March 28, 2024, 10:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Playground - Come Join Us! (New Name Same Old Place)  (Read 1022503 times)
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2400 on: October 26, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »

Brandi,
I am so happy for you and what a lucky pup Panda is!  Thanks for sharing her pics - I enjoyed meeting her!

We had to take the Criminal (Cadillac) to the vet yesterday.  Long story short, he thinks it might be gastric ulcers so he gave her some pills the size of Texas to take before she eats now.  (Well actually an hour before she eats - so how inconvenient is that?)

The up side for her is she gets the pill in a tiny peanut butter sandwich - she loves that.  And Chubby thinks she should get one too!

Hope everyone is doing well - it's so much quieter over here lately.

Happy Sunday to all😍😘
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2401 on: October 26, 2014, 09:43:13 AM »

Congratulations Brandi, Panda and family.

She is a beauty.

GE the kittens are so lucky to have you.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2402 on: October 26, 2014, 11:51:41 PM »

Brandi,
I am so happy for you and what a lucky pup Panda is!  Thanks for sharing her pics - I enjoyed meeting her!

We had to take the Criminal (Cadillac) to the vet yesterday.  Long story short, he thinks it might be gastric ulcers so he gave her some pills the size of Texas to take before she eats now.  (Well actually an hour before she eats - so how inconvenient is that?)

The up side for her is she gets the pill in a tiny peanut butter sandwich - she loves that.  And Chubby thinks she should get one too!

Hope everyone is doing well - it's so much quieter over here lately.

Happy Sunday to all😍😘

Bad for Cadillac and good for Cadillac, getting peanut butter sandwiches. LOL Sorry to hear about the ulcers. Hopefully they will heal soon.

I have noticed the quiet everywhere here. Sometimes I think I am talking to myself when I post.

Thanks to you and 4 Donks as well for your comments about Panda. She is coming along every day. I tend to forget how much work she has, adjusting to our lives, having been a street dog before coming to the shelter and then us. She is doing great. Still working on the barking and teaching and reinforcing stuff every day. I think she will be a great dog when all is said and done.

I can't wait until she is trustworthy to leave at home alone so I can run out to do errands, etc. I am housebound again! And I don't like that part. I only go out when hubby gets home from work! This too shall pass, but not fast enough for me.

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2403 on: October 27, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »

Brandi have you considered crate training for Panda. Both Mac (mastiff) and Skeeter (terrrier) have crates. They both crate themselves when I'm out. Both love their crates. Poor Mac, although he has the largest crate I could find, only his front end fits in the crate but he feels safe and doesn't seem to realize that he's not  completely inside. The other dogs just hang out.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #2404 on: October 28, 2014, 05:21:01 AM »

Hello monkeys.

Brandi

I have a Black E-Coat Exercise Pen, Model 552 -30.  The exercise pen is more than a "Pen" it be stretched out length wise, in case a worker or company visits.

You are wonderful to give a chance to a dog from the pound, all my dogs (except one, george) have been adopted from pound.

It is my opinion with love, patience, time, and common sense, the dogs from the pound are the best.  I wish they could talk and tells us about their lives Smile.

I found it takes about a year for a pound dog to become secure, it is so worth the wait.  I know how much patience you have, the dog is in good hands. 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2405 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:20 PM »

Congrats Brandi on your new pet!
Mine are doing great. Molly is the sweetest dog ever. She is about 90 lbs now. Lilly is as cute as ever. She has turned into a barker! Any suggestions on breaking her of that anyone?

Hope u r all doing well

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2406 on: October 30, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »

Mine are doing great. Molly is the sweetest dog ever. She is about 90 lbs now. Lilly is as cute as ever. She has turned into a barker! Any suggestions on breaking her of that anyone?

Hope u r all doing well

I found that one of those little cans of condensed air you can get specifically for training dogs works surprisingly well.  Give that a try anytime she barks.  It really gets their attention when yelling at them no doesn't 
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2407 on: October 30, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »

Hope u r all doing well

I found that one of those little cans of condensed air you can get specifically for training dogs works surprisingly well.  Give that a try anytime she barks.  It really gets their attention when yelling at them no doesn't 

Gonna look up those air things ...

Agreed, yelling anything at them, like "Stop!" "No!" "Quiet" etc. just makes them think you are joining in the barking!

