April 24, 2024, 06:28:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Jones 1931 - 2013  (Read 24745 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »

George Jones
1931 -2013

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »

http://www.statesman.com/ap/ap/entertainment/george-jones-country-superstar-has-died-at-82/nXYdt/
George Jones, country superstar, has died at 81
April 26, 2013

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — George Jones, the peerless, hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets and peaked with the heartbreaking classic "He Stopped Loving Her Today," has died. He was 81.
Jones died Friday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, according to his publicist Kirt Webster. He was hospitalized with fever and irregular blood pressure, forcing him to postpone two shows.

With one of the most golden voices of any genre, a clenched, precise, profoundly expressive baritone, Jones had No. 1 songs in five separate decades, 1950s to 1990s. He was idolized not just by fellow country artists, but by Frank Sinatra, Pete Townshend, Elvis Costello, James Taylor and countless others. "If we all could sound like we wanted to, we'd all sound like George Jones," Waylon Jennings once sang.
In a career that lasted more than 50 years, "Possum" evolved from young honky-tonker to elder statesman as he recorded more than 150 albums and became the champion and symbol of traditional country music, a well-lined link to his hero, Hank Williams. Jones survived long battles with alcoholism and drug addiction, brawls, accidents and close encounters with death, including bypass surgery and a tour bus crash that he only avoided by deciding at the last moment to take a plane.

His failure to appear for concerts left him with the nickname "No Show Jones," and he later recorded a song by that name and often opened his shows by singing it. His wild life was revealed in song and in his handsome, troubled face, with its dark, deep-set eyes and dimpled chin.
In song, he was rowdy and regretful, tender and tragic. His hits included the sentimental "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes," the foot-tapping "The Race is On," the foot-stomping "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair," the melancholy "She Thinks I Still Care," the rockin' "White Lightning," and the barfly lament "Still Doing Time." Jones also recorded several duets with Tammy Wynette, his wife for six years, including "Golden Ring," ''Near You," ''Southern California" and "We're Gonna Hold On." He also sang with such peers as Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard and with Costello and other rock performers.

But his signature song was "He Stopped Loving Her Today," a weeper among weepers about a man who carries his love for a woman to his grave. The 1980 ballad, which Jones was sure would never be a hit, often appears on surveys as the most popular country song of all time.
Jones won Grammy awards in 1981 for "He Stopped Loving Her Today" and in 1999 for "Choices." He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992 and in 2008 was among the artists honored in Washington at the Kennedy Center.
Jones continued to make appearances and put out records, though his hit records declined.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »

He Stopped Loving Her Today
George Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqsRHE5cvU

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »

I am so sad.  George Jones is and always will be my favorite singer.  I am beating myself up because I didn't make it to his concert here in February.  My last chance to see him in person Sad  Bless him and his family.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »

http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7225751

added by Kathy Sue Adkins[/img]

George Jones

Birth:  Sep. 12, 1931
Death:  Apr. 26, 2013

Country Music Singer and Actor. Born in Saratoga, Texas, he was the eighth child born to George Sr. and Clara Jones. At age nine his parents encouraged him to start singing and playing the guitar. He soon began to perform at various events and church functions in the Saratoga area. A few years later his family would move to Beaumont, Texas, where George Jones began to play on street corners for tips. In 1947, he got his first paying gig at Beaumont's Playgrounds. After playing at dance halls and clubs in Southeast Texas Houston record producer H.W "Pappy Dailey" saw one of his shows and signed him. He then recorded George's first hit, "Why Baby Why" in 1955. He would go on to record his most famous and admired song "He Stopped Loving Her Today," which influenced many contempory country stars,
more...

an angelic monkey

George Jones words were crystal clear, you could wrap your head and heart around his songs. 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/nashvilles-grand-ole-opry-house-to-hold-public-funeral-for-country-star-george-jones/2013/04/28/efdc582a-b053-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html
Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry House to hold public funeral for country star George Jones
April 28, 2013

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »

http://tasteofcountry.com/george-jones-funeral-westboro-baptist-church/
Westboro Baptist Church to Picket George Jones’ Funeral
May 1, 2013

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »

http://www.nashvillegab.com/2013/05/george-jones-funeral-to-be-televised-.html
May 01, 2013
George Jones' funeral to be televised

George Jones’ funeral will take place on Thursday, May 2nd at The Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, Tennessee, starting at 10 am (Central) and will be open to the public. Doors will open at 9 am.

