March 28, 2024, 10:40:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #61 04/22/13 - 12/03/14  (Read 420815 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »

Don't miss the Dana Pretzer show tonight at 9pm ET!

http://scaredmonkeysradio.com/radio.m3u

Thanks Klaas!   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »

Think I may have to try this for 4th of July!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »

I fell asleep this afternoon and just woke up...I thought it 5:15 AM and almost started the coffee pot LOL!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »

I fell asleep this afternoon and just woke up...I thought it 5:15 AM and almost started the coffee pot LOL!

Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

That's funny!

I just spent the day digging up and potting some mums.  My mum's have taken over the front of my house.  I, so far, have 10 pots filled with mum's.  two of my sister-in-laws will get these pots.  They had spread so much they were trying to grown under the driveway and the sidewalk!!!!

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2013, 07:29:49 AM »

Bearly...this whole event worries me.  I hope that you are totally well now.  Be sure you always tell medical people that you had this reaction.  Hugs.

Blue Moon.....that is one big ole tornado.  Now that I am without a basement and surrounded by tall pine trees, I pay big attention to the weather reports. 

I am adjusting again to the deep South, and if I could just unpack and put away the last 30 boxes and hang the last 20 pictures, I would be "home".

Daughter and son-in-law have been wonderful.  We are now going to change out all the faucets and shower heads as I think they are about 30 years old....lol.  There was no washer and dryer and an old
refrigerator....so those were delivered last week.  I am trying to learn to wash with a washer that provides "low water levels".  I hear that is standard in California.  The frig is wonderful.  Been a long time
since I had one this nice. 

I am making chicken and sausage gumbo today although daughter tells me that I can get the base from the grocery and add ingredients....will see how that works.

So nice to check in here with friends....

Hi Mere, glad you are adjusting to your new home.  It sounds to me that you got a new wash machine that requires HE detergent.  When you use regular detergent it makes a ton of suds and then the suds message will come on.  Make sure you get the HE detergents.  Makes a big difference.

http://laundry.about.com/od/ecofriendlylaundry/a/HEdetergent.htm

Hi Monkey's,

This detergent brought back good memories Smile

I remember washing dishes with Tide powder detergent when I was a young monkey. 

I just loved the Tide scent, when I swished the dishes around in the water.

Have a good and safe 4th.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »

I have a front loading washer & have always used an HE detergent Tide Free because of a family members sensitivity to some detergents.  I use about one third of the suggested amount on the bottle or less and get good results. I also do not use liquid fabric softener in my washer, as it tends to encourage mold growth and because my family doesn't like the strong flowery or fruity smells of  softeners.  I fill the softener tray instead with white vinegar.  It takes maybe a third of a cup.  I occasionally use a dryer sheet, (Seventh Generation which is unscented).  They can be reused several times, btw. 

I like my front loader a lot, because it uses only 15 gallons of water vs 35 gallons in a conventional washer.  I wash a lot of dogs beds, small rugs, blankets and etc due to my pets, and it does a good job with that.  No worries about them winding around an agitator and/or going off balance.
My first front loader was a Frigidaire Affinity, and now I have a Maytag.  I was thinking next time about buying a machine like San has. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

On the subject of washing machines, I was reminded of something that happened to my little sister years ago.    She and her family were living in a trailer on their land while they built their house.  She had three kids at the time, and no room for a washer in the little trailer, so her husband put the washer on the back porch, which was sort of a platform he built with a step down. Nothing fancy.   Anyway, one time she went out, got her load of laundry going and went back in.  When she came back out, the washing machine was down off the porch (a couple feet down) laying on it's side, still running but off balance of course, making this crazy woompah woompah woompah sound (as she put it).  I guess it walked it's self right off the porch.  The best part of the story was watching and hearing my sister tell it, as she has a wonderful sense of humor.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »

Hi Monkeys.....I just love the washing machine stories. 

I still have the Tide he detergent (thanks San).  I use less than they say is necessary.  The washer spits a bit of water on the clothes....unless I add a big
ole beach towel to trick it and make it think that the underwear is heavier than it really is....lol....then I get a few inches of water.

Muffy I don't used the fabric softener either...did not know about the mold.  I
use the softener sheet in the dryer.

I am adjusting to the new house and its odds and ends.

Let me tell you another thing that happened......one of the potties was running when I was not aware and it used a huge amount of water....6 times the amount of last month.....and I paid 7 times the normal amount to the water company.
The new flapper cost $5.95....lolol...!!!  The lady at the water company said that
a running potty can use up to 40,000 extra gallons of water a month.....wow.

Oh...and my favorite....do you all know about mosquitoes in the South????  Millions of them...!  I got the mega bug zapper and it zapped so many in 10 days that the bulb burned and the unit would not work.  Took it back to Lowe's and
they gave me another one.  Now watching closely so that I can clean out the
zapper every few days....but I think the bugs are talking to each other and I do not have nearly as many.

Have a great holiday.   