I am working on "Quiet" spoken quietly with my hand up to my mouth, like "hush." It is working, but I am also giving little training treats (about the size of a jujubee, if you remember those filling pulling candies. LOL) Panda is just a barker by instinct/breed, I believe. But with patience and a lot of time, I think she'll settle down.

Oh, I have been giving her bones to chew on for like an hour at a time, and she seems to love them. She is a chewer too, Today though, she was chewing something, and I looked over and she was chewing her bed! Had some stuffing out of it! I did yell, "No!" that time. And the two other times she attacked her bed today. Have to laugh, cause it seems when one problem is kinda solved, another one rears its ugly head! Reminds me of raising a toddler. heh

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2408 on: October 31, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #2409 on: October 31, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »

Hope u r all doing well

Agreed, yelling anything at them, like "Stop!" "No!" "Quiet" etc. just makes them think you are joining in the barking!

I am working on "Quiet" spoken quietly with my hand up to my mouth, like "hush." It is working, but I am also giving little training treats (about the size of a jujubee, if you remember those filling pulling candies. LOL) Panda is just a barker by instinct/breed, I believe. But with patience and a lot of time, I think she'll settle down.

Oh, I have been giving her bones to chew on for like an hour at a time, and she seems to love them. She is a chewer too, Today though, she was chewing something, and I looked over and she was chewing her bed! Had some stuffing out of it! I did yell, "No!" that time. And the two other times she attacked her bed today. Have to laugh, cause it seems when one problem is kinda solved, another one rears its ugly head! Reminds me of raising a toddler. heh

Hi monkeys,

Brandi,

String cheese is used in training dogs.  I have not used it, but I thought I would pass it on.  I use fresh green beans, the dog like the crunch. 

Happy Halloween to all! 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2410 on: October 31, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »

Hope u r all doing well

Hi monkeys,

Brandi,

String cheese is used in training dogs.  I have not used it, but I thought I would pass it on.  I use fresh green beans, the dog like the crunch. 

Happy Halloween to all! 

Good thinking. The trainer suggested low-fat string cheese cut into little disks. I have not bought any yet. She also suggested any fresh vegetables that Panda likes. Problem is, not sure what she likes so far. We have found out she loves COOKED cauliflower, frozen blueberries (make a mess in your pocket!) and she does NOT like fresh carrots. See, we have been trying not to feed her our food, as she is on a diet and only getting a small amount of high quality dog food doled out twice a day. (I have resorted to these tiny training bits, feeding them to her just a few times a day) rather than offering her lots of people food to find out what she likes best. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2411 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:55 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-corrector-50ml/dp/B00II743LY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414861733&sr=8-3&keywords=pet+corrector

We got it to try and find a way to stop Petey from darting out the front door, nothing was working until we got this.  After using it only twice, now all we have to do is say NO when we open the front door and Petey goes the other way.  We were so afraid he'd run out and get hit by a car, it's really a great relief.

I believe it will work for anything or any time you need to really get your dogs attention.  So anything you would say NO to or STOP they will get the "hint".
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #2412 on: November 01, 2014, 06:06:59 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-corrector-50ml/dp/B00II743LY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414861733&sr=8-3&keywords=pet+corrector

We got it to try and find a way to stop Petey from darting out the front door, nothing was working until we got this.  After using it only twice, now all we have to do is say NO when we open the front door and Petey goes the other way.  We were so afraid he'd run out and get hit by a car, it's really a great relief.

I believe it will work for anything or any time you need to really get your dogs attention.  So anything you would say NO to or STOP they will get the "hint".

Thanks Klaas, I am going to share this with my granddaughter her two dogs drive grandpa crazy with their barking. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #2413 on: November 01, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »

Thanks Brandi
Hope everyone had a nice Halloween. That's one thing I really miss living in the country, no trick or treaters.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2414 on: November 01, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »

Thanks Brandi
Hope everyone had a nice Halloween. That's one thing I really miss living in the country, no trick or treaters.

We were so disappointed that we had no trick-or-treaters too. Kinda busy street with no sidewalks, and a long driveway to our house where you can't even see there is a house at the end of the driveway was probably the reason, but we had yard lights on outside and the porch light on, and pumpkins and stuff on the porch. *sigh*

Now I have to hide all the chocolate candy from myself!

