March 28, 2024, 11:40:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #61 04/22/13 - 12/03/14  (Read 420819 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #660 on: January 20, 2014, 02:35:22 AM »

So glad you're safe, Klaas!  I read that Gov. Brown declared the State to be in an emergency situation due to the drought, and that the farmers were struggling. I hope rain comes soon!

Blue Moon, I made a huge pot of beef stew about a week ago and it fed 6 people for days!  It took 3 skillets of cornbread to keep up with the amount of stew but nobody tired of it and not a drop was left! Some days are just made for cozy, comfort food and I'm sure your soup was a real treat!   
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #661 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »

Thanks, GE! We're plugging along...... the repair work hasn't started yet and I'm still arguing with my adjuster, but we'll see....

Hope you're staying warm! I'm soooo ready for summer!!

I sure hope they are plugging along with you. Why does it seem it takes forever to get the repairs done. Prayers they get it done soon and your adjuster gets an adjustment. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #662 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »

Hope everyone is staying warm with the new sweep of cold weather.  We've been making variations of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Pears for a warm up.  There are various recipes on the web, but I found carmelizing the onions is an improvement.  I also roast the pears with the squash and use nutmeg and a dash of cinnamon while roasting.  After it's all done and it's soup and in the bowl ready to serve, I put a good sized table spoon of goat cheese in the bowl and let it melt, stirring it in. (I saw one recipe that adds Stilton cheese, but I don't keep that on hand like I do the crumbly goat cheese)  I find it adds a nice creaminess to the soup, and is a contrast to the sweet.  I haven't tried adding ginger yet.  Some recipes suggest rosemary and that would sure be a taste changer.      

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #663 on: January 23, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »

Hope everyone is staying warm with the new sweep of cold weather.  We've been making variations of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Pears for a warm up.  There are various recipes on the web, but I found carmelizing the onions is an improvement.  I also roast the pears with the squash and use nutmeg and a dash of cinnamon while roasting.  After it's all done and it's soup and in the bowl ready to serve, I put a good sized table spoon of goat cheese in the bowl and let it melt, stirring it in. (I saw one recipe that adds Stilton cheese, but I don't keep that on hand like I do the crumbly goat cheese)  I find it adds a nice creaminess to the soup, and is a contrast to the sweet.  I haven't tried adding ginger yet.  Some recipes suggest rosemary and that would sure be a taste changer.      

That sounds so good Muffy.   I have never tried butternut squash in anything but I will have to give it a try.

CBB, you got me wanting Beef Stew so I have a big crockpot full cooking now.  Will make another iron skillet full of cornbread to go along with it.  Yum, yum.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #664 on: January 23, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »

That sounds so good Muffy.   I have never tried butternut squash in anything but I will have to give it a try.

CBB, you got me wanting Beef Stew so I have a big crockpot full cooking now.  Will make another iron skillet full of cornbread to go along with it.  Yum, yum.

Okay, after reading "iron skillet full of cornbread", in your post bluemoon,  it's time for me to fire up the oven and make some too!     I use an old iron skillet I got from my mom, and it was one of her wedding gifts, so it's an oldie but goodie. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #665 on: January 23, 2014, 07:51:14 PM »

Okay, after reading "iron skillet full of cornbread", in your post bluemoon,  it's time for me to fire up the oven and make some too!     I use an old iron skillet I got from my mom, and it was one of her wedding gifts, so it's an oldie but goodie. 

The older the iron skillet the better.  I have one from my mom that is at least 50 years old.  It only gets better with age.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #666 on: January 23, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »

I know I'm a little late to post this - I just wanted to say THANK YOU MONKEY'S for all of the kind words that you posted in response to losing my dog, Jack.  They really meant a lot!  I still have some bad days - really trying to concentrate on all the good times and there were many!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #667 on: January 23, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »

I know I'm a little late to post this - I just wanted to say THANK YOU MONKEY'S for all of the kind words that you posted in response to losing my dog, Jack.  They really meant a lot!  I still have some bad days - really trying to concentrate on all the good times and there were many!

KCJackie  Miss you

GOD BLESS AMERICA
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #668 on: January 24, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »

KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #669 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »

Could a Mod please remove the 1st pic I posted - I kinda forgot how to post pics, sorry.

Done
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:31:46 PM by klaasend » Logged
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #670 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »

KCJackie  Miss you
Miss you too!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #671 on: January 24, 2014, 01:25:13 AM »

Good one

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #672 on: January 24, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »

It's good to "see" you!!       

