March 29, 2024, 07:33:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #61 04/22/13 - 12/03/14  (Read 420862 times)
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2013, 11:02:32 PM »

Our apple trees this year are loaded.  A couple years ago my hubby came home from work early in the morning (it was still dark outside) and as he turned into the driveway a big ole Buck ran out of the yard in front of him.  We knew the deer were coming into the back yard and eating the apples on the trees.  Well this morning we looked across the road from us and lo-and-behold there is a big deer lying in the ditch.  Someone hit it overnight as it was running out of or into our yard.  I am very sad to see that the deer got run over. 

With all the rain we have had this year everything is plentiful in the way of gardens, apples, grapes, melons etc.  We live in the country between two big subdivisions and across the road from a big field that grows corn, soybeans, wheat etc.  All this  food attracts every kind of animal you can think of. 

We have baby rabbits running around in the back yard, squirrels running around gathering acorns from our pin oak trees, moles this year (grub worms have been plentiful due to the rains) that I have chased and tried to kill cause they were digging up my flowers in the front of the house.  The squirrels really do bother me.  They can eat the wiring underneath your vehicle and they can tear your wiring up if they get in your attic.  My hubby has gone all around the house to make sure they cannot get into the house anywhere.   The rabbits are not causing much problems except they like to eat the tops off our tomato plants.  The deer are not causing any problems cause they just eat the apples that fall on the ground. 

I just really hate seeing that big deer dead this morning. 

I guess someone out there has a car that is not in very good shape today!!!!!

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »

Blue Moon....I remember when I lived closer to you how surprised I was that there were rabbits that ran along the road and across the fields at night....lots of them!!
I loved planting tomatoes, onions (shallots), green peppers and summer squash but finally had to go to container gardening as I felt I was feeding all the critters in the area.....raccoons, groundhogs, rabbits, even skunk one night....and I also fed every squirrel in town as I had huge old oak trees in the front....but no deer.  The cows in the rear pasture could reach a couple of the apple trees and got so sick I finally cut branches that were loaded with apples so that they could not get to them.  Sorry about the deer....I never had one in the rear yard....they are beautiful animals. 

No oak trees now....only magnolias and pine....and the only critters are dogs and a couple of feral cats.....oh, and mosquitoes....if you call them critters....lol.

The farm stands are flush with fruit and veggies from local farmers.  I love that..!!
I do miss the Mennonite stand.....beside the fruit and veggies, they had beautiful plants and also crafted wonderful furniture.

CBB....how is your area?  Has the rain stopped and the flooding subsided?  The
mountain road to Asheville is so pretty, but it did slide a couple of times and the
slides were significant....though no one was hurt if I recall correctly.  I am definitely on flat land now.  I started missing the mountains before I actually left...lol.

Klaas....how are you feeling?  Been praying that you are in the recovery mode now. 

Lots of our monkeys are in very warm areas of the country....hot and humid....and
I hope that we get some relief soon. 

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »

Blue Moon....I remember when I lived closer to you how surprised I was that there were rabbits that ran along the road and across the fields at night....lots of them!!
I loved planting tomatoes, onions (shallots), green peppers and summer squash but finally had to go to container gardening as I felt I was feeding all the critters in the area.....raccoons, groundhogs, rabbits, even skunk one night....and I also fed every squirrel in town as I had huge old oak trees in the front....but no deer.  The cows in the rear pasture could reach a couple of the apple trees and got so sick I finally cut branches that were loaded with apples so that they could not get to them.  Sorry about the deer....I never had one in the rear yard....they are beautiful animals. 

No oak trees now....only magnolias and pine....and the only critters are dogs and a couple of feral cats.....oh, and mosquitoes....if you call them critters....lol.

The farm stands are flush with fruit and veggies from local farmers.  I love that..!!
I do miss the Mennonite stand.....beside the fruit and veggies, they had beautiful plants and also crafted wonderful furniture.

CBB....how is your area?  Has the rain stopped and the flooding subsided?  The
mountain road to Asheville is so pretty, but it did slide a couple of times and the
slides were significant....though no one was hurt if I recall correctly.  I am definitely on flat land now.  I started missing the mountains before I actually left...lol.

Klaas....how are you feeling?  Been praying that you are in the recovery mode now. 

