April 20, 2024, 02:29:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pertussis/(Whooping Cough)  (Read 2406 times)
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« on: January 11, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »

Hi Monkeys,

Off Topic

The Whooping cough is also a biggie. A national pharmacy offers a whopping cough vaccine, (walk-in).  I do not know how much money it costs, but, I know I am interested in a vaccine against the whooping cough.  You need plenty of time

I am trying to avoid Brandi's cute Doctor with his little medical bag Smile

(I've started a thread for Pertussis/Whopping Cough.  It looks to be a very serious illness, particularly this year.  MB)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:19:25 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/
Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
Pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is a highly contagious respiratory disease. It is caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis.
Pertussis is known for uncontrollable, violent coughing which often makes it hard to breathe. After fits of many coughs, someone with pertussis often needs to take deep breathes which result in a "whooping" sound. Pertussis most commonly affects infants and young children and can be fatal, especially in babies less than 1 year of age.
The best way to protect against pertussis is immunization.
More at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:14:31 AM »

http://news.health.com/2013/01/10/technique-ids-deadliest-whooping-cough-cases/
Technique IDs Deadliest Whooping Cough Cases
January 10, 2013

THURSDAY, Jan. 10 (HealthDay News) — Taking early and repeated white blood cell counts is vital in diagnosing whooping cough (pertussis) in infants and identifying which of them have the highest risk of dying from the respiratory infection, according to a new study.

Researchers examined the medical records of 31 infants admitted to five pediatric intensive-care units in California between September 2009 and June 2011. In 2010, California had its highest pertussis rate in 60 years.

The study, which was published online Jan. 10 and in the March print issue of the Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, found that the eight infants with more severe pertussis had higher white blood cell counts and were more likely to show at least a 50 percent increase in white blood cells. They had median peak white blood cell counts of about 74,000, compared with about 24,000 among infants with less severe pertussis.

All but one infant with more severe pertussis had at least a 50 percent increase in white blood cells within 48 hours, while none of the infants with less severe pertussis had more than a 50 percent increase in white blood cells.

The researchers also found that the infants with more severe pertussis had higher maximum heart and breathing rates and were more likely to develop pneumonia. These conditions occurred earlier in infants with more severe pertussis than in those with less severe disease.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.