March 28, 2024, 08:49:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Benedict RESIGNING  (Read 162590 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:36 AM »

http://bostonglobe.com/news/world/2013/03/09/sistine-chapel-prepared-for-conclave-select-successor-pope-benedict-xvi/7sTy8vymAh4hCi4tMV7eOP/story.html

Vatican gives inside look at conclave preparations
March 09, 2013

::snipping2::
The Vatican just released a conclave schedule for the English-speaking press. The action will begin at 4:30 p.m. local time (11:30 a.m. Boston time) on Tuesday, when the cardinals process from the Pauline Chapel to the Sistine Chapel. At 4:45 p.m., each cardinal will swear an oath of secrecy, and the voting may begin.

Assuming no pope is elected on the first ballot, the cardinals will hold a 15-minute vespers service in the chapel at 7:15 p.m. and then return to the Vatican hotel where they are staying during the conclave, Sanctae Marthae, to eat dinner and sleep. They are not allowed access to the outside world during the conclave, which is meant to ensure the integrity and independence of the vote.

In the days following, the cardinals will have breakfast between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m., celebrate Mass in the Pauline Chapel, and then at 9:30 a.m. return to the Sistine Chapel to pray and vote. They take a lengthy lunch break from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m., then begin a second round of voting before breaking for the night at 7:30 p.m.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »

The daily press briefing by Fr. Federico Lombardi, Monday, March 11, 2013

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/03/11/final_press_briefing:_cardinals_hold_last_general_congregation/en1-672308

2013-03-11 16:01:40     
Final Press Briefing: Cardinals hold last General Congregation

The Holy See Press Office on Monday held its last briefing before the Conclave. The briefing happened after the 10th and final General Congregation of the Cardinals, in which 152 Cardinals participated. The head of the Holy See Press Office Father Federico Lombardi, SJ, confirmed the Cardinals heard a report on the Institute for the Works of Religion (IOR), more commonly known as the Vatican Bank. The Cardinals also spoke about their expectations and hopes for the new Pope.

They also chose the three assistants, from each class of Cardinals, who will help during the first days of the Conclave: Cardinal Antonios Naguib for the Cardinal-Bishops, Cardinal Marc Ouellet for the Cardinal-Priests, and Cardinal Francesco Monterisi for the Cardinal-Deacons.
The press officer said, judging by previous conclaves, if a ballot is held on Tuesday, the first smoke would probably not be seen until around 8pm.

Reporters were also reminded of a small change after a Pope is elected: Before appearing on the Central Loggia, he will pray, by himself, in the Pauline Chapel.

It was confirmed that Archbishop Georg Gänswein, the personal secretary of Pope-emeritus Benedict XVI, will proceed with the Cardinals before the Conclave, in his role as Prefect of the Pontifical Household.

It was also clarified that the Mass of the Inauguration of the Pope does not have to take place on a Sunday, but will take place at least a few days after the election, so everything can be organized.
There will be no press briefing on Tuesday.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/opinions/x2070320787/JP-Grace-Heres-the-process-for-selecting-a-pope

JP Grace: Here's the process for selecting a pope
March 11, 2013 @ 09:55 PM

In this period of "sede vacante" (vacant chair) at the Vatican after the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, perhaps a quick question-and-answer look at the process would be helpful.

Q: Why does the Catholic church call its main leader a "pope?" What's the meaning of that word?

A: "Pope" comes from the Latin "papa," which, just as in English, means "father." That is why the pope is referred to as "the Holy Father." A pope then is the "papa" of the church's human family.

Q: If the Catholic church is Christian, as it says it is, wouldn't Christ himself be "the head of the church?"

A: Catholic doctrine agrees with that position. And thus the pope is also referred to as "the vicar of Christ," his emissary in the world. His role is to listen prayerfully to God and be obedient to the graces He receives to govern the church.

Q: If the church considers that St. Peter was the first pope, how many popes have there been in the 20-plus centuries since Jesus' time?

A: Though some periods of papal history can be a bit fuzzy -- for instance, in the 13th century there was a time when three different men claimed to be pope -- the most frequently cited number given is 265.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2013, 02:08:45 AM »

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130312/NEWS/303120024/Conclave-likely-won-t-make-pick-today

Conclave likely won't make pick today
Just one voting session scheduled at Vatican
Mar 12, 2013

ROME — Although the conclave to select the next pope begins today, no one is expecting drama on the first day.

For starters, there’s only one voting session, set for around noon (5 p.m. local time). That’s compared to four ballots per day come Wednesday.