Lots of our monkeys are in very warm areas of the country....hot and humid....and
I hope that we get some relief soon. 

Hi Mere!  Thanks for asking.  I'm much much better, can almost whistle now, LOL.  I'd say I'm about 90-95% better now.  Seems like each day it gets a little tiny bit better.  I'm at the 29 day mark so not too bad.

The weather has been unseasonably cool where I live.  I feel bad for everyone where it's oppressively hot like NY was last week.  Today I'll be surprised if we hit over 70. 
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »

Just heard that Prince William and Kate named their baby boy...

George Alexander Louis!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

Hiya, Mere! 

The rain has stopped being such a frequent visitor.... Thank Goodness!

I have a question, that may belong in the political thread, but nobody ever reads there and I'm really curious about this. It's not a liberal/conservative topic and there seems to be equal disagreement on both sides so here goes, and I hope somebody can help educate me. I've been waiting for weeks for just one reporter to ask why the NSA can't just go to a phone service company to get any back phone records they want, once someone has become of interest to them, rather than collecting all records from everybody with no suspicion required?

If there's suspicion about someone, then wouldn't a court (FISA or otherwise) give a subpoena for the records? Records are retrievable for a long time, so what's the problem with that? I know I'm missing something and the answer is probably so obvious that would account for why nobody ever asks it, but I admit, I don't see the reasoning and am torn between wanting us to be safe and wanting us to be free from privacy invasions. Just curious if anybody can straighten me out. Thanks!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »

Hiya, Mere! 

The rain has stopped being such a frequent visitor.... Thank Goodness!

I have a question, that may belong in the political thread, but nobody ever reads there and I'm really curious about this. It's not a liberal/conservative topic and there seems to be equal disagreement on both sides so here goes, and I hope somebody can help educate me. I've been waiting for weeks for just one reporter to ask why the NSA can't just go to a phone service company to get any back phone records they want, once someone has become of interest to them, rather than collecting all records from everybody with no suspicion required?

If there's suspicion about someone, then wouldn't a court (FISA or otherwise) give a subpoena for the records? Records are retrievable for a long time, so what's the problem with that? I know I'm missing something and the answer is probably so obvious that would account for why nobody ever asks it, but I admit, I don't see the reasoning and am torn between wanting us to be safe and wanting us to be free from privacy invasions. Just curious if anybody can straighten me out. Thanks!

Most of the data that is collected is no more than who is calling who and not the calls themselves.  They use software to see patterns of people who may be terrorists.  Once they believe they have someone who has intentions to do harm to the American people, that's when they get a warrant and the actual calls.

If they have actual emails, they sift through data to determine with software that will picks up specific key words that would indicate the person is a terrorist, etc.  Again, once they determine someone is "bad news" that's when they get more info.

I don't know if that answered any of your questions at all and I'm sure other people may understand it differently.   

crazybabyborg
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:32 PM »

AHAH! The email parts make sense now, Klaas! So, words help them initially identify the problem. That makes sense, and thank you! OK, checking off the e-mail part.

If they use the phone calls to see patterns to initially identify possible terrorists, then that makes sense as well. That isn't how I've heard anyone make that argument. Everyone has always said that the calls are collected and never looked at at all until a reason surfaces to do so. They are probably reluctant to openly say that because some people would take exception to being subjected to scrutiny without cause to do so. However, we do that each time we go to the airport, etc.

OK, I get it. Thanks, Klaas!   
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »

Here is a picture of all four of my dogs.  We really have one more but my brother adopted him.

I love all of them!!!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2013, 03:44:33 AM »

George Alexander Louis!

Hopefully he will get the nickname of Alex            if he allowed to use a nickname   Rolling Eyes

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
crazybabyborg
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »

Here is a picture of all four of my dogs.  We really have one more but my brother adopted him.

I love all of them!!!

AWWWW!!! You have a gorgeous family of furbabies, San!! I just want to get in the middle of them and succumb to "death by lick and giggles"!  
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2013, 10:53:25 PM »

This company in Colorado has been making greeting cards in the USA for like 63 years.  They have some really cute cards for all occasions:

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »

This company in Colorado has been making greeting cards in the USA for like 63 years.  They have some really cute cards for all occasions:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MYyPu2Yrd3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for sharing this Klaas.  I enjoy their cards and it's good to know they are made in America!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MYyPu2Yrd3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for sharing this Klaas.  I enjoy their cards and it's good to know they are made in America!

