April 18, 2024, 11:02:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #61 04/22/13 - 12/03/14  (Read 421520 times)
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »

Hi Monkeys....spent part of the evening texting my sister who lives in St. Louis and was staying in her
basement.  Bad looking weather, but she was okay.  It did make me walk around my new home which has no basement and decided that the master bath is the new tornado shelter.    Have missed you during the move which took longer than expected.  Driving across country with furniture in a rental truck, and two cars following behind, is something you should do when you are very young.  

Hi Mere,

Glad your sister is safe from these storms.  I'm also glad you finished your move.  At least the hard part of your move is done.  Now you can concentrate on the unpacking and organizing your rooms the way your want them.

I made some meatballs for you today  Razz

crazybabyborg
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2013, 12:15:48 AM »

The meatballs look YUMMY, San!  

Speaking of eating (in my case overeating), I found a new exercise regime! Yep, I'm going to go through the streets in my neighborhood doing it......... until the men in white coats come to take me away!  

I just hope I can find the right athletic wear for it. I haven't seen a bead necklace like that in a while........   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o-50GjySwew?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/o-50GjySwew?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:28:49 AM by CBB » Logged
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2013, 07:19:03 AM »

Omg...San's meatballs....!!!  The most wonderful recipe which she makes with a fantastic red sauce unless there are no meatballs left when the sauce is ready.  The recipe is now a word document so that I don't lose it again....Thanks, San   

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »

CBB....I am sitting here laughing and thinking of a large group of ladies prancing down the road with their tight pants, dress jacket and....are those big ole pearls?  Thanks for starting my day....

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »

Hello Mere!  So glad you made the move without much trouble.  I won't ever do it again.  Last time was back in 1990 when we bought our home.  That's been 23 years ago and I told my hubby "No More".

Mere, I thought about you Memorial weekend.  We went to a little place outside of Somerset called Nancy and visited the Mill Spring Battleground and Museum.  Wow, it was really interesting.  It was a beautiful little community.  The cemetery was a Federal cemetery.  All the headstones were white with the black inscriptions for the soldiers.  This place allows the wives to be buried beside their husbands with the same headstone but the soldiers graves all face one way and the wives headstone face the opposite way to distinguish them from serving in the military:

It was very interesting.  It was a Civil War battlefield.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »

Hi Monkeys....spent part of the evening texting my sister who lives in St. Louis and was staying in her
basement.  Bad looking weather, but she was okay.  It did make me walk around my new home which has no basement and decided that the master bath is the new tornado shelter.    Have missed you during the move which took longer than expected.  Driving across country with furniture in a rental truck, and two cars following behind, is something you should do when you are very young.  

Hi Mere,

Glad your sister is safe from these storms.  I'm also glad you finished your move.  At least the hard part of your move is done.  Now you can concentrate on the unpacking and organizing your rooms the way your want them.

Wow, San those look sooooooooooooooo good!  Where's the recipe?

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »

The meatballs look YUMMY, San!  

Speaking of eating (in my case overeating), I found a new exercise regime! Yep, I'm going to go through the streets in my neighborhood doing it......... until the men in white coats come to take me away!  

I just hope I can find the right athletic wear for it. I haven't seen a bead necklace like that in a while........   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o-50GjySwew?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/o-50GjySwew?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

CBB, I don't think I would look like that prancing down the street.  I would not fit in those tight little pants.  Working on it---but a long ways off.  Quitting smoking really messed my weight up.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »

Blue Moon........ I know what you mean about the pants. If I were to put on tight little white stretchy pants like that, I'd be the #1 draft choice for the NFL; as a fullback! Did you make it through the video to the "Gallop"? You have to get through the "Hot to Trot" phase first, but that Gallop had me in tears! I'm with Mere. Picturing a group of ladies coming down the street that way is more than my eyes could handle. They'd look like they needed wings and a fairy wand..........   

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:01:10 AM by CBB » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

Don't miss tonight's Dana Pretzer show at 9pm ET!

crazybabyborg
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2013, 03:25:38 AM »

San! I'm waiting for you to post that meatball recipe!! They look so delish!! In the meantime, I found a recipe a couple of months ago that was awesome and incredibly easy. I fixed it again tonight, so I thought I'd share. I was looking for low carb recipes, and this looked good so I tried it. Whether you're watching carbs, or pair it with rice and bread, it's awesome! Tarragon isn't my favorite herb, so I cut back on it a bit. The first time I made it, I didn't have any chicken stock on hand, so I opened a can of chicken noodle soup and used the broth, but it turned out great! The mustard is a dijon mustard.  Here's the video and recipe:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSPjUp_1-OY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MSPjUp_1-OY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (6 ounces each)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup dry white wine, or chicken broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh)

Directions

Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate; keep warm.

