April 18, 2024, 05:25:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "We Need To Help American Workers, Not Guest Workers"  (Read 1755 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 29, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »

From Fox -

read more here - http://nation.foxnews.com/jeff-sessions/2013/03/29/sessions-we-need-help-american-workers-not-guest-workers

Original story - http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/344282/we-need-immigration-policy-helps-americans-jeff-sessions

Immigration reform is a complex issue that requires significant time and public engagement to be handled responsibly and to produce legislation that will actually work. We need to have open public hearings on every aspect of this proposed reform — visa overstays, exit and entry systems, future flow, chain migration, the public-charge rule, fiscal impacts, worksite security, law-enforcement concerns, etc. For instance, the ICE officers’ union has asked repeatedly to be given a chance to participate in White House discussions and to speak with the Gang of Eight, but has been unable to get a meeting — even as the special interests report almost daily on their access and engagement.

One of the most important concerns — and too little discussed — is the economic impact. The last time Congress considered a comprehensive immigration bill, unemployment was 4.5 percent. Today, it’s nearly 8 percent. Forty percent of those unemployed have been out of work for six months or longer. The labor force participation rate is at a thirty-year low. The unemployment rate for teenagers is 25.1 percent. Wages are stagnant. Never before have more Americans been on food stamps and other forms of welfare. Yet all we hear from those interests pushing for a comprehensive immigration bill is that we have a labor shortage and need to import more low-skill workers. An expanded guest-worker program will not benefit unemployed American and legal workers. We should be trying to help unemployed Americans find good jobs, not importing cheap labor to take these jobs. A well-planned welfare-to-work program — turning the welfare office into a job-placement center — is what is needed. There are communities in this country that have been plagued by generations of high unemployment. Yet the very jobs that would be an entry point into the labor force for the unemployed — particularly for the young — are the jobs that are seemingly being negotiated away as part of this comprehensive bill.
  Emphasis added.

Who's looking out for the common man in America?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 10:32:27 PM »

Organized labor and big business have reached a deal on a new, low-skilled workers program that will help clear the way for Capitol Hill immigration reform, but President Obama and a leading Republican senator maintain cautious optimism about a final deal.

The deal was reached during a Friday night phone call between AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka and U.S. Chamber of Commerce chief executive Tom Donohue, according to several news organizations and confirmed by Fox News.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/30/labor-big-business-agree-on-key-part-immigration-reform-but-final-deal-still/#ixzz2P51bQs6I

The nation has unemployment and breadlines/welfare recipients that rival the Great Depression and they want to import more low skilled labor?  Why not put low skilled welfare recipients in those low skilled jobs?  Low skilled high school drop-outs?

Why doesn't the American worker have a seat at the table?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 03:43:12 AM »

Are they truly guests?  Or, will they be allowed to bring their families?  Will the families be allowed to go on welfare?  What happens when their guest pass expires?  Will they be returned?  Allowed to remain as dreamers?

I recall after the Porkulus, thousands of people in Wisconsin showed up for an application to get into an entry level class to train people to work in the trades for road work etc.  After the entry level class, they may have the opportunity to join a union trade.  The push at the time was for 'construction' work.

After training, are they truly 'unskilled'?  I don't think so.  Would this be another road to riches for foreigners, one that is blocked to Americans?

When thousands of Americans show up for a hundred or so spots, is there really a demand for 'unskilled' workers?

Why not focus on America's unskilled?  America's unemployed?

I recall that there are many construction workers that remain unemployed. 

Why do we need ANY guest worker programs?

What is wrong with this picture?

I recall over the years the criticism that construction jobs don't seem to employ African Americans either.

Why do we need a 'guest' worker program at all?  One of the problem with illegal aliens is that many come legally and overstay their welcome and never leave.

Who's looking out for taxpayers?  Those that pay more in 'income taxes' than they get back?

No one.

just my humble questions and opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 03:57:05 AM »

Obama want's another Porkulus.  I recall that the last one did nothing to require employers to use E-Verify or ensure that workers were eligible to work in the US.  How many jobs went to illegal aliens?  How many of Obama's new Porkulus will go low skilled 'guest' workers?

Is there really a need?  I don't think so.  We have too many unemployed union, low skilled, welfare recipients, college grads that need work.  Why import more people?  People that never leave?

How many 'guest' workers will be recruited from LA?  Seattle?  Arizona?  Hundreds of miles away from where the work needs to be done?  Think Washington/Oregon state loggers example.  Completely bypassed locals.  Completely bypassed American citizens for jobs?

I don't think there is any need for 'guest' workers. 

It seems like Obama's new Porkulus is just a bonus package for illegal aliens and 'guest' workers.  The 'guest' worker programs seems like another form of Amnesty.

Is an 'invasion' by another name still an 'invasion'?

just my humble opinions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.