April 16, 2024, 01:01:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Flawed Statsistics Canada methods miss true story on crime rates"  (Read 1672 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 26, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »

I wonder how often this happens in America?  Folks don't bother reporting crimes?  Police refuse to take reports and threaten those wanting to report crimes?  (Wisconsin State Fair racial assault of light skinned people.)

"Scott Newark: Flawed Statsistics Canada methods miss true story on crime rates"

The first question is simply, how do you count crime? Besides its survey of police-reported crime, Statistics Canada also conducts a survey of whether Canadians were a victim of crime. These results for 2009 show a huge discrepancy with the amount of crime reported to police. In 2009, 7.4 million Canadians reported they were the victim of at least one of the eight specific crimes covered by the survey, compared with the police count of only two million total crimes.

This discrepancy mostly reflects that people say they report only 31 per cent of crimes to the police. The public is increasingly reluctant to report crime to the police, partly out of fear of retribution from criminals and partly out of frustration with falling rates of crime being solved by the police. For example, over the past four decades, the solve rate for murders has fallen from 95 per cent to 75 per cent, and is less than 50 per cent for gang-related killings. This growing reluctance to report crime to police leads to erroneous headlines that “crime is down.” The real headline should read “Canadians’ reporting of crime hits an all-time low.”
Emphasis added.

I recall statistics that suggest high numbers of inner city children (and the adults they grow into) report witnessing a family or friend being shot to death.  With so many witnesses, why do the crimes continue?  Can't they locate, lockup, and charge the shooter?  Do all the witnesses come forward?  Work to eliminate crime in the community?

Another amazing story I recall reading.  Lawsuits against banks and others for failing to maintain inner city properties-foreclosures/for sale/abandoned.  For some reason, neighbors notice the broken locks, damaged windows, but never seem to see/report the folks breaking in, vandalizing, looting... 

Who are the people who commit crimes in the inner city?  Why doesn't it end?

Finally, society must ask who commits the crime? It is well known in the justice system that a small number of repeat offenders commit much of the crime in this country, yet Statistics Canada fails to present statistics on this phenomenon. Collecting data on how many crimes were committed by persons with extensive criminal records or who were on bail or parole, or who were already subject to deportation for past crimes, would be a powerful accountability measurement for the justice system and could inform policy reforms to reduce crime.

What does Obama do?  His admin releases illegal alien criminals...some of the worst offenders.  Why would anyone wish criminal action on the American people?

read more here - http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/02/28/scott-newark-flawed-statsistics-canada-methods-miss-true-story-on-crime-rates/

What crime?  No reporting.  No chasing after criminals.  No locking criminals up. 

Just keep raising taxes and expanding the welfare state, making law abiding citizens into criminals by taking away their rights...

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »

"Crime stats are all just a mirage"

Why won't our politicians, criminologists, law profs, prisoners' rights activists and judges fess up? Because they want to believe our ultra-lenient justice system - the system they designed - is working. And they want to convince the rest of us, too.

Just one-third of Canada's convicted criminals will ever be sentenced to jail - only one-third. Courts are instructed to avoid jail time wherever possible for young offenders, aboriginals and first-time convicts.

Hmmm...illegal aliens seem to have a perpetual 'get out of jail card free'...

Hmmm...can't punish some racial groups (African Americans) at higher rates than other groups in the schools...justice is now based on the color of one's skin...

But as Scott Newark, a former crown prosecutor who works for the Macdonald-Laurier Institute in Ottawa, pointed out last week, the way officialdom calculates crime data is incomplete and occasionally deliberately disingenuous.

How often are crime statistics in the the US manipulated?

read more here - http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/02/20130225-074638.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »

"Clark County permits surge as national gun debate continues.Experts say concealed carry doesn’t change crime rates, supporters disagree."

“Criminals report that they are worried about people having guns,” Wagner said. “Criminals who commit burglaries say, ‘Well, we case out the places because of that reason, because we don’t want to break into someone’s house if someone’s there, because that’s how you get shot.’ ”

::snipping2::

Gun control advocates say limits would stop these and other heinous crimes. Gun rights advocates say arming more people — including teachers — would deter violent crime and, if it were to happen, be a tool to stop it.

Does civil society really exist?  Did it ever exist in the real world, among the common people?  Perhaps civil society is just an illusion, day dream, or delusion of the elite?

Recently Adams said he was leaving a restaurant on Leffel Lane when a man wearing a ski mask and with his hands in his pockets charged at him and demanded money.

