March 28, 2024, 01:26:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #61 04/22/13 - 12/03/14  (Read 420786 times)
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »

Yuck just watched a bunch of crows chase a snake out of one of the trees on our property.  The birds were screaming and when I went to the back door to look out and see what was going on. Saw the snake drop out of the tree and take off across the yard. Lost it when it went behind our metal shed. 

It was about 4 feet long and black or dark gray. 

The snake must have been after the crows eggs or baby birds.  It's really interesting (to say the least!) you witnessed this.     It sounds like you have an aversion to snakes, like Indiana Jones had.  "Snakes.  Why'd it have to be snakes?"      I've been told we should protect snakes, as many are harmless and necessary for the ecosystem.  Huh?  What?  I consider all snakes dangerous, because I could hurt myself just trying to get away from them.   
Muffy, any idea what kind of snake she may have seen from the description GE gave?  Only snakes we ex-Californians are familiar with are rattlers and gopher snakes....I've been told  the black ones are anything from Moccasins to black Mumbas although I think they were pulling my leg knowing how terrified I am of snakes.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »

Yuck just watched a bunch of crows chase a snake out of one of the trees on our property.  The birds were screaming and when I went to the back door to look out and see what was going on. Saw the snake drop out of the tree and take off across the yard. Lost it when it went behind our metal shed. 

The snake must have been after the crows eggs or baby birds.  It's really interesting (to say the least!) you witnessed this.     It sounds like you have an aversion to snakes, like Indiana Jones had.  "Snakes.  Why'd it have to be snakes?"      I've been told we should protect snakes, as many are harmless and necessary for the ecosystem.  Huh?  What?  I consider all snakes dangerous, because I could hurt myself just trying to get away from them.   

No joke Muffy I was very glad to be in the house.  It was some kind of garden snake I guess. It wasn't a rattler or anything poisonous. From what I could tell when I looked them up.  The falling out of the tree is what creeped me out.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »

Babs, I'd need to get more of a description of the snake to identify it.  It could be a Rat Snake, which is non-venomous and eats (of course) rats and small prey. But they just love eggs and are excellent climbers.  Just when you thought you were being careful about snakes on the ground, you realize they can also be in the trees.    Did the snake have any other identifying marks such as blotches etc?  That would be helpful to know.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »

No joke Muffy I was very glad to be in the house.  It was some kind of garden snake I guess. It wasn't a rattler or anything poisonous. From what I could tell when I looked them up.  The falling out of the tree is what creeped me out.

Well, speaking of things in trees...

My younger brother was out patrolling in the dead of night in the hill country and he stopped to relieve himself behind a tree and heard a noise.  At first he thought it was an owl or some other bird, but it was (are you ready for this?) a porcupine.  Up.  In. The. Fork. of. a. Tree.     Said he was quite surprised. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »

My younger brother was out patrolling in the dead of night in the hill country and he stopped to relieve himself behind a tree and heard a noise.  At first he thought it was an owl or some other bird, but it was (are you ready for this?) a porcupine.  Up.  In. The. Fork. of. a. Tree.     Said he was quite surprised. 

Oh my Muffy That is funny   Glad he didn't get any other surprises.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »

Muffy From what I could see it looked all black with a pattern on it's body. When I looked up snakes for North Texas it could have been a black rat snake. From where I was it looked shiny I didn't see any other markings but I was watching the birds chase it. I am sure it went under the metal shed. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »

I'll bet your pet snake "Blackie" has been living under the shed for a few years, enjoying some sort of food source nearby.  If you feed cats outside, or put out bird feeders and such, that attracts mice.  I've learned to follow the food chain when dealing with critters out in the yard.   

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »

Muffy From what I could see it looked all black with a pattern on it's body. When I looked up snakes for North Texas it could have been a black rat snake. From where I was it looked shiny I didn't see any other markings but I was watching the birds chase it. I am sure it went under the metal shed. 

Look like this?  This is a Black Rat Snake:

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »

The last picture is what it looked like. Thank you Klaas.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
crazybabyborg
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »

I HATES SNAKES!! Gives me the creeps just looking at the pictures!!

I've heard that excited bird noise before, and I know before I even look, what it is!

GE......... I hope you can rid your yard from it ASAP, so you can walk around without looking for it!!     
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »

The last picture is what it looked like. Thank you Klaas.
Surprised you have any birds (nests) in your trees GE with all the cats!  Of course no one has ever said that crows would worry about a couple of dozen cats!
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »

Good Morning Monkey's,

Green Eyes.

The only thing that deters snakes is a fence 

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/snakes/deterring.html

Fencing

The only way to absolutely keep snakes out is with fencing. Snake-proof fencing can be made by modifying a normal chain-link, picket, or split-rail fence. Attach 24-inch-high hardware cloth (1/4-inch weave) or aluminum flashing to the outside bottom of the fence. Bury the bottom of the hardware cloth or flashing 2 to 4 inches into the soil. Gates should have the same snake-proofing and be kept closed to be effective.

