March 28, 2024, 07:18:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Nixon's Second Term  (Read 2273 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: April 04, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

I missed that age in school where young folks were taught civics, government, and real history.  I was raised in the age of 'Social Studies', new math, and diversity.  With such an education, I was little prepared for the real world of Vietnam and the folks damaged forever.

Often times, Barack Obama is compared to Jimmy Carter's second term.  What is the Carter legacy?  18% home mortgage loans?  High and persistent unemployment?  Hopelessness and despair?  Ronald Reagan was a breath of fresh air for a nation in economic decay.

Who is Barack Obama?  What is his legacy?

"New video shows Syrian rebels using US SEALs' sniper rifle"

The Free Syrian Army has been receiving weapons from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey - all close allies of the US. But the US has repeatedly stated that it has sent no weapons to the opposition forces.

According to the report, the US State Department has acknowledged directly providing 385 million dollars support to the Syrian people, including "emergency medical care and medical supplies, food aid, and winterization supplies like blankets and heaters for those affected by the crisis."

The site also reports that "over 4,000 major pieces of equipment have been provided, mostly to Damascus, Aleppo, and other areas with significant opposition presence, including communications and computer equipment, as well as generators."

The sniper rifle, manufactured by Accuracy International - which sells arms to the Turkish and Saudi Arabian militaries - has a fearsome reputation.

read more here - http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/new-video-shows-syrian-rebels-using-us-seals-sniper-rifle_839698.html

Who supplied those guns?  Would they be allowed under the UN Treaty that is in the news today?  No guns or ammo for Americas, just for terrorists and drug lords?

Where is all that ammo DHS is buying really going?  To a warehouse somewhere?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »

Early March, 2013 story -

"$36 Billion of Military Hardware Could Be Destroyed in Afghan Pullout"

Why  not redeploy that along the Mexican border?  IIRC, they spent less than $1 billion on building a fence...

The Obama White House is cutting $65 billion in the sequester, but it could easily leave or torch 750,000 pieces of major military hardware — worth $36 billion — in Afghanistan after U.S. troops pull out by the end of next year.

Here are the options, according to Face the Facts USA of the George Washington University: Leave the equipment — or destroy it — in Afghanistan; move it to other U.S. military outposts; or transfer it to another U.S. agency or to another country.

The estimated cost for the latter two options: $5.7 billion.

The equipment includes trucks, aircraft, and armored vehicles — most of which are controlled by the Army.

Because the Afghanistan terrain is mountainous and landlocked, transport would be difficult. But leaving it behind intact could put the equipment in the wrong hands.

So, is it best to torch $36 billion in U.S. military assets?

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newswidget/Afghanistan-withdrawal-billions-hardware/2013/03/05/id/493173?promo_code=125BD-1&utm_source=125BDTelegraph_Media_Group&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1#ixzz2MtF6YG5j

The number of illegals has reportedly doubled and no one is protecting the border.

Why leave it behind?  Does that make sense?  I don't think so!

If it's is difficult to transport, how did it get there in the first place?

What are others doing?  Are they leaving everything behind?

Airlift from Afghanistan: British Army bringing military equipment back to the UK ahead of exit
1 Apr 2013 17:12

::snipping2::

The British Army is conducting a final sweep of Camp Bastion in Afghanistan – as troops tidy up before they leave the country.

Almost everything from nuts and bolts, ammunition and armed vehicles will be collected, cashing in nearly £30million a month.

Camp Bastion, in Helmand Province, is the size of a town and has rows of vehicles – like 15-ton Mastiffs and 20-ton Buffalo trucks – waiting to be transported home.

Ammo will be sold for scrap, with the high brass and steel content meaning decommissioned rounds can be sold for £2,000 per ton.

Lt Charles Ashington-Pickett explained: “We don’t want to leave this ACTO material – attractive to criminal and terrorist organisations.

"This ranges from weapons and ammunition to radios, cameras and batteries.”

However, as much as £1billion worth of equipment, like furniture and Land Rovers, will be left behind as military chiefs consider them not worth bringing back.

read more here - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/airlift-afghanistan-british-army-bringing-1796882

What is Obama leaving behind for criminal and terrorist organizations?

What's wrong with this picture?

How are criminals and terrorist organizations getting their hands on sniper rifles?  Where the the 'missing' survivors of Bhengazi?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »

Giving something up for Lent sequester,...

In the olden days, folks gave things up for Lent.  I remember friends had to discuss this with the nun or priest.  Is that really a sacrifice?  Maybe you should make another choice?

"Piers to Obama: Give Up Vacations"

Piers Morgan was not impressed with President Obama’s decision to return 5 percent of his pay in solidarity with those impacted by the sequester, and suggested the president cut back on vacations instead. “If he gave up the vacations, which are costing the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of dollars, it might have more impact than 5 percent of $400,000,” said the CNN host.

“I mean, to me, it’s another really pointless exercise,” Morgan said. “It’s not going to make any difference.”

How many exotic and expensive vacations does one family need?  How many golf outings?  Lavish entertainments?

read more and watch video here - http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/344661/piers-obama-give-vacations-andrew-johnson

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »

I missed Watergate.  I remember the Carter peanuts and jug wine.  Didn't understand Vietnam.

What do I remember?  Meeting many Vietnam Vets with problems.  Many were troubled individuals, trying to live a normal life and rebuild themselves.

What kind of rebuilding? 

A vet with problems who spent much of his life living in a van with his wife and kids.  Problems.

A vet who got all kinds of plastic surgery to repair himself years later due to injuries inflicted in Vietnam.  He had lots of unsolicited horrible stories to tell.  I wonder if the repairs helped him live a better life.

