March 28, 2024, 03:52:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaufman Cty DA Mike McLelland & Wife Found Slain in Home(SOLVED)  (Read 45029 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/09/punishment-phase-williams-continues/20133699/
Slide show at above link.

Prosecutors displayed an arsenal of weapons at Eric Williams' murder trial on December 9, 2014. (Photo: Tanya Eiserer / WFAA)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/27595960/state-rests-ahead-of-eric-williams-sentencing
State rests ahead of Eric Williams sentencing
Posted: Dec 10, 2014 11:56 AM CST
Updated: Dec 10, 2014 11:57 AM CST

Prosecutors have finished calling witnesses for the penalty phase of Eric Williams' murder trial.

Williams was convicted last week in the 2013 death of Cynthia McLelland. He's also accused of killing Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland and prosecutor Mark Hasse.

The state rested Wednesday morning without calling Williams' estranged wife and co-defendant to testify. Legal experts thought she might because she was allegedly an eyewitness to the murders.

Instead, one of final witnesses was one of Williams' ex-girlfriends from the 1990s. She said he threatened her with a gun after she broke off their relationship.

Earlier in the penalty phase jurors were shown a stash of guns, ammunition and fake police uniforms that were found at Williams' home and in his storage unit. He told police he was buying and selling it all legally.

The defense could begin presenting its case Wednesday afternoon.

Williams is facing the death penalty.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/16/kim-williams-murder-trial-eric-kaufman/20474739/
Wife: Williams celebrated Kaufman murders with steak dinner
December 16, 2014

ROCKWALL -- The estranged wife of convicted killer Eric Williams testified Tuesday that her husband celebrated the deaths of Kaufman County's district attorney and his wife with a steak dinner, and planned to continue killing other county officials.
Kim Williams, who has been helping investigators build their case against Eric Williams, testified as the final witness for the prosecution in the penalty phase of her husband's murder trial. She told the defense that by testifying, she is hoping to avoid the death penalty.

Kim told the jury that while she is guilty of being an accomplice in the murders, her husband was the trigger man behind the deaths of District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife, Cynthia.

Prosecutors already have won a guilty verdict in those killings. During the penalty phase of the trial, they are seeking the death penalty for the former justice of the peace. The defense argues that he should receive a life sentence.

Kim Williams' testimony supported two points critical to the argument for a death penalty: That her husband killed in cold blood, and that he posed a continuing danger to society.

She said Eric Williams carefully planned each killing, celebrated with a steak dinner after the deaths, and had identified additional targets. They included current Kaufman County District Attorney Erleigh Wiley and retired State District Judge Glen Ashworth. Kim said Eric had a "good relationship" with Ashworth, his former boss.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys both argue that Eric Williams became enraged after his former colleagues in Kaufman County government won his conviction on a charge of stealing three computer monitors from the county. The conviction cost Williams his job as a justice of the peace, and his license to practice law. Defense lawyers, seeking to soften his punishment, have argued that the prosecution was unreasonable.

On the stand Tuesday, Kim Williams said her husband was more angry at Hasse than anyone after the conviction. She outlined his plan to kill Hasse, McLelland and Ashworth. She said he had planned to kidnap Ashworth and kill him with a crossbow and napalm, before putting him in their freezer.

Kim said they scoped out where they would kill Hasse and called it the "Tombstone Plan." She added that Eric was "excited and happy" when he was about to kill Hasse outside the courthouse.

"His anger was my anger," Kim Williams said.

"I asked him if Mark said anything," Kim recalled. "And he told me that Mark said "No, no, please no."

She added that he appeared satisfied with himself.

She said after Hasse's murder, they stashed their getaway car in a storage unit and Eric cleaned it of fingerprints.

Kim then outlined the plan to kill the McLellands. She said they originally planned to kill Mike McLelland near the courthouse as well. Then they decided to kill him at home. Kim said that Eric told her Cynthia McLelland had to be killed because she would be a witness and was "collateral damage."

She also said that Eric dressed as a SWAT team member for the Forney killings. She told jurors that she and her husband celebrated with a steak cookout after the murders and were "joyous and happy."

