March 18, 2024, 08:33:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Playground - Come Join Us! (New Name Same Old Place)  (Read 1021584 times)
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #440 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »

Hey there 4Donks!!

I'm soooo glad to hear your recovery is going well!

We missed you around here- keep on keeping on!

Caddy and Chubbie
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #441 on: July 31, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

Hi
Went to the surgeon yesterday to be scoped after the radiation and chemo. NO SIGN  of CANCER !!!!
I have to go back to be scoped every 8 wks for the 1st year. My throat and vocal cords are still swollen therefor no voice. I also have an area of hemorrhage  on my right vocal cord that he thinks is caused by acid reflux, vomiting and or coughing. We’re working on all of the possible causes. They also ran blood tests for thyroid function. Apparently the radiation can cause the thyroid to cease functioning but can be easily treated with meds.
I’m getting better every day but I have the no patience. I want to be back to normal yesterday. They tell me I’m progressing rapidly.
I want to give a special thanks to Green Eyes for letting me bitch about recovery. She is a Saint.
Next week I go back to the Cancer Center for a Pet Scan and follow-up.
Once again I'm so grateful for all your thoughts and prayers.
I am so glad to hear you are doing well!  Remember, you will heal, just have to wait a bit - but I am not good at waiting either so I get what you are saying!  You will remain in my prayers!

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #442 on: July 31, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

Hi
Went to the surgeon yesterday to be scoped after the radiation and chemo. NO SIGN  of CANCER !!!!
I have to go back to be scoped every 8 wks for the 1st year. My throat and vocal cords are still swollen therefor no voice. I also have an area of hemorrhage  on my right vocal cord that he thinks is caused by acid reflux, vomiting and or coughing. We’re working on all of the possible causes. They also ran blood tests for thyroid function. Apparently the radiation can cause the thyroid to cease functioning but can be easily treated with meds.
I’m getting better every day but I have the no patience. I want to be back to normal yesterday. They tell me I’m progressing rapidly.
I want to give a special thanks to Green Eyes for letting me bitch about recovery. She is a Saint.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear the good news 4Donks.
What did you tell Tevy way back " It takes Time"  You are one of the strongest people I know. If I was a drinking women I would have a few of these to celebrate. But will wait until you get your voice back. I am sure the donks and pups are waiting to hear your voice again too. You are welcome we all need to be able to have someone to bitch at. Although I don't think you really did all that much.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #443 on: July 31, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »

Hi

Yes, we have been thinking of you and hoping you are rapidly getting better. Guess we all have to have more patience. No sign of cancer is GREAT!

Sorry about your vocal cord situation. That must be frustrating. Hope the acid reflus/vomiting and coughing abate very soon, so you have a physical voice!

You have a loud, positive voice here on the forum, no matter what!

We have missed you and it's so good to hear from you!

Yes, GE is a very sweet, supportive lady!

Keep improving, 4 Donks!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #444 on: July 31, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »

Hi

Oh 4Donks, so happy for your progress.  Praise God.  Be patient with your body -- it's doing a remarkable work!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #445 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »

Wanted to share with you the e-mail I sent Connie's boys and my sister and my brother and Dennis:

Wanted to provide all of you with an update on Connie's trip to XXXXXXXXX to get her driver's license renewed. I'm also going to share my observations on where Connie is now -- mentally, emotionally, and physically, as I see it. Don't know how accurate this will be, as it is just my perspective.

First, Connie failed the driving tests. She did well, but not good enough. She tried very, very hard and it was painful for me to watch her struggling so much. She can go back and be re-tested, but that will have to come after some work on her part. They may offer some training as well. We will wait and see what the reports say. (The testers were very nice and very kind and did their best to work with her. I am so glad I was there to help interpret.) In all fairness, we were not prepared for what she was going to be tested on and had we known, we could have practiced at least part of it. The nail in the stop sign was -- they tested her on using her left foot to apply the gas and monitored how quickly she could put on the brakes (as if a child was running out in front of you). It was slow. This is something that can be practiced and not only physically, but mentally as well. If you've been driving for years using your right foot, the brain has to be retrained to use the left foot. But as I said, this was the nail and not in and of itself, the complete picture.

But let me start with Monday. Thinking now in terms of driving ability. The test was a lot of visual perceptions like matching numbers which were in circles to the next number in a circle without lifting your pencil from the paper. This was a timed exercise. Another was going from the number 1 to the letter A and then to number 2 and then letter B, the number 3 to letter C, etc. Connie did not do so well with this either. Part of what I learned Monday is Connie processes information differently than she did before her stroke (like when she counts, she has to keep starting from the beginning to get to the number she wants). She was asked to print her name, address, date of birth, and the date. She could not recall all of what was asked. We get a lot of "what"s from her, and now I know why. She is trying to process what we are saying and it may seem elementary to us, but to her processing ability it is confusing. I learned that instead of repeating the exact same thing, it is far better to rephrase the sentence or question. Additionally, verbal multiple choice is confusing. She was tested on which was closer, object A, object B, or object C. The better question was which is closer. This may too sound elementary, but in her processing, it is where it is. There was a lot more, of course, but the bottom line for me was her processing ability and our challenge to converse with her where she is processing.

