April 27, 2024, 05:34:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #504 7/31 - 8/3/2006  (Read 160612 times)
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #560 on: August 02, 2006, 11:39:09 AM »

Quote from: "Shizaru"
Quote from: "klaasend"
Quote from: "msmarple"
1-2-3 ... 1-2-3 ... waiting for Klaas to provide the suit amount info ...  Laughing

$300,000 was being tossed around.  I suspect that would include compensation for Joran which was denied at this time.

I'm going to go out a limb and make a rare non-pessimistic prediction.  I predict that Joran will be awarded nothing.  And if he is awarded anything it will be a small amount, much less than $30,000.  Even in Aruba the judge would need some sort of grounds to pay Joran compensation, and what would those grounds be?  Rammstein is saying on BFN that it will be a lot harder for Joran to argue that his arrest and detention was unjustified, because of all his lies.  That sounds right to me.

I think they should award Joran the $300,000.

When he goes to pick up the check they can say, oh, we lied too.  

There is no award.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2006, 11:40:42 AM »

I sincerely hope this is the first move on Aruba's part to some sort of action on the case.  Either file charges and go to trial against the three perps or close this case for lack of evidence.  Then, the FBI can go into action.  That's the only way justice will be served.

BRING NATALEE HOME
the big hammer
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #562 on: August 02, 2006, 11:44:13 AM »

JVDS = Suspect: How can he sue for damages?

Isn't his current status as "Suspect"?

How can he possibly sue for damages; that's preposterous.  pvds actually prevailed in hearing and was named "not a suspect" and this had to pave the way for the measly award.

But jvds has not been officially declared "not a suspect."  Either have kalpoe's.

BTW, on what basis does pvds win anything at all?  Was there a "procedural error" which resulted in "wrongful arrest".  Does anyone have actual legal basis for his action and the legal reasoning providing justification for $28,000 award?
Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #563 on: August 02, 2006, 11:46:28 AM »

1-2-3 ... 1-2-3 ... waiting for Klaas to provide the suit amount info ...  Laughing

$300,000 was being tossed around.  I suspect that would include compensation for Joran which was denied at this time.

I'm thinking that the larger amount included the rest of his family and thus far, they have only ruled on Paulus's amount.  More monetary awards to be decided I believe.
thirdstrike
Monkey Junky

« Reply #564 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:36 AM »

Quote from: "Bearlyhere"

I'm going to go out a limb and make a rare non-pessimistic prediction.  I predict that Joran will be awarded nothing.  And if he is awarded anything it will be a small amount, much less than $30,000.  Even in Aruba the judge would need some sort of grounds to pay Joran compensation, and what would those grounds be?  Rammstein is saying on BFN that it will be a lot harder for Joran to argue that his arrest and detention was unjustified, because of all his lies.  That sounds right to me.

I think they should award Joran the $300,000.

When he goes to pick up the check they can say, oh, we lied too.  

There is no award.

The only "award" this guy should get is a pair of iron bracelets (w/matching iron chain)...a 25 year (to life, of course) all inclusive stay at the beautiful "Prison de Aruba"...and a lifetime supply of soap without the attached rope for his showering pleasure... Rolling Eyes

Makes you angry to even think for a second he could benefit financially for his murdering misdeeds...
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2006, 11:48:51 AM »

Quote from: "the big hammer"

How can he possibly sue for damages; that's preposterous.  pvds actually prevailed in hearing and was named "not a suspect" and this had to pave the way for the measly award.

But jvds has not been officially declared "not a suspect."  Either have kalpoe's.

BTW, on what basis does pvds win anything at all?  Was there a "procedural error" which resulted in "wrongful arrest".  Does anyone have actual legal basis for his action and the legal reasoning providing justification for $28,000 award?

That is correct Hammer - all but PVDS are still suspects and how can suspects sue for damages?
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »

Let's try to look at the good part of the judges ruling:More from MF and FOB:
Just posted.

Supreme Court in Curacao finds that Paulus's detention was unjust and the government must pay damages over Afls. 50.000,-. These damages must be paid to Mr. Paul v/d Sloot. However the Court only decided on compensation to Mr. Paul v/d Sloot and did not decide yet on whether the complete family should be awarded too. This decision is still pending.

The judge said that this case regarding damages to the family is comletely different to the case against Joran. Lawyers for v/d Sloot used a letter send by the Prosecutor in which they state that they have no case or investigation against Paulus v/d Sloot.

In this case, Paulus v/d Sloot was immediately prohibited to enter the court house since the investigation began. And Judges were flown in for different hearings, all this to show imparciality and avoid any speculation that Paulus v/s Sloot was getting a different treatment. Later in the case, he was also detained for interrogations, but his lawyer came with valid point that give him back his freedom. However that time, the American media, came with all sort of information in this case, that his reputation was tainted and could not continue his work.

So Paulus has won a maximum of $28,000, however, nothing for Joran because his case is COMPLETELY different...that is good news.

BUT......some of us have aready read the rumour (WHICH I HOPE IS SUCH) that Joran got his 26K.....is that not true?? I think I may move to Aruba if I wish to commit what most normal humans call a crime......