Pour wine into hot skillet; cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Whisk in cream, mustard, and tarragon. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Pour any accumulated chicken juices from plate into sauce. Right before serving, drizzle cream sauce over chicken.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:34:29 AM by CBB » Logged
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »

I have been praying for all of the Monkeys in harms way due to the weather.  I have also been praying for each of the issues each of you have expressed a need for prayers for, and also for those who need prayers or positive thoughts sent out and have not been able to ask for what they need for any reason at all.  You are all in my prayers for each and every one of your needs spoken and unspoken.  Please stay safe (I know you would if you could, I just don't know a better way of phrasing my request to you).  You have become family and friends over the years and I have come to know and love so many of you.  I think the reason this bunch of Monkeys is so special is due to Klaas' watchful eye over us here in Monkeyland.  I also believe Muffy had/has a lot to do with it as she is amazing and seems to be everywhere at once.  She was and continues to be amazing.  I have yet to figure out how she does it.  Of course, all the Moderators do what they can to keep the place running smoothly, but Muffy,  I do believe, is really triplets.  She knows the rules inside and out and also knows how to fix anything that comes her way.

Muffy, I do not say it often enough, but you rock, even now, while you are in retirement.  You are the most diehard retired person I have ever known.  My life is better for having known you.  I should have said this before.  You have been on my mind and I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you.

I am thankful for all the Mods, each for their own special reasons, they are unique and each brings a wonderful part of themselves to the group.  In addition to the Mods, of course, is our fearless leader, Klaas, who is one of the most amazing people on the planet.

Today the bee is on my mind with all the lovely flowers blooming in my area, I feel the need to sing her praises on this beautiful spring day.  I imagine Muffy, busy bee that she is, humming along as she buzzes from flower to flower making the world a more beautiful place.  That's how I imagine my flowers get here.  How about yours?

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:59 AM »

Does anyone have to transport a family member who needs a wheelchair and how do you do it?  Thanks.

I believe in miracles!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2013, 05:33:35 AM »

Today is D-Day

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Omaha Beach

Date
6 June 1944

Sainte-Honorine-des-Pertes, Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, Vierville-sur-Mer, in France

Result
American victory

Belligerents

United States
 United Kingdom (Naval Support)  Germany

Commanders and leaders

United States Omar Bradley
United States Norman Cota
United States Clarence R. Huebner
United States George A. Taylor Germany Dietrich Kraiss
Germany Ernst Goth

Strength

43,250 infantry
 2 battleships
 3 cruisers
 12 destroyers
 105 other ships 7,800 infantry
 8 artillery bunkers
 35 pillboxes
 4 artillery pieces
 6 mortar pits
 18 anti-tank guns
 45 rocket launcher sites
 85 machine gun sites
 6 tank turrets

Casualties and losses

3,000 1,200

Operation Overlord
Invasion of Normandy
  D-Day assault map of the Normandy region and the north-western coast of France. Utah Beach and Omaha Beach are separated by the Douve River, whose mouth is clear in the coastline notch (or "corner") of the map.
Omaha Beach is the code name for one of the five sectors of the Allied invasion of German-occupied France in the Normandy landings on 6 June 1944, during World War II. The beach is located on the coast of Normandy, France, facing the English Channel, and is 5 miles (8 km) long, from east of Sainte-Honorine-des-Pertes to west of Vierville-sur-Mer on the right bank of the Douve River estuary. Landings here were necessary in order to link up the British landings to the east at Gold Beach with the American landing to the west at Utah Beach, thus providing a continuous lodgement on the Normandy coast of the Bay of the Seine. Taking Omaha was to be the responsibility of United States Army troops, with sea transport and naval artillery support provided by the U.S. Navy and elements of the British Royal Navy.

On D-Day, the untested 29th Infantry Division, joined by the veteran 1st Infantry Division and nine companies of U.S. Army Rangers redirected from Pointe du Hoc, were to assault the western half of the beach. The battle-hardened 1st Infantry Division was given the eastern half. The initial assault waves, consisting of tanks, infantry, and combat engineer forces, were carefully planned to reduce the coastal defenses and allow the larger ships of the follow-up waves to land.

Seems somehow appropriate I am helping lay to rest a veteran of this invasion.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2013, 05:59:46 AM »

Does anyone have to transport a family member who needs a wheelchair and how do you do it?  Thanks.

Hi, Miss Bear!   

I used to have to get my Grandmother around when she was in a wheelchair. She was able to pull herself up (with help) and could stand on her feet while holding on to something, so I'm not sure the way I got her in and out of the car would be helpful to you. I would open the car door first, and then wheel her up close, facing the door interior, and lock the wheelchair wheels. Then, I'd come around in front, lower the footrests, and help lift her out of the chair. She would hold onto the car door arm rest, which allowed her to help me pull herself up and out of the chair (my butt was up against the door, so it was steady). Next, I sort of pushed the wheelchair back a little and held on to her as she slightly turned and sat down on the passenger seat. Lastly, I picked up her feet/legs and guided them inside the car. She could help me with that as long as she could hold on to the door frame of the car. Getting her out was basically the same thing in reverse. Hope that helps, Bearly, but I'm not sure how extensive the limitations are you're dealing with. I will tell you this....... please protect your own back. I still struggle with injury from years of lifting her. The car was easier than lifting her from a fall, and there were many of those. That scenario is much harder, but we developed a strategy that worked, even for that. Good luck hon, and I know that your help means the world to someone!    
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2013, 06:14:03 AM »

basement.  Bad looking weather, but she was okay.  It did make me walk around my new home which has no basement and decided that the master bath is the new tornado shelter.     Have missed you during the move which took longer than expected.  Driving across country with furniture in a rental truck, and two cars following behind, is something you should do when you are very young. 

