March 29, 2024, 02:28:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #61 04/22/13 - 12/03/14  (Read 420837 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »

A note on those Seventh Generation Dryer Sheets I use and San mentioned trying:

The first time I opened the box with the dryer sheets, they looked like brown waxed paper with perforated holes.  I wondered what the heck?  However, they work just fine.  I use the same one several times with no problem.  Of course, by the second or third use they look like a wadded up piece of paper sack  but they still work   

My family has gotten so used to unscented laundry products, when I sent my son's big comforter out to be cleaned (even too big for my front loader) we had to hang it outside for a couple of days to air in the sunlight because it had a sweet, flowery/fruity odor to it and it was almost over powering.  I can still smell the detergent or softener they used if I hold it near my face.  If I want my bedding to smell nice, I just spritz a bit of natural lavender water on it. 

What about the dryer balls you throw in the dryer and then there is no paper or smell?

Gotta have my scents.  I definitely am a candidate for scent therapy, and it works!  I use lavender on all the bed things and towels and bathroom rugs and fresh air on everything else.

sunny

I tried the dryer balls a few years ago and ended up donating them to the Salvation Army.  Some folks may swear by them, but for me, using white vinegar in the softener tray and using the Seventh Generation Unscented Dryer Sheets if needed (can be used over and over) work better.

The problem with perfumes and scents is that some people are very sensitive to them.  Those prone to migraines, asthma, compromised immune systems such as chemo/oncology patients, and  for some with Tourette's Syndrome a blast of perfume or scents can set them back. Scents can trigger headaches, nausea, breathing problems etc.   One SIL works in a doctor's office and they aren't allowed to wear perfume to work.

Then there's my other  SIL  which the last time I was there, had 3 scentsy's going at the same time in  small open floor plan room, along with a glade oil burner in the entry way, and one in the guest bath.  The kicker was, she had sprinkled this potpourri stuff all in the carpet too. It's a brand new house, so the carpet, the paint, cabinetry finishes etc smells are there too.   My son and I went to visit right after they bought the house and we had to leave soon after because he got such a bad migraine.  We ended up staying in a hotel.
My mom and her friend went to visit  later that week and they had to leave within a few minutes.  Mom was undergoing chemo and has copd.  It was just too much.  My brother, who is married to the SIL with all the scentsy's has no sense of smell because of an accident years ago.  He's had a lot of feed back from friends and family so he's been talking with his wife about the scents. She says she wants her house to smell good.  I wonder if she has a very diminished sense of smell, because even people without sensitivities are having a hard time with it.  I have to roll down the windows in their car if I go with them anywhere, because it smells like someone just dumped perfume in there.   I grow patchouli, rosemary, scented geranium, lavender etc. in my garden for the pure joy of their scent.  I've made dream pillows for friends and family with the lavender for those that enjoy them.  Do you have one of those, Bearly?  I like lavender myself.  MMMMMM !   I'm not anti scent, just not a fan of over kill.  I enjoy simmering a bit of cinnamon stick, or lemons etc. in the house.  I find if I clean the house, it smells nice. Instead of air freshener, I put a small bowl of white vinegar down, and the stink is gone.   I use white vinegar, lemons, baking soda and such and air it out by opening the windows.  Soap and water works great.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2013, 08:24:50 AM »

Are you looking for something cool and refreshing to drink  this summer?  Beyond the regular iced tea, my family and I have been enjoying cucumber water, lemon water, mint water & ginger tea and sometimes all of those together or various combinations of the ingredients.  To make the cucumber, lemon water or mint water, it's as simple as slicing up some and adding it to your glass of water.  But it's really good if you slice it up, add it to a pitcher of water and let it sit at least 10 minutes in the refrigerator, or even better, overnight!  