Another vet seemed to have life well under control.  He had a lovely wife and daughter.  One day, he pronounced his wish list and at the top was a meeting with Nixon -- five minutes in a locked room with Nixon and a sgraffito knife. 

Many, if not all of them owned guns.  Would they be refused gun ownership today?  Tomorrow?

Why did so many fixate on Nixon?  Did he start the mess?

Is Obama the second term of Richard Nixon?

Why the urge to confiscate guns?  Ammo?  Why aren't they securing the border and going after CRIMINALS and ILLEGAL ALIENS that commit crimes?  Gun down innocents?

Why did they open the prisons and let the criminals go free?  Now they push Amnesty?  Gun control?  Really?

Perhaps they fear the vets of this era?  Everyday Americans?

Is Barack Obama the new Richard Nixon?

just my humble opinions, observations, and thoughts.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »

Why isn't America a cool neutral country with secure borders?  Why doesn't America put Americans at the top of the list?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »

"Remembering Nixon’s Wage and Price Controls"

On Aug. 15, 1971, in a nationally televised address, Nixon announced, “I am today ordering a freeze on all prices and wages throughout the United States.”

After a 90-day freeze, increases would have to be approved by a “Pay Board” and a “Price Commission,” with an eye toward eventually lifting controls — conveniently, after the 1972 election.

Putting the U.S. economy “into a permanent straitjacket would … stifle the expansion of our free enterprise system,” Nixon said. As President George W. Bush put it in 2008, sometimes you have to “abandon free-market principles to save the free-market system.”

There was no national emergency in the summer of ‘71: unemployment stood at 6 percent, inflation only a point higher than it is now. Yet, after Nixon’s announcement, the markets rallied, the press swooned, and, even though his speech pre-empted the popular Western Bonanza, the people loved it, too — 75 percent backed the plan in polls.

As Nobel Prize-winning economist Milton Friedman correctly predicted, however, Nixon’s gambit ended “in utter failure and the emergence into the open of the suppressed inflation.” The people would pay the price — but not until after he’d coasted to a landslide re-election in 1972 over Democratic Sen. George McGovern.

By the time Nixon reimposed a temporary freeze in June 1973, Daniel Yergin and Joseph Stanislaw explain in The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy, it was obvious that price controls didn’t work: “Ranchers stopped shipping their cattle to the market, farmers drowned their chickens, and consumers emptied the shelves of supermarkets.”

read more here - http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/remembering-nixons-wage-price-controls

Recently, some have stopped treating cancer patients, due to sequester...hmmm...

"Cancer clinics are turning away thousands of Medicare patients. Blame the sequester."

“If we treated the patients receiving the most expensive drugs, we’d be out of business in six months to a year,” said Jeff Vacirca, chief executive of North Shore Hematology Oncology Associates in New York. “The drugs we’re going to lose money on we’re not going to administer right now.”

The federal government typically pays community oncologists for the average sales price of a chemotherapy drug, plus 6 percent to cover the cost of storing and administering the medication.

read more here - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/03/cancer-clinics-are-turning-away-thousands-of-medicare-patients-blame-the-sequester/?hpid=z1

Price controls?  I wonder how the 'average price' is calculated?  Is it the average price charged in the US?  Canada?  A mix of global prices in developed countries? 

I recall that sometimes, drug prices in the US are many times more expensive than drug prices in Canada, the UK, EU, China, etc.  IIRC, they make their money in the US and everyone gets a big discount...at the expense of patients in the US.  Why aren't these other nations paying their fair share?

How many discounts/rebates do these oncologists get?  If you applied the discounts/rebates/incentive payments to the price, what would the profit be?

What drugs?  Has anyone compared the prices internationally?  Perhaps these clinics could import the drugs at a lower cost?

If the minimum wage keeps pushing the price of labor higher, and reimbursements are less, how will the difference be made up? 

I think there is more to the story that isn't being reported.   What drugs?

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:01:25 PM »

"21 graphs that show America’s health-care prices are ludicrous"

Every year, the International Federation of Health Plans — a global insurance trade association that includes more than 100 insurers in 25 countries — releases survey data showing the prices that insurers are actually paying for different drugs, devices, and medical services in different countries. And every year, the data is shocking.

more here - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/26/21-graphs-that-show-americas-health-care-prices-are-ludicrous/

~~~

"Why an MRI costs $1,080 in America and $280 in France"

In America, Medicare and Medicaid negotiate prices on behalf of their tens of millions of members and, not coincidentally, purchase care at a substantial markdown from the commercial average. But outside that, it’s a free-for-all. Providers largely charge what they can get away with, often offering different prices to different insurers, and an even higher price to the uninsured.

“In my view, health is a business in the United States in quite a different way than it is elsewhere,” says Tom Sackville, who served in Margaret Thatcher’s government and now directs the IFHP. “It’s very much something people make money out of. There isn’t too much embarrassment about that compared to Europe and elsewhere.”

The result is that, unlike in other countries, sellers of health-care services in America have considerable power to set prices, and so they set them quite high. Two of the five most profitable industries in the United States — the pharmaceuticals industry and the medical device industry — sell health care. With margins of almost 20 percent, they beat out even the financial sector for sheer profitability.

The players sitting across the table from them — the health insurers — are not so profitable. In 2009, their profit margins were a mere 2.2 percent. That’s a signal that the sellers have the upper hand over the buyers.
Emphasis added.

read more here - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/15/why-an-mri-costs-1080-in-america-and-280-in-france/

Why isn't big pharma offering to lower prices?  Discounts to patients that cannot pay more out of pocket?

It seems to me, this is an emotional test of the all you can consume Obamacare buffet...

just my humble opinions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.