March 28, 2024, 03:32:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius, is accused of shooting his girlfriend to death.  (Read 88192 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/07/world/africa/pistorius-steenkamp-family/?google_editors_picks=true
Uncle: Victim's family won't attend Oscar Pistorius' trial
March 7, 2013

Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 10:32:33 AM »

The Definition of Entitlement

Pistorius challenges bail conditions, including travel ban and drug testing Add to ...
JOHANNESBURG — Reuters
Published Friday, Mar. 08 2013, 1:09 PM EST
Last updated Friday, Mar. 08 2013, 8:31 PM EST

Lawyers acting for “blade runner” Oscar Pistorius, accused of shooting dead his girlfriend, want his bail conditions relaxed and passports returned so he can travel overseas, South African media reported on Friday.

Pistorius, charged with the Valentine’s Day murder of his Reeva Steenkamp, 29, was released on strict bail conditions two weeks ago. He was ordered to pay a bond of one million rand ($110,000 U.S.), hand over his passports and forbidden from returning to his house, the scene of the crime.

<snipped>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/pistorius-challenges-bail-conditions-including-travel-ban-and-drug-testing-bail/article9519162/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »

Reeva's family mulling civil suit against Pistorius
2013-03-09 05:10:49
March 09, 2013

<snipped>

Attorney Mike Venter said a civil claim was being considered against the Paralympian, who is charged with murdering Steenkamp in the early hours of Valentine’s Day.

A source close to the family said no decision had yet been taken. Pistorius (26), who has admitted to firing at Reeva through a locked bathroom door at his Pretoria home mistaking her to be an intruder, was granted bail last month and will return to court in June.

http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2013/mar/090313-sports-reevas-family-mulling-civil-suit-against-pistorius.htm

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 10:44:31 AM »

Pistorius family feuds over father's gun comments
Last Updated: Mar 5, 2013

The family of Oscar Pistorius, the double-amputee Olympian charged with murdering his girlfriend, is feuding publicly over whether guns are a necessary protection against crime in South Africa.

British newspapers quoted Pistorius' father, Henke Pistorius, as saying the family owns handguns for self-defence and suggesting that South Africa's government shares blame for "white crime levels" in the country where police register more than 15,000 murders per year.

In a statement Tuesday quoting the runner's uncle, Arnold Pistorius, the family subsequently distanced itself from the father's comments.

<snipped>

His uncle, who has acted as the family spokesman following Steenkamp's killing, said in the statement that "the Pistorius family own weapons purely for sport and hunting purposes."

That contradicts Oscar Pistorius' testimony to the magistrate who freed him on bail.

In an affidavit, the athlete known as "Blade Runner" for his carbon-fibre prosthetic running legs said he owned the 9 mm handgun and slept with it under his bed because "I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before."

<snipped>

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2013/03/05/sp-paralympics-oscar-pistorius.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »

Not everyone surprised at Oscar Pistorius' fall from grace
March 7, 2013

<snipped>

The South African media has long adored Pistorius, some would say even protected him, by minimizing his problems. Yet, some of his friends and colleagues have cast doubt on the idyllic image of Pistorius portrayed by the press.

"It's like we were waiting for something like this to happen," said Marc Batchelor, a South African soccer player who socialized with Pistorius in South Africa's glamor and sports circles.

Batchelor described Pistorius as someone who "had a trip switch," quick to get angry and fight. Pistorius caused "a lot of problems," he said.

Batchelor said Pistorius once wanted to fight him because the track star thought his girlfriend was cheating on him. Pistorius, who Batchelor described as drunk, started yelling and swearing over the phone.

"He said he's not scared. If I want to come down there, he knows where I am, and blah blah blah. But I left it," Batchelor told CNN.

One thing many people don't know, Batchelor said, is that Pistorius was armed nearly everywhere he went. He even applied to become a licensed gun collector so he could buy more guns than the four that South Africans are allowed, according to Carvel Webb, chairman of an umbrella organization for South Africa's private gun collectors, including Pistorius.

Just last January -- though the facts are in dispute -- Pistorius' friend and boxer Kevin Lerena said the track star was holding a gun at an outdoor café when it went off. Lerena said Pistorius was showing the gun to a friend.

<snipped>

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/world/africa/pistorius-image/index.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »

Uncle: Victim's family won't attend Oscar Pistorius' trial
March 7, 2013

<snipped>

Mike Steenkamp said the family has no plans to attend Pistorius' trial.

"We won't be present, I can tell you that now," he said.

That's because the family wants to focus on Reeva.

"I have to concentrate on her," Kim Martin explained. "I know that sounds crazy, but that's how I get from day to day.

