Nancy, who was among his 27 victims, or what his father is feeling right now. But Liza Long is afraid she has an inkling. In a powerful essay that's being shared across the internet, the Boise, Idaho, mom of four poured out her worries about her bright but disturbed teenage son.

"Every time I hear about  a mass shooting, I think about my son. And I wonder if someday, I'll be that mom," Long told NBC News in an exclusive interview.

There’s lots of speculation about whether Adam Lanza had some sort of mental health issue, but no firm facts yet. What is clear is that there are other agonized parents out there, trying to protect their children and, just sometimes, trying to protect the world from their children.

Written after Lanza shot 20 children and six adults to death at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday, Long's essay, first published on her own mom blog, has struck a chord, and it’s been picked up by dozens of other blogs.

Long writes:

I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

A few weeks ago, Michael (not his real name) pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7 and 9 year old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me.

We still don’t know what’s wrong with Michael. Autism spectrum, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant or Intermittent Explosive Disorder have all been tossed around at various meetings with probation officers and social workers and counselors and teachers and school administrators. He’s been on a slew of antipsychotic and mood altering pharmaceuticals, a Russian novel of behavioral plans. Nothing seems to work.

Locking up a 13-year-old can’t be the answer, she continues. But what is? Long writes:

I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza’s mother. I am Dylan Klebold’s and Eric Harris’s mother. I am James Holmes’s mother. I am Jared Loughner’s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho’s mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2012, 12:27:03 AM »

http://www.xojane.com/issues/a-response-to-i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-from-a-doctor-in-the-trenches-i-am-adam-lanzas-psychiatrist

"I AM ADAM LANZA’S PSYCHIATRIST": A RESPONSE FROM THE MENTAL HEALTH TRENCHES TO "I AM ADAM LANZA’S MOTHER"
Over the weekend, the viral blog post “I Am Adam Lanza’s Mother” spoke to the complicated relationship of a mother to a potentially dangerous and mentally ill son. xoJane asked a psychiatrist to respond.
Anonymous
15 Hours Ago | 252 comments

kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »

When we allow the gov't to dictate what we can own we are in danger of falling off a freedom cliff that we won't be able to climb back up.  If Lanza had used a sword would we be banning all knives beyond a certain length?  If he'd used a metal bar would we ban all metal bars?  Its a slippery slope.

IMO, it boils down to mental health services.  We need a system that supports the ill and their families.  We need to have somewhere that families can go to when they've reached the limit of what they know to do.  We've gutted Mental Health Services to a point of hazard.  Banning guns is a band-aid approach to the real issue. 
With all due respect, that is ridiculous. If this psycho had a knife or a bar he most likely would have had a hard time getting in for starters. If he had a gun or a bar theres no way that massacre could have occurred. Someone in that school could have taken him down & wrestled a knife or a bar away from him. He couldnt have slaughtered 26 people in 15 minutes. I would have had a good chance of being successful in a fight against someone with a knife or a bar even if i got slashed or hit hard with a bar. Im not arguing whether or not guns in general should be banned but there is absolutely no reason in this world that anyone but a law enforcement agent or a soldier needs a weapon like that. Ever. Maybe it would be prudent to make those who want to buy any gun go through a mental evaluation, a waiting period & a full evaluation of anyone living in their home or who can access those weapons. Im quite sure this kid wouldnt have passed a mental health test. This mother knew her son had issues yet she taught him to shoot & left him access to these weapons. Yes people should have a right to bear arms & defend themselves but a bushmaster is not required.
As far as the westboro baptist church being described as a religious group? Really? Not in my world. I dont see anyone who spews hate as a group i would associate with a religion other than that which follows satan. They are a hate group, plain & simple. In what religion would the killing of innocent babies be gods judgement or whatever that crackpot tweeted. Enough is enough with the freedom of speech bullcrap. These people dont deserve any freedoms. They are sick twisted & part of what satan has done to this world..
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2012, 01:43:38 AM »

Beautiful tribute imo.   an angelic monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO64urOFNaY

Hallelujah - The Voice
NBCTheVoice

Published on Dec 17, 2012
The coaches and artists pay tribute to the Connecticut shooting victims with Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IO64urOFNaY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IO64urOFNaY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.