March 28, 2024, 07:43:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "...Food insecurity, homelessness rising across the country"  (Read 1805 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »

Emergency food assistance requests increased by an average of 22 percent, and the number of such requests rose in all but four of the cities. Some 51 percent of the demand for assistance came from members of families.

Perhaps most tellingly, the report also documented that over a third (37 percent) of those in need of emergency food assistance were employed. Overall, one in seven Americans are classified as being food insecure. As of 2011, nearly 47 million people received food stamps, an increase of 1.3 million over 2010.

Why would so many be falling into the food insecurity category during the 'recovery' touted by the political classes in Washington?  Obamanomics in action?  Where does it end?

In concluding the section on hunger in its executive summary, the task force commented: “Among their [city officials’] concerns are cuts in federal commodities and funding, declining food donations, and the negative impact of the nation’s continuing economic problems on their ability to meet food assistance needs.”

What economic problems?  I thought it's getting better?   A veritable tsunami of good fortune for Americans!

Sixty-percent of the surveyed US cities reported a growth in homelessness, with the average increase calculated at seven percent. As with hunger, the majority of cities saw an increase in homelessness in families, with over 70 percent of cities reporting a growth in this category. Shelters reported cases of severe mental illness in nearly one-third of all homeless adults.

Where are they hiding these homeless people?  Hiding the breadlines?  Why haven't I seen pictures of Obamaville on TV?  People lined up at food pantries and soup kitchens?  Can it really be this bad during the 'recovery'?

...a recent D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute study found that nearly half of the city’s core public housing budget had been slashed, from over $120 million in 2004, to a little over $60 million in 2010.

Can it be possible that they spend less on public housing in DC 2010 during Obama's first term than under Bush?  Help me understand.

An article in the Washington Post in November indicated that the Capitol Area Food Bank, which feeds over 700 food pantries and non-profits in the District of Columbia, has seen a 38 percent drop in food rations the government has donated this year...

Where is the food going?  Hmmm...what about all the increasing spending and borrowing?  Where is all the money going?

New York and Detroit were not included in the study!

read more here - http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2012/12/27/food-d27.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »

Why does it seem like the Washington is causing increased food insecurity and homelessness? 

On the other hand, they keep demanding more money, higher debt, and no accountability?

Anyone else see a problem?

Follow the money...

Interest rates are low...we need to keep investing.

Follow the money...

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »

"HUD Reports a Decline in Homelessness in Recent Years: No More Poverty Vows to Work until All Have Homes"

There has been a significant drop in chronic homelessness in the past three years, the HUD report said. The chronic homeless population decreased 6.8 percent since 2011. Since 2007, the number of chronically homeless dropped 19 percent. The Department of Veterans Affairs is also reporting that the veteran homeless rate dropped 7 percent in 2011 alone, and has decreased 17 percent since 2009. The White House has set a goal to eliminate veteran homelessness by 2015.

Chronic homelessness is characterized by the failure of a person to house him or herself for a period of more than one year, or if a disabled person experiences four or more instances of homelessness over a period of three years.

Have they redefined homelessness?  How can mayors of big cities see increases and HUD says decrease?  Where are the chronic homeless going?  If homelessness is decreasing, perhaps the spending can be cut back?

read HUD presser here - http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/press/press_releases_media_advisories/2012/HUDNo.12-191. It also contains a link to the full report.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/997408#ixzz2Iljn2X1V

The mayor's report in the OP also shows homelessness among all veterans increasing, especially African Americans and women.

What is the truth?

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/997408#ixzz2IlijmHj4

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.