"It's easier to deal with it if you don't concentrate on anything else other than the fact that Reeva's not here, and at the end of the day, she's not coming back."

<snipped>

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/07/world/africa/pistorius-steenkamp-family

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »

Oscar Pistorius - What Really Happened

Saturday - 7:00 PM PT - CBCNN

_____

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »

Oscar Pistorius - What Really Happened

Saturday - 7:00 PM PT - CBCNN

thanks Janet,but you can't get it outside of canada
not sure if this one is the same one on CBCNN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8TF4MrO8Q
canada
http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/episode/oscar-pistorius-what-really-happened.html
http://www.cbc.ca/gsa/?q=Oscar+Pistorius

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »

http://www.voanews.com/content/judge-clears-pistorius-for-travel-abroad/1630230.html
Judge Clears Pistorius for Travel Abroad
March 28, 2013

A South African judge has ruled that runner Oscar Pistorius, who is charged with murdering his girlfriend, is allowed to travel abroad.

Judge Bert Bam said Thursday that Pistorius can leave the country to compete in athletic events as long as he submits an itinerary to authorities a week in advance.

South African Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius appears at the Magistrate Court in Pretoria on February 22, 2013.
​​The ruling came after lawyers for Pistorius challenged his bail terms at a hearing in the capital, Pretoria.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 09:00:32 AM »

Mr. Pistorius should be presumed innocent until proven guilty imo, but allowing him (or any other murder suspect) to travel abroad is a real stretch imo.  Is this typical treatment of all murder suspects in South Africa, or is it just for certain celebrities and/or those with high powered lawyers?  We need to remember Reeva Steencamp is dead and Oscar Pistorious is a suspect in her death.    He can leave the country to compete in athletic events as long as he submits an itinerary to authorities a week in advance.  That sounds like a lot of wiggle room if he decides to bolt.  I'm really sorry for the family and friends of Reeva, not only for their loss, but also for the leniency and support shown to Oscar Pistorious.  Innocent until proven guilty yes, but he should be kept close enough to ensure he will show for trial and possibly for incarceration if found guilty.  JMHO 

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »

Oscar Pistorius can leave South Africa, judge says, with conditions
Published Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:09AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:48AM EDT

PRETORIA, South Africa -- Oscar Pistorius can leave South Africa to compete in international track meets, a judge ruled on Thursday as he upheld the Olympic athlete's appeal against some of his bail restrictions.

Judge Bert Bam said Pistorius, who is charged with murder in the Valentine's Day shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, must travel under certain conditions. His passport will be held by a court while he is in South Africa, and he can only leave the country if he provides an itinerary of his travel plans at least a week before he is due to leave. Pistorius must also hand his travel documents back to the court within 24 hours of returning home.

The ruling in North Gauteng High Court opens the way for the Paralympic champion, who is facing a life sentence if found guilty of murder, to run in international competition again.

<snipped>

The judge also ruled in favour of Pistorius on three other conditions. He no longer has to be regularly supervised by a probation official and a ban against him drinking alcohol was lifted. Bam also slammed one of the bail conditions imposed by another judge, saying that a condition that he would be in breach of his bail if he was accused of another crime against women was "fraud." It went against Pistorius' constitutional right to be innocent until proven guilty, and being accused of a crime should not count against him, Bam said in a ruling that came three hours after the hearing began.

Another two restrictions that he was not allowed to return to his house, where he shot Steenkamp dead on Feb. 14, and had to report regularly to a police station should be disregarded, the judge said.

It meant Pistorius' legal team succeeded in all its appeals. Pistorius' lawyers smiled after the judge ruled in their favour.
<snipped>

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/oscar-pistorius-can-leave-south-africa-judge-says-with-conditions-1.1214581

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/16/oscar-pistorius-not-welcome-at-london-grand-prix/
Oscar Pistorius not welcome at London Grand Prix
April 16, 2013

South African sprinter Oscar Pistorius, who was charged with murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp back in February, won’t be welcome at this July’s London Grand Prix in Olympic Stadium, even though he’s been cleared to travel for competition.

“It would overshadow every other athlete that was there,” UK Athletics Chair Ed Warner told BBC Radio. “It’s not about innocent or guilty, it’s about how you handle an individual with a difficult moral situation hanging over them.
 ::snipping2::
Event organizers think the media circus that would surround Pistorius would overshadow the rest of the Grand Prix, which will probably be true of any event he would choose to compete in before a judgment comes down. Earlier this month the IPC cleared Pistorius to race at the Paralympic Worlds in France this July.