“You can expect black smoke,” said Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi, drawing his confidence from a long history of day-one duds. “The first conclave vote rarely has a positive result.”

But what to the outside world may look like a wasted day is actually to the 115 voting cardinals a critical steppingstone toward selecting a leader for the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics.

“This first day is important because it establishes the spiritual aspects of the conclave,” says Matthew Bunson, a religious scholar and author of “We Have a Pope! Benedict XVI.” “That happens through the procession into the Sistine Chapel and the constant prayers asking for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.”

But perhaps more significantly, it clues cardinals in to who’s trending.

“They learn from that first vote who the leading contenders are and what level of backing they have,” says Bunson, noting that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger’s strong support at the outset of 2005’s conclave led to him becoming Pope Benedict in just four ballots.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2013, 01:01:37 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iQfjjH5-AZPNaHz0bV5JjlQiSZ0Q?docId=CNG.eab94a2c1e3cc3026f70142302647ef7.681

Live Report: Papal conclave begins
(AFP) – 9 minutes ago 

1636 GMT: As rain pours down, the eyes of spectators turn to the chimney, where a smoke signal will emerge after each of the four votes that will take place every day.

Now, two masters of ceremonies will be distributing voting papers to the cardinal electors, each inscribed at the top with the words "Eligo in Summum Pontificem" ("I elect as supreme pontiff") with a blank space underneath.

Lots will be drawn to select nine cardinals as "scrutineers" who count the votes, "infirmarii" who collect votes from any cardinals who fall ill, and "revisers" who check the vote counts.

1634 GMT: THE SISTINE CHAPEL'S DOORS SWING SHUT: CONCLAVE OFFICIALLY BEGINS

1633 GMT: The ceremony of oaths concludes, with the famous shout of "Extra omnes": "Everyone out".

Only the 115 cardinal electors remain inside the Sistine Chapel.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2013, 02:55:38 PM »

Black smoke from chimney from Vatican--No pope, yet!

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iQfjjH5-AZPNaHz0bV5JjlQiSZ0Q?docId=CNG.eab94a2c1e3cc3026f70142302647ef7.681

Live Report: Papal conclave begins
(AFP) – 4 minutes ago 

1842 GMT: BLACK SMOKE FROM SISTINE CHAPEL -- NO POPE CHOSEN
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/12/black-smoke-appeared-at-sistine-chapel-chimney-live-stream_n_2861974.html

Black Smoke Appeared At Sistine Chapel Chimney (LIVE STREAM)
Posted: 03/12/2013 2:47 pm EDT  |  Updated: 03/12/2013 2:53 pm EDT

With a puff of black smoke from the Sistine Chapel chimney on Tuesday afternoon, the Roman Catholic Church's College of Cardinals signaled that that's they haven't decided on the new pope.

The smoke appeared at 2:42 p.m. U.S. Eastern time.

The church's 115 cardinals will meet again Wednesday morning to vote again on the new pope. A cardinal needs at least 77 votes to become pope.

Aside from the voting Tuesday, there will be up to four votes per day until a pope is elected. On Wednesday and following days, the cardinals will have up to two votes before prayer and lunch at 12:30 p.m., and up to two votes at 4 p.m. before prayer at 7:15 p.m.

Depending on when the winning vote is taken, white smoke will arise from the Sistine Chapel at 10:30 a.m., noon, 5:30 p.m. or 7 p.m. If no pope was elected, black smoke will arise from the chapel's chimney at noon and 7 p.m. (U.S. Eastern times). The new pope has to accept the position before white smoke is released, and if smoke is released at night, the Sistine Chapel chimney will be lit up so onlookers can see it.

If there's no election by Friday, cardinals will pause on Saturday for a day of reflection and prayer. The voting would continue in that pattern (three days of voting with a one-day break) until the 34th voting round. Then there would be a runoff between the top two candidates.

When a pope is chosen and white smoke rises from the chapel, the bells of St. Peter's Basilica will ring, as they did in 2005 when Benedict was elected. It took about 40 minutes between the white smoke and official announcement in 2005 when Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI was elected.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »

Eldest son and French Canadian wife meet with an Evangelical congregation in Victoria, BC but DIL's Conservative parents in Quebec are straunch Catholics.  I received an email from them on the weekend.  They are praying that God raises up either Canadian Marc Quellet and American Timothy Dolan as the next Pope.  It is their position that both do not compromise Biblical doctrine.  When all is said and done ... this devote couple will bow to God's Will.