Kim Wiliams told the jury that she and Eric had had code for talking by using a deck of cards. Mike McLelland was the "King." Erleigh Wiley was the "Queen."

After the murders, Kim Williams led investigators to the two guns, a cell phone and a grim reaper mask that were found in Lake Tawakoni. Ballistics testing showed that one of the guns was used to kill Hasse. The other gun had previously been purchased by Kim Williams. The gunman in Hasse's death was wearing a mask like the one police recovered.

She also showed police where Williams had performed target practice in preparation for the killings. Authorities found shell casings there that matched those found at the McLelland home and the unfired shell casings found in Eric Williams' secret storage unit.

After Kim Williams' testimony, members of the FBI and former judge and current Kaufman Co. DA Erleigh Norville Wiley, who was on Eric Williams' hit list, took the stand.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/27640473/wife-testifies-ex-judge-fatally-shot-3-for-revenge
Estranged wife testifies against Kaufman County killer Eric Williams
December 16, 2014

The estranged wife of convicted Kaufman County killer Eric Williams testified Tuesday during the sentencing phase of his trial. She talked how they planned and carried out the murders.

Eric Williams was found guilty earlier this month in the shooting death of Cynthia McLelland. He is also accused of killing Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland and prosecutor Mark Hasse.

Kim Williams told jurors Tuesday that her testimony was voluntarily. She is also charged with capital murder and admitted her guilt.

Kim said Eric was the one who pulled the trigger, but she helped him because she believed in him and loved him. She also admitted being a drug addict.

“I was so drugged up, his anger became my anger,” she said.

Kim testified that Eric was mad at Hasse and McLelland because they prosecuted him for stealing county computer equipment in 2011. He lost his job as a Kaufman County justice of the peace and his law license.

She claimed he drank a lot of beer and believes it affected his diabetes and way of thinking. He started talking about killing judges and Hasse, she said.

Kim admitted making napalm for her husband.

“He wanted to kill Hass, then bore out his stomach and put the napalm in it,” she said.

Ultimately they went with the “Tombstone” plan for Hasse's murder, which was based on the movie in which people are hunted and killed in the street, Kim said.

Kim admitted being the getaway driver that day. She said they parked the car in a storage unit afterward and drove home feeling happy and satisfied.

For the McLelland murders, Kim said Eric's plan was to dress up like a cop, ring the doorbell and say there was a gunman in the area. He even modeled the fake sheriff's outfit for her the night before.

Cynthia McLelland's death was collateral damage, she said.

Kim testified that she and her husband drove to her parent's house near Lake Tawakani after shooting the McLellands. They threw the evidence in the lake and then celebrated with grilled steaks.

Eric also had plans to kill at least two other judges, his wife said.

Prosecutors asked Kim why she chose to testify.

"Because those families have suffered and they deserve this," she answered.

During cross examination, Kim also said she is also hoping her testimony will spare her the death penalty.

Eric is facing a sentence of either life in prison or the death penalty.

His defense attorneys rested their case Monday after calling several character witnesses – his mother, childhood friends and a few co-workers.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/17/eric-williams-kaufman-county-murders/20525633/
Death penalty for Williams; compared to Manson, Dahmer
December 17, 2014

ROCKWALL -- Eric Williams has been sentenced to death for the 2013 Easter weekend killings of the District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife.

Jurors deliberated for about two hours and 40 minutes before being sent home Tuesday night. They resumed deliberations Wednesday morning and gave their verdict just before 9:30 a.m.

Judge Mike Snipes compared Williams to infamous serial killers.

"You made yourself out to be some sort of 'Charles Bronson-death-wish-vigilante' in this case. I never bought that. And to any deluded souls out there who may have bought it... at the end of the day, you murdered a little old lady," the judge told Williams. "And you would have murdered two other innocent people if you had the opportunity. That puts you right there with Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer and Richard Speck."

Judge Snipes also spoke to the people of Kaufman County.

"I know you've been scared for the last couple of years. Nobody's gonna be scared anymore."

The families of the murder victims spoke directly to Williams. Through their tears and anger, they told him what they thought of him.