^^^^^^

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »

Thanks for letting us know so we can be good customers of products that help us here at home!! 
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »

I love their stuff.     Thanks Klaas

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2013, 12:10:11 AM »

Geez, forgot to add their website:   http://www.leanintree.com
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

George Alexander Louis!

Hopefully he will get the nickname of Alex            if he allowed to use a nickname   Rolling Eyes

I keep thinking that all his things will be monogramed GAL, poor kid.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »

Quote from: Bearlyhere
 As an aside, there appears to be a lot of mean girls around, more than I remember when I grew up.  There were some, but they didn't play the games with boys to the extent they do now, at least not that I remember.  I have confirmed this with different counselors, teachers, and administrators.  There were a couple of girls that made arrangements with my son that never intended to fulfill them.  All of my friends who have boys said their sons had the same issues.  It's not that it happens, it's the amount of times it happens to them.  It's also the amount of times the girls play games and are changing partners from week to week.  The girl down the street said her Mom said she had to wait until she was 15 to have sex.  I don't remember my Mom ever giving me that option.

Hiya, Blue Moon!  

The landslide was on Hwy 194. Here's a link to a news story about it with more pictures: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/mudslide-destroys-part-highway-avery-co/nYrsF/

Hey, Bearly!  

I think you're right. I'd say there are more inconsiderate people in general, but girls have their own style of it.   They can be so hard on boys at little cub's age! Your outlook on all things will help not only him, but all of us, Miss Bear!  

Girls commit dating violence as often as boys, studies show

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/girls-commit-dating-violence-often-boys-studies-show-6C10809607

More girls – 43 percent – than boys – 28 percent – reported committing an act of physical dating violence, said researchers who are presenting their findings beginning Wednesday at the American Psychological Association’s annual meeting. Slightly more boys – 23 percent – than girls – 18 percent – reported perpetrating at least one act of sexual violence.

The study looked at a spectrum of behaviors, ranging from name calling and expressing anger, spreading rumors, and using controlling behaviors such as keeping track of dating partners, to physical violence such as slapping, hitting and biting, and sexual violence including forced kissing. Taken as a whole, one in three reported being the victim of at least one of the behaviors on that spectrum.

While most of us may not rank name-calling, or bad-mouthing another to their friends as “violence,” the researchers say they included the psychological and relationship tactics because they can have a profound impact.

“We see in other research that the psychological stuff has just as much of a negative impact on health outcomes as the physical and sexual” violence, said Carlos Cuevas, associate professor in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Northeastern University, who is also presenting a study on youth dating violence at meeting.

Middle school bullies were seven times more likely to become dating violence perpetrators by high school. This was true for both boys and girls.

“Our data show that for kids who gained self-esteem by dominance in middle school” via verbally or psychologically bullying others, “their need for control spilled over into their relationships four years later.”

It’s not just the Nelson Muntz types, either, Espelage explained. “I’m talking about the popular kids, the high social status kids, too. If you’ve got a nasty, bully girl in junior high, she’s going to have a bad outcome.”

Before conducting his study, Cuevas anticipated that family bonds and support would help prevent both delinquency and dating violence. But “I was a little surprised… We thought it would be helpful, but it turned out to be very helpful in decreasing all forms of violence we measured, and all forms of delinquency.”

Now we know what to do to prevent such things.  The family plays a very important role in the way kids treat other kids.  Many people believe it is peer pressure, but if we teach our children that violence is never the answer, and that includes the way they talk to each other, it appears to get through.  So, violence begins at home just like may other things.  Our kids are watching us and learning by what we teach them, how we treat them, and how much time we spend with them.

Quote from: Mother Teresa
"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action."

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:47:21 PM by Bearlyhere » Logged

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #258 on: August 04, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »

George Alexander Louis!

I keep thinking that all his things will be monogramed GAL, poor kid.

Well at least it's Louis and not Simon  Monkey Devil!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »

Klaas....you made my day.  I am sitting here laughing and will pass that on to others who are also talking about his initials.

How are you 

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.