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

I check my toilets for leaks with food coloring.  Even a small leak can add up over time. I have rental property and check them too.  And of course, if I see a faucet dripping I repair it. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Detect-Toilet-Leaks
How to Detect Toilet Leaks

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

Nutt I have done that. Waking up not sure if it's morning or night or few times.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »

My DH did that yesterday, except he thought he'd overslept for work so he was in a panic until I straightened him out!

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »

I check my toilets for leaks with food coloring.  Even a small leak can add up over time. I have rental property and check them too.  And of course, if I see a faucet dripping I repair it. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Detect-Toilet-Leaks
How to Detect Toilet Leaks

Muffy...thanks so much for that link and the ones attached to it.....lots of
information....and no more leaks.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »

seahorse....I missed thanking you for the detergent advice....
I did the first batch with my old regular Tide and used less of it....but it still made
bubbles like you see in some of the comedy movies.  I washed the batch again and again before I got rid of all the detergent.....but the clothes were spotless....lol.

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »

I have a front loading washer & have always used an HE detergent Tide Free because of a family members sensitivity to some detergents.  I use about one third of the suggested amount on the bottle or less and get good results. I also do not use liquid fabric softener in my washer, as it tends to encourage mold growth and because my family doesn't like the strong flowery or fruity smells of  softeners.  I fill the softener tray instead with white vinegar.  It takes maybe a third of a cup.  I occasionally use a dryer sheet, (Seventh Generation which is unscented).  They can be reused several times, btw. 

I like my front loader a lot, because it uses only 15 gallons of water vs 35 gallons in a conventional washer.  I wash a lot of dogs beds, small rugs, blankets and etc due to my pets, and it does a good job with that.  No worries about them winding around an agitator and/or going off balance.
My first front loader was a Frigidaire Affinity, and now I have a Maytag.  I was thinking next time about buying a machine like San has. 

Muffy, I think the mold growth happened to my last machine.  I would leave the door open when my wash was done because I was smelling a funny smell.  Not that it was overwhelming but as soon as I smell something I start sniffing around like my dog  .  I'm going to start using dryer sheets to see if I like them.  I do like Seventh Generation products so I will give them a try.

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2013, 10:00:07 PM »

On the subject of washing machines, I was reminded of something that happened to my little sister years ago.    She and her family were living in a trailer on their land while they built their house.  She had three kids at the time, and no room for a washer in the little trailer, so her husband put the washer on the back porch, which was sort of a platform he built with a step down. Nothing fancy.   Anyway, one time she went out, got her load of laundry going and went back in.  When she came back out, the washing machine was down off the porch (a couple feet down) laying on it's side, still running but off balance of course, making this crazy woompah woompah woompah sound (as she put it).  I guess it walked it's self right off the porch.  The best part of the story was watching and hearing my sister tell it, as she has a wonderful sense of humor.   

When I had my front loader I got the attachment with the drawer on the bottom so it would make it a little higher.  I found that the attachment would make my machine off balance and if I didn't have them in a closed area they would wander all over my kitchen.

I never really used the drawers and would recommend that if you are thinking of getting them don't get the extra drawers.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »

Hi Monkeys.....I just love the washing machine stories. 

I still have the Tide he detergent (thanks San).  I use less than they say is necessary.  The washer spits a bit of water on the clothes....unless I add a big
ole beach towel to trick it and make it think that the underwear is heavier than it really is....lol....then I get a few inches of water.

Muffy I don't used the fabric softener either...did not know about the mold.  I
use the softener sheet in the dryer.

I am adjusting to the new house and its odds and ends.

Let me tell you another thing that happened......one of the potties was running when I was not aware and it used a huge amount of water....6 times the amount of last month.....and I paid 7 times the normal amount to the water company.
The new flapper cost $5.95....lolol...!!!  The lady at the water company said that
a running potty can use up to 40,000 extra gallons of water a month.....wow.

Oh...and my favorite....do you all know about mosquitoes in the South????  Millions of them...!  I got the mega bug zapper and it zapped so many in 10 days that the bulb burned and the unit would not work.  Took it back to Lowe's and
they gave me another one.  Now watching closely so that I can clean out the
zapper every few days....but I think the bugs are talking to each other and I do not have nearly as many.

Have a great holiday.   

Hi Mere, wow is right.  Glad you found the problem.  I really really hate mosquitoes.  I was brushing my dog outside for about 10 minutes last night.  I came the house and I had bites all over my legs.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »

Here is a question for everyone.

As you all know I have four Australian Shepherds.  Two of the dogs have thicker coats then the others.  Especially one of my females around her hind area.  My sister decided she was going to cut around that area because her hair was too long.  I think the hair grew back even thicker.  With the summer now here I think it is bothering her.