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
thirdstrike
Monkey Junky

« Reply #567 on: August 02, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »

Quote from: "the big hammer"

That is correct Hammer - all but PVDS are still suspects and how can suspects sue for damages?

But, you have to remember...it's Aruba we're talking about here.  Dogs meow...and cats bark.  The grass is blue, and the sky is green.  The logical is made to seem illogical over here.  Doesn't suprise me in the least bit...and that's tragic!  Rolling Eyes
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #568 on: August 02, 2006, 11:52:30 AM »

But what would the compensation be for?

Joran is going to get compensated for loss of income?
Damage to his professional reputation?

The sack of lies is in college in Holland -- vacationing and at parties in Aruba -- and apparently has a fresh crop of potential victims.

If anything, Aruba should pay him for making the rape of females on the island an even more acceptable sport.  We've seen that again recently.

Come on....this is all a sick joke, right? I'm still waiting for the guy to jump out and tell us "you've been punked".

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #569 on: August 02, 2006, 11:57:54 AM »

Quote from: the big hammer

BTW, on what basis does pvds win anything at all?  Was there a "procedural error" which resulted in "wrongful arrest".  Does anyone have actual legal basis for his action and the legal reasoning providing justification for $28,000 award?quote]

Hammer, bolded paragraph is exactly what I was asking on the previous page.  Makes you wonder, indeed.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #570 on: August 02, 2006, 12:02:14 PM »

Morning monks... I'm pixxed too.  Everyone is talking about 28k US but that's not how I read it.. I read it as "at least" that much.  Here's the quote from MF:

Supreme Court in Curacao finds that Paulus's detention was unjust and the government must pay damages over Afls. 50.000,-.

To me that means it could be 100k, 500k, 40k... but OVER 28k.  Thoughts?
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #571 on: August 02, 2006, 12:03:33 PM »

I don't have my notes here (at work), but wasn't PVDS picked up because he stated two different pickup times at MacDonald's -- 11:00 pm and 3:00 am -- on two different occasions?

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »

Quote from: "Frijole"
Morning monks... I'm pixxed too.  Everyone is talking about 28k US but that's not how I read it.. I read it as "at least" that much.  Here's the quote from MF:

Supreme Court in Curacao finds that Paulus's detention was unjust and the government must pay damages over Afls. 50.000,-.

It's been explained further by MF that 50,000 AFLS = $28,000 US dollars.  MF is also saying that the award of $28,000 is the maximum PVDS can be awarded.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2006, 12:07:04 PM »

It's been explained further by MF that 50,000 AFLS = $28,000 US dollars.  MF is also saying that the award of $28,000 is the maximum PVDS can be awarded.

Oh thank GOD - I was thinking that was Aruba's way of giving a high dollar reward but making it sound like less.
blah
Monkey Junky

« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2006, 12:07:30 PM »

Quote from: "AZLady"
I sincerely hope this is the first move on Aruba's part to some sort of action on the case.  Either file charges and go to trial against the three perps or close this case for lack of evidence.  Then, the FBI can go into action.  That's the only way justice will be served.

I have seen this said before but was wondering if this is a confirmed fact?  How do we know this is even true?

thanks.
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #575 on: August 02, 2006, 12:10:37 PM »

Quote from: "thirdstrike"

The only "award" this guy should get is a pair of iron bracelets (w/matching iron chain)...a 25 year (to life, of course) all inclusive stay at the beautiful "Prison de Aruba"...and a lifetime supply of soap without the attached rope for his showering pleasure... Rolling Eyes

Makes you angry to even think for a second he could benefit financially for his murdering misdeeds...

How about a nice heavy cannon ball on those iron bracelets and a good ole swim in the ocean?

I just have to tell myself that He and his sicko family will get their come-upance one day.

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
blah
Monkey Junky

« Reply #576 on: August 02, 2006, 12:10:44 PM »

Quote from: the big hammer

BTW, on what basis does pvds win anything at all?  Was there a "procedural error" which resulted in "wrongful arrest".  Does anyone have actual legal basis for his action and the legal reasoning providing justification for $28,000 award?[/quote]

those things do not matter nor do they even exist in Aruba.  They just seem to make deals with each other behind the scenes, no REAL system at all.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #577 on: August 02, 2006, 12:12:44 PM »

Quote from: "blah"
Quote from: "AZLady"

I have seen this said before but was wondering if this is a confirmed fact?  How do we know this is even true?

thanks.

I wonder about that too, Blah.

I also recall them saying when they close the case they will turn over all of the evidence and police reports to the family.

I think that's horse hockey.

Shizaru
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #578 on: August 02, 2006, 12:14:15 PM »

Where is MF getting this anyway, is it in the papers down there?
blah
Monkey Junky

« Reply #579 on: August 02, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

I don't have my notes here (at work), but wasn't PVDS picked up because he stated two different pickup times at MacDonald's -- 11:00 pm and 3:00 am -- on two different occasions?

yes, but lying to the police is ok in aruba.  Hell, they'll even pay you to do it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.