April 19, 2024, 03:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angelina Jolie reveals she had preventive double mastectomy after discovering  (Read 3183 times)
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 14, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »

Angelina Jolie reveals she had preventive double mastectomy after discovering cancer gene
Angelina Jolie says she underwent a preventive double mastectomy earlier this year after learning she carries a gene that increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
In a New York Times op-ed published late Monday, the 37-year-old Academy Award winner writes that after genetic testing she learned she carries the "faulty" BRCA1 gene.
The risk of developing cancer due to the gene varies, but Jolie says doctors estimated she had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-reveals-had-preventive-double-mastectomy-after-discovering/#ixzz2THzwQ0rU

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »

Brave...very brave..I applaud her.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

Why won't our insurance company's pay for woman to take this test to see if we carry the BRCA1 gene'
 In the long run wouldn't that be cheaper for them.
 My cousin had breast cancer she went through hell, my uncles sisters all died from Brest Cancer if she was aloud to take this test I wonder what she would have done .
 Right now she's OK but she goes for testing all of the time
She is a brave woman.
Does anyone know if someone like in Angelina Jolie's  case  having a Double Mastectomy do they take out off the nipple too?

Just asking because my Girlfriends Mom died from Breast Cancer and she has a lump that they are testing .
 I wonder if it's too late for this option  for her 

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »

I think Anglelina made a good decision.  Life is so precious.  My Mom was found to have invasive breast cancer (not same thing Angie was looking at) in one breast last year and opted for a lumpectomy and radiation plus chemo instead of a mastectomy.   She didn't want to have a mastectomy even at her age of 79, because it would be disfiguring.  It was her decision, but I was disappointed as was the rest of the family.    I hold her life to be much more important than vanity.  And, she could have had reconstruction.  With her situation, it could have cut the odds of it in the other breast and etc. They don't call it "invasive" for nothing.   But that is just my opinion.  And I think Angelia sharing with the public may save lives because she's brought awareness. 

I came across this interesting article about testing.  Not to take away from anyone or anything, but it appears the type of cancer Angelina might face is a small percentage of the population.  Of course, it you or a loved one is in that population, testing can be saving your life.  There is information contained in the article below that may help a person and their doctor make decisions.  If any or you are reading this and you see these things could apply to you, your family members or your friends, please see a doctor soon.  I think it's good to have information. 

http://healthblog.dallasnews.com/2013/05/the-3000-dollar-question-should-you-consider-testing-for-breast-cancer.html/
The 3000-dollar question: should you consider testing for breast cancer?
May 17, 2013

I very much appreciate the Angelina Jolie’s courage in her writings posted in the New York Times this past week. Sharing personal medical experience can make a person feel vulnerable and weak. More often however, sharing an emotional health crisis or event, can give individuals more  strength to complete their medical journey and enlighten those with similar paths.

While Angelina’s decision to undergo testing was necessary for her, it is not a beneficial test for most women.  So before everyone goes running to their doctor for BRCA testing, here is some basic information (BRCA “101” as I like to call it).

The BRCA1 and BRCA2 are genes that suppress (curb) tumors.  The names stand for breast cancer susceptibility gene 1 and breast cancer susceptibility gene 2. Mutated (abnormal) BRAC 1 and 2 genes are linked to breast and ovarian cancer among families (hereditary).

While testing involves a simple blood test, it should not be performed without professional genetic counseling.  Very few people are candidates for the test that costs runs between several hundred and several thousand dollars (up to 3000 dollars). There is a possibility that it may not be completely covered by medical insurance. If tests return abnormal, then significant life-altering choices including surgery should be reviewed.  In addition, abnormal results may need to be reported on life or disability insurance applications and may affect eligibility for coverage.

The families at highest risk are those with a history of multiple cases of breast cancer, cases of both breast and ovarian cancer, one or more family members with two primary cancers, or people with Ashkenazi (Central/Eastern European) Jewish background.

It is very important to know that not every woman (or man) in these families has the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene and not every cancer among these families is linked to the mutations.  In addition, possessing the harmful BRCA1 o r BRCA2 mutation does not mean a man or woman will develop breast and/or ovarian cancer. Very importantly, only 5-10% of ovarian and breast cancers are hereditary.

Ok, hold your breath.  This is a large load of information to soak in your brain.

The likelihood of a harmful mutation with BRCA1 or BRCA2 is increased in the following people according to cancer.gov, *

Two first- degree relatives (mother, daughter or sister) diagnosed with breast cancer, one of who was diagnosed at less than 50 years of age.
Three or more first degree or second-degree (grandmother or aunt) relatives diagnosed with breast cancer regardless of age at diagnosis
A combination of first-and second-degree relatives diagnosed with breast cancer and ovarian cancer (one cancer type per person)
A first –degree relative with cancer diagnosed in both breasts
A combination of two or more first- or second-degree relatives diagnosed with ovarian cancer regardless of age at diagnosis
A first or second degree relative diagnosed with both breast and ovarian cancer regardless of age at diagnosis
Breast cancer diagnosed in a male relative
*For women who are not of Ashkenazi Jewish descent

For women of Ashkenazi Jewish descent:

1.  Any first-degree relative diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer

2. Two second-degree relatives on the same side of the family diagnosed with        breast or ovarian cancer.

Only about 2% of adult women in the general population meet any of the above criteria.  A woman with none of these patterns has a low probability of having the BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »

I agree she made a very difficult, yet smart decision.  She values life and is selfless in the sense that she wants to be there to raise her children. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

I agree she made a very difficult, yet smart decision.  She values life and is selfless in the sense that she wants to be there to raise her children. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.