"You are going to die and our family will be there to watch it happen. And long after your corpse has been disposed of, and your name forgotten, this county and state will remember the good people — Mark Hasse, Mike McLelland, Cynthia McLelland --- who gave their lives putting scum like you in prison," Mark Hasse's mother wrote in a statement which was read in court.

"You took away my parents. You will get what you deserve," son JR McLelland said.

He told Williams they would have the final celebration. On the witness stand, Kim Williams talked about how she and her husband celebrated by grilling steaks after Williams gunned down the McLellands.

"Tonight while you eat a bologna sandwich. I am going to have steak. I'll be the one celebrating and I will be there to watch you die," JR McLelland said.

Williams wouldn't even look at the family members as they spoke to him. Daughter Crystal McLelland said the last two years have torn apart their families.

"This is the worst nightmare. Why you thought you had the right to kill them I will never understand," she said.

Eric Williams will die by lethal injection. Kim Williams still faces her fate. She is hoping by testifying against her husband she will be spared the death penalty and will be given a life sentence.

The 12-member jury found Williams guilty of the capital murder indictment of the death of Cynthia McLelland earlier this month. The indictment included the death of her husband, Mike McLelland.

Prosecutors say Williams meticulously plotted revenge because Hasse and McLelland had prosecuted him for stealing the monitors. The conviction cost Williams his job as a justice of the peace, and he lost his license to practice law.

The jury began deliberations shortly after hearing explosive testimony from his estranged wife and accused accomplice, Kim Williams. She calmly and without emotion walked jurors through the planning of the murders, how they were carried out and what happened afterward.

In closing arguments Williams' defense team pleaded for his life. But prosecutors say Eric Williams is a serial psychopathic killer who planned to kill even more of his enemies.

It only took this jury 90 minutes to find Williams guilty of capital murder, surprising some people who thought they would sentence him just as quickly.

All 12 jurors had to agree for the death sentence to be imposed.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/17/judge-impact-statement-victim-judge-eric-williams-kaufman-county/20541565/
'Got what you deserve': Judge, loved ones speak out
December 17, 2014

Taking the stand with reddened eyes, J.R. McLelland spoke directly to Williams, at one point goading him to look him in the eye.

McLelland questioned whether this outcome is what Williams wanted from the start after he failed to become a law enforcement officer. He then ended his statement with a reference to testimony made by Kim Williams the day prior to his sentencing. On the stand, Mrs. Williams recalled the mood 'joyous' after her husband shot down the McLellands in a "torrent of lead." She said that night, they both went to her parents' house where they ate a grilled steak dinner.

"And I was told not to cuss, and I'm trying not to. So, I'll just tell you this, tonight, while you're eating a bologna sandwich, I'm going to have steaks. Ribeye, baked potatoes, a big fat glass of sweet tea, while you drink water and [eat a] sandwich. And I'll be there to watch you die, along with the rest of my family. I don't know if this was what you were wanting, this is what you got. [Looks to jury] Thank y'all for your service. [Looks back at Williams] Have fun in Hunt."

Nathan Foreman sat tall and kept his composure as he addressed Williams. He took his time to share the impact and role his mother and stepfather played in his and the rest of McLelland and Foreman lives. He described his mother as the "center of our family" and Mr. McLelland as his ear during troubling times. He also depicted the energy and life that was taken from the family following their deaths.

"I grew up believing in the Golden Rule, that what you do will come back to you, and so I know and believe that you, Eric, will get your punishment.

...My grandmother died this last year right after Thanksgiving. And she told me after mom and Mike died that some of the spark of life had left. She was ready to die at that point. It broke my heart to watch a vibrant woman wither away after one of her kids were gone.

...I believe it's important not to hate and I work on that daily because I think that hate is corrosive, it can eat away your soul. So, I try not to hate, but I cannot forgive and I cannot forget."

More victim's family statements....

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »

(my blue highlight)  Really?  She's making comment on the families terrible losses, when she could have prevented the three deaths in the first place?!  What the heck?  A plea deal is more than she deserves, imo.  Trying to save her own bacon.     It seemed it was okay to help send three people to their deaths, yet she seems to want and value her own life.     She was responsible for the taking of not one, not two but the lives of three people in two different murder venues.  And would have gone on if they hadn't been caught.  That's a lot imo.  All in the name of vengence.  I hope her sentence is life without parole.  She can spend the rest of her days in a cell pondering. I wonder if the legals were worried it could be difficult bringing about the death penalty, given that she's an elderly woman and supposedly not the person pulling the trigger?  Perhaps the defense could come up with something about her mental status or pressure from her husband.  I don't know.  We may never know.    

