March 29, 2024, 12:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun Violence and Family Traditions  (Read 1099 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »

In the olden days, country/western songs were about the breakdown of marriage, family, cheating spouses, young love, and a host of other things that were sad or made you laugh.  Some people, likely those that didn't listen to country/western music said and wrote disparagingly about the whole music category and those who listened to it.

I imagine, those who listened to it asked good questions.  Why do you drink?  Why do you roll smokes?  They took the home wreckers and dysfunctional family members to task.   I don't recall songs that glorified the break down of families, communities, and gun violence.

What of contemporary?  I recall an epidemic of modern music/games glorifying sex, violence, gun violence, the breakdown of families, relationships, and anti-social behavior.  I try not to listen, no matter how catchy the tune.

Where are those that question the lyrics?  Why do you do drugs?  Why do you glorify cop killing?  Gangs?  Destroying families?

Why isn't the culture asking why families are killing families?

It's sad that anyone has to read statistics showing that 60-90% of urban children have witnessed a family member being shot/killed.  Sound horrific. 

THAT'S A LOT OF WITNESSES.  Likely law enforcement is over run with witness statements.  Police have no trouble identifying, locating, and prosecuting the guilty.

How many people are actually responsible for Chicago's 400 plus annual gun violence killings?  How many are injured and not killed each year?  How many crimes go unreported?

Is it one person (likely from the low crime suburbs) going around randomly killing people?  Is it a gang killing random people?

Are the killers people from the neighborhood?  Known to the victims?  Families of the victims?  Likely it's easy to get witnesses to identify these folks?  Maybe people run and don't offer a witness statement?

Can I get a witness please?  Turn in someone from the neighborhood?  Family?  School?

"Mother loses all four children to gun violence"

::snipping2::

"Let me tell you something, that woman was the best mother out here," she said. "That woman did everything in the world for her children. It's not her. It's the people out here."

Chambers says solving gun violence requires stronger sentences for people convicted of gun violence. And, in her community, she says people who witness shootings need to tell police what they know.

"They're going to be in the same situation one day, and you're gonna want someone talking for you, so you need to say something," she said.

read more here - http://www.ksla.com/story/20759165/mother-loses-all-four-children-to-gun-violence

Apparently, gun violence is a family tradition that keeps on giving.  Why aren't folks being shamed into coming forward and witnessing?

I believe there are families and communities that have never witnessed a person killed by gun violence - it would be a shock. 

Where is the shame for folks in violence plagued communities?  Perhaps it's easier to ignore the problem?  Accept money for programs that don't work, generation after generation?  Blame others?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.