March 18, 2024, 10:04:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40th Reunion Vietnam Pows  (Read 2400 times)
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/nixon-library-hosts-40th-reunion-vietnam-pows-074350044.html

....Nixon library hosts 40th reunion for Vietnam POWs
By GILLIAN FLACCUS | Associated Press – 9 mins          (EST-abt.10:30 AM) Smile

Associated Press/Sal Veder, File - FILE - This March 17, 1973 file photo shows released prisoner of war Lt. Col. Robert L. Stirm being greeted by his family at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, Calif., as

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »

Nixon Presidential Library recreates White House gala for 200 Vietnam POWs to mark the 40th anniversary of their release

- 591 Prisoners of War in Vietnam were released in the spring of 1973
- Nixon hosted 1,300 guests on The White House South Lawn for a celebratory dinner on May 24, 1973, the largest dinner ever
- The meal included All-American fare of sirloin steak, fingerling potatoes and strawberry mousse
- Nearly 200 former POWs will travel to the Nixon Presidential Library on Friday to recreate the affair on the 40th anniversary

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2329693/Nixon-Presidential-Library-recreates-White-House-gala-200-Vietnam-POWs-mark-40th-anniversary-release.html#ixzz2UESkecIu

I was too young to understand the whole Watergate thing and pay attention.  I think Nixon's image is being rehabilitated by Barack Obama...

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »

Nixon's image can never be rehabilitated, IMO and I'm NOT too young to remember.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »

Nixon's image can never be rehabilitated, IMO and I'm NOT too young to remember.

ITA.  Nixon's image can never be rehabilitated and I'm NOT to young to remember either. 

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/03/nixon-prolonged-vietnam-war-for-political-gain-and-johnson-knew-about-it-newly-unclassified-tapes-suggest/
March 18, 2013 1:45 pm
Nixon Prolonged Vietnam War for Political Gain—And Johnson Knew About It, Newly Unclassified Tapes Suggest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8qBEqpOhc
Creedence Clearwater Revival Fortunate Son Vietnam

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »

ITA.  Nixon's image can never be rehabilitated and I'm NOT to young to remember either. 

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/03/nixon-prolonged-vietnam-war-for-political-gain-and-johnson-knew-about-it-newly-unclassified-tapes-suggest/
March 18, 2013 1:45 pm
Nixon Prolonged Vietnam War for Political Gain—And Johnson Knew About It, Newly Unclassified Tapes Suggest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8qBEqpOhc
Creedence Clearwater Revival Fortunate Son Vietnam

Perhaps Nixon's record will be bested by Obama? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

I think its more important to remember the POW's and all those who fought and died in Vietnam.

There is much blame to go around from a political standpoint with that war for both the Republican and Democrats. Sadly, that is what happens when one's objective is not to obliterate your enemy. The US soldiers were not responsible for what happened in Vietnam, the politicians were.

I was a little young for Watergate, although being a history major am familiar with it. Funny thing is I actually met both Pat and Richard Nixon, believe it or not. The home healthcare company I worked for actually took care of Pat in NJ. That was an experience. Guess I had an FBI record at a rather young age. Smile

Anyhow, I give a salute to all those who served n Vietnam and those who were POW's and MIA. God bless.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 09:26:19 PM »

I think its more important to remember the POW's and all those who fought and died in Vietnam.

There is much blame to go around from a political standpoint with that war for both the Republican and Democrats. Sadly, that is what happens when one's objective is not to obliterate your enemy. The US soldiers were not responsible for what happened in Vietnam, the politicians were.

I was a little young for Watergate, although being a history major am familiar with it. Funny thing is I actually met both Pat and Richard Nixon, believe it or not. The home healthcare company I worked for actually took care of Pat in NJ. That was an experience. Guess I had an FBI record at a rather young age. Smile

Anyhow, I give a salute to all those who served n Vietnam and those who were POW's and MIA. God bless.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »

I remember, VN, I did not understand it, wading in rice paddies, being eating by bugs, and not having a showder in a week, is something no one could understand, except the person who was there.

I wonder, if the troops feel forgotten, overseas, since, the present war is not everyday news?  It is hot in the desert, for these troups.

I guess, (at least) there is no draft or lottery system like in VD.

God bless all our troops, past and present, and their families.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »

I think what was sad at the time with Vietnam is that so many soldiers came home and were treated like villains because the politics played a larger part than the soldier.

The soldiers were doing what was asked of them, as they always have. For those who protested and called them "baby-killers" they to were afforded the liberties that the soldiers provided. Just take a good look at what happened in Vietnam after the US pulled out, i.e. the Killing Fields. It makes me wonder whether those that did protest the troops ever considered what it would have been like to live in a country like North Vietnam?
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »

I think what was sad at the time with Vietnam is that so many soldiers came home and were treated like villains because the politics played a larger part than the soldier.

The soldiers were doing what was asked of them, as they always have. For those who protested and called them "baby-killers" they to were afforded the liberties that the soldiers provided. Just take a good look at what happened in Vietnam after the US pulled out, i.e. the Killing Fields. It makes me wonder whether those that did protest the troops ever considered what it would have been like to live in a country like North Vietnam?

Very sad, but true. 

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »

Very sad, but true. 

How many stories come out every year about baby killers in big urban areas like Chicago?

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »

Very sad, but true. 

How many stories come out every year about baby killers in big urban areas like Chicago?

I don't think you get it WhiskeyGirl and you never will if you don't want to.  There's a big difference.  That's all I've got to say.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.