Pistorius’s murder trial has been adjourned until June 4.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/05/31/graphic-new-photos-crime-scene-where-pistorius-shot-girlfriend/
Graphic new photos of crime scene where Pistorius shot girlfriend
May 31, 2013

Link to photos in article.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/oscar-pistorius-judge-warns-media-scandalous-reporting/story?id=19317735
Oscar Pistorius Judge Warns Media on 'Scandalous' Reporting
June 4, 2013

(2 pg. article)

Oscar Pistorius emerged from self-imposed isolation today for the first time in four months, appearing in court before a magistrate who warned the media to steer clear of any "scandalous" reporting that might taint the Olympian's murder trial.

Pistorius, wearing a dark suit and black and white tie, stood emotionless during the 15-minute hearing at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court in South Africa. The prosecution's request for postponement was granted and the case was pushed back to Aug. 19 so detectives can finish their investigation.
The magistrate warned that "scandalous and possibly contemptuous" reporting by some in the media could impede Pistorius' right to a fair trial, adding that it's important that everyone respect the judicial process.

Magistrate Daniel Thulare also told the National Prosecuting Authority to "seriously look" at whether any of the coverage of the case had scandalized the court. Thulare has asked anyone with information about the crime to contact investigators.

The magistrate's concern comes after Sky News released images Friday of the blood-stained bathroom where Pistorius fatally shot Steenkamp Feb. 14. Sky News said it "obtained" the collection of photographs of Pistorius' home, but did not divulge the source. One picture shows bloody shoe footprints, possible evidence that investigators contaminated the crime scene.
More...

Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/sports/olympic_sports/20130813_ap_7fd9c83b559c419b9c3f1e90f38da076.html?c=r
Police complete Pistorius shooting investigation
August 13, 2013

JOHANNESBURG (AP) - A South African police spokesman says Oscar Pistorius will be served with an indictment now that police have completed an investigation into the shooting death of his girlfriend. Spokesman Lt. Gen. Solomon Makgale said Tuesday the investigation team is convinced Pistorius has a charge to answer. Pistorius will appear in a Pretoria court Monday. Makgale said it is expected Pistorius will be served with the indictment and a trial date will be set.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/866d0dae4ee94eb99290ab41555a6383/OLY-Pistorius-Shooting
Prosecutors: Oscar Pistorius trial in early 2014, main charge remains premeditated murder
August 16, 2013

OHANNESBURG — Prosecutors say Oscar Pistorius will be indicted for premeditated murder on Monday and he will go on trial in early 2014 for shooting dead his girlfriend.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Medupe Simasiku tells The Associated Press the exact date for the trial has not yet been set and will likely be decided on Monday, the double-amputee Olympian's next appearance in court.

Simasiku declined to comment Friday on South African media reports that charges will be added relating to Pistorius allegedly discharging a firearm recklessly in two other incidents.

But Simasiku said the main charge on the indictment would "definitely" be premeditated murder, meaning Pistorius faces a life sentence with a minimum of 25 years in prison if convicted on that charge.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/18/world/africa/south-africa-pistorius-case/?sr=google_news&google_editors_picks=true
Oscar Pistorius trial in death of Reeva Steenkamp to begin in March
August 18, 2013

(CNN) -- The trial of Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius, charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, will begin in March 2014, his attorney Kenny Oldwage told CNN on Sunday.
The first phase will take place in March, but the entire trial could take place at various times across a year or more due to potential motions and postponements along the way.
Pistorius will be served with an indictment Monday following the completion of the investigation. It's the day that would have been Steenkamp's 30th birthday.
Pistorius is charged with premeditated murder over the February shooting death.

The athlete's family said in June that he would resume running using his blade-shaped prosthetic legs.
Pistorius has started sprinting again for the sake of his emotional health, not for training to compete again, the family said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/Oscar-Pistorius-indicted-on-murder-charge--220173251.html
Oscar Pistorius indicted on murder charge
August 19, 2013

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — Oscar Pistorius was indicted Monday on a charge of murdering his girlfriend, and prosecutors said witnesses heard a woman screaming before the sound of fatal gunshots fired by the double-amputee Olympian in the early hours of Valentine's Day.
Pistorius, who was in court for the indictment and wept before proceedings began, also will face a charge of illegal possession of ammunition when he goes on trial March 3 in a court in the South African capital, Pretoria.
The much-awaited indictment in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court yielded new detail about how prosecutors will pursue a case that has gripped the world because of the celebrity status of Pistorius, who overcame his disability to become a global phenomenon. His model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, would have celebrated her 30th birthday on Monday.
Prosecutors said Pistorius shot "with the intention to kill a person," and a prosecution spokesman said after the hearing that it was premeditated murder.
The prosecution also will attempt to show the couple argued before she was killed as part of its case that Pistorius intended to kill Steenkamp.
"Some of the state witnesses heard a woman scream, followed by moments of silence, then heard gunshots and then more screaming," the prosecution said in the 11-page indictment.
The court set March 3-20 as the trial period for Pistorius, who has said he shot Steenkamp by mistake, believing she was an intruder in his upscale home in Pretoria. Prosecutors submitted a list of more than 100 witnesses, including Pistorius' uncle Arnold, sister Aimee and brother Carl, as well as a number of people who lived in the same gated community where Steenkamp was killed.
If convicted, Pistorius could face a life sentence with a minimum of 25 years in prison before parole. There is no death penalty in South Africa.