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cucumber-Water

http://www.fitsugar.com/Detox-Lemon-Cucumber-Ginger-Mint-Water-25695903

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mIkw4NwDFY
Making Mint Infused Water
Video 1:02

For ginger, I first peel a good sized piece of ginger (depending on how strong you like it), cut it into thin slices, add it to a quart of water in a pan, bring it to boil, turn the heat down allow it to simmer along for about ten minutes, then cool.  I pour this into a large mason jar, ginger slices and all.  It's ready to drink when it's cool. My husband drinks this like it is, but I pour a bit into my other drinks, such as iced tea. We had been making ginger tea by the mug in winter, but it's just too darned hot for that now, imo.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:01:53 PM by klaasend » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »

A note on those Seventh Generation Dryer Sheets I use and San mentioned trying:

The first time I opened the box with the dryer sheets, they looked like brown waxed paper with perforated holes.  I wondered what the heck?  However, they work just fine.  I use the same one several times with no problem.  Of course, by the second or third use they look like a wadded up piece of paper sack  but they still work   

My family has gotten so used to unscented laundry products, when I sent my son's big comforter out to be cleaned (even too big for my front loader) we had to hang it outside for a couple of days to air in the sunlight because it had a sweet, flowery/fruity odor to it and it was almost over powering.  I can still smell the detergent or softener they used if I hold it near my face.  If I want my bedding to smell nice, I just spritz a bit of natural lavender water on it. 

What about the dryer balls you throw in the dryer and then there is no paper or smell?

Gotta have my scents.  I definitely am a candidate for scent therapy, and it works!  I use lavender on all the bed things and towels and bathroom rugs and fresh air on everything else.

sunny

I tried the dryer balls a few years ago and ended up donating them to the Salvation Army.  Some folks may swear by them, but for me, using white vinegar in the softener tray and using the Seventh Generation Unscented Dryer Sheets if needed (can be used over and over) work better.

The problem with perfumes and scents is that some people are very sensitive to them.  Those prone to migraines, asthma, compromised immune systems such as chemo/oncology patients, and  for some with Tourette's Syndrome a blast of perfume or scents can set them back. Scents can trigger headaches, nausea, breathing problems etc.   One SIL works in a doctor's office and they aren't allowed to wear perfume to work.

Then there's my other  SIL  which the last time I was there, had 3 scentsy's going at the same time in  small open floor plan room, along with a glade oil burner in the entry way, and one in the guest bath.  The kicker was, she had sprinkled this potpourri stuff all in the carpet too. It's a brand new house, so the carpet, the paint, cabinetry finishes etc smells are there too.   My son and I went to visit right after they bought the house and we had to leave soon after because he got such a bad migraine.  We ended up staying in a hotel.
My mom and her friend went to visit  later that week and they had to leave within a few minutes.  Mom was undergoing chemo and has copd.  It was just too much.  My brother, who is married to the SIL with all the scentsy's has no sense of smell because of an accident years ago.  He's had a lot of feed back from friends and family so he's been talking with his wife about the scents. She says she wants her house to smell good.  I wonder if she has a very diminished sense of smell, because even people without sensitivities are having a hard time with it.  I have to roll down the windows in their car if I go with them anywhere, because it smells like someone just dumped perfume in there.   I grow patchouli, rosemary, scented geranium, lavender etc. in my garden for the pure joy of their scent.  I've made dream pillows for friends and family with the lavender for those that enjoy them.  Do you have one of those, Bearly?  I like lavender myself.  MMMMMM !   I'm not anti scent, just not a fan of over kill.  I enjoy simmering a bit of cinnamon stick, or lemons etc. in the house.  I find if I clean the house, it smells nice. Instead of air freshener, I put a small bowl of white vinegar down, and the stink is gone.   I use white vinegar, lemons, baking soda and such and air it out by opening the windows.  Soap and water works great.   

No Rose was the one who swore by the dryer balls and fluffed her Dad's things when he came to stay with her, after she got them out of the suitcases.  She also fluffed comforters, I believe.  I miss her.