Adams, whose gun was concealed by a jacket, warned the man that he was armed. The man kept coming, Adams said, so he pulled his jacket back and displayed the gun, never pulling it out of its holster.

The man left, according to Adams. “In my view, that’s an attempted robbery,” he said.

Because the firearm wasn’t drawn and because he wouldn’t be able to identify the man later, he said, he didn’t report it to authorities.

read more here - http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/news/crime-law/crime-down-debate-over-guns-role-grows/nW2T4/

One has to wonder if law enforcement under-reports smaller crimes?  Refuses to take a report?  I recall in some places they no longer chase criminals, tell people they no longer come to investigate or take a report (Detroit).

What is wrong in a nation that is in a downward spiral and the elite what to prevent the little people from protecting themselves?

Police say Hibbler and Dierre Cotton walked into the Aldi store. Milwaukee police say Cotton came into the Aldi store armed with a shotgun, with the intent to rob the store, but he left empty-handed.

The attempted armed robbery was foiled after a customer took out his gun and shot the suspect. That customer was 35-year-old Nazir Al-Mujaahid. Cotton and Hibbler fled the store.

Cotton suffered a gunshot wound to his leg and a graze wound on his head, so Hibbler drove him to St. Joseph’s Hospital for treatment.

When police questioned Cotton, the complaint says Cotton needed the money “to pay for school.” He told officers he used the gun in the robbery to scare people, and said it was not loaded.

The charges are not only for the incident at the Aldi store — they’re also from an armed robbery at a CVS store in Milwaukee on January 4th and a Radio Shack in Wauwatosa on January 19th.

This story stays in the news because the good Samaritian Mr. Al-Mujaahid lost his weapon to police and had trouble getting it returned.  Mr. Al-Mujaahid is not the criminal.  Why would someone bring a gun into a store to protect their family?  What has our society become?

read more here - http://fox6now.com/2013/02/26/edyon-hibbler-to-be-sentenced-for-armed-robbery/

Is taking away Mr. Al-Mujaahid's guns going to prevent crime?  The next robbery?

Did anyone ever get punished for destroying the financial system in 2008?  Who gets all the money from the Fed?  Why isn't the Fed an open book? 

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

Economic Springtime in Mexico?  Vacations instead of crime?

Q: Does the security question still come up in talks with your travel partners?

A: It's part of the information we dispense, but it is not the determining factor from buyers and sellers, who now want to know what and where our attractions are and how we will promote them, not our crime statistics. There's been a change in mood, attitude, confidence and message. It's officially springtime now, a time of renewal, and that's a metaphor for what's happening in Mexico.

There was no alert from Texas this year regarding spring break, and our beach resorts were packed. Mazatlan is a prime example of how one destination went proactive after security issues surfaced there and threatened to derail its entire tourism product. Tourism officials collaborated with hoteliers, the whole community came together to implement safety and security measures and to get that message out. There's been a big turnaround.

Recent beheadings?  I wonder is crime in Mexico is under-reported too.

When does the US get a chance at renewal?  A chance for Americans to prosper?

If Mexico is so great, why do so many promote the idea that it's filled with gangs, ubergangs, crime, rape, sexual slavery, etc?

read more here - http://www.travelweekly.com/In-the-Hot-Seat/Mexico-Secretary-of-Tourism-Claudia-Ruiz-Massieu/

When do Americans get a big turnaround?  Renewal?  Casting off the old and welcoming in a system of justice for all, endless opportunity for those willing to work hard? 

When do Americans get to take home every dollar they earn instead of watching big government skim ever more from their meager earnings?

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »

"Julieta Venegas' New Album Inspired By Mexico's Violent Crime Wave"

"Suddenly, Mexico's a different place, much more violent, where we see a very different side to people, where I feel the need to join with others and say the ordeal we're going through is different when we go through it together," the 42-year-old winner of five Latin Grammys and one Grammy award said.

An estimated 70,000 people were killed in drug-related violence in Mexico during the 2006-2012 tenure of former Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who deployed thousands of army soldiers and Federal Police officers across the country to fight drug cartels.

Venegas said she had no desire to include frivolous or romantic tracks on "Los momentos," which was released on Tuesday,

The artist said fear has become "another element in everyone's lives" and must be combated. "We can't let that be what defines our days" but rather we have to "use it so it pushes you to be better, to improve the world around you, to look for answers."

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/entertainment/2013/03/25/julieta-venegas-new-album-inspired-by-mexico-drug-violence/#ixzz2OehVegot

Is the goal NOT to report crime?  Give people a false sense of security?

I wonder how the 70,000 number compares to gang violence in the US?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.