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »

Eldest son and French Canadian wife meet with an Evangelical congregation in Victoria, BC but DIL's Conservative parents in Quebec are straunch Catholics.  I received an email from them on the weekend.  They are praying that God raises up either Canadian Marc Quellet and American Timothy Dolan as the next Pope.  It is their position that both do not compromise Biblical doctrine.  When all is said and done ... this devote couple will bow to God's Will.

It's good to hear that they are praying for the next Pope and are devout Catholics, Janet.  It will be interesting, and maybe a surprise, when the new Pope is elected!
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/12/catholic-cardinals-head-to-conclave-to-elect-new-pope/

Black smoke indicates no pope elected on first day of conclave in Rome
Published March 12, 2013

A plume of black smoke billowed from the Vatican on Tuesday, indicating cardinals have not yet chosen a successor for Pope Benedict XVI on the first day of conclave.

The cardinals now return to the Vatican's Santa Marta hotel for the night. They return to the Apostolic Palace for Mass Wednesday morning and a new round of voting.

Beginning Wednesday, the cardinals will cast four ballots a day – twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon
Read more...
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

Eldest son and French Canadian wife meet with an Evangelical congregation in Victoria, BC but DIL's Conservative parents in Quebec are straunch Catholics.  I received an email from them on the weekend.  They are praying that God raises up either Canadian Marc Quellet or  American Timothy Dolan as the next Pope.  It is their position that both do not compromise Biblical doctrine.  When all is said and done ... this devote couple will bow and accept God's Will.

Cardinal Ouellet's tiny hometown besieged by journalists as conclave begins
March 12, 2013 3:10 PM

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/new-era-for-the-vatican/index.html/Cardinals+gather+begin+secret+voting+successor+Pope/8082264/story.html

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »

It's good to hear that they are praying for the next Pope and are devout Catholics, Janet.  It will be interesting, and maybe a surprise, when the new Pope is elected!

Grace

My eldest son's inlaws are "presenting their requests" in prayer to God as Scripture commands but they are aware that our Heavenly Father knows what is best for His children and the answer to their pleas may be denied.

Janet

++++++

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God

_____

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »

http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/2013/03/in-pre-conclave-sermon-cardinal-sodano-calls-for-unity/

In pre-conclave sermon, Cardinal Sodano calls for unity
By Francis X. Rocca
Posted on March 12, 2013

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Hours before the start of the conclave that will choose the next pope, the dean of the College of Cardinals celebrated the papacy as a source of unity among Catholics and of evangelization and charitable service to the world.

Christ “has established his apostles and among them Peter, who takes the lead, as the visible foundation of the unity of the church,” Cardinal Angelo Sodano said in his homily at St. Peter’s Basilica March 12. “Each of us is therefore called to cooperate with the successor of Peter, the visible foundation of such an ecclesial unity.”

Cardinal Sodano, 85, concelebrated the Mass “Pro Eligendo Romano Pontifice” (for the election of the Roman pontiff) with some 170 other cardinals, including 115 under 80 who would be entering the conclave in the Sistine Chapel that afternoon.

At the start of the Mass, as a choir and the congregation chanted verses from the psalms, the cardinals processed up the main aisle of the basilica, wearing vestments in the red of Pentecost, signifying their invocation of the Holy Spirit to guide the papal election.

Cardinal Sodano’s homily included words of thanks for the “brilliant pontificate” of Pope Benedict XVI, which prompted more than 30 seconds of applause.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »

http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=22129

Text: Cardinal Sodano at Mass before Conclave
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:56 am

Cardinal Angelo Sodano gave the following homily this morning at the Mass for the Election of a Roman Pontiff, concelebrated by the Cardinals before the enter the Conclave today.

Below is a translation of the Homily given by Cardinal Angelo Sodono

Dear Concelebrants, Distinct Authorities, Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

“Forever I will sing the mercies of the Lord” is the hymn that resounds once again near the tomb of the Apostle Peter in this important hour of the history of the Holy Church of Christ. These are the words of Psalm 88 that have flowed from our lips to adore, give thanks and beg the Father who is in heaven.

“Misericordias Domini in aeternum cantabo”: is the beautiful Latin text that has introduced us into contemplation of the One who always watches over his Church with love, sustaining her on her journey down through the ages, and giving her life through his Holy Spirit.

Such an interior attitude is ours today as we wish to offer ourselves with Christ to the Father who is in heaven, to thank him for the loving assistance that he always reserves for the Holy Church, and in particular for the brilliant Pontificate that he granted to us through the life and work of the 265th Successor of Peter, the beloved and venerable Pontiff Benedict XVI, to whom we renew in this moment all of our gratitude.