Pistorius, 26, appeared in court for Monday's indictment, crying and holding hands with his siblings before proceedings started. Wearing a dark suit, the athlete wiped away tears with a tissue and sat in the dock with his head bowed.
Pistorius also stood and spoke twice, first responding to the magistrate's question on whether he was OK by saying: "Under the circumstances, ja (yes)." He also was asked if he understood the indictment and he said he did.
The case will be sent to the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria, where a judge will ultimately pronounce the athlete innocent or guilty. South Africa does not have trial by jury.
Although the word "premeditated" was not contained in the indictment, prosecutors said afterward that it was a case of premeditated murder.
"When you talk of intentional, it's premeditated. Intentional. He wanted to do that," prosecution spokesman Medupe Simasiku said. "In as far as a sound case, let the court decide on that. We believe it will go through in our favor."
Prosecutors said the second charge of possession of illegal ammunition relates to a lack of proper licensing for .38 caliber bullets found at Pistorius' home. Pistorius shot Steenkamp with his licensed 9mm handgun.
This month, the office of South Africa's police commissioner said in a statement that detectives, forensic experts, ballistics experts, psychologists and other professionals are confident they have the evidence to convict Pistorius.
The most telling evidence — apart from the witness testimony — may be in records on cellphones found at Pistorius' home and through examination of the toilet cubicle door through which Pistorius shot.
The angle or trajectory of the bullets could show if Pistorius was standing on his stumps when he shot, as he says, or if he was on his prosthetics, as the prosecution maintains — a marked difference in the two accounts along with the alleged fight between him and Steenkamp.
There was no mention in the indictment of whether prosecutors still believed Pistorius was on his prosthetic legs when he shot, nor was there reference to the cellphones or door. But the prosecution only needed to give a broad outline of its case.
Pistorius' legal team now has just over six months to prepare his defense before trial.
___

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/pistorius-case-indictment-20003326
A Look at the Pistorius Case After His Indictment
PRETORIA, South Africa August 19, 2013 (AP)

A look at the Oscar Pistorius case after the double-amputee Olympian was indicted on a charge of premeditated murder Monday in girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp's killing:

NDICTMENT:

Pistorius was indicted for premeditated murder in Steenkamp's killing and his trial will start on March 3 at a high court in the South African capital, Pretoria — just over a year after he fatally shot Steenkamp. The athlete also will face a charge relating to illegal possession of ammunition after prosecutors say .38-caliber ammunition was found in his home, which he didn't have proper licensing for. Pistorius shot Steenkamp with his licensed 9mm Parabellum pistol. The murder trial will run March 3-20 next year, the court said, and will be presided over by a judge, who will ultimately pronounce Pistorius innocent or guilty. There is no trial by jury in South Africa.

———

POSSIBLE SENTENCE:

Pistorius faces a life sentence with a minimum of 25 years in prison if he is convicted of premeditated murder. There is no death penalty in South Africa. The 26-year-old also could be found guilty of a lesser charge of murder without premeditation, which has a 15-year sentence in South Africa. Prosecutors said he was guilty of murder even if he didn't know it was Steenkamp in the toilet because "he shot with the direct intention to kill a person."

Legal experts say a culpable homicide or negligent killing conviction is also still possible, which carries a five-year prison sentence when a firearm is used. Should he be convicted of premeditated murder, Pistorius will likely be older than 50 by the time he leaves prison.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »

August 19, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/vinniepolitan

Vinnie Politan ‏@VinniePolitan 4h
Does #OscarPistorius' story about his girlfriend's death make sense? http://ow.ly/o3ZTg  See all the evidence @ 10 on @HLNAfterDark

http://www.hlntv.com/poll/2013/08/19/does-blade-runners-story-make-sense
Does the Blade Runner's story make sense?
1:03 PM EDT, Mon August 19, 2013

Vote!  At the time I posted, 14% said yes, 86% no.  I went with no.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.