April 26, 2024, 02:49:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: " ‘Kids Belong to Whole Communities’ "  (Read 881 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: April 10, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »

Why is this national news?  It's not a new idea...PEOPLE in communities have been taking care of others in the community for generations...I believe thousands of years...

National news?  National message?

Last week, MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry appeared in a promotional video for the network where she argued that we have to “break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents” and recognize that “kids belong to whole communities.”

Someone owns kids?  Buys and sells them?

When the flood of vitriolic responses to the ad began, my first reaction was relief. I had spent the entire day grading papers and was relieved that since these children were not my responsibility, I could simply mail the students’ papers to their moms and dads to grade! But of course, that is a ridiculous notion. As a teacher, I have unique responsibilities to the students in my classroom at Tulane University, and I embrace those responsibilities. It is why I love my job.

How many parents embrace their responsibilities?  Send their children to school prepared?  Fed?  Clean? 

How many parents send their kids to school hungry?  Dirty?  Don't check homework or grade papers?

I believe wholeheartedly, and without apology, that we have a collective responsibility to the children of our communities even if we did not conceive and bear them. Of course, parents can and should raise their children with their own values. But they should be able to do so in a community that provides safe places to play, quality food to eat, terrific schools to attend, and economic opportunities to support them. No individual household can do that alone. We have to build that world together.

So those of you who were alarmed by the ad can relax. I have no designs on taking your children…

Maybe she just wants your money?  Squander and waste money on projects that do not better the community?  Children living in poverty?

Where does the community start?  The family.  I think it starts with the individual.  People solving their own problems and not stealing from others.

How many community projects is she involved in?  How has she worked to provide school vouchers for students in her community?  Perhaps she organized a neighborhood watch?

Where does she think the economic opportunities come from?  Government spending and more debt?  Debt slavery? 

Maybe she helps the common people start businesses?  Work to create a park? 

Maybe she thinks economic opportunity just rains down from the sky?

Fundraising? 

Or, is it all about stealing more money from folks that do not live in the community?

read more here - http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/09/msnbc-host-responds-to-criticism-of-kids-belong-to-whole-communities-promo-with-this-bible-verse/

just my humble opinions.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.