March 28, 2024, 06:28:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Playground - Come Join Us! (New Name Same Old Place)  (Read 1022644 times)
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1760 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »

Hello my lovely bunch of Monkeys, I miss you all very much.  Finally found my log-in, in my email.  I do read, I am up there as a guest but decided to really try to log back in today and it worked, yay.    I am making progress just by posting this and believe me that is a good thing. 

Hugs,

Magic 

Hello back to you lovely Magic Eyes.  So good to see you!   an angelic monkey
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1761 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:05 AM »

Greeting to all the monkeys from the cold north. 

JSM - 

Bearly - miss you!   

Hi Can   Good to see you. Stay warm and be careful when you go out.  an angelic monkey

Thanks GE - yesterday was a beautiful mild sunny day.  Felt so good to go out and feel comfortable in the elements.  Today, we're expecting tons of rain and hubs will check our street drain to make sure it's clear of ice and debri so we don't get the run off.

Hope you're doing o.k.   

Glad to hear you are doing well. We need some rain here. But other than that doing well. The temps keep going up and down. Can't complain. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1762 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:45 AM »

Good morning Monkeys!

Blessings to all.

Brandi - Fingers crossed that your closing will come soon.  You must be on pins and needles, waiting...

Babs - Thanks for your news on Bearly.  I don't do facebook, but if you can, please tell her I'm thinking of her.

JSM - Glad to hear your meds have been changed and you expect to feel better.  xoxo

Sister - Continued thoughts and prayers.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1763 on: February 20, 2014, 12:32:10 PM »

Good morning Monkeys!

Blessings to all.

Brandi - Fingers crossed that your closing will come soon.  You must be on pins and needles, waiting...

Babs - Thanks for your news on Bearly.  I don't do facebook, but if you can, please tell her I'm thinking of her.

JSM - Glad to hear your meds have been changed and you expect to feel better.  xoxo

Sister - Continued thoughts and prayers.

Hi can!

We saw the house on Dec. 23 and have been trying to get it since then. I won't be assured that it is ours until we close. It's been quite a roller coaster ride so far! Keep those fingers crossed for us!

Happy to hear that you got at least one enjoyable day recently up there.

I must say, with the weather here lately, my husband has not been missing the Toronto weather. LOL

It seems it has been a colder and snowier winter for many of us in the US this year.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1764 on: February 21, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »

Hope all of you in the large line of storms fared well.

Our tornado watch has expired and we got away with just a bunch of twigs and branches and gumballs down all over the place at our *current* home. (Hope the new one is okay.)

Lots of power outages in the area and some trees down.

Alabama monkeys, you all fine?

Sister, you okay too?

Kinda strange weather for February, if you ask me.

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #1765 on: February 21, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »

Our tornado watch has expired and we got away with just a bunch of twigs and branches and gumballs down all over the place at our *current* home. (Hope the new one is okay.)

Sister, you okay too?

Monkey's,

You are in my prayers.  I guess this weather is for a reason. 

Brandi,  Have not seen the word "gumball's" in years, it has brought back good memories.
No one here (where I live) ever heard of the word, I felt like a space alien. I feel right at home with the Monkey's. Smile

Thank-you

Monkey's you guys are the best!

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1766 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »

Sister, you okay too?

Monkey's,

You are in my prayers.  I guess this weather is for a reason. 

Brandi,  Have not seen the word "gumball's" in years, it has brought back good memories.
No one here (where I live) ever heard of the word, I felt like a space alien. I feel right at home with the Monkey's. Smile

Thank-you

Monkey's you guys are the best!

You make me laugh, Seahorse!

Not too many people are as fond of gumballs as you are. They are quite the nuisance for us, falling pretty much year-round onto our deck, steps and yard. And if walking in bare feet, they hurt when you step on them. LOL And if you are wearing shoes, they can upset your balance. heh

Your interest and comment about others not knowing what they are made me do a little research. Apparently, the name of the "gumball tree" is Liquidambar styraciflua or sweetgum tree. And they are native to the eastern seaboard and only grow as north as NJ. If I recall correctly, you are a bit farther north, in New England. Guess that's why no one near you has heard of them.

Here's an image to make you happy. LOL

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #1767 on: February 22, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »

Good morning Monkey's,

Brandi

Thank-you for the information.

Holy gumballs, I never knew a tree existed in Pittsburgh
I now understand the phase, "it is raining like gumballs"!

I found a link in Pittsburgh, where the trees exist.

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2011/02/20/gumballs/

To paraphrase, Boyzmom, don't worry everything will make sense.  Sorry, if I scrambled the phase, boyzmom Smile

Thank-you for opening my mind, and keeping me aware of what I should have known. 

My avatar's, love you.

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1768 on: February 22, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »

Afternoon Monkeys   Continued Prayers for all those in need. an angelic monkey

Brandi & Seahorse after reading you post and looking at the pictures of the gum tree. I remember my Aunt & Uncle having two of the trees in their front yard.  That wasn't what they called them. But we use to gather them up and paint them different colors to decorate different seasons. But they were a pain when you would try and walk around in the front of their house. While I always thought they were sycamore trees. Which have a pod also. But not like these prickly things.