At the same time today, we implore the Lord, that through the pastoral sollicitude of the Cardinal Fathers, He may soon grant another Good Shepherd to his Holy Church. In this hour, faith in the promise of Christ sustains us in the indefectible character of the church. Indeed Jesus said to Peter: “You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against her.” (Mt. 16:18).

My brothers, the readings of the World of God that we have just heard can help us better understand the mission that Christ has entrusted to Peter and to his successors.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »

Papal conclave: Second day of voting is make-or-break day for cardinals
Published on Tue Mar 12 2013

<snipped>

The first ballot on Tuesday produced the expected black smoke, the signal that none of the candidates had reached the 77 votes needed to win.

Italy’s leading newspapers on Tuesday put Quebec’s Cardinal Marc Ouellet among the top three or four front-runners. He was placed third by La Stampa’s Andrea Tornielli, the respected journalist whose insider knowledge of pre-conclave discussions led the Vatican to clamp down on cardinals talking to the press.

Ahead of Ouellet, if reports are accurate, are Italy’s Angelo Scola, a protégé of the now-retired Benedict’s, and Brazil’s Odilo Scherer, who is backed by top prelates in the Vatican bureaucracy.

Ouellet, 68, is a staunch conservative and another Benedict favourite. His chances seem to depend on cardinals looking for an alternative if Scola or Scherer can’t break clear.

<snipped>

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/pope/2013/03/12/papal_conclave_will_cardinal_marc_ouellet_become_the_next_pope_too_early_to_tell_as_cardinals_begin_long_journey.html

_____

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/black-smoke-at-sistine-chapel-indicates-no-pope_n_2865317.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Black Smoke At Sistine Chapel: No Pope Elected
Posted: 03/13/2013 6:44 am EDT  |  Updated: 03/13/2013 7:00 am EDT

With a puff of black smoke from the Sistine Chapel chimney on Wednesday morning in Rome, the Catholic Church's College of Cardinals signaled they haven't decided on the new pope after two rounds of voting on Wednesday, the second day of the papal conclave.

The smoke appeared at 6:39 a.m. EDT (11:39 a.m. CET).

The Church's 115 cardinals will meet again Wednesday afternoon to vote on the new pope. A cardinal needs at least 77 votes to become pope. There will be up to four votes per day until a pope is elected.

Depending on when the winning vote is taken, white smoke will arise from the Sistine Chapel at 5:30 a.m. EDT (10:30 a.m. CET), 7 a.m. EDT (12 p.m. CET), 12:30 p.m. EDT (5:30 p.m. CET) or 2 p.m. EDT (7 p.m. CET). If no pope was elected, black smoke will arise from the chapel's chimney at 7 a.m. EDT (12 p.m. CET) and 2 p.m. EDT (7 p.m. CET). All times are estimates based on prior papal elections and predictions from the Vatican. Actual times can vary.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »

White smoke from Vatican!  We have a Pope!

Bells are ringing!
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/white-smoke-at-sistine-chapel-indicates-pope-election_n_2866095.html

White Smoke At Sistine Chapel Indicates Pope Election
Posted: 03/13/2013 2:10 pm EDT

White smoke appeared at the Sistine Chapel chimney on Wednesday afternoon indicating that a pope has been elected and has accepted the position. According to Catholic tradition, the newly appointed Bishop of Rome is the 266th successor of St. Peter and leader of the worldwide Catholic Church consisting of 1.2 billion Catholics.

The white smoke appeared at 7:05 p.m. CET (2:05 p.m. EDT / 11:05 a.m. PDT) time after five rounds of voting. In 2005, Benedict XVI was elected on the second day after four rounds of voting.

Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, former president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, will appear on the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica to shout "Habemus Papam!" ("We have a pope!). He'll present the new pope, who will be in white papal cassocks (three sizes are kept on reserve) and give his first blessing as pope.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »

New pope chosen: White smoke billows from Sistine Chapel chimney
Published Wednesday, Mar. 13, 2013 5:50AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, Mar. 13, 2013 2:19PM EDT

The Catholic church has elected a new pope.

White smoke is billowing from the Sistine Chapel chimney in St. Peter's Square, indicating a new spiritual leader has been chosen for the world's 1.2 billion Catholics.

It's not yet clear who the new pope is. But he is expected to appear on the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica within the hour before many faithful waiting to witness the first new pontiff in eight years.

<snipped>

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/new-pope-chosen-white-smoke-billows-from-sistine-chapel-chimney-1.1193437

_____

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.