I am sensitive to pollen and trees so it is very hard to keep an open window and use some outside plants.  The allergist makes me keep the windows shut, but I do go outside and smell everything when the pollen and such is not really bad, after my meds have kicked in, of course.  I have to load up with benadryl if there is a strong breeze and my Mom has her windows open.  I keep coughing and coughing and cannot stop.  I also have an Epi-pen for going out in the great outdoors. 

Sadly, my other allergy is dogs, cats, and horses.  I did have a couple of cats growing up--one at a time, when no one else could take them home from somewhere.  I never could stand the thought of a kitty being euthanized.  The allergy and smell sensitivity seemed to get worse as I got older.  My best friend's brother had 2 Cocker Spaniel's and when I was pregnant and the dogs came near me, I always got so sick to my stomach.  I could smell some very strong odor, that I can't describe.  It made me feel so badly because those dogs are so darn cute.  I never did tell them, just scooted around the room.  You know they always had to sit next to me.  After my pregnancy, is when sensitivity to the smells of animals really kicked in.  This was different than the allergy to animals.  It makes me very sad.  Did you know that 50% of people have trouble with dogs?  That was a surprise for me. 

Being a Respiratory Therapist, I am very much aware of people and smell sensitivities, and not wearing perfume.  I also don't use scented candles.  I do grow Rosemary, lavender, peppermint, and spearmint (don't ever let the mints get near the soil outside of their pots and don't plant mint in the ground).  I remember having a conversation with Tyler and her problem with mint overgrowing also.  I love the smell of silver thyme oregano, plain old oregano, and basil, which I also grow.  My Mom gave my SIL some potpourri which she put in a bowl.  Her dog ate it all.  It was so stiff, I thought for sure if it didn't poison him, he would get the pieces stuck in his throat, so I don't use potpourri in my house, I am afraid one of the animals who sometimes comes in will get it stuck in their throats.  I was so worried. 

My neighbor's cat has stayed in my house when it is cold if she gets locked out.  Her husband is not fond of the cat.  I walk my friend's dog and we play trick-or-treat with her.  My son is afraid of dogs and she is afraid of men, so we play 'trick-or-treat' all year round.  I knock on my door with her leash in my hand and my son opens the door and gives her treats.  It has desensitizes them both.

I sometimes use some of the perfume pull outs from magazine in drawers, they don't usually smell strong by the time I pull them out.  My Mom likes several perfumes that really make me feel nauseous, that are called musk.  I have to roll down the window in the car, which is really bad if it is pollen season.  One way or another I can't win, but the musk perfume really out-smells the pollen. 

I think maybe like sensitivity to taste, sensitivity to smell may go down in some people like your SIL.  My neighbor is totally insensitive to the taste of peppers, I think she has killed all her pepper taste buds.  She shoves the hottest of peppers in her mouth with no reaction.  I have always been sensitive to smell, good and bad.  It takes me forever to pick out a fabric softener with a very light scent.  I can even smell the unscented laundry detergents, they smell mechanical to me.

One of the reasons I like the fabric softener is because I love the softness, my skin is very sensitive and the softener really helps.  My Dad and I have the same type of skin and sensitivities.  My Mom does not put fabric softener on her towels, she cannot believe how much that scratches my skin until she sees it.  She once made me go to a High School Dance wearing these pants I told her were really hurting and itching me.  She said they were from Sears and were 100% cotton, so they could not possibly be bothering me.  She really made a big stink over the whole thing. 

She happened to look at my legs while I was getting changed after the dance, by this time they hurt so bad they were almost numb.  Well the material might have been 100% cotton, but the thread they used was not.  There were huge welts up and down and all over my legs.  She could not believe it.  It wasn't just a little red, there were blisters all over my legs, so I am very careful with my Dad, I make sure he has the softest clothes and detergent that is not strongly scented.

By this time I have probably bored you to tears, so with that I will give your eyes a rest.

Muffy must be allergic to something, she's all swollen!!!      I'll get the Epi-pen!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »

The embedding on this video is disabled by request.  It is of a Monkey Troop Mourning the Loss of a Baby. 