In addition, national television networks CMT, GAC, RFD, and FamilyNet, as well as local Nashville stations WKRN 2, WSMV 4, WTVF 5, WZTV 17 will broadcast the funeral service “LIVE”, with radio partners WSM 650AM and SiriusXM Willie's Roadhouse (Ch. 56) broadcasting the service.

Fans around the world can listen online at wsmonline.com or watch online at opry.com.
Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »

http://www.opry.com/georgejones/

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=att_lego_portal_trending&p=George%20Jones%20sausage

Beautiful slide photo's of George Jones.

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »

Thank you seahorse. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »

http://tasteofcountry.com/keith-richards-on-george-jones/
Keith Richards on George Jones: ‘He Was Pure American Music’
May 6, 2013

Of all of the accolades and remembrances that have poured in about George Jones since the singer’s passing on (April 26), none is more unexpected — or genuinely touching — than that of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards.

In a statement to Rolling Stone, the musician praised Jones as “pure American music.”

Though the Stones are known primarily for their R&B-drenched rock, the group has essayed country many times in their career. Richards was a fan who became a collaborator and friend after he participated in Jones’ 1994 album ‘The Bradley Barn Sessions,’ according to ABC News Radio. The Tennessean newspaper in Nashville reported last week that Richards had recently confirmed his participation in Jones’ farewell concert, which was scheduled to take place at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena in November.

(see full text of his statement)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

http://tasteofcountry.com/george-jones-monument/
George Jones to Be Honored Through Future Monument, His Wife Announces
June 8, 2013

GeorgeJones.com

The late George Jones was a legend in country music, and his impact on the genre will live on in more ways than one. Soon, a monument will be constructed for Jones at Woodlawn Cemetery, where he is buried.

In anticipation of devoted fans who will be paying their respects at his graveside — especially those who are in his Nashville hometown for the CMA eMusic Festival — a plaque has been placed at the cemetery temporarily by the singer’s late wife, Nancy Jones. It alerts mourners to the anticipated Jones monument, even including a mockup of what the tribute may look like.

“This is a rendering of the monument that is being prepared and will be placed in the coming weeks,” she writes. “Thank you for all your love and support shown to George and to me.”

The words “He stopped loving her today” will run across the top of the monument — a nod to perhaps Jones’ most famous hit. It’s likely to be extremely large and ornate, also including a guitar.
More...

BBM

That would be country music & George Jones was larger than life. A fitting tribute.   JMHO   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »

http://theboot.com/randy-travis-george-jones-tribute/
Randy Travis Says He and George Jones Had a Lot in Common
June 28, 2013

Randy Travis delivered one of the standout performances at George Jones‘ funeral, and he’s just released a new single, ‘Tonight I’m Playin’ Possum,’ as a tribute to the iconic singer. In a new interview, Travis says he had a lot in common with Jones, both musically and otherwise.

“Both of us are obviously just country boys who came up through years of playing at nightclubs before actually having a record deal,’ Travis tells the Chicago Sun-Times. “We were both, no doubt, traditionalists all the way through. And I learned so much about singing from George Jones just by listening to him. There was a stretch of years where every hit he had, I was learning them to sing in clubs.”

That’s not all they had in common. Jones’ penchant for alcohol and erratic behavior was almost as much a part of his legend as his music, earning him headlines again and again over the course of decades. Travis has often admitted to a troubled youth that included drugs and alcohol, arrests and fights, and after decades of sobriety he slipped in recent years, resulting in a series of arrests and public embarrassments that trace back to alcohol.

That journey back includes a new album that Travis will release later this year. ‘Tonight I’m Playin’ Possum’ is the advance single from that project.

“I had a request through Warner Brothers to record the song as a tribute to George Jones, and after listening to it, I wanted to very much,” Travis says. “It’s just a wonderful piece of writing. And what I wanted to accomplish by doing it is simply what it is — a tribute to George. Many people in this business will say that he’s the greatest country singer that ever lived, and I agree. I thought a lot of him.”

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »

http://theboot.com/george-jones-gospel-album-release-date/
George Jones’ Gospel Album Gets Release Date
July 31, 2013

Bandit Records

A gospel album George Jones recorded years before his death is finally going to be released to the public. ‘Amazing Grace’ is slated to drop later this year.

The bulk of the album is made up of tracks Jones recorded in 2002 with his longtime producer, Billy Sherrill. The tracks mark the last recording sessions between them, which only took place after Jones convinced a reluctant Sherrill to come out of retirement specifically for that project. The project also represents the only album of entirely gospel material Jones ever recorded.