Klaas:

That sounds like it would be a good training aid to go with what we are teaching her about barking. We're making some headway and things are getting better every day. I read the reviews on the link you gave, and I think we are gonna give it a shot. Excuse the pun.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2415 on: November 02, 2014, 12:58:36 AM »

How are you doing Brandi?   

Doing well, thanks, Green Eyes. Just got a new mattress and box spring delivered today. Ours needed replacing. Bought it online from SamsClub. The guys delivered it and I noticed a tear on the corner side of the mattress. Sad  The delivery people said to contact Sams, and they'd send a new one, then the guys would deliver it and remove this one. *sigh*

Also have been negotiating with the county for an easement they are requesting to put in a new waterline out by the street. They sent an agreement originally months ago, giving us no rights and only paying $1. to us. hahaha.

Then the right of way guy from the county showed up about a month ago, checking out the area, and I spoke with him. He emailed me a proposal for ~$1300 payment for the easement.

Never dealt with easement issues before, but talked to my realtor and did a lot of research about them. It's sad because they are planning on removing 5 of our trees! (One for the permanent easement and 4 that line our driveway for the temporary construction easement!) I am requesting that they reevaluate their need to remove the 4 mature cedars and pines that line the drive, and if they cannot save them, we are requesting much more money. They also will be digging up a considerable amount of our blacktop driveway. Our driveway from the street to the house is about 400 feet and lined all the way by pine and cedar trees. It is quite beautiful. Removing the 4 at the street will make our driveway much more visible and people will notice that there is a house back here. I really like that most people do not even know there is a house here! Makes me feel more secure.

So we will be losing a lot, in my mind.

So that, and doing ex-neighbor Ray's grocery shopping, making up his 2 daily pill cups, ordering his medications, scheduling his VA doctor appointments (he has 5 scheduled between now and the end of October) and trying to manage my own life and home has been keeping me busy.

No complaints, except I miss Brandi. (I know, I'll stop whining about her soon, I promise.)

How have you been managing with the grand kids back in school? Finding plenty of things to fill your time with?

Yikes!  You have your hands full with this house, but you are doing a great job dealing with it and researching everything.  I am amazed once again at the knowledge the Monkeys have at their fingertips.  You all never cease to amaze me!

You never have to stop reminiscing about Brandi.  Your name shows how much you care about her.  You are not whining, you are entitled to your feelings.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2416 on: November 02, 2014, 01:02:04 AM »

How are you doing Brandi?   

Doing well, thanks, Green Eyes. Just got a new mattress and box spring delivered today. Ours needed replacing. Bought it online from SamsClub. The guys delivered it and I noticed a tear on the corner side of the mattress. Sad  The delivery people said to contact Sams, and they'd send a new one, then the guys would deliver it and remove this one. *sigh*

Also have been negotiating with the county for an easement they are requesting to put in a new waterline out by the street. They sent an agreement originally months ago, giving us no rights and only paying $1. to us. hahaha.

Then the right of way guy from the county showed up about a month ago, checking out the area, and I spoke with him. He emailed me a proposal for ~$1300 payment for the easement.

Never dealt with easement issues before, but talked to my realtor and did a lot of research about them. It's sad because they are planning on removing 5 of our trees! (One for the permanent easement and 4 that line our driveway for the temporary construction easement!) I am requesting that they reevaluate their need to remove the 4 mature cedars and pines that line the drive, and if they cannot save them, we are requesting much more money. They also will be digging up a considerable amount of our blacktop driveway. Our driveway from the street to the house is about 400 feet and lined all the way by pine and cedar trees. It is quite beautiful. Removing the 4 at the street will make our driveway much more visible and people will notice that there is a house back here. I really like that most people do not even know there is a house here! Makes me feel more secure.

So we will be losing a lot, in my mind.

So that, and doing ex-neighbor Ray's grocery shopping, making up his 2 daily pill cups, ordering his medications, scheduling his VA doctor appointments (he has 5 scheduled between now and the end of October) and trying to manage my own life and home has been keeping me busy.

No complaints, except I miss Brandi. (I know, I'll stop whining about her soon, I promise.)

How have you been managing with the grand kids back in school? Finding plenty of things to fill your time with?

Sounds like you have been busy. Hope they can save your trees.  When we bought here there is an 8 foot easement in front and 3 foot easement on the other 3 sides.  Have no idea why the sides and back easement. We live in a rural area. There are no sewers or street lights.  Go figure.

