March 29, 2024, 05:30:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Storm NEMO Hits Northeast and New England ... 3 ft of Snow  (Read 4910 times)
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« on: February 09, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »

Snowmageddon Hits Northeast … Nemo Dumps Near Record Snow Amounts in Boston … More Than 3 Ft of Snow in CT … 650,000 Without Power .. Record Snowfall in Portland, ME … Sea Walls Threatened in NH

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2013/02/09/snowmageddon-hits-northeast-nemo-dumps-near-record-snow-amounts-in-boston-more-than-3-ft-of-snow-in-ct-650000-without-power/

Yesterday Nemo blasted New York and New Jersey, overnight it set its force upon the Northeast.

NEMOGEDDON … The massive snow storm with hurricane-force wind gusts and blizzard conditions has hit the Northeast overnight. Nemo has left more than 650,000 homes and businesses without power and has made many roads  impassable as New Englanders are waking up to two and three feet of snow and snow drifts up to six or even feet. Coastal areas are also dealing with potential flooding. There are travel bans in Connecticut Rhode Island and Boston, Massachusetts. Travel bans have also been called for on Long Island, NY.  Thousands of flights have been canceled between Logan International in Boston, MA, Bradley International in Hartford, CT, JFK International and LaGuardia in NY and Newark International in NJ. Some have wondered whether this storm could top Boston’s all-time single-storm snowfall record of 27.6 inches, set in 2003. I remember that one very well.

A special hope all is well to our Northeast and Nee England Monkeys.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »

WOW!!!

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »

Massachusetts evacuates parts of state after deadly storm drops more than 2 feet of snow on Northeast
Published February 09, 2013

A howling storm across the Northeast left the New York-to-Boston corridor shrouded in 1 to 3 feet of snow Saturday, stranding motorists on highways overnight and piling up drifts so high that some homeowners couldn’t get their doors open. More than 650,000 homes and businesses were left without electricity.

Due to rising tides in Massachusetts, authorities are enforcing mandatory evacuations in the area of Salisbury Beach Saturday morning.

Authorities are going door-to-door asking residents of that area to evacuate. Massachusetts State Police are assisting the National Guard in the evacuations.

At least seven deaths were blamed on the storm, including three in Canada.

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2013/02/09/snowstorm-slams-boston-new-york-city-as-residents-are-urged-to-stay-off-roads/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »

I feel cold just reading this thread!  I hope for the best possible outcome for everyone affected by the Nemo. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »

New England begins the big dig-out after epic snow
February 9, 2013

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — New Englanders began the back-breaking job of digging out from as much as 3 feet of snow Saturday and emergency crews used snowmobiles to reach shivering motorists stranded overnight on New York’s Long Island after a howling storm swept through the Northeast.

About 650,000 homes and businesses were left without electricity, and some could be cold and dark for days. Roads across the New York-to-Boston corridor of roughly 25 million people were impassable. Cars were entombed by drifts. Some people found the wet, heavy snow packed so high against their homes they couldn’t get their doors open.

<snipped>

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Northeast-begins-digging-out-after-snowstorm-4264910.php

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »

Boy, 11, is Boston's first blizzard death
February 9, 2013

An 11-year-old boy who was keeping warm in his family car while shoveling with his dad died of carbon monoxide poisoning today, fire officials said.

The boy and his dad were shoveling out their car on Nazing Street off Blue Hill Avenue around 11:30 a.m. when the boy got into the vehicle to warm up.

“The boy was getting cold so they cleared out the passenger side and the boy got inside to stay warm,” Boston fire spokesman Stephen MacDonald said.

The rear-end of the car was packed into a snowbank and the exhaust apparently backed up into the car, overcoming the boy.

Two neighbors performed CPR on the boy, whose name was not released, and were able to temporarily revive his breathing. Firefighters and paramedics continued CPR as the boy was transported to Boston Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead a short time ago, MacDonald said.

The boy’s father also suffered a heart attack and was at BMC being treated.

<snipped>

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/02/boy_12_bostons_first_blizzard_death

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »

Two die in carbon monoxide poisoning incidents in Boston; police urge caution when digging cars out of snow
02/09/2013 8:43 PM

Boston police have issued a safety alert, warning residents about the need to shovel snow away from a car’s exhaust pipe before starting a car after three incidents that left two people dead and two young children injured as residents dug out from the Blizzard of 2013.

A 14-year-old boy suffered fatal carbon monoxide poisoning on Nazing Street this morning when he went inside a running car to keep warm while his father shoveled, police spokesman Cheryl Fiandaca said.

In the second incident, on Woolson Street in Mattapan this afternoon, a man was found dead inside a car with a tailpipe that investigators believe was blocked by snow, allowing buildup of the deadly gas, she said.

In the third incident, a brother and sister, ­ages 4 and 7, were found unconscious shortly before 5 p.m. inside a car at 156 Porter St. in East Boston, where they were trying to keep warm. They were rushed to a hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Police said the children are expected to survive.

<snipped>

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/02/09/boston-boy-dies-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-after-shoveling-out-from-blizzard/jTgqG3MSPPRMy7CrIB7fbM/story.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »

THE AFTERMATH

Northeast begins dig-out after deadly snowstorm, thousands without power
Published February 10, 2013

PROVIDENCE, R.I. –  Emergency crews and residents struggled to clear roadways and sidewalks from a storm that rampaged through the Northeast, dumping up to 3 feet of snow and bringing howling winds that knocked out power to hundreds of thousands.

Municipal workers from New York to Boston labored through the night into Sunday in snow-bound communities, where some motorists had to be rescued after spending hours stuck in wet, heavy snow. President Barack Obama declared a state of emergency for Connecticut, allowing federal aid to be used in recovery, and utilities in some hard-hit New England states predicted that the storm could leave some customers in the dark for days.

About 345,000 homes and businesses were without power Sunday morning, down from a peak of about 650,000. ...

At least 11 deaths in the U.S. were blamed on the snowstorm, including an 11-year-old boy in Boston who was overcome by carbon monoxide as he sat in a running car to keep warm while his father shoveled Saturday morning. That death and the illnesses of several others exposed to carbon monoxide set off a flurry of safety warnings from public officials.

Roads across the Northeast were impassable and cars were entombed by snow drifts on Saturday. Some people found the snow packed so high against their homes they couldn't get their doors open.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2013/02/10/snowstorm-slams-boston-new-york-city-as-residents-are-urged-to-stay-off-roads/

_____

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »

Just got plowed out we got 36" and drifts up to 5' hubby is on the roof because were afraid it's going to cave in 

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »

We didn't loose power THANK GOD..

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »

WOW Blonde!  That's a bunch of snow!  So glad you didn't lose power!
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

This is our road

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »

This is our road

A road?  Where?

Your hubby is on the roof!!  Tell him to get down this minute!!

Last week my hubby lost his footing while on a ladder carrying down the Christmas lights.  Thankfully the fall was only a few feet from the ground and he was able to jump.  Not injuried.  Nevertheless ... I was angry.  We have a son, SIL and nephew in the area who are more than willing to climb up on that roof if necessary.  Hubby claims he doesn't want to bother them.  I told him it would be a lot more of a bother for the kids if he had been injured.  He doesn't get it.  We are getting older and some jobs require delegation.

Blonde ... I know the snow can cause problems but ... the scene looks beautiful in the images you posted ... beautiful if you are sitting inside a warm home with a cuppa tea.

Janet

_____

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »

This is before it got real bad

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.