The fence has to go all the way around the yard. Snakes tend to travel along a fence rather than go over it. If the fence ends or has an opening, the snakes will enter the yard at this point. Fill any mammal burrows that appear near the fence.

If there is no existing fence, aluminum flashing could be used to encircle the yard. The flashing should be 24-inches high and buried 2 to 4 inches into the soil.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »

Thank you Seahorse that's good to know. We have lived here 6 years and it's the first snake I have seen. We have lots of cats here some feral some not. They have done a wonderful job of keeping unwanted critters away. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »

My heart goes out to all of those who have been affected by hurricanes in Oklahoma.  At least 37 are dead and there is horrible damage.  Many prayers going out to all of you.

an angelic monkey

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »

These tornadoes are just terrible, they seem to get worse each year.   I live about 60 miles from the Oklahoma border and can see many of these storms forming here in Texas heading north.  We are fortunate that they have stayed to the west of us .....No one can be prepared for this loss of life and destruction.  Mother nature is being extremely unkind!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »

These tornadoes are just terrible, they seem to get worse each year.   I live about 60 miles from the Oklahoma border and can see many of these storms forming here in Texas heading north.  We are fortunate that they have stayed to the west of us .....No one can be prepared for this loss of life and destruction.  Mother nature is being extremely unkind!

That must be so frightening to be so close you can see them.  Fortunately for you, they are going in another direction, but unfortunately for others, they are right in the path of destruction.  They are in my thoughts and prayers.  There is just no way to be prepared for the loss of life and mass chaos that accompanies these storms.  God bless all those affected and their loved ones. 

I wish there was more we could do to protect people and their property who are in the path of these nightmares.  I know people say things are replaceable, but when you lose all you own and don't have a place to lie your head, keep your family safe, or store or cook food, you realize things have importance in keeping people alive.

an angelic monkey

I believe in miracles!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »

Thank you Seahorse that's good to know. We have lived here 6 years and it's the first snake I have seen. We have lots of cats here some feral some not. They have done a wonderful job of keeping unwanted critters away. 

Then get him, GE, kill him!!   

A naturalist told me, years ago, that snakes don't travel far from where they hatch. I took that piece of information to heart and got rid of each one I saw (well, I didn't personally do it, but I made sure that somebody did). That was over 20 years ago, and while I can't say that I've never seen one since, it's very rare. The first summer after I bought this house, they started clearing the land behind the house to build more homes. We got rid of 26 snakes from the yard that summer. I was an absolute basket case. I wanted to move. I stepped on one in the backyard BAREFOOTED! I was wearing a bracelet, and jumped so high and fast that the bracelet just suspended in mid air and I was in the house before it hit the ground!    It was right out of a cartoon!

I never liked snakes, but that summer made me terrified of them. They were never where you were looking. They always surprised you (my heart would just stop). There's something about a snake, to me, that is just freakish. They have no legs; they shouldn't move, much less climb and jump! 

Keep the cats, GE! I'm glad you have them!!   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »

Gosh...... the damage done in Oklahoma is just heartbreaking. They've revised the number of deaths... downward, thankfully, but still, many have lost loved ones. Right now there are 9 of the known dead that are children. Sending prayers to all who have been impacted.

There's a thread in "News of the Day" here:   http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=14330.20
crazybabyborg
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »

Oh My!! I had missed this, Muffy!! Now that's a prickly situation!!   
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »

Nobody can ever replace the    She's the best  

I couldn't agree with you more, Klaas! I wasn't sure if it was something that Muffy wanted acknowledged so I hadn't said anything, but I'm so glad to be able to say "Thank you, Miss Bee!" No Monkey Mod has ever been more dedicated and committed to making sure things ran smoothly and your hard work will be sorely missed!  

I'll always remember Muffy riding shotgun on one harrowing night........you know exactly what I'm talking about Miss Bee!  

Oh my gosh yes, CBB!!  What a crazy night that was!    I think it was about four years ago when "Bella from Hella" cut loose.  And I believe it was you that gave her the name.  

LOL! To this day, John still cracks up about me sitting so intently at the computer after warning him not to distract me, and then I suddenly yelled out, " HUH-UH! I'll be d#@*ed if you're gonna pull this crap in the Prayer Thread!"  ROFL!! Anytime I get stern and dig in my heels by saying "No", he just grins and teases, "Not in the prayer thread, huh?"

Yep, I'll always remember Bella from Hella, and you calmly sitting in the watch tower picking off posts! Love Ya' Miss Bee!

I remember that night.  I remember figuring out that if I just sat on her thread, I could get the posts a=right when they were posted.  You thought she was gone, but I was merely knocking them off at the beginning, I couldn't tell you because if I unmanned my battle station, a post would get through.  I only came in at the end, you had been battling her for a while.

I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.