March 28, 2024, 11:08:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #61 04/22/13 - 12/03/14  (Read 420772 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »

I hope this voice mail message can be recovered. 

August 26, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/KDHCrime

Philip Jankowski ‏@KDHcrime 25m
Angela Rivera said her husband's outgoing voicemail message lost after keeping @sprint phone active only to hear his voice. #FortHood

Philip Jankowski ‏@KDHcrime 28m
.@Sprint can you recover old voicemail recordings? Family of Maj. Librardo E. Caraveo would be happy if you could.

Philip Jankowski ‏@KDHcrime 29m
Widow of #FortHood shooting victim says she kept his @Sprint phone active to hear his voice. Carrier deleted voicemail message 3 months ago.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2013, 06:57:31 PM »

Sorry for the double post.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »

Don't miss the Dana Pretzer show tonight at 9pm ET!

Click on the link below to listen at 9pm et:

http://scaredmonkeysradio.com/radio.m3u
crazybabyborg
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »

Oh man......... somebody please give me advice! 

There was a coyote in the backyard this morning. I've lived in this neighborhood since I was 3 years old and have seen a lot of wildlife, but never a coyote. At first, I thought, "THAT'S the largest fox, I've ever seen, and then noticed the color wasn't right, and the movement wasn't right, and then it turned around and my heart sank. The TN wildlife agency was absolutely no help. They said they've been around a long time; I just haven't seen them, and they posed no threat to humans. My concern isn't human...... it's Kubear.

I have an "invisible fence" so I can just open the door and let her out without worry she'll get in the road or out of the yard. It's worked well for 13 years, and she observes the borders perfectly. However, she's very protective of her home and doesn't allow other animals in the yard when she's out. That protectiveness takes on new heights if any of "her people" happen to be outside. There is virtually no doubt she would go after a coyote in the yard, and in this case, I worry a coyote might go after her as well. In her day, she might have survived a coyote fight. Now, I doubt it. I don't want to find out and I don't want her hurt, regardless of the outcome.

The obvious answer is for me to take her out only on a leash, but that's going to change her life in a bad way, and I hate it. This time of year, and in Spring, she loves to lay on the deck and sun herself for hours, or at the front door. As age has taken more control, she tolerates deer if she knows I'm safely inside, but she went nuts when the coyote was in the yard. I don't even know how she knew it was there! She was with me in the kitchen, and her barking is what caused me to look up to see it.

Is there any way to make the yard "unfriendly" to coyotes???   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

There was a coyote in the backyard this morning. I've lived in this neighborhood since I was 3 years old and have seen a lot of wildlife, but never a coyote. At first, I thought, "THAT'S the largest fox, I've ever seen, and then noticed the color wasn't right, and the movement wasn't right, and then it turned around and my heart sank. The TN wildlife agency was absolutely no help. They said they've been around a long time; I just haven't seen them, and they posed no threat to humans. My concern isn't human...... it's Kubear.

I have an "invisible fence" so I can just open the door and let her out without worry she'll get in the road or out of the yard. It's worked well for 13 years, and she observes the borders perfectly. However, she's very protective of her home and doesn't allow other animals in the yard when she's out. That protectiveness takes on new heights if any of "her people" happen to be outside. There is virtually no doubt she would go after a coyote in the yard, and in this case, I worry a coyote might go after her as well. In her day, she might have survived a coyote fight. Now, I doubt it. I don't want to find out and I don't want her hurt, regardless of the outcome.

The obvious answer is for me to take her out only on a leash, but that's going to change her life in a bad way, and I hate it. This time of year, and in Spring, she loves to lay on the deck and sun herself for hours, or at the front door. As age has taken more control, she tolerates deer if she knows I'm safely inside, but she went nuts when the coyote was in the yard. I don't even know how she knew it was there! She was with me in the kitchen, and her barking is what caused me to look up to see it.