On Tuesday, we awoke at 6:30 with Connie being sick to her stomach. Having spent the previous day and night with her, I know for sure it was not something she ate nor was it her medicine as she had not even taken it yet. She was violently sick for more than an hour, but was determined to take the test at 10 a.m. Truthfully, I think I would have passed on it, but she was very determined. What I think made her sick was on Monday she had to do quite a bit of walking (for her). That included at the rehab and at the motel. With her sinuses being as many of ours are, that congestion had settled in her stomach and because of the walking was going to come out. Bottom line, she has got to start walking more for lots of reasons. She needs this exercise not only for her physical well-being but her mental well-being. Staying in the villa almost 24/7 has lead to a sedentary life which is of no benefit. XXXX and XXXX, I know we have tried to talk to her about this, but to no avail. Now, if she really wants to pass this driving test, she is going to have to do it. She uses the excuses she is in pain, the brace is not right, etc. She probably is in pain, the brace may not be 100% -- but, she is going to have to learn to live with it (without so much medication) and work through it. It will be something she will not want to do, which is understandable. We would all like to live a pain-free life. For her, it ain't going to happen and she must decide what she wants more in her life -- pain-free or driving (using driving here as the carrot).

I'm giving this a lot of thought as to how and help her realize what has got to happen and what the consequences are for her decisions. How to move her from a type-A person, to good is good enough (it doesn't have to be perfect anymore). Bottom line is she is not motivated to help herself and many of the things she learned in rehab have fallen by the wayside. She was even having a difficult time knowing her colors (red, green, and yellow).

When she got in the car to leave on Tuesday, she was mentally and physically exhausted. Sorry XXX we couldn't do lunch, as she and I were really looking forward to it -- but I knew it wasn't a happening thing. Before we even left the parking lot she was asleep and didn't wake but once (to take more medicine) all the way home. I dropped her by the villa and then Dennis and I went to get the dogs from the kennel. By the time we got back to Connie's, she was sound asleep and I didn't wake her.

The other big issue is her medicine. XXXX and XXXX, I know you share this concern as well. She is taking enough pain medicine to knock out a gorilla. Besides the issues with that, she has a condition now in which she is like a hunch back. Her posture is horrible and without some intervention, she will become a permanent hunchback because the muscles in the back and shoulders which allow head-up, shoulders back, etc. will atrophy. There are more medical issues related to this -- but suffice it to say, it is not good.

XXXX and XXXX, we know it is tiresome to try and help someone who is often not willing to try to help themselves. We have often commented "if she would only try." I know I have been an enabler and I realize I am going to have to put my big girl panties on and not try and fix her life. Only she can truly make it better.

Dennis, I thank you so much for everything you do for Connie. You have been and are such a big help.

XXXX and XXXX, you are so appreciated for doing all that you do to help your Mom. You both are a gift.

XXXX and XXX, I know it is difficult for you to love her as much as you do and not be able to help with what is going on. Just keep thinking positive thoughts and remember she loves you both so very much.

I am open to any discussions about this. I am not ready to give-up on her, yet I know too that unless I change my attitude, she will never be any better but only get worse.

Love all of you so much,

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »

The other big issue is her medicine. XXXX and XXXX, I know you share this concern as well. She is taking enough pain medicine to knock out a gorilla. Besides the issues with that, she has a condition now in which she is like a hunch back. Her posture is horrible and without some intervention, she will become a permanent hunchback because the muscles in the back and shoulders which allow head-up, shoulders back, etc. will atrophy. There are more medical issues related to this -- but suffice it to say, it is not good.
I am open to any discussions about this. I am not ready to give-up on her, yet I know too that unless I change my attitude, she will never be any better but only get worse.

Love all of you so much,

Sister I just wanted to make a suggestion about Connie’s posture. Has she had a bone density done (dexascan). This stooped posture is often the result of low bone density and she can be put on meds to help stop the progression and some can rebuild the bone. After 5 yrs on Arimidex (cancer drug) my bone density was very compromised….Lumbar spine compression fractures and the loss of 1” in height.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #447 on: July 31, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »

Love all of you so much,

Sister I just wanted to make a suggestion about Connie’s posture. Has she had a bone density done (dexascan). This stooped posture is often the result of low bone density and she can be put on meds to help stop the progression and some can rebuild the bone. After 5 yrs on Arimidex (cancer drug) my bone density was very compromised….Lumbar spine compression fractures and the loss of 1” in height.