Sometimes people say people who are behaving badly are 'acting like animals.'  Although in this situation, I realize the reason this monkey was lost to this troop, but the sadness in his troop afterwards, saddens me. 

From the behavior I have learned through Scared Monkeys that human families sometimes do, some humans not only do not mourn the loss of one of their own, but instead, take the life/lives of their own family member.  The behavior I witnessed in this video after this troop realized the death of the baby monkey, brought me to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3pGxE4SjUI

I believe in miracles!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »

The embedding on this video is disabled by request.  It is of a Monkey Troop Mourning the Loss of a Baby. 

Sometimes people say people who are behaving badly are 'acting like animals.'  Although in this situation, I realize the reason this monkey was lost to this troop, but the sadness in his troop afterwards, saddens me. 

From the behavior I have learned through Scared Monkeys that human families sometimes do, some humans not only do not mourn the loss of one of their own, but instead, take the life/lives of their own family member.  The behavior I witnessed in this video after this troop realized the death of the baby monkey, brought me to tears.

Bearly, I saw the video -- it is incredible . . . and yes, animals do mourn.
I remember see a bird on a country road and it didn't fly away as I approached in my car.  I stopped the car and went to see what it was doing (and again the bird didn't fly away, just hopped to the side of the road).  There on the road, was a dead bird -- possibly it's mate.  The first bird was using its bill to try and get the bird up and flying.  I just moved the dead bird off to the side and when I left, the first bird was still trying to get it to fly.  never will forget it.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #225 on: July 13, 2013, 02:58:01 PM »

Are you looking for something cool and refreshing to drink  this summer?  Beyond the regular iced tea, my family and I have been enjoying cucumber water, lemon water, mint water & ginger tea and sometimes all of those together or various combinations of the ingredients.  To make the cucumber, lemon water or mint water, it's as simple as slicing up some and adding it to your glass of water.  But it's really good if you slice it up, add it to a pitcher of water and let it sit at least 10 minutes in the refrigerator, or even better, overnight! 

For ginger, I first peel a good sized piece of ginger (depending on how strong you like it), cut it into thin slices, add it to a quart of water in a pan, bring it to boil, turn the head down allow it to simmer along for about ten minutes, then cool.  I pour this into a large mason jar, ginger slices and all.  It's ready to drink when it's cool. My husband drinks this like it is, but I pour a bit into my other drinks, such as iced tea. We had been making ginger tea by the mug in winter, but it's just too darned hot for that now, imo.   

I don't use fresh ginger much, so this may be a stupid question for most of you.  This sounds good.  Can anyone help me?  I am not sure how you tell where the head is.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »

Bearly, I saw the video -- it is incredible . . . and yes, animals do mourn.
I remember see a bird on a country road and it didn't fly away as I approached in my car.  I stopped the car and went to see what it was doing (and again the bird didn't fly away, just hopped to the side of the road).  There on the road, was a dead bird -- possibly it's mate.  The first bird was using its bill to try and get the bird up and flying.  I just moved the dead bird off to the side and when I left, the first bird was still trying to get it to fly.  never will forget it.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2013, 06:50:18 AM »

Are you looking for something cool and refreshing to drink  this summer?  Beyond the regular iced tea, my family and I have been enjoying cucumber water, lemon water, mint water & ginger tea and sometimes all of those together or various combinations of the ingredients.  To make the cucumber, lemon water or mint water, it's as simple as slicing up some and adding it to your glass of water.  But it's really good if you slice it up, add it to a pitcher of water and let it sit at least 10 minutes in the refrigerator, or even better, overnight!  

For ginger, I first peel a good sized piece of ginger (depending on how strong you like it), cut it into thin slices, add it to a quart of water in a pan, bring it to boil, turn the head down   allow it to simmer along for about ten minutes, then cool.  I pour this into a large mason jar, ginger slices and all.  It's ready to drink when it's cool. My husband drinks this like it is, but I pour a bit into my other drinks, such as iced tea. We had been making ginger tea by the mug in winter, but it's just too darned hot for that now, imo.  