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #673 on: January 25, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »

I am just drained tonight.  Was fixing supper when I read this big bang, went to the door and a truck had hit a car.  It crushed the car and banged up the truck pretty good.  Had 3 ambulances, 2 fire trucks and 3 state troopers.  It looked like at least everyone in both vehicles were transported to the hospital.

My nerves can't handle anymore excitement today.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #674 on: January 25, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »

I am just drained tonight.  Was fixing supper when I read this big bang, went to the door and a truck had hit a car.  It crushed the car and banged up the truck pretty good.  Had 3 ambulances, 2 fire trucks and 3 state troopers.  It looked like at least everyone in both vehicles were transported to the hospital.

My nerves can't handle anymore excitement today.

Blue Moon  Get some rest. Sending healing prayers your way. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
crazybabyborg
« Reply #675 on: January 26, 2014, 01:15:41 AM »

The Butternut squash soup sounds Yummy, Muffy!! I'm going to look up the recipe and follow your tips! 

I have two iron skillets that are exclusive to cornbread; one was Mom's and the other was Granny's. Don't ever wash them! Just wipe them out and they'll never stick. Did you know that food cooked in an iron skillet really does add iron, as a nutrient to the food? It's actually very good for you. Here's an article about it: http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/does-cooking-cast-iron-pots-and-pans-add-iron-our-food

KCJackie, I was hoping you'd check back in and let us know how you're doing. I wish there was something I could do to make it easier. You're in my thoughts and prayers! 
KuBear has hit a glitch. She's done so well, but almost stopped eating altogether a few days ago and has had loose stools. She doesn't feel well. You can just tell. I'll take her to the Vet Monday unless she makes a turn around tomorrow. I've hand fed her a few mouthfuls of chicken but she won't eat but a few bites of even that. I'm scared of what they're going to tell me, but we'll see.

BlueMoon........ treat yourself and just stay in bed all day! It's really, really rare, but every once in a "Blue Moon" when I get the chance, I stay in my jammies all day, and it does me a WORLD of good!

Hope everyone is staying warm and cozy!!

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #676 on: January 26, 2014, 01:57:26 AM »

Oh Monkeys this doesn't sound good and the maps look frightful. Take care Monkeys

http://weather.aol.com/2014/01/25/next-polar-plunge-could-be-winters-coldest/?ncid=webmail3

While harsh cold is returning to the Midwest and Northeast this weekend, it will pale in comparison to what will follow for Monday through Wednesday.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #677 on: January 26, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »

CBB -  See if KuBear will eat a spoonful of canned pumpkin with her chicken or even try smearing some on her tongue.  (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) Sometimes this will help with the loose stools and of course if she's drinking water or you can get her to drink water, it's helpful.  By brother put some ice cubes in his pugs water and she would drink more that way.  She got where she would bark when she was ready to have her drink freshened up. (no olive or garnish  ) The little loving things we do for our elderly and/or ailing pets    You've taken good care of KuBear, CBB.  I'm hoping and praying for the best. 

crazybabyborg
« Reply #678 on: January 26, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »

Oh Monkeys this doesn't sound good and the maps look frightful. Take care Monkeys

http://weather.aol.com/2014/01/25/next-polar-plunge-could-be-winters-coldest/?ncid=webmail3

While harsh cold is returning to the Midwest and Northeast this weekend, it will pale in comparison to what will follow for Monday through Wednesday.

I hadn't looked ahead until seeing your post, but you're right GE, it doesn't look good!  I'm going to keep my eye further down the road, after this next Big Chill! Saturday's high is supposed to be 57*! 

Thanks for the kindness, Muffy. I'll try your suggestions with KuBear. She's no better today, so we'll head to the Vet's office in the morning. Any good thoughts her way are appreciated! She's done so well up until now. I'm holding on to that.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #679 on: January 26, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »

I hadn't looked ahead until seeing your post, but you're right GE, it doesn't look good!  I'm going to keep my eye further down the road, after this next Big Chill! Saturday's high is supposed to be 57*! 

Thanks for the kindness, Muffy. I'll try your suggestions with KuBear. She's no better today, so we'll head to the Vet's office in the morning. Any good thoughts her way are appreciated! She's done so well up until now. I'm holding on to that.

This winter weather is crazy. But I guess it goes along with everything else in the world today.

Sending Prayers and positive thoughts for KuBear. Hoping she is just having a bad spell and will comeback around and be her self.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.