CBB- the coyote coming into your yard is very serious.  Be sure to report it to your local law enforcement and share that with your neighbors.  You and Kubear, your neighbors and their pets are all in danger.  The coyote should be shot if it comes near again.  It's sad to say, but it's true. Coyotes are predators and they will attack and kill and/or eat house pets. A couplemonths ago, a neighbor's 10 year old doxie got out of the yard.  They found him mauled and chewed by coyotes.    A 14 yr old boy was walking a trail near his house and he got circled by a coyote but managed to evade him.   I love animals, and I've done my share of rescue, fostering, used my resources for pets and wild animals, birds, fish etc.  I don't take killing an animal lightly.  In this case, I believe you need to really pay attention and take action.  I doubt Kubear would survive a coyote attack.  Do a google news search Coyote Attacks.  It's an eye opener.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »

CBB, to make your yard more unfriendly to coyotes, make sure trash cans have tight fitting covers, don't feed pets outdoors etc.  I used to put feeders out for the birds, and etc. and I sadly stopped that too. I think the drought has driven some creatures to come in closer, and my yard was like a cafeteria for them.  I had squirrels dig into a corner of my roof and I had to get them out of my attic.  I found rat droppings under my bar sink upstairs and they probably got and up the pipes.  Rats can enter a space the size of a nickel!  I had a pest control guy come out here when the raccoons had been pulling up shingles to get in the attic.  He told me to get rid of the bird feeders.  Where am I going with this?  Well, those creatures are also food for coyotes, hence my comment above on the food chain.  I've cut trees away from the house, I keep area around the house mowed and there's a whole list of stuff I do, including stacking firewood away from the house and up on blocks.  Creatures are still around and I love them, but not in my house, not on my house and not attacking my pets.   

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #306 on: August 28, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »

CBB, coyotes will attack and kill any animal that is weaker than them.  In fact, the weaker, the better.  As Muffy said, coyotes are "dangerous".  We were sitting outside one late afternoon down at my hubby's parents old farm.  It was just starting to get dark outside.  All of a sudden the most blood curdling screams came out of no where just down the road and I asked my Sister in law what the heck that was.  She said they had packs of coyotes out in the fields.  They are cat people and all their cats have disappeared and they know the coyotes got them.  They go walking down by the creek and around the farm and they have started to take their gun with them because they have run into a pack of them just out walking.  So far they have not bothered them but it is a pack and you never know what will set them off. 

If you have seen one coyote I will guarantee there are many more around.

My Brother in law called the game warden and he told him he could set up "snares" to catch them but he was warned there are just certain times of the year you can snare them and then there is a limit to how many you can snare.  I don't know about Tennessee but that is the law here in Kentucky.

Young, small children should NOT be left alone outside.  These animals can snatch a child up so fast.  Ask a game warden if you can shoot it.  My guess is they are going to want to set a trap for it. If you live in a populated area I bet they will tell you NOT to fire a gun unless it threatens your life.

Check into snares (it might be really disturbing to do that) or a trap.

BE careful.  Don't leave your dog out by itself until this animal has been eliminated.

Our yard is filled with rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, deer; you name it.  We live in between subdivisions and across the road from huge farmlands.  So much building has gone on here that the animals are being squeezed out and they end up living in someones yard.  We live in the country but it has been built up so much that it want be long before the city annex's us so they can charge more taxes.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #307 on: August 28, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »

You could try this:

http://www.bareground.com/bjs/

http://www.bareground.com/bjs/coyote-scentry.php

The coyote is looking for food so make sure you don't have any food outside attracting him.  Don't let Waylon go out and play by himself.  We have coyotes around our house and never let our dogs out at dawn or dusk.  At night, they have their doggie door which leads into a fenced area.  I know a coyote could jump it but they never have, it's like a 6ft fence.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:45:20 PM by klaasend » Logged
crazybabyborg
« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:52 PM »

Thanks, guys. I'm just sick about the whole situation. Today, I've toyed with getting a real fence. That would be financially hard for me to do. I can tell you that there is no wildlife agency that's going to help. I've talked with every one I know today, and they all say the same thing; they're looking for rabbits, raccoons, deer, squirrels, rodents, etc. and they pose no threat to humans. They say cats are a target but that a medium sized dog isn't generally at the top of their list. I got a little heated with one of the agents today, but he came back with, "Keep your dog on a leash that you're holding and it shouldn't be a problem".