The track features an all-star lineup including Waylon Jennings, Jessi Colter, Travis Tritt, Ricky Skaggs, Marty Stuart and Connie Smith.

Amazing Grace’ is set for release via Bandit Records on Sept. 10, just two days before Jones would have turned 82. Jones was a partner in the label, and his widow, Nancy Jones, continues that involvement. According to a press release, the commercial release of ‘Amazing Grace’ was already planned prior to Jones’ passing, with the singer’s full knowledge and blessing.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 07:43:20 PM »

http://tasteofcountry.com/randy-travis-tonight-im-playing-possum/
Randy Travis, ‘Tonight I’m Playing Possum’ – Song Review
July 30, 2013

Warner Brothers Records

It’s possible the context in which Randy Travis releases his new single ‘Tonight I’m Playing Possum’ could cause fans and critics to overstate its impact. Then again, maybe not. There are, after all, only so many words available to heap effusive praise on this brilliantly composed and performed traditional ballad.

You’re not alive if Travis’ deep bellow doesn’t touch every raw nerve on your body. In a world of musical snack food, his song (written by Keith Gattis) is a 16-ounce T-bone. He’s talking about George Jones, of course — a man Travis called a friend and idol. “So find a drink or find a road, I’m ’bout to drop a needle on some ol’ No Show,” he sings to begin each chorus of ‘Tonight I’m Playing Possum.’ A better lyric likely won’t come in 2013.

“You’re gonna want an ashtray and a bottle / I’m going deep, I’m going long ’til I run that needle through every last song, he ever sung / So pour ‘em strong and smoke ‘em if you got ‘em / Boys, tonight I’m playing Possum.”

Jones died on April 26, about 10 weeks before Travis entered the hospital with heart troubles. Joe Nichols recorded the song as a duet with Travis, but his voice is left off this new version, as often happens when artists from different labels collaborate. While the Nichols version is special, it’s a new experience listening to Travis pour his heart out across the full three minutes and forty seconds. And he truly does pour everything he has into the track.

With so many questions about Travis’ health, it’s fair to wonder if ‘Tonight I’m Playing Possum’ will be his final recording. The song will either prove to be a fitting end for one of country’s all-time vocalists, or the start of a very exciting chapter.

Click on icon at bottom of article at link to Listen to Randy Travis, ‘Tonight I’m Playing Possum’

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »

http://tasteofcountry.com/george-jones-monument/
George Jones to Be Honored Through Future Monument, His Wife Announces
June 8, 2013

GeorgeJones.com

The late George Jones was a legend in country music, and his impact on the genre will live on in more ways than one. Soon, a monument will be constructed for Jones at Woodlawn Cemetery, where he is buried.

In anticipation of devoted fans who will be paying their respects at his graveside — especially those who are in his Nashville hometown for the CMA eMusic Festival — a plaque has been placed at the cemetery temporarily by the singer’s late wife, Nancy Jones. It alerts mourners to the anticipated Jones monument, even including a mockup of what the tribute may look like.

“This is a rendering of the monument that is being prepared and will be placed in the coming weeks,” she writes. “Thank you for all your love and support shown to George and to me.”

The words “He stopped loving her today” will run across the top of the monument — a nod to perhaps Jones’ most famous hit. It’s likely to be extremely large and ornate, also including a guitar.
More...

BBM

That would be country music & George Jones was larger than life. A fitting tribute.   JMHO   

A giantic guitar is the only thing they need for a momument. 
This stupid cement wall is a junky piece of junk Smile., IMO.

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »

So sweet! 

http://tasteofcountry.com/george-jones-twin-grandbabies/
George Jones’ Great-Grandchildren Born, Receive Sealed Letter From Singer
August 19, 2013

GeorgeJones.com

Had George Jones not passed away nearly four months ago, he’d be gushing over his new great-grandchildren this week. The dark-haired boy and girl twins were born to the legend’s granddaughter, Jennifer Stultz, on Aug. 9, and they received a special present from the Possum.

Prior to his death, Jones wrote and sealed a letter for the babies, whose names have not yet been announced. Stultz told Nashville television station WZTV that she thinks the singer knew he wouldn’t live to see August, so he asked wife Nancy for a legal pad and wrote them a letter.

“It’s like having a voice from Heaven,” Stultz said prior to the birth. “You get a letter from Heaven.”
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »

2013 CMA AWARDS ALAN JACKSON & GEORGE STRAIT DEDICATION TO GEORGE JONES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtddN5-2DGg

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.