What an Angel you are helping your old neighbor. I am sure you miss your Brandi. It takes time.

I think I slept a couple days after grandson left.  Have lots to projects on my to do list. Not that I have done many of them.   Stay busy messing around in the house. I have found it takes me longer to get things done. I don't know if it's because I am moving slower or if it's because I don't have a set schedule any more.

Hey beautiful Green Eyes!

They say if you want to get something done, give it to a busy person.  I get more done when I am busy, I think it is because it is pure adrenaline at some point.  It can't be that you are moving slower, you look as young as ever.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2417 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:17 AM »

Brandi

So sorry for your loss.
I have a double septic system..one for the washing machine, dishwasher and kitchen sink the other for the bathrooms. Have never had them pumped and don't put anything to aid them.

Sister

Welcome to the pleasures of a multi-dog household.........ENJOY

Green Eyes

Takes me longer to get things done around here too.
Had a fall about a month ago but had the sense to break my fall with my face and saved my hips and wrists from fractures. Broke some facial bones and was black and blue forever but am almost human looking again. Glad it happened on cement and not while I was mucking out the barn.

Your picture is in the dictionary under the words 'busy,' and 'awesome.' 

I live in awe of you and the things you do on your farm and the way you rescue and take care of your animals.  Not only do you have a big heart for animals, but you speak their language and have them under control, as much as can be expected.  You are also there for your family and neighbors.  You are my hero.

I am glad you did not turn into a muck face, but it sure would have been a lot softer landing.  Please take care of yourself along with the others you take care of.  I have a picture in my mind what your face looks like as it has happened to people where my Parents live, but not for the same reason.  You are always in my prayers as are the rest of the Monkeys when I am not here.  I miss you all, you are always in my thoughts.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2418 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:10 AM »

Hi 4Donks!

Hi cadillac

How are you & the fur babies doing?

Hi GE!

Thanks for asking. The mutts are fine but digging in the yard. So hubs planted new sod where they dig and they began digging up the sod.  So he has placed chicken wire with stakes over the new sod.  They are trying to figure out how to dig on top of that!!  He is furious.

Bittersweet...both hubs' and my parents are dealing with aging issues.  They are 87, 89, 91 and 94.

It is a struggle to figure out day to day what to do, how to interact, etc.  Struggles lots of monks have and are going  through.

You are sweet to ask!

I read this too fast and saw that your mutts were dancing in the yard.  Maybe that can be a new TV Show, "Dancing with the Furry Stars." 

Each season they can have have animals they rescue compete with each other while trainers teach them.  Of course, they should be on a schedule that is not as brutal as the one the stars put themselves on.  The winning stars can get a walk-on role in a TV show or movie.  It could show how trainable and lovable rescue animals are and that they don't have to adopt designer animals to get a wonderful companion. 

I am sure the idea can be tweaked to come up with a show that is a win/win.  I don't mean the animals have to learn how to dance, but to learn something new each week.  The animals won't really care about being on the screen, but their fans will care and the ratings of the adoptive show will go up, at least for that episode, and who knows, the show may gain permanent followers. 

Now you know why it is hard for me to get things done, my thoughts run around faster than I can.

Trying to get a dog not to dig is a real challenge.  Maybe they can have their own digging area or you can make the place you want to look nice out of reach of the pooches.

I feel for you and the struggles you are going through with family right now.  Our world sure is not set up to have families supporting each other and the elderly as it was years ago.  The responsibility usually falls to one person or one family and can wear you out.  Make sure you take care of yourself or you will go first. 

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2419 on: November 02, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »

Hello Monkeys!  Been a bit crazy here but I read all of your posts and think of all of you often. School is back in full swing and all the activities that go with it.

I would ask for some prayers - my hubs went in today for a routine screening colonoscopy, and the doctor found several "flat polyps" that he was concerned enough about to not only spend over an hour removing, but actually tattooed his colon for locating them in the next colonoscopy. I am sure the pathology will be fine but I am worried. His sister died from colon cancer so I know it is a possibility it will not be. I am a bit scared. Prayers please!  Love you all!

TBM  Prayers headed out for hubs and you. Positive thoughts & hugs. Sounds like they caught it early on.  an angelic monkey

I agree.  Prayers headed out for you and your family. 

an angelic monkey

I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.