Hope every ones having a nice week end. We have some friends from California coming over to visit. As they came to buy an old truck in the Dallas area. It will be wonderful seeing them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1769 on: February 23, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »

Brandi & Seahorse after reading you post and looking at the pictures of the gum tree. I remember my Aunt & Uncle having two of the trees in their front yard.  That wasn't what they called them. But we use to gather them up and paint them different colors to decorate different seasons. But they were a pain when you would try and walk around in the front of their house. While I always thought they were sycamore trees. Which have a pod also. But not like these prickly things.

Hope every ones having a nice week end. We have some friends from California coming over to visit. As they came to buy an old truck in the Dallas area. It will be wonderful seeing them.

Yes! I remember Sycamore gumballs ... quite similar, but not spikey and hard like the one I pictured above. There are many American Sycamore trees in Ohio where I grew up. Now you are bringing back memories for me! LOL

Here's an image of the Sycamore "gum ball":

Have a wonderful visit with your company!

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1770 on: February 23, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »

The sycamore pods are not as pokey as the others that's for sure. Glad you had some nice memories. Had a wonderful visit with family yesterday. To short but fun. Talk about memories. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #1771 on: February 23, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »

Yes! I remember Sycamore gumballs ... quite similar, but not spikey and hard like the one I pictured above. There are many American Sycamore trees in Ohio where I grew up. Now you are bringing back memories for me! LOL

Here's an image of the Sycamore "gum ball":

Have a wonderful visit with your company!

Good evening Monkey's,

Green Eyes & Brandy,

I can believe, Green Eyes, that you only painted the gum balls.  I figured you would have made homemade furniture.Smile
You are so industrious.  The birds did enjoy the peanut butter (cardboard roll) coated in seeds, Thank-you, very much,
for walking me through how you made the homemade birdfeeders. 

The apple is a great idea with peanut butter, or melted suet, coated in seeds. Have fun with your lucky company. 

Brandy: Thank-you for explaining why New Englander's are not aware of "gumballs". You always make feel smarter.

Liquidambar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uses

The wood is used for furniture, interior finish, paper pulp, veneers and baskets of all kinds. The heartwood once was used in furniture, sometimes as imitation mahogany or Circassian walnut. It is used widely today in flake and strand boards. Sweetgum is a foodplant for various Lepidoptera caterpillars, such as the gypsy moth. The American Sweetgum is widely planted as an ornamental, not only within its natural range.

The hardened sap, or gum resin, excreted from the wounds of the Sweetgum, for example the American Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua), can be chewed on like chewing gum and has been long used for this purpose in Southern United States.[3] The sap was also believed to be a cure for sciatica, weakness of nerves, etc.

In Chinese herbal medicine, lu lu tong, or "all roads open," is the hard, spiky fruit of native sweetgum species. It first appeared in the medical literature in Omissions from the Materia Medica, by Chen Cangqi, in 720 AD. Bitter in taste, aromatic, and neutral in temperature, lu lu tong promotes the movement of blood and Qi, water metabolism and urination, expels wind, and unblocks the channels. It is an ingredient in formulas for epigastric distention or abdominal pain, anemia, irregular or scanty menstruation, low back or knee pain and stiffness, edema with difficult urination, or nasal congestion. [4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetgum

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #1772 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »

So I am off to take my mom into the hospital. She fell on the ice last week and fractured her arm. They are putting a plate in it today.IF you could all say a small prayer for her - she is very nervous - it is her first time going under general. Amazing at 69.  an angelic monkey

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1773 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »

So I am off to take my mom into the hospital. She fell on the ice last week and fractured her arm. They are putting a plate in it today.IF you could all say a small prayer for her - she is very nervous - it is her first time going under general. Amazing at 69.  an angelic monkey

Dear Lord, we praise you for this day and may we count it all as a blessing.  May we see your hand at work throughout this day.  We are asking for your guidance for the doctors and all who treat TBM's mother.  May they be directed by your perfect knowledge.  We also ask you to cloak her with your peace and grace so she may know all is well.  In the name of Christ our Redeemer,  Amen and Amen.

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #1774 on: February 24, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »

Dear Lord, we praise you for this day and may we count it all as a blessing.  May we see your hand at work throughout this day.  We are asking for your guidance for the doctors and all who treat TBM's mother.  May they be directed by your perfect knowledge.  We also ask you to cloak her with your peace and grace so she may know all is well.  In the name of Christ our Redeemer,  Amen and Amen.

Amen and thanks sister!

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1775 on: February 24, 2014, 01:40:46 PM »

Sending Prayers & Hugs your way TBM for your mom and the family an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1776 on: February 24, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »

AMEN   an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1777 on: February 24, 2014, 03:15:02 PM »

Oh bless her heart.

I'll be thinking of her today. Thinking she'll be just fine.

Sorry she is/was nervous about the procedure.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1778 on: February 24, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »

Brandi  I have been meaning to ask how's your foot is doing?  Hoping it's better.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1779 on: February 24, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »

Sister, left you a little post in my section concerning your sig line Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.