Geez....  I had plenty of time today, had I not been so stunned, to take a picture, and therefore time to aim a gun, but I feel sure that if I had opened the door to step out, he would have run. I hadn't really thought about Waylon until this afternoon, when he wanted to play outside. I have large windows facing the backyard and we always tell him to stay where we can see him........ but the backyard is precisely where the coyote was! Waylon only weighs about 37 pounds, which is about the same weight as KuBear.

I guess I'll start pricing fencing.

Thanks, Muffy, Blue Moon and Klaas! It's all good advice and I'm taking it to heart~!   
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2013, 04:40:21 AM »

Yes CBB, a fence may be your best solution.  I live in a semi-country area, many ranches within walking distance.  One night I heard a pack of them howling and soon after the cattle started bawling than a horrible scream from one of the cows.  They must have taken down one, perhaps a calf, not sure but wasn't long before several ranchers were out with shotguns blasting. 

In the last month 7 of our older cats have disappeared and I'm fairly certain the coyotes got them!  I've seen them go after a friends little dog, it was so close to her he couldn't get a good shot, he fired in the air and the coyote backed off some giving him a chance to get the dog in but it didn't leave.   I think they are getting braver and much more territorial
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »

Thanks, guys. I'm just sick about the whole situation. Today, I've toyed with getting a real fence. That would be financially hard for me to do. I can tell you that there is no wildlife agency that's going to help. I've talked with every one I know today, and they all say the same thing; they're looking for rabbits, raccoons, deer, squirrels, rodents, etc. and they pose no threat to humans. They say cats are a target but that a medium sized dog isn't generally at the top of their list. I got a little heated with one of the agents today, but he came back with, "Keep your dog on a leash that you're holding and it shouldn't be a problem".
<respectfully snipped>

BBM

The two year old child was bigger than a cat.     Attacks on humans are rare, but they occur.  And coyotes will attack a weak target, such as an older, larger dog and we know they also work together in numbers. 

http://www.kxan.com/news/coyote-drags-2yearold-girl-at-s-calif-cemetery_53023148
Coyote drags 2-year-old girl at S. Calif. cemetery
July 23, 2013
CYPRESS, Calif. (AP) — A 2-year-old girl is recovering after she was bitten and dragged by a coyote at a Southern California cemetery.

The Orange County Register (http://bit.ly/1baABM7 ) reports Klarissa Barrera, of Long Beach, was given a rabies shot and treated for a 2 1/2-inch gash on her calf.

She was attacked 10 feet from her mother Thursday as the family visited a relative's grave at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Cypress.

Michelle Luper says the coyote bit her daughter on the back and dragged her toward some bushes. Luper says she screamed and lunged, and the coyote let go.

State wildfire officials later shot and killed three coyotes at the cemetery.

Also, humans get involved and they can be in danger because when our pets are threatened, chances are, we won't be bystanders.  Governor Rick Perry shot a coyote that was threatening his dog on a jogging trail.  His dog was bigger than a cat (a labrador pup big enough to take out jogging) and a human was present, and the coyote didn't seem to care.

http://www.kxan.com/news/gov-perry-shoots-a-coyote-while-jogging
Gov. Perry shoots coyote while jogging
Perry packs pistol in case of snakes

Published April 27, 2013, Updated April 28, 2013

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »

At the end of the day, we live among wild creatures and common sense should prevail.  Here are some safety tips:

http://www.kvue.com/home/Possible-coyote-sighting-at-North-Austin-elementary-school-195406331.html
Possible coyote sighting at North Austin school
March 5, 2013

Here are safety tips from Texas Parks and Wildlife:
Store garbage securely.
Avoid hiking alone, and avoid hiking at dusk, dawn or after dark.
When you hike, travel in a group and carry a walking stick and/or pepper spray.
Keep pets indoors or in kennels with a roof.
If you encounter an animal that seems unsafe:
Stay calm and slowly move away while maintaining eye contact.
Do not run or turn your back to the animal.
Raise your arms, throw rocks or sticks and/or speak firmly and loudly to try to scare the animal away.
If attacked, fight back.

Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »

Hi Monkeys, Hope you are all well!!!  Been a long long time. Cappuccino, could you shoot me an e-mail, need to discuss something with you when you have time. CBB you are not the first I have read posting of seeing Coyotes in their yards, seems to be an issue this year more so then in the past. Looks like you have been given some good advice. 

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »

Hi Monkeys, Hope you are all well!!!  Been a long long time. Cappuccino, could you shoot me an e-mail, need to discuss something with you when you have time. CBB you are not the first I have read posting of seeing Coyotes in their yards, seems to be an issue this year more so then in the past. Looks like you have been given some good advice. 

my e-mail addy is d_nicks@yahoo.com, forgot to add it.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »

I've got three different companies coming to give me estimates on a fence. So, I'll bake cookies this year for Christmas presents and invite everyone to come look at the new fence while they eat them.   

The most promising deterrent I could find online was a recording of a cougar that runs on batteries. It's in a case that is weatherproof and you hang it in a tree. Every 5-7 minutes it plays a variety of cougar noises. I'm not sure the neighbors would appreciate it..........

However, it had really high customer satisfaction ratings and many stories of multiple cat owners who had lost a couple of cats due to coyote attacks and were able to keep the rest undisturbed, after using it. Coyotes must be smart. They said you had to camoflauge hide it well because they would figure out they were being duped if you didn't.

Where's the spell checker??   

On a brighter note, this little bunny is full of himself. God love him!!   

http://dogwork.com/buhr9
crazybabyborg
« Reply #315 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »

At the end of the day, we live among wild creatures and common sense should prevail.  Here are some safety tips:

http://www.kvue.com/home/Possible-coyote-sighting-at-North-Austin-elementary-school-195406331.html
Possible coyote sighting at North Austin school
March 5, 2013

Here are safety tips from Texas Parks and Wildlife:
Store garbage securely. check
Avoid hiking alone, and avoid hiking at dusk, dawn or after dark. I avoid hiking at all costs with no problem whatsoever. Trust me.
When you hike, travel in a group and carry a walking stick and/or pepper spray. I would have to travel with a group so they could carry me.
Keep pets indoors or in kennels with a roof. Kubear owns the house. I'm lucky if I can talk her into sharing with me my own side of the bed.
If you encounter an animal that seems unsafe:
Stay calm and slowly move away while maintaining eye contact. Right now, I'm so enraged, I'm sure I could strangle a coyote with my bare hands, and make the cougar noises sound like kitty purrs.
Do not run or turn your back to the animal. If I ran, it would be right at them; full frontal attack.
Raise your arms, throw rocks or sticks and/or speak firmly and loudly to try to scare the animal away. No problem. They would be scared.
If attacked, fight back. Hope that advice is for me and not them. Given a chance, I would most definitely attack.

Thanks, Muffy! 
Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #316 on: August 29, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

CBB your pool looks so inviting right now, it has been terribly hot, maybe that is why the wildlife seem to be roaming out of normal territories?

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #317 on: August 29, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »

wanted to share

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

wanted to share

for some reason my photo did not post..    http://twitpic.com/crs6dm

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »

http://twitpic.com/crs6gv
another, life has been keeping me busy.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.