Is there a particular comb or scissors  that would maybe thin out that area.  Something so simple that even a challenged monkey could do it.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »

Muffy, I think the mold growth happened to my last machine.  I would leave the door open when my wash was done because I was smelling a funny smell.  Not that it was overwhelming but as soon as I smell something I start sniffing around like my dog  .  I'm going to start using dryer sheets to see if I like them.  I do like Seventh Generation products so I will give them a try.

I was aware that sometimes front loaders could have a mold problem.  So, from the very start I was proactive in making sure I did the right things.  But alas....
I got mold in my Frigidaire Affinity due to a design flaw.  I always used HE detergent, white vinegar for rinse, left the door open, wiped the inside of the door and around the rubber seal, I cleaned it with Affresh tablets each month, and ran a load or two on hot water with bleach monthly etc.    I researched and found others with machines like mine had the same problem.  The rubber seal was designed so it held water etc.  I called them, wrote them, just wore them down.  At first they tried the usual stuff to deny the problem.  Then they said they would send a guy over to take a look to see if it was their problem, and if it wasn't, I would have to pay the service call.  What?!  Back to bugging them again.  They decided they would send me a new rubber seal, since not only was mine sorta moldy, it had the design flaw, where it would hold water.  My husband and I replaced the seal, and whooh!  that was a tough one.  Luckily, no one lost a finger.  You know what?  The mold started coming back.  Once it's in a machine, you have to basically take the whole thing apart and clean it inside.  I found out about the last part after we had changed the rubber seal.  I ended up selling the matching dryer and gave them the washer free, and I explained to them about the washer, and the man that took it said he would take it apart and fix it.  I don't know if he ever did or used it till it got too moldy.

Anyway, I bought a Maytag front loader and dryer and so far so good.  My washer and dryer fit into an area on the way to the garage and it's a pass through.  It was designed for top loading machines, because it gets tricky if you are standing there with the dryer open pulling stuff out and someone walks in through the garage walk through door.  I'm able to leave the washer door ajar, since people can walk past it.   The area above the side by side washer and dryer has oak cabinets above, and across is a built in sink and more oak cabinets.  I didn't want to tear the whole room out, so I had to find a set that fit in there, and it ended up being the Maytag.  Some washers are so HUGE!  I wouldn't be able to open the door from the garage.  That's part of the reason next time I might buy a washer like yours, San.  A top loader with no agitator.  I'm so glad not to have my clothes torn up with an agitator.  I also like my washer, because I can put my unmentionables in a zip bag and put them on what's akin to a hand wash cycle.  So far, I've never had any bent underwires 

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »

I was aware that sometimes front loaders could have a mold problem.  So, from the very start I was proactive in making sure I did the right things.  But alas....
I got mold in my Frigidaire Affinity due to a design flaw.  I always used HE detergent, white vinegar for rinse, left the door open, wiped the inside of the door and around the rubber seal, I cleaned it with Affresh tablets each month, and ran a load or two on hot water with bleach monthly etc.    I researched and found others with machines like mine had the same problem.  The rubber seal was designed so it held water etc.  I called them, wrote them, just wore them down.  At first they tried the usual stuff to deny the problem.  Then they said they would send a guy over to take a look to see if it was their problem, and if it wasn't, I would have to pay the service call.  What?!  Back to bugging them again.  They decided they would send me a new rubber seal, since not only was mine sorta moldy, it had the design flaw, where it would hold water.  My husband and I replaced the seal, and whooh!  that was a tough one.  Luckily, no one lost a finger.  You know what?  The mold started coming back.  Once it's in a machine, you have to basically take the whole thing apart and clean it inside.  I found out about the last part after we had changed the rubber seal.  I ended up selling the matching dryer and gave them the washer free, and I explained to them about the washer, and the man that took it said he would take it apart and fix it.  I don't know if he ever did or used it till it got too moldy.

Anyway, I bought a Maytag front loader and dryer and so far so good.  My washer and dryer fit into an area on the way to the garage and it's a pass through.  It was designed for top loading machines, because it gets tricky if you are standing there with the dryer open pulling stuff out and someone walks in through the garage walk through door.  I'm able to leave the washer door ajar, since people can walk past it.   The area above the side by side washer and dryer has oak cabinets above, and across is a built in sink and more oak cabinets.  I didn't want to tear the whole room out, so I had to find a set that fit in there, and it ended up being the Maytag.  Some washers are so HUGE!  I wouldn't be able to open the door from the garage.  That's part of the reason next time I might buy a washer like yours, San.  A top loader with no agitator.  I'm so glad not to have my clothes torn up with an agitator.  I also like my washer, because I can put my unmentionables in a zip bag and put them on what's akin to a hand wash cycle.  So far, I've never had any bent underwires 

Muffy, I like my new washer because it is more quieter than my other one.  That's one of the reasons I got rid of the agitator because it would wear on my clothes.  I put my delicate clothes in a mesh bag and they come out just fine.  This one particular machine doesn't say delicate cycle it says baby cycle which is good enough for me.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »

Here is a picture of all four of my dogs.  We really have one more but my brother adopted him.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.