April 27, 2024, 02:50:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #504 7/31 - 8/3/2006  (Read 160594 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2006, 01:40:44 PM »

I've got work to do today, so I'll be mostly lurking.  If I don't answer a question right away, that's why  Wink
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »

Quote from: "Peaches"
It teachss her that she is not as "valuable" as a man or the man's needs.  

And don't get ME started.  I missed my Zoloft a couple days and I could go ballistic on this subject anyway.

uh...Peaches...I think I did it for you.  Now, it's your turn, dear.  Have at them.   Laughing

BRING NATALEE HOME
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2006, 01:41:33 PM »

[quote="AZLady]

You'll appreciate this, then.  I was furious when I read our college marketing department's new ad campaign.  

Maybe I'm just hypersensitive since I teach writing, but I really didn't like the "No essays" comment--too anti-writing, in my opinion.  Well, this is where marketing is taking us.[/quote]

I'd be upset about that, too.

Teaching people to write is teaching them how to think. I should tell you about my writing coach here some time. She started off her first session with our group by giving us logic problems. I was the only one who had ever seen one before.

Well, now I do gotta go ( Smile ) to the airport.
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »

Have a wonderful day with your niece, PV.

BRING NATALEE HOME
flyingmermaid
Monkey Junky

« Reply #324 on: August 01, 2006, 01:43:52 PM »

Flyingmermaid opinions -

Mel Gibson is a person, weak and vulnerable like the rest of us - with addiction issues to boot - not easy, despite all the money and fame in the world.

Young Girl Raped in Aruba - the saddest thing I have ever heard!  Her parents should be charged and she should be a ward of the court or state - it is a parents JOB to PROTECT their children.

Commercials on TV - The one where the girl lies to the guy about her cell phone service - why not just say I am not interested in dating you but there are prolly tons of girls out there who are.  Why Lie?

Last night I had to endure hours of coverage regarding Fidel Castro - He is a murderer and an animal!  If he dies I will prolly be subject to his funeral for days!  The price I pay for living in SOFL.

Some FM thoughts - my 3 cent!

Time spent with cats is never wasted. - Colette
flyingmermaid
Monkey Junky

« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2006, 01:46:26 PM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
Re. the 16-yr-old rape victim in Aruba, who’s family is not pressing charges … this sounds sooo much like where we were as late as the 1950s. A rape conviction rarely resulted, and the victim was victimized again. It isn’t exactly easy now, either.

(Please don’t bombard with “Cry Rape” stories; we all know that happens too.)

Aruba is clearly a patriarchal culture, and totally unaffected by contemporary women’s rights movements. I think that the social and political culture contributed enormously to what happened to Natalee.
[/b]

Greed and Calousness contributed to what happened to Natalee.

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2006, 01:49:13 PM »

Quote from: "Port Valerie"
[quote="AZLady]

You'll appreciate this, then.  I was furious when I read our college marketing department's new ad campaign.  

Maybe I'm just hypersensitive since I teach writing, but I really didn't like the "No essays" comment--too anti-writing, in my opinion.  Well, this is where marketing is taking us.

I'd be upset about that, too.

Teaching people to write is teaching them how to think. I should tell you about my writing coach here some time. She started off her first session with our group by giving us logic problems. I was the only one who had ever seen one before.

Well, now I do gotta go ( Smile ) to the airport.[/quote]

If they have to write an essay, it means spelling and grammar may be necessary.  As near as I can tell from the kids in my neighborhood, THAT could be a problem.   Don't start me up!!!  I have to go get tires on my car now.  What fun!

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »

Quote from: "AZLady"
Quote from: "Peaches"
It teachss her that she is not as "valuable" as a man or the man's needs.  

And don't get ME started.  I missed my Zoloft a couple days and I could go ballistic on this subject anyway.

uh...Peaches...I think I did it for you.  Now, it's your turn, dear.  Have at them.   Laughing

Separated at birth, I'm telling you!  Great job, AZ.  We are clearly on the same wave length once again.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #328 on: August 01, 2006, 01:50:29 PM »

Quote from: "flyingmermaid"
Flyingmermaid opinions -

Mel Gibson is a person, weak and vulnerable like the rest of us - with addiction issues to boot - not easy, despite all the money and fame in the world.
Young Girl Raped in Aruba - the saddest thing I have ever heard!  Her parents should be charged and she should be a ward of the court or state - it is a parents JOB to PROTECT their children.

Commercials on TV - The one where the girl lies to the guy about her cell phone service - why not just say I am not interested in dating you but there are prolly tons of girls out there who are.  Why Lie?

Last night I had to endure hours of coverage regarding Fidel Castro - He is a murderer and an animal!  If he dies I will prolly be subject to his funeral for days!  The price I pay for living in SOFL.

Some FM thoughts - my 3 cent!

Hey Sistah! Laughing

flyingmermaid
Monkey Junky

« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2006, 01:57:27 PM »

Hey Twinkletoes!

flyingmermaid
Monkey Junky

« Reply #330 on: August 01, 2006, 02:03:56 PM »

My boss just sent me this e mail:

MUST KNOW *677

I knew about the red light on cars, but not the *677.

It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on.  Lauren's parents have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc.

Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called 677 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and there weren't, so he told her to keep driving, remain calm, and that he had back up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew about the *677 Cell Phone feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe & quiet place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them ( i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call *677 like Lauren did.

Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally give you this little bit of wonderful information.

*Speaking to a service representative at **Bell** Mobility confirmed that *677 was a direct link to State Police Dispatch. So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about *677.

Send this to every person you know; it may save a life

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #331 on: August 01, 2006, 02:16:04 PM »

flyingmermaid - the *677 story is a hoax. You can read the exact message here:

http://tinyurl.com/mzwam

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »

However - if an unmarked car wants to pull you over, and you have a cell phone, you DO have the right, and good sense, to keep driving while calling 911.

If you don't have a cell phone, put your flashers on to acknowledge, and keep driving until you get to a public place (service station).

flyingmermaid
Monkey Junky

« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »

Thank you my well informed and eloquent friend!  You are wonderful!

robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »

www.ARUBAGATE.com

is back up Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

i will be doing more work on it when i get the time  Twisted Evil

Man is kind enough when he is not excited by religion.
- A Horse's Tale
robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2006, 02:34:09 PM »

i mean the person that owns the name will be doing some work on it when they get the time  Twisted Evil  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

- A Horse's Tale
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2006, 02:37:54 PM »

Thank you my well informed and eloquent friend!  You are wonderful!

Not so sure about "well-informed," but it sounded familiar - think I ran across this a few months ago. (Someone sent me the email.)

It may not have started as a hoax. I think *677 is a valid emergency number in Canada. I don't think you'll get anything in the US if you dial it. (Somebody with a cell phone on hand might try ... )

thirdstrike
Monkey Junky

« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »

Hello (again) everyone!!  Checking in to see how everyone is doing...Wink
flyingmermaid
Monkey Junky

« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2006, 03:00:25 PM »

Robots - that person who has that Arubagate site is sure doing a great job if you ever see them please thank them for me!

robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »

Robots - that person who has that Arubagate site is sure doing a great job if you ever see them please thank them for me!

i will be sure to tell them  Cool

- A Horse's Tale
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.