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/28/kim-williams-pleads-guilty-kaufman-murders/20966809/
Kim Williams to plead guilty in Kaufman murders
December 28, 2014

KAUFMAN COUNTY -- The estranged wife and accused accomplice of former Justice of the Peace Eric Williams will plead guilty Tuesday to murder in connection to the 2013 assassinations of the Kaufman County district attorney, his wife and a top assistant, News 8 Has learned.

"A tentative plea agreement has been reached," said lead special prosecutor Bill Wirskye.

Kim Williams is scheduled to plead guilty at 9 a.m. Tuesday in Kaufman County before Dallas County State District Judge Michael Snipes. Her husband was sentenced to the death penalty on Dec. 17 in Rockwall County, where his case had been moved due to pretrial publicity.

Kim Williams is charged with three counts of capital murder. It is unclear whether she will plead guilty to all three of the indictments. It is also unknown what prison sentence she will receive. Kim Williams is being held in the Kaufman County jail in lieu of $10 million bail.

Eric Williams arrived on Death Row the day after being sentenced, according to the Texas Department of Criminal justice web site.

Hasse, 57, was gunned down Jan. 31, 2013, as he walked to the Kaufman County Courthouse. District Attorney Mike McLlelland, 63, and his wife, Cynthia, were murdered in their Forney home during the Easter weekend in what prosecutors have described as a "torrent of lead."

In the punishment phase of her husband's trial, Kim Williams took the stand and gave a step-by-step account of how he developed his murderous plot and carried out the killings. She confessed that he was the triggerman and she was his willing helper.

She calmly and without emotion recounted to jurors how they celebrated the killings and how Eric Williams planned to kill two others, including his former boss, a retired state district judge, and the current Kaufman County District Attorney Erleigh Wiley.

She testified that at that time she had no plea deal with prosecutors and had simply decided to tell the truth in hopes of receiving some consideration in her own cases.

"Those families deserve this," she said. "They've suffered a terrible, terrible loss, and they deserve this."

Kim Williams told jurors what happened when her husband, then a newly-elected justice of the peace, was convicted of stealing county computer monitors. She said he began drinking and became angrier and angrier. He soon began talking of killing those who had crossed him.

Kim Williams said he decided that he would kill Hasse first in a plot intended to cause shock and terror by its brazen, public nature. She said she drove the getaway car that her husband secretly purchased days before the killing. Kim Williams described how they parked and waited for Hasse to park in his "usual spot" near the county courthouse. Kim Williams testified that her husband dressed all in black and a Halloween mask, then got out and shot down Hasse.
Kim Williams testified that her husband soon began formulating his plan to kill Mike McLelland.— the other man that he blamed most for his downfall, she said. She said her husband decided that he would kill the district attorney in his Forney home on Easter weekend because he didn't think he'd have law enforcement protection. His plan was to impersonate a police officer, figuring that Cynthia McLelland would answer the door. He planned to tell her that there was a gunman in the area so he could enter the house, Kim Williams told jurors.

On the morning of the killings, Eric Williams donned his uniform — complete with helmet and a bulletproof vest with a sheriff's patch on the front. They drove to the McLellands' home and he went to the front door. Kim Williams then testified that she heard the gunshots.

Law officers would later recover 20 shell casings from the McLelland home. Mike McLelland had 16 gunshot wounds; Cynthia McLelland had eight.

"He told me that he had to shoot her an extra time because she was still moaning," Williams said said.

She told jurors that Cynthia McLelland had to die because she was a witness.

Kim and Eric Williams ate steaks to celebrate that evening. Then they drove to Lake Tawakoni that night to dump evidence, she said.

With her help, divers later recovered the Hasse murder weapon, a gun belonging to Kim Williams, and the mask used in the killing of Hasse.