I don't use fresh ginger much, so this may be a stupid question for most of you.  This sounds good.  Can anyone help me?  I am not sure how you tell where the head is.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:51:56 AM by Bearlyhere » Logged

I believe in miracles!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »

Bearly  I never have given it any thought to which end of ginger root would be the head. Since it's a root and they grow down. Which ever direction the roots are pointing I would think the head head would be the top of that direction. If that makes any since.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »

"For ginger, I first peel a good sized piece of ginger (depending on how strong you like it), cut it into thin slices, add it to a quart of water in a pan, bring it to boil, turn the head down   allow it to simmer along for about ten minutes, then cool. "

Hello monkeys -  I think the BBM is a typo and should read :

Turn the heat down.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #230 on: July 16, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »

"For ginger, I first peel a good sized piece of ginger (depending on how strong you like it), cut it into thin slices, add it to a quart of water in a pan, bring it to boil, turn the head down   allow it to simmer along for about ten minutes, then cool. "

Turn the heat down.

Mystery of the ginger head solved    Thanks Tibro - I'm sure you are correct.  Should read:  Turn the HEAT DOWN
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »

Turn the heat down.

Mystery of the ginger head solved    Thanks Tibro - I'm sure you are correct.  Should read:  Turn the HEAT DOWN

Thanks, Tibro, Klaas, and Green Eyes, I guess I can put my ginger down now and stop turning it all around.

I believe in miracles!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »

We've had sooooooo much rain this summer! This afternoon (about 4:30), I heard low rumbles of thunder and headed home from work because Kubear's terrified of storms. I'm only 10 minutes away and by the time I got in the door, it was almost totally dark except for flashes of lightening. Then the sky just opened up and it rained so hard that my gutters just couldn't keep up and water started coming down from my can light fixtures in the kitchen! Kingsport Fun Fest is this week ( http://visitkingsport.com/funfest/ ). It's a week long celebration of summer with all sorts of activities, like hot air balloon races, Crazy boat parades where people create funny decorations for their boats (sort of like parade floats), fireworks, parades, food and beverage tastings, concerts, craft shows, 10k runs, city wide scavenger hunts for prizes, and a huge array of activities for kids. It's a tough time for me to get around town because I never know which streets will be blocked off and tents set up for events. Anyway, tonight was the "Taste of the TriCities" event which is always really popular and tickets sell out quickly. Here's a picture of where the 4 lane street where the event was "supposed" to take place tonight. You can see the tents set up on either side:

This neighborhood is not mine, but is about 3 miles to my West:

A friend was in his work vehicle today when the storm came and lightening struck his truck. The truck immediately stopped (he said the electrical systems in it blew) and it blew out the sun roof.

Monday night, a two mile section of the highway to Asheville, NC (an hour drive for me) gave way to a landslide because of the rain:

Everything has certainly stayed green and lush this summer, but enough already!!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:33:53 AM by CBB » Logged
crazybabyborg
« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2013, 03:05:47 AM »

Should have mentioned that my friend in the truck is OK. He's really shaken, but OK. He said he wishes he could remember what he was thinking about when it happened, because he'd be sure to NEVER think of it again!   
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »

Holy smokes, CBB!!!  Maybe they can find a way to dump some of that water on the fires they have been having other places!

What a shame that such a fun event has been ruined.  I am so sorry! 

It helps me if I think the reason something happened was to prevent something bigger, perhaps a even a tragedy from happening.

This is such a small example compared to what you are experiencing, but it is a recent event that happened to my son, and although not a "tragedy," to a teenage boy it was.

My son was supposed to go bowling with a girl, as friends only.  That night she didn't show up to pick him up at their arranged time.  The girl was going to school and working long hours to boot and was often asked to stay overtime, she said she always accepted as she didn't make much money there.  She came home that night from work, after working some overtime, went upstairs to take a 'short nap' before she met Cubby, and never woke up until the next day.  She called and apologized, he accepted, but he had agonized over this all evening and overnight.  We both lost a night sleep over it, he doesn't suffer in silence.