Bless you 4Donks.  Yes, the test was done.  Her condition is coming from drugs, lots and lots of pain killers.  It makes you like a zombie.

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #448 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »

Love all of you so much,

I am so sorry you are going through this Sister. If it is not the bone density, then perhaps she needs a better pain management person. She may also be depressed and using the pain meds to get over the mental pain more than physical pain.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #449 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »

Sister after reading your letter all I can say is wow. My heart breaks for all of you. While I am glad the pain meds keep her free of pain. I wish there were some other way to treat her pain. It's had not to want to help her do things when you know how hard it is. It is a fine line between helping and being an enabler. And very hard to do. I have been guilty of it many times. I read an article a while back about a new procedure for people with intense pain. It didn't involve any meds. I will look and she if I can find it and send it to you if I do. I don't know if it's anything Connie could do. But it might be an option. an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2013, 06:52:49 AM »

Has anyone heard from 4Donks?  I think I remember someone was going to get her email address if they could?

Can anyone check in with her?

Hi Caddy,

I have heard from 4Donks she is recovery from her chemo & radiation treatments. She is busy with her fur babies.  I will tell her you have been asking about her. 

Good to hear you have heard from her.

I put a shout-out to her in this thread a week or two back, and was waiting to see her post that she was okay.

Please let her know I have been thinking of her as well, Green Eyes.

Thanks!

Me too!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2013, 06:57:17 AM »

Hi

I believe in miracles!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »

Love all of you so much,

I am so sorry you are going through this Sister. If it is not the bone density, then perhaps she needs a better pain management person. She may also be depressed and using the pain meds to get over the mental pain more than physical pain.

TBM, I think you hit the nail on the head.  She is depressed and I believe she is using the pain meds for mental pain more than physical pain.  Course, that's just my opinion.  Before her stroke, she used alcohol to numb her.  It is frightening and so sad.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2013, 08:45:22 AM »

Sister after reading your letter all I can say is wow. My heart breaks for all of you. While I am glad the pain meds keep her free of pain. I wish there were some other way to treat her pain. It's had not to want to help her do things when you know how hard it is. It is a fine line between helping and being an enabler. And very hard to do. I have been guilty of it many times. I read an article a while back about a new procedure for people with intense pain. It didn't involve any meds. I will look and she if I can find it and send it to you if I do. I don't know if it's anything Connie could do. But it might be an option. an angelic monkey

Hope you find it -- I am open to all options.
Truthfully, her sons have just about had it with her because she doesn't seem to want to help herself.  More and more, she is sliding into a victim mentality and they can't handle it.  It is so complex.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #454 on: August 01, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »

Love all of you so much,

There also could be a fracture which causes a lot of pain.  They can check for that and put something sort of like cement that can fix it and get rid of the pain quite quickly.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #455 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »

Love all of you so much,

Bless you 4Donks.  Yes, the test was done.  Her condition is coming from drugs, lots and lots of pain killers.  It makes you like a zombie.

Is there a different pain killer she can go on?  Some pain killers react differently for some people and can actually have the reverse effect where they keep you awake instead of make you go to sleep.

I believe in miracles!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #456 on: August 01, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »

Love all of you so much,

Is there a different pain killer she can go on?  Some pain killers react differently for some people and can actually have the reverse effect where they keep you awake instead of make you go to sleep.

Bearly, I think the problem is she is on too many different kinds of pain medication.  We see a doctor on Wednesday and I am going to insist she see a pain management doctor.  The general physician (or their assistant) just loads her with meds to help ease her pain.  This is beyond my management and needs to be done by a professional.

Getting lots of rain today -- goody, I don't have to water the plants   

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #457 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:04 PM »

Truthfully, her sons have just about had it with her because she doesn't seem to want to help herself.  More and more, she is sliding into a victim mentality and they can't handle it.  It is so complex.

This is kind of forward of me so I will ask for forgiveness beforehand. Have you thought about a 12 step program for her? I know many people that have been drinkers that switched to pills when given the chance. If you want more info or anything, let me know. I have been hanging around the rooms for just over 8 years and I am always willing to share what I have learned.

- George Bernard Shaw
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #458 on: August 02, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »

This is kind of forward of me so I will ask for forgiveness beforehand. Have you thought about a 12 step program for her? I know many people that have been drinkers that switched to pills when given the chance. If you want more info or anything, let me know. I have been hanging around the rooms for just over 8 years and I am always willing to share what I have learned.

TBM, no need to worry.  When it comes to helping Connie, anything on the table is worth considering and the more thoughts and suggestions the better.
No, I hadn't thought about a 12 step program for her.  Let me ponder this a bit.  It certainly may be worth exploring.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #459 on: August 02, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

Sister I did find the article and sent it. But like I said after I found it. It was it for back pain. Continued prayers for you Connie George and Dennis. I think you were right in thinking she needed to see someone that specializes in pain control.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.