Paul Johnson, Kim Williams' defense attorney, declined to comment on the details of the agreement, but said, "I'm hoping that we can get a resolution to this and put it behind us for the benefit of the communities and the families of the victims."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »

She got off easy imo.  Sentenced to just over thirteen years for each of the three deaths to give her 40 years.  What about the other murders that she helped plan and would have helped out in?  Should have been life without parole.  Will she serve ALL 40 years?  I'm thinking it won't be long before her defense attorneys try to bargain the time down for health issues.  She should never see life outside prison again.  How many people do you know that would not only have had knowledge of what was going on, but also helped drive get a way cars and etc.?  She may be an older person, but she still may hold hope of release.  I don't believe she should have ANY hope for anything at all.  JMHO

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/30/us-usa-texas-districtattorney-idUSKBN0K812Q20141230
Texas woman pleads guilty in revenge murder of prosecutors
December 30, 2014

Reuters) - A woman charged with helping her husband kill a Texas district attorney, his wife and an assistant district attorney pleaded guilty to murder on Tuesday.

Kim Williams, 48, accepted a plea deal to three counts of first-degree murder and will serve 40 years in prison, court officials said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Eric-Williams-Sister-Speaks-out-About-Kim-Williams-Murder-Sentence-287065121.html
Eric Williams' Sister Speaks out About Kim Williams' Murder Sentence
December 29, 2014

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »

I agree, her sentence is too light.  Life without parole would have been sufficient consideration (for her testimony) from the death sentence she deserves IMO.

In one of the videos I watched one of the family members said she had a conscience; I don't think so.   

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/27640473/wife-testifies-ex-judge-fatally-shot-3-for-revenge

"His anger was my anger," Kim Williams said.

She was as vengeful as he was or three people would not have died.  For all we know, she only fueled the fire.  She certainly didn't do anything to stop the madness!  JMO

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/17/eric-williams-kaufman-county-murders/20525633/
Death penalty for Williams; compared to Manson, Dahmer
December 17, 2014

Judge Mike Snipes compared Williams to infamous serial killers.

"You made yourself out to be some sort of 'Charles Bronson-death-wish-vigilante' in this case. I never bought that. And to any deluded souls out there who may have bought it... at the end of the day, you murdered a little old lady," the judge told Williams. "And you would have murdered two other innocent people if you had the opportunity. That puts you right there with Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer and Richard Speck."

Judge Snipes also spoke to the people of Kaufman County.

"I know you've been scared for the last couple of years. Nobody's gonna be scared anymore."

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »

BBM  If this is possibly true, it sure didn't do anything to harm his ability to elaborately plan/premeditate the murder of Mark Hasse and the McClellands, not to mention the other murders he planned but was arrested before he committed them.    And what about Williams wifey-poo?  She knew all about it, helped him with it, drove the get a way cars and such.  Why didn't she seek help for him if he was having mental issues?   Why didn't she tell someone?  It was all preventable.  No new trial needed.  Too much evidence and his wife sang like a canary.  Suck it up Eric.  You got off easy.  There are innocent people dead by your hand and you are still living and breathing.

www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2015/01/17/kaufman-county-killer-seeks-new-trial/21917909/
Kaufman County killer seeks new trial
January 17, 2015

Eric Williams, the former Kaufman County justice of the peace who was sentenced to death last month for murdering District Attorney Mike McClelland and his wife in 2013, is asking for a new trial.

Public defender John Wright filed a motion on Friday asserting that a doctor has determined that Williams suffered a "probable prior brain injury" linked to "uncontrolled diabetes" that affected his judgment, behavior and emotion.

Wright argues that this "newly discovered evidence" could have saved his client from a death sentence.

The condemned man's attorney also contends that Judge John Snipes, who presided over Williams' murder trial, was "demonstrably biased in favor of a capital murder conviction."

At Williams' trial, prosecutors presented evidence linking him to the murders of Mike and Cynthia McClelland and the streetcorner assassination of prosecutor Mark Hasse. They said the defendant was motivated to kill after being convicted of stealing county property, then being removed from his JP post and stripped of his license to practice law.

Eric Williams' appeal for a new trial will be heard by 62nd District Court presiding Judge Webb Biard.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.