Mere,

You have been in my thoughts.  I was wondering how you made out and how you even made it to the starting point with the packing done before you even had to go.  You are one brave Monkey!

I believe in miracles!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2013, 06:37:10 AM »

Hi, Miss Bear!   

I used to have to get my Grandmother around when she was in a wheelchair. She was able to pull herself up (with help) and could stand on her feet while holding on to something, so I'm not sure the way I got her in and out of the car would be helpful to you. I would open the car door first, and then wheel her up close, facing the door interior, and lock the wheelchair wheels. Then, I'd come around in front, lower the footrests, and help lift her out of the chair. She would hold onto the car door arm rest, which allowed her to help me pull herself up and out of the chair (my butt was up against the door, so it was steady). Next, I sort of pushed the wheelchair back a little and held on to her as she slightly turned and sat down on the passenger seat. Lastly, I picked up her feet/legs and guided them inside the car. She could help me with that as long as she could hold on to the door frame of the car. Getting her out was basically the same thing in reverse. Hope that helps, Bearly, but I'm not sure how extensive the limitations are you're dealing with. I will tell you this....... please protect your own back. I still struggle with injury from years of lifting her. The car was easier than lifting her from a fall, and there were many of those. That scenario is much harder, but we developed a strategy that worked, even for that. Good luck hon, and I know that your help means the world to someone!    
Great advice CBB.
Bearly, that is basically how I transfer George.  I did buy a lighter wheelchair for transport, because the one he uses in the house is so heavy to lift in the trunk.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »

Hi Mere,

Does everyone fry their meatballs plain or all mixed before they put them in the gravy or do they cook them in the gravy?  Everyone does it differently.  I add gravy to the raw meat  along with eggs, grated cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, grated onions, herbs, spices, breadcrumbs, etc. and then cook them in the gravy until they are nice and tender and cooked through, then skim the fat off the gravy, if there is any.  I like them soft and tender.  What about you?

OMG!  I just made myself so hungry!  It is hard to go out to a restaurant and get good meatballs, they have to be home made, they are just not the same.  You have to taste the raw meat with the raw eggs and all the ingredients in it to get just the right taste before you cook them. I can't believe I never got sick from all the raw meat and eggs I tasted over time, to get that perfect taste. Mmmmm!

I believe in miracles!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »

Hi Bearly....so nice to see you.  I think I could write a book about this move, especially now that I am older and everything seems a bit harder.  However, with friends and some planning, and with two rental truck moves, I am now in the new house.

The new house is actually sort of old and was owned and maintained by an elderly gentleman.  Every room had wallpaper....now removed and painted.  There is a large living area with wood, real wood, walls.  I haven't decided yet.....paint or no paint. 

New things are happening every day, and it is nice to be so near my daughter and her husband.
I had lunch yesterday with friends from high school, and the new washer and dryer arrived, so if I can find
the laundry supplies, I am ready to start this morning.

By the way, I have all the supplies for "San's meatballs and red sauce" but I am still looking for the recipe which stayed on my bulletin board.  I think I have it in a word document if San will let me share it. 

Nice to see everyone.....hugs.....

crazybabyborg
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »

Hi Bearly....so nice to see you.  I think I could write a book about this move, especially now that I am older and everything seems a bit harder.  However, with friends and some planning, and with two rental truck moves, I am now in the new house.

The new house is actually sort of old and was owned and maintained by an elderly gentleman.  Every room had wallpaper....now removed and painted.  There is a large living area with wood, real wood, walls.  I haven't decided yet.....paint or no paint. 

New things are happening every day, and it is nice to be so near my daughter and her husband.
I had lunch yesterday with friends from high school, and the new washer and dryer arrived, so if I can find
the laundry supplies, I am ready to start this morning.

By the way, I have all the supplies for "San's meatballs and red sauce" but I am still looking for the recipe which stayed on my bulletin board.  I think I have it in a word document if San will let me share it. 

Nice to see everyone.....hugs.....

HUGS back atcha, Mere!! The move sounds like a good one for you, and that makes my day!   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »

My Mom used a simple manual wheel chair carrier that mounted on the back of her car while when my late father was wheel chair bound.  He was able to swing his legs out of the car and she helped him into the wheel chair.  Later on, he grew too weak to do this and the family chipped in and we found a good used van adapted for wheel chair use.  I'm not too sure which model she had or what brand, but here are some links. There are very simple tote models (which are great back savers & not so expensive) on up to fancier versions.

Hitch Mounted Carriers:

http://www.a1-medical-supplies.net/lifts-for-outside-of-car/

http://www.wheelchaircarrier.com/  She used a low cost tote carrier like Tilt N Tote Model 001.  You can see photos of it without the chair.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-HOMEMEDICALSUPPL/-strse-895/Wheelchair-Carrier,-Caddy-Model,/Detail.bok

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.