He couldn't see how there could be any way to think positively about this event.  I told him, there was probably an explanation (these 2 had known each other too long to be playing games).  When he found out the reason, and released us both from the prison of this teenage trauma, he, felt relief.  I told him if she was that tired, she could have fallen asleep while she was driving and they could have gotten in an accident.  It is no different than drunk driving.  (I remember working long hours as a kid and I remember waking up one evening, the first evening of my vacation with my family (or so I thought) and my Grandfather told me it was 7:00 in the evening.  Here, it was 7:00 in the evening the next day.  I had slept over 24 hours straight and missed my first night of vacation!  So, I know when you are keeping long hours, you will eventually have to pay the sandman and that was her night to pay.  So, he learned a new way to look at things and I have brought this example up many times and for many different reasons since then and there have been no more sleepless nights, at least about girls.

As an aside, there appears to be a lot of mean girls around, more than I remember when I grew up.  There were some, but they didn't play the games with boys to the extent they do now, at least not that I remember.  I have confirmed this with different counselors, teachers, and administrators.  There were a couple of girls that made arrangements with my son that never intended to fulfill them.  All of my friends who have boys said their sons had the same issues.  It's not that it happens, it's the amount of times it happens to them.  It's also the amount of times the girls play games and are changing partners from week to week.  The girl down the street said her Mom said she had to wait until she was 15 to have sex.  I don't remember my Mom ever giving me that option.

I believe in miracles!
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »

CBB, that is just awful.  Which road is that going to Ashville?  We were going to the mountains in N.C. over the 4th of July week but backed out because of all the rain.  We have had about 8 inches lately and it is suppose to rain here for the next few days again.  I am with you, enough already. 

Be careful.  Wow on the sunroof.  I have never heard of that.  I have a sunroof and I have never heard of lightning doing that.

Those pictures a wild looking. Only up side to all this is the gardens are doing so good this year (if they don't flood out first).

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
crazybabyborg
« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »

Hiya, Blue Moon! 

The landslide was on Hwy 194. Here's a link to a news story about it with more pictures: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/mudslide-destroys-part-highway-avery-co/nYrsF/

Hey, Bearly! 

I think you're right. I'd say there are more inconsiderate people in general, but girls have their own style of it.    They can be so hard on boys at little cub's age! Your outlook on all things will help not only him, but all of us, Miss Bear!   
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »

CBB, your pictures are amazing.  I used to worry a bit about driving in the mountains during big rain storms.  A few of the slides were so large that the roads were closed for weeks to months.

You know I always thought you were safe in your car during a lightening storm.  That picture changed my mind.

Take care up there...!   

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »

Mere! 

I'm with you on thinking that cars were safe places in a thunderstorm. However, I keep thinking that something kept him from harm when lightening struck the vehicle. I'm guessing the tires might have helped out there. I talked with him last night when it began to rain AGAIN, and he said that when it happened, there was just a blinding white light followed by a deafening clap of thunder. The sunroof just exploded and the truck immediately went dead.... except for the heater that started blowing on high. Temperatures were in the low 90s so the heater had not been on, but even after the truck stopped, the heater wouldn't turn off no matter what he did. He used his cell phone to call somebody, and stayed in the truck getting rained on with his feet up in the seat because the heat was blowing on the floorboard so high. The truck has been confirmed, "FRIED" at this point.

When I called him yesterday, I asked him what he was doing and he said he was home......... went there at first sight of a gray cloud.   
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »

Yikes CBB  You guys are getting lots of rain. Hope you are staying safe. We could use some of that rain here. We have had rain but nothing heavy. Our weather has been crazy this  summer so far. Went from 105 down to 75 in a day.  Then